As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

the BEER thread

• Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    For the beer newbies:

The best thing to do is first find out which kind of beers you like; ales, lagers, porters, hefeweizen, stouts, etc. Then out of those find out which kind you like best (light, dark, amber, American pale ales, IPAs, etc).

Then every time you go to the grocery store, pick up a different 6-pack of the types you like. The best thing about beer is experimenting.

The second best thing is the beer experience. This means go hit up brewpubs, especially if you ever do travelling, either domestically or abroad. Luckily I live in the Pacific Northwest, so finding interesting little places with good beer comes pretty easy :)

Edit: BTW my friend (huge beer snob) pours German imported stuff into beer pong cups

Zenitram on
  • Options
    Seaborn111Seaborn111 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Harp beer is my weakness. I crave the stuff.

beer favorite number 2 is take a guinness bottle, down it, then fill it with scoresby scotch.

it's a good party pick me up

Seaborn111 on
    </bush>
    It's impossible for us to without a doubt prove the non-existence of God. We just have to take it on faith that he's imaginary..
  • Options
    QuazarQuazar Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Shogun wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    or never.

I prefer never.

well I can't turn down a game of pong
    The biggest problem with Natty Lite is the horrible, HORRIBLE beer gas it gives you. >_<

Quazar on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    atl7hahahazo7.png
    XBL: QuazarX
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Zenitram wrote: »
    For the beer newbies:

The best thing to do is first find out which kind of beers you like; ales, lagers, porters, hefeweizen, stouts, etc. Then out of those find out which kind you like best (light, dark, amber, American pale ales, IPAs, etc).

I need a chart of this shit or something.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You guys know of some beer that doesn't taste like a dude farted on a cold pipe and collected the condensation in a bottle?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm posting in this thread 'cause I prefer it to coffee.

I like Leinenkugel's (sp?) Sunset Wheat. Also, the Special Dark. And the Honey Weiss. And pretty much everything else they brew.

There's also this amazing red that the local irish brewpub makes. It's so fucking creamy. It's like they brewed it with milk or something.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Quazar wrote: »
    or never.

I prefer never.

The biggest problem with Natty Lite is the horrible, HORRIBLE beer gas it gives you. >_<

im sorry what is beer gas

Shogun on
  • Options
    imbalancedimbalanced Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You guys know of some beer that doesn't taste like a dude farted on a cold pipe and collected the condensation in a bottle?

Blasphemy! I guess you could go with hard ciders, like Woodchuck, Hardcore, or Hornsby's. Or you could go the malt beverage route, I recommend SPARKS! http://www.sparks.com/home.do

I had some organic beer the other day that tasted like chocolate milk, but I forget the name (I think it was a wheat or oat). It was at Whole Foods, if you have one of those in your area.

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
    Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!:
  • Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    redx wrote: »
    Old Speckled Hen...

It is shite.

Someone recommended it to me in a prior beer thread.

I don't know why they hate me.

Yes, yes, a thousand times, yes. I have NEVER understood the appeal of Old Speckled Hen. One of my good friends (a wine and beer snob) talks about it as if were the sweet nectar of the gods, but to me, it tastes as if someone took a dozen skunks, fed them through a grape press, and brewed the leftovers in a chamberpot.

On the other hand, since I'm on the topic of English ales, Boddingtons is fantastic.

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    RobloRoblo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh my god, a Skullsplitter bottle! (page 2) Skullsplitter is a favorite at my Uni's beer festival (they bring one keg of everything else, and about 4 of that stuff). i love it, but never seen the bottle before (it has a viking on it! even better), didnt realize it was from orkney either.

I also like Waggledance, which is nice and light with a hint of honey. Spitfire is nice (and they have fantastic adverts (no nazi aftertaste!)).

i generally try whatever is on tap at the pub, they usually change weekly, so you get to try out a nice selection. most of them from local breweries.

Roblo on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    For the beer newbies:

Then every time you go to the grocery store, pick up a different 6-pack of the types you like. The best thing about beer is experimenting.

The second best thing is the beer experience. This means go hit up brewpubs, especially if you ever do travelling, either domestically or abroad. Luckily I live in the Pacific Northwest, so finding interesting little places with good beer comes pretty easy :)

Edit: BTW my friend (huge beer snob) pours German imported stuff into beer pong cups

Sounds like a douche, but I want to go to his parties:lol:

Sam on
  • Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Roblo wrote: »
    Oh my god, a Skullsplitter bottle! (page 2) Skullsplitter is a favorite at my Uni's beer festival (they bring one keg of everything else, and about 4 of that stuff). i love it, but never seen the bottle before (it has a viking on it! even better), didnt realize it was from orkney either.

I also like Waggledance, which is nice and light with a hint of honey. Spitfire is nice (and they have fantastic adverts (no nazi aftertaste!)).

i generally try whatever is on tap at the pub, they usually change weekly, so you get to try out a nice selection. most of them from local breweries.
    Dear sweet Buddha, which Uni is this? I've only ever had Skullsplitter out of a bottle - it must be incredible coming straight from the tap.

You, sir, are my new best friend. Let us ready the longboats and pillage the nearest liquor store in celebration.

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    or never.

I prefer never.

im sorry what is beer gas

It's like there's a swamp in your tummy and all the animals in the world pooped into it. Then the swamp was drained to build a group of condominiums, but the pipes were installed incorrectly and leaked into the ground. Then 10 years later some drunk child decided to dig to China and hit the remains of the swamp. The gas that's been fermenting trapped in the ground was released and sounded like the entire city of Chicago farting at the same time. That kid is dead now. His body was stripped to the bone. That's beer gas.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited July 2007
    I've grown quite fond of Anchor Steam Beer as well
    Anchor Steam Porter is great, but hard to find on the East Coast.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    cyphrcyphr Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm somewhat of a beer noob as well, having just turned 21 in May, but I'm trying as many different kinds as I can. A friend and I went out last night and found this really great place in Lexington, KY (we're both here on internships) called Pazzo's. We asked for a list of beers and they gave us this pamphlet with well over 100 beers.

I tried an Aventinus (I asked for a Gulden Draak, but they didn't have any, so she recommended me something strong), and it was very good - fruity and very full, you could definitely taste the strength. But then, my friends, I ordered what was easily the best beer I've ever tasted.

Chimay Red.

I cannot begin to describe how wonderful this beer is - fruity with just the right amount of bitterness, smooth as the touch of a woman, the most beautiful aftertaste. Zomgsex.

Oh, my friend had a Grolsch (very dry beer from Belgium, not bad) and a Hobgoblin. I had a sip of the Hobgoblin, and that was really, really delicious. Mmm chocolate.

cyphr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NexusSixNexusSix Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm also a beer noob.

I love me some Guinness and New Castle.

A lot of people here in GA like the Sweetwater brews. I've never liked them. I have another friend who likes Blue Moon. I didn't like that either. :-/

And yes I will stoop to drinking Natty Lite, but only at a party when it's all that's left.

Regarding Guinness and New Castle, Michelob makes a pretty awesome brew called Honey Lager. I've been having trouble finding it the last couple of years though, so I'm not sure if they're still brewing it. Once football gets started and autumn arrives, if you see it anywhere, pick it up. It's the perfect fall drink--sweet and creamy.

If you didn't dig Blue Moon, you might want to try wheat beers like Hoegaarden, Celis or Franziskaner weiss. If you're like me you might not be digging on that peppery coriander taste. Once Blue Moon warms up, the coriander is even more pronounced. The 3 wheats I have listed don't have that peppery taste and are smooth, refreshing, and great for summer beer consumption. They also go great with some fish on the grill.

NexusSix on
    REASON - Version 1.0B7 Gatling type 3 mm hypervelocity railgun system
    Ng Security Industries, Inc.
    PRERELEASE VERSION-NOT FOR FIELD USE - DO NOT TEST IN A POPULATED AREA
    -ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
  • Options
    GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    On the other hand, since I'm on the topic of English ales, Boddingtons is fantastic.

Boddies is a beer, not an ale - still tastes good though.

I think this is where the whole "English drink warm beer" thing stems from. Real ale is meant to be drunk at cellar temperature i.e. cool, but not chilled like lager or beer. That's why ale and cider are good for festivals because you just cover the barrels with wet towels overnight and it's the perfect temperature by morning.
    cyphr wrote:
    I'm somewhat of a beer noob as well, having just turned 21 in May, but I'm trying as many different kinds as I can.

Then you should check this site out
    There are over 2,500 different real ales brewed regularly in the UK. With such an amazing range of different beer styles, such as bitters, old ales, milds, barley wines and stouts and the biggest variety of draught beers in the World it’s no wonder that tasting British real ales has become every bit as sophisticated as tasting wine.

Gorak on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm also a beer noob.

I love me some Guinness and New Castle.

A lot of people here in GA like the Sweetwater brews. I've never liked them. I have another friend who likes Blue Moon. I didn't like that either. :-/

And yes I will stoop to drinking Natty Lite, but only at a party when it's all that's left.

If you want a cheap beer pong beer just get Miller Light. It's not good beer but you won't vomit afterwards.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Flying%20dog%20gonzo.gif

Got up this morning and grabbed one of these. I'm a fan of Flying Dog, but I never seem to find anything spectacular out of them. That was until just now. It's called Gonzo Imperial Porter, and that's a picture of Hunter S. Thompson on the bottle there, so you know it's quality.

Go out, buy it, drink it, and be elated at the sweet, dry, creamy experience that it is.

Edit: Coffee, that's what it is. Well, not really. It's what coffee should be. Shit is blacker than the black bodies on an electric stove, and it comes across like thick, velvet, sweetened, malty coffee in your mouth. Fucking delicious.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    We were introduced to Black and Tan's a few weeks ago by some random guy we met in the liquor store. Get a big glass, pour a Guinness in it, then pout in a Bass. It is supposed to separate out, but we never did get ours too. On the other hand, it is incredibly tasty. The foam is almost like what you'd get on a root beer float.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    We were introduced to Black and Tan's a few weeks ago by some random guy we met in the liquor store. Get a big glass, pour a Guinness in it, then pout in a Bass. It is supposed to separate out, but we never did get ours too. On the other hand, it is incredibly tasty. The foam is almost like what you'd get on a root beer float.

Black and Tans were my drink of choice for a long damned time. The guy's an idiot though, because you pour the Bass first, then the Guinness. Guinness is carbonated with a much lighter gas than Bass, so it sits on top better. The best way to do it is to take a spoon, flip it over so the convex side is on top, and pour the Guinness very slowly over that into the Bass.

Bass and Guinness are only used in America, though. Generally, you'll get the pub's preferences in a B&T on the Isles. You get ridiculed for asking it to be made with Guinness. I did, at least, and I learned that there are much better beers to use for a B&T.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Black and Tans were my drink of choice for a long damned time. The guy's an idiot though, because you pour the Bass first, then the Guinness. Guinness is carbonated with a much lighter gas than Bass, so it sits on top better. The best way to do it is to take a spoon, flip it over so the convex side is on top, and pour the Guinness very slowly over that into the Bass.

Bass and Guinness are only used in America, though. Generally, you'll get the pub's preferences in a B&T on the Isles. You get ridiculed for asking it to be made with Guinness. I did, at least, and I learned that there are much better beers to use for a B&T.

You sir, are my hero. Though I don't really blame the guy for getting em swapped. He was tired from driving all day after getting married in the morning. So it was cool. We all congratsed him and thanked him for the tip. I shall stop by the liquor store (which is <.5 blocks from my house. WIN!) when I go home, and make me some proper B&T. What better beers do they use in the UK that I'd have a reasonable chance of finding in Kansas?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    imbalanced wrote: »

Blasphemy! I guess you could go with hard ciders, like Woodchuck, Hardcore, or Hornsby's. Or you could go the malt beverage route, I recommend SPARKS! http://www.sparks.com/home.do

I had some organic beer the other day that tasted like chocolate milk, but I forget the name (I think it was a wheat or oat). It was at Whole Foods, if you have one of those in your area.

Energy Beer? You've got to be kidding me.

On an unrelated note, Anheuser Busch makes some putrid shit.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007

You sir, are my hero. Though I don't really blame the guy for getting em swapped. He was tired from driving all day after getting married in the morning. So it was cool. We all congratsed him and thanked him for the tip. I shall stop by the liquor store (which is <.5 blocks from my house. WIN!) when I go home, and make me some proper B&T. What better beers do they use in the UK that I'd have a reasonable chance of finding in Kansas?

Any dark stout and any draught bitter. Given the color and texture of the beer I posted on the bottom of the last page, I really want to try to make one with that. I don't know what would go with it, though. As for various combinations, I know that you can use Smithwick's, Sapporo, some Sam Adam's lager I can't remember the name of, or my favorite, Blue Moon, all of those instead of Bass, but they're all going to be a bit different than your standard B&T.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I kind of miss Molson Kick. What happened to that stuff?

LaOs on
  • Options
    NexusSixNexusSix Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Got up this morning and grabbed one of these.

You are a god among men.

A.M. drinking: it's 5:00 P.M. somewhere, mirite?

NexusSix on
    REASON - Version 1.0B7 Gatling type 3 mm hypervelocity railgun system
    Ng Security Industries, Inc.
    PRERELEASE VERSION-NOT FOR FIELD USE - DO NOT TEST IN A POPULATED AREA
    -ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    NexusSix wrote: »
    Got up this morning and grabbed one of these.

You are a god among men.

A.M. drinking: it's 5:00 P.M. somewhere, mirite?

I... I don't know if I'm ashamed to admit this or not, but I have a beer for meals. Like, the beer is the meal for me.
    I'm sorry, liver. I really am.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Well, you get your carbs in. Ready for a hard days work.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I like beer, and I'm thinking about brewing my own at home with some of my friends.

Anarchy Rules! on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I plan on doing that either later in the summer or during the fall.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Another good beer I like is Lowenbrau. (not sure if I spelled that right).

Its German, i think. I'm sure they have bottles but all I buy are the tall cans.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    chimay-grande-reserve-200.jpg

And yes, the special glass is required.

delirium_brune.jpg

Also wonderful, and it has a pink elephant on the label, so it's popular with all the gay conservatives.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Another good beer I like is Lowenbrau. (not sure if I spelled that right).

Its German, i think. I'm sure they have bottles but all I buy are the tall cans.

I've seen that. I don't think there's a W in the name, just dots over some vowels. Is it any good, though? What's it like?

LaOs on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I used to find it really bitter but I guess my tastes have changed, because I find it only slightly bitter now.

I'm having trouble thinking of something to compare it to....

Its like a dark German beer, but lighter tasting. If that makes any sense.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Nocturnum

Also wonderful, and it has a pink elephant on the label, so it's popular with all the gay conservatives.

I have to say, I like Nocturnum, but the Tremens is so much better. For me, at least. More pleasent to drink.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    im glad it's that blatant. their art always was extremely similar to the art in the book Fear and Loathing... Ralph Steadman is the artists name I believe.

glad it's not just a coincidence.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, that's the guy. Spelling may be diffrent, but I'm incapable of noticing that kind of stuff.

I'm currently sipping on some Rouge Mocha Porter, and I got some microbrew'ed IPA downstairs in the fridge.

there a small liquor/beer/tobacco shop a mile or so away that just opened up. It has a pretty good selection. Even though the pricing isn't the best, I'm totally planning on doing my part to help support it.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    There's a quote on the bottle - "Good people drink good beer." HST

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    For the beer newbies:

I need a chart of this shit or something.

Best I can find: www.beeradvocate.com

Zenitram on
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    occasionally
    02-2CircusBoy.jpg

but more often
    yuengling.jpg
    or
    corona.jpg

SaraLuna on