As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PSP Version 1.5 - Are You Upgrading?

2

Posts

  • core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I still have a fat DS. I'm not even close to thinking about getting a new PSP.



    Also, why are there so many reports of people breaking their PSPs? I got mine in 2005, and it's still perfect.

    core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    JPS3 wrote: »
    titmouse wrote: »
    Rook wrote: »
    h8b1llg8ts wrote: »
    My question is UMD sales are up?

    That's like keeping count of all the NGage sales ...

    UMD sales are much higher than the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray sales, I think once the dropped the price on them, they've been doing fairly healthily.

    Isn't that like being much higher than the bottom of the barrel?

    Edit: Am I the only person who doesn't like the idea of redesigns having faster load times than before? I don't like the idea of having something that affects games that much in a redesign.

    Its not like it stops people from playing games if they have the older version. Its just a perk of the new version. Its not game breaking, is what I'm saying, so there isn't really a problem.

    Load times are really annoying on a handheld. There is also a chance that gaming companies will make PSP games with the new PSP in mind while ignoring how long the load times are for the older model.

    Couscous on
  • h8b1llg8tsh8b1llg8ts Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    JPS3, I am too such a whore. My wife bought me my original PSP back in April of 2005 but nothing like this last forever. I must have the newest and the greatest.

    I MUST, I MUST, I MUST!!!

    And even though it's got an inch of dust on it and the last game I played on it was the Loco Roco demo at last years E3 ...

    h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif
    MAX: Liz I really, really wish that this could be something, you know, more. But it can't. We're just...

    LIZ: Different.

    VOICE-OVER: It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.
  • JPS3JPS3 regular
    edited July 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    JPS3 wrote: »
    titmouse wrote: »
    Edit: Am I the only person who doesn't like the idea of redesigns having faster load times than before? I don't like the idea of having something that affects games that much in a redesign.

    Its not like it stops people from playing games if they have the older version. Its just a perk of the new version. Its not game breaking, is what I'm saying, so there isn't really a problem.

    Load times are really annoying on a handheld. There is also a chance that gaming companies will make PSP games with the new PSP in mind while ignoring how long the load times are for the older model.

    Yeah, point taken. That would really suck. I would hope that developers would be smarter than that... but...

    JPS3 on
    On the subject of the Zero Punctuation Bioshock Review:
    Gyral wrote: »
    Renzo wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »
    I didn't much care for the Bioshock review. It didn't deliver on the funnies like the previous reviews, but it wasn't bad.

    The ending was very weak, though. Usually his videos have good endings.

    Did you just review a review?

    I found reVerse's review to be too short and a little light on content and quality. Still, his punctuation and sentence structure was better than most.
    Amazon Wishlist
  • LachLach Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I just sold my old PSP a few weeks ago and I'm all over the white Star Wars model.

    Lach on
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I still have a fat DS. I'm not even close to thinking about getting a new PSP.



    Also, why are there so many reports of people breaking their PSPs? I got mine in 2005, and it's still perfect.

    Dunno... 10 years olds that do not care about proper handling of electronic devices? I don't exactly how solid the psp actually is, but I have the impression that it's not as child-proof as a GBA or a DS.

    Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    See, I thought the majority of movie studios stopped production on UMD's because they weren't selling, and retailers mostly stopped selling them for the same reason. Who's still making them? Hell, who's still selling them?

    Being able to play them now on a TV is a great step... but its still fundamentally flawed. It turns the PSP into a virtual portable DVD player. Perfect for people who are always traveling. Watch the movie on the go, and be able to finish it on a TV when you get there. Too bad this isn't the demographic they're trying to sell it to. They're trying to sell to 14-19 year olds now, remember? Even then, the idea is still flawed because of the versatility of DVD's. If you were traveling around a whole lot, it's far simpler to get a cheap portable DVD player and use those. You still have the ability to watch your movies on any DVD player at home, rather than be forever tied and tethered to the PSP. Good idea, looks great on paper, but falls apart when you actually sit down and think about it.

    The ability to output games on a TV is much better. But the PSP could never quite shake the stigma of being just a portable PS2. "Why would I want to play the game on a handheld when I can just play it on a PS2". Doing this is really going to amplify this perception that people have. "I can play Liberty City Stories on a TV through the PSP... or I can just buy the PS2 version...".

    The greatest use I can imagine for this though is ripping movies or TV shows onto the computer, then putting the video files onto the memory stick. Now you can watch your stuff on the go, or on the nearest TV whenever. But again, wrong demographic. And not only that, that just furthers the #1 problem that the PSP is facing: People are buying the system, but they're not buying any games.

    The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • HorusHorus Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ok my friend told me the PSP can now play PS1 games in memory stick, is that true?? My sis took her PS1 and I have PS2 but I never play it because I am lame like that. I prefer PC games over all and hand held, love my DS lite.

    Horus on
    “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
    ― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!
  • AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If the battery is a lot better, and the load times are a lot better, I might get one of these. I will not be getting rid of my 1.5 original PSP any time soon though. All depends on what they mean by better.

    Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Horus wrote: »
    Ok my friend told me the PSP can now play PS1 games in memory stick, is that true?? My sis took her PS1 and I have PS2 but I never play it because I am lame like that. I prefer PC games over all and hand held, love my DS lite.

    True. There are 2 ways of doing it.

    1: Buy PS1 games through Sony's online store and download them to your PSP. Requires a PS3 though.

    2: Using a custom firmware, rip your own PS1 games onto the memory stick and play those. Can't go into more detail that that though due to forum rules.

    The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • h8b1llg8tsh8b1llg8ts Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Horus wrote: »
    Ok my friend told me the PSP can now play PS1 games in memory stick, is that true?? My sis took her PS1 and I have PS2 but I never play it because I am lame like that. I prefer PC games over all and hand held, love my DS lite.


    Not unless you have a PS3 and rebuy an emulated edition of the game. But then you'll need a pretty phat memory stick on top of that.

    $599 + $169 + $129 + $7 - $10 = Portable PS1 games

    I don't see that adding up right ..

    h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif
    MAX: Liz I really, really wish that this could be something, you know, more. But it can't. We're just...

    LIZ: Different.

    VOICE-OVER: It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'll probably get one eventually, once the price drops a bit further.

    But I'm not sure this will really have the same effect the DS Lite did. The DS Fat was, let's face it, kinda ugly. The Lite redesign sexed things up a bit, making it more attractive to the average customer.

    This re-design... it really doesn't change much, at least as far as what Joe Average will notice. I applaud the faster load times, because that's apparently a big problem in the current design. But overall, it's not too much to get excited about.

    cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Mangaroo wrote: »
    err hell n000 what is the point, its a tiinnccy whincy bit thinner and lighter i think only hardcore sony loyals would buy this if they had a psp already....unless ur R-h-h-h-eallllyy into the psp... O.o'

    I'm not sure what you are doing but I don't like it.

    Accualt on
  • OfficeBuddyOfficeBuddy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This is tempting... Hopefully it'll push down the price of second hand first iteration ones as well, which
    would be nice as well.

    OfficeBuddy on
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This is tempting... Hopefully it'll push down the price of second hand first iteration ones as well, which would be nice as well.

    If I could find someone who would buy my old PSP for $100 I'd probably go for the new one. :P

    LockeCole on
  • h8b1llg8tsh8b1llg8ts Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    LockeCole wrote: »
    This is tempting... Hopefully it'll push down the price of second hand first iteration ones as well, which would be nice as well.

    If I could find someone who would buy my old PSP for $100 I'd probably go for the new one. :P

    What are they going for on Ebay now a days?

    h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif
    MAX: Liz I really, really wish that this could be something, you know, more. But it can't. We're just...

    LIZ: Different.

    VOICE-OVER: It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    h8b1llg8ts wrote: »
    LockeCole wrote: »
    This is tempting... Hopefully it'll push down the price of second hand first iteration ones as well, which would be nice as well.

    If I could find someone who would buy my old PSP for $100 I'd probably go for the new one. :P

    What are they going for on Ebay now a days?

    About that actually, I hate ebay, but I think I might sig that and hope a PAer bites lol.

    LockeCole on
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    h8b1llg8ts wrote: »
    Horus wrote: »
    Ok my friend told me the PSP can now play PS1 games in memory stick, is that true?? My sis took her PS1 and I have PS2 but I never play it because I am lame like that. I prefer PC games over all and hand held, love my DS lite.


    Not unless you have a PS3 and rebuy an emulated edition of the game. But then you'll need a pretty phat memory stick on top of that.

    $599 + $169 + $129 + $7 - $10 = Portable PS1 games

    I don't see that adding up right ..

    Most PS1 games are less than 700=800megs in size, so a 2 gig stick is enough really, and those can be found for around 35ish.

    ronzo on
  • h8b1llg8tsh8b1llg8ts Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ronzo wrote: »
    h8b1llg8ts wrote: »
    Horus wrote: »
    Ok my friend told me the PSP can now play PS1 games in memory stick, is that true?? My sis took her PS1 and I have PS2 but I never play it because I am lame like that. I prefer PC games over all and hand held, love my DS lite.


    Not unless you have a PS3 and rebuy an emulated edition of the game. But then you'll need a pretty phat memory stick on top of that.

    $599 + $169 + $129 + $7 - $10 = Portable PS1 games

    I don't see that adding up right ..

    Most PS1 games are less than 700=800megs in size, so a 2 gig stick is enough really, and those can be found for around 35ish.

    Serious? Damn I think I paid back in 05 like $90 for my 512k .... that's how out of touch I am with my PSP ...

    h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif
    MAX: Liz I really, really wish that this could be something, you know, more. But it can't. We're just...

    LIZ: Different.

    VOICE-OVER: It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I can barely tell the difference between the redesign and the old one. Looks like it was shrunk horizontally a little bit and the speakers are moved down.

    The only reason I could ever justify purchasing a PSP is for MGS: PO and MGA. And maybe Lumines.

    SirToasty on
  • ShinAkumaShinAkuma Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Can anyone tell me where the heck the video out port is on this thing? Everywhere i've been to that has pictures of this thing seems to have no indication of such a port existing.

    ShinAkuma on
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    h8b1llg8ts wrote: »
    ronzo wrote: »
    h8b1llg8ts wrote: »
    Horus wrote: »
    Ok my friend told me the PSP can now play PS1 games in memory stick, is that true?? My sis took her PS1 and I have PS2 but I never play it because I am lame like that. I prefer PC games over all and hand held, love my DS lite.


    Not unless you have a PS3 and rebuy an emulated edition of the game. But then you'll need a pretty phat memory stick on top of that.

    $599 + $169 + $129 + $7 - $10 = Portable PS1 games

    I don't see that adding up right ..

    Most PS1 games are less than 700=800megs in size, so a 2 gig stick is enough really, and those can be found for around 35ish.

    Serious? Damn I think I paid back in 05 like $90 for my 512k .... that's how out of touch I am with my PSP ...

    Depends on the brand, the SONY branded ones tend to be pretty pricey for the size. You can get a 2gig scandisk Pro Duo stick for $40 on amazon.

    LockeCole on
  • core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I remember I played the shit out of Untold Legends when I first got my PSP.

    core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Horus wrote: »
    Ok my friend told me the PSP can now play PS1 games in memory stick, is that true?? My sis took her PS1 and I have PS2 but I never play it because I am lame like that. I prefer PC games over all and hand held, love my DS lite.

    It is possible, yes. I've been playing Mega Man Legends and Front Mission 3 on my PSP and it's great. Keep in mind that you probably won't be able to rip your own PSX games and put them on your PSP, as the exploits that allow you to do so will no doubt be fixed. You'll still be able to play official PSX games that Sony puts out, but there aren't many. They don't even have a Final Fantasy yet.

    MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • LachLach Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    LockeCole wrote: »
    h8b1llg8ts wrote: »
    LockeCole wrote: »
    This is tempting... Hopefully it'll push down the price of second hand first iteration ones as well, which would be nice as well.

    If I could find someone who would buy my old PSP for $100 I'd probably go for the new one. :P

    What are they going for on Ebay now a days?

    About that actually, I hate ebay, but I think I might sig that and hope a PAer bites lol.

    My girlfriend's mom bought mine for her son for $100 and I threw in Ridge Racer. My heart was full of regret until I heard about the Star Wars edition.

    Lach on
  • j0hnz3rj0hnz3r Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I owned a PSP from launch for about 1.5 years. I sold my PSP to buy a bright, new DS Lite. Not enough games. I have a thing about owning systems that cost more than the sum total of games I own for it.

    This is not enough of a change to make the system attractive to me. When they make one even smaller, like a Sidekick, and add built in, 8GB of memory w/ expandable stick port, I 'll be all over it.

    Video out is stupid to me. $200 for a portable system I can play games and movies on the TV with. I could by a PStwo for that, plus some more. I'm not saying some people won't find it a selling point, it's just not one for me.

    j0hnz3r on
    jedi_watchtower.png
  • xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    SegaNomad.jpg

    I can't believe no one has made that reference, yet. I know there are differences (major ones), but COME ON! This bad boy had a video out, too, making it a nice portable Genesis!

    xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Well the TV out option is very nice. I might actually be convinced to finish some PSP games now. Playing a game like MGA is hard when you are in a Dark environment. Or at least it made my eyes hurt even with the brightness turned up. But the big question is has Sony fixed the now infamous [] button issue.

    Artoria on
  • h8b1llg8tsh8b1llg8ts Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    SegaNomad.jpg

    I can't believe no one has made that reference, yet. I know there are differences (major ones), but COME ON! This bad boy had a video out, too, making it a nice portable Genesis!

    Don't forget it's sister the Game Gear had a plug in TV unit.

    And speaking of TV out that Nomad was my Genesis for like two years too ...

    h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif
    MAX: Liz I really, really wish that this could be something, you know, more. But it can't. We're just...

    LIZ: Different.

    VOICE-OVER: It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    But I'm not sure this will really have the same effect the DS Lite did. The DS Fat was, let's face it, kinda ugly. The Lite redesign sexed things up a bit, making it more attractive to the average customer.

    Actually, the Lite redesign looks like ass and it's too small. The only upside is the new screen and while it's nice, I can do just fine without it.

    Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • DaybreakDaybreak Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    dragonsama wrote: »
    But the big question is has Sony fixed the now infamous [] button issue.

    I'm pretty sure they have. I'm on my second PSP (fucked up the screen on the first one while modding it) and it has a much better [] button and a much more responsive dpad. I can't remember exactly when I bought this one, maybe a year and a half ago?

    Daybreak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Daybreak wrote: »
    dragonsama wrote: »
    But the big question is has Sony fixed the now infamous [] button issue.

    I'm pretty sure they have. I'm on my second PSP (fucked up the screen on the first one while modding it) and it has a much better [] button and a much more responsive dpad. I can't remember exactly when I bought this one, maybe a year and a half ago?

    What is this issue? I've had my PSP awhile (not sure on the date I got it) but haven't had (or heard) about this problem.

    LockeCole on
  • cwapfobrainscwapfobrains Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm enjoying playing Cave Story on my PSP too much to replace it. If the custom firmware stops being able to be upgraded, i might consider getting another PSP to play the new games.

    cwapfobrains on
    camo_sig.png
    LoL Summoner: infobrains | XBL: cwap4brains | PSN: infobrains
  • DaybreakDaybreak Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm enjoying playing Cave Story on my PSP too much to replace it. If the custom firmware stops being able to be upgraded, i might consider getting another PSP to play the new games.

    I'm thinking the same thing. If there are no longer any more custom firmwares (which is doubtful) and I'm stuck at 3.40 OE-A, then buying the Vader PSP to play the new games would be a good idea.

    I really should go and get cave story...

    Daybreak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • flammiebcflammiebc Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    LockeCole wrote: »
    Daybreak wrote: »
    dragonsama wrote: »
    But the big question is has Sony fixed the now infamous [] button issue.

    I'm pretty sure they have. I'm on my second PSP (fucked up the screen on the first one while modding it) and it has a much better [] button and a much more responsive dpad. I can't remember exactly when I bought this one, maybe a year and a half ago?

    What is this issue? I've had my PSP awhile (not sure on the date I got it) but haven't had (or heard) about this problem.

    Basically if you look at the innards, old PSPs had the appearance of a full [] button on the outer faceplate, but in actuality the contact and rubber parts were shifted over closer to the center; so only the right side of the button had good response, and the left side could actually sink far enough in to get caught in the plate...easily modded, but still annoying.

    flammiebc on
    Switch: SW-7753-7176-1119
    PSN: LucidStar_BC
  • core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    flammiebc wrote: »
    LockeCole wrote: »
    Daybreak wrote: »
    dragonsama wrote: »
    But the big question is has Sony fixed the now infamous [] button issue.

    I'm pretty sure they have. I'm on my second PSP (fucked up the screen on the first one while modding it) and it has a much better [] button and a much more responsive dpad. I can't remember exactly when I bought this one, maybe a year and a half ago?

    What is this issue? I've had my PSP awhile (not sure on the date I got it) but haven't had (or heard) about this problem.

    Basically if you look at the innards, old PSPs had the appearance of a full [] button on the outer faceplate, but in actuality the contact and rubber parts were shifted over closer to the center; so only the right side of the button had good response, and the left side could actually sink far enough in to get caught in the plate...easily modded, but still annoying.

    I've never had this problem.

    core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm enjoying playing Cave Story on my PSP too much to replace it. If the custom firmware stops being able to be upgraded, i might consider getting another PSP to play the new games.

    I don't own a PSP but I have a friend who does and I think she may enjoy Cave Story. How do I go about putting it on her PSP?

    Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • cwapfobrainscwapfobrains Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Darmak wrote: »
    I'm enjoying playing Cave Story on my PSP too much to replace it. If the custom firmware stops being able to be upgraded, i might consider getting another PSP to play the new games.

    I don't own a PSP but I have a friend who does and I think she may enjoy Cave Story. How do I go about putting it on her PSP?
    Basically you have to have a homebrew capable psp. Which means an old firmware like 1.0-1.5 or a custom firmware. This is relatively simple to do as long as it is still on a firmware 3.5 or less, with the new lumines downgrader.

    But once you are running a custom/old firmware, you just download it from here and put it in the PSP>GAME folder and it will show up under the Game>Memory Stick tab.

    cwapfobrains on
    camo_sig.png
    LoL Summoner: infobrains | XBL: cwap4brains | PSN: infobrains
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Darmak wrote: »
    I'm enjoying playing Cave Story on my PSP too much to replace it. If the custom firmware stops being able to be upgraded, i might consider getting another PSP to play the new games.

    I don't own a PSP but I have a friend who does and I think she may enjoy Cave Story. How do I go about putting it on her PSP?
    Basically you have to have a homebrew capable psp. Which means an old firmware like 1.0-1.5 or a custom firmware. This is relatively simple to do as long as it is still on a firmware 3.5 or less, with the new lumines downgrader.

    But once you are running a custom/old firmware, you just download it from here and put it in the PSP>GAME folder and it will show up under the Game>Memory Stick tab.

    How can I tell what firmware she's running? (I don't have her PSP at hand, I just want to know for future reference) Also, if she's using old firmware (1.0 or 1.5) then I wouldn't have to do anything but download the game? Sorry for asking so many questions but I don't know shit about PSP's due to not owning one.

    Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You can check in the settings menu.

    Not a fan of the new design. None of the things I wanted to see were included.

    The video-out feature is kind of cool though. If you're the kind of guy who has to travel a lot and doesn't want to lug around a PS2 with him, the PSPV2 would be a perfect.

    AJR on
    Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
Sign In or Register to comment.