As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PSP Version 1.5 - Are You Upgrading?

13»

• cwapfobrainscwapfobrains Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Darmak wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »
    I'm enjoying playing Cave Story on my PSP too much to replace it. If the custom firmware stops being able to be upgraded, i might consider getting another PSP to play the new games.

I don't own a PSP but I have a friend who does and I think she may enjoy Cave Story. How do I go about putting it on her PSP?
    Basically you have to have a homebrew capable psp. Which means an old firmware like 1.0-1.5 or a custom firmware. This is relatively simple to do as long as it is still on a firmware 3.5 or less, with the new lumines downgrader.

But once you are running a custom/old firmware, you just download it from here and put it in the PSP>GAME folder and it will show up under the Game>Memory Stick tab.

How can I tell what firmware she's running? (I don't have her PSP at hand, I just want to know for future reference) Also, if she's using old firmware (1.0 or 1.5) then I wouldn't have to do anything but download the game? Sorry for asking so many questions but I don't know shit about PSP's due to not owning one.
    Settings > System Settings > System Information will tell you the firmware

I believe that 1.0 and 1.5 firmwares will run any homebrew straight out of the game folder. But unless her psp has been shelved since launch, she only plays launch games on it, or she already does homebrew, i would doubt it is still at one of those.

Also, any kind of downgrading/installing custom firmwares comes with a risk of bricking the PSP.

cwapfobrains on
    camo_sig.png
    LoL Summoner: infobrains | XBL: cwap4brains | PSN: infobrains
  • grim123grim123 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    For over a year I have owned the following:

(all official 1st party)
    4GB Memstick Pro Duo
    Headset
    Accessory Pouch
    Pouch with Wriststrap
    Headphones with Remote
    Stamina Battery
    Battery Charger
    AC adapter

and these games:

WipEout Pure
    Lumines / II
    Metal Gear Acid! /2
    Burnout Legends
    GTA: Liberty City Stories
    Me & My Katamari
    Mega Man Maverick Hunter X
    Mega Man Powered Up
    Tekken: Dark Resurrection
    MGS: Digital Graphic Novel
    Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
    Ultimate Ghosts and Goblins
    Loco Roco
    GTA: Vice City Stories
    Every Extend Extra
    MGS: Portable Ops

I have never owned a PSP nor played one for more than ~5-10 minutes.

I have been waiting for the redesign for some time.

Finally I say. As well as "woot!"

wow thats greatO_o
    on a side note It looks like the new psp has a slimer battery so that Stamina Battery wont work.
    I may get a new since I'm on a cutom frimware and may not be able to upgrade.
    It all depends on what firmware version the new castlevaina will require.

grim123 on
    Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I just got a PSP a few months ago... Meh, Oh well. I don't play it enough to justify an upgrade to a newer model.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SynapseSynapse Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If they've fixed the terrible smearing colors with a better screen, then I'll pick one up. Otherwise, this isn't very enticing at all.

Synapse on
    brawl code: 1719-2854-9722
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Colour smearing? I've never had that problem.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This was a pretty simple redesign actually. Essentially, they doubled the RAM, and put in a smaller battery.

I have worries that the smaller battery will actually make the battery life worse when doing anything but playing games.

deadonthestreet on
  • core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Why would they try to make the battery worse? That was one of the major complaints of the first PSP.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Well, the theory is with more RAM it'll access the the UMD less often, thus saving power.

Problem lies when you are doing anything but playing UMD games, you aren't getting the benefit.

Maybe it is just way more efficient in other ways, but I'm doubtful.

deadonthestreet on
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    You never noticed ghosting on the screen? Like a motion blur trail when something moves? It's the only bad thing about the display on the PSP.

mntorankusu on
  • VicissitudeVicissitude Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You never noticed ghosting on the screen? Like a motion blur trail when something moves? It's the only bad thing about the display on the PSP.

Makes playing Tony Hawk or Burnout damn near impossible, for me at least.

Vicissitude on
  • core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

What? I've played tons of Burnout Legends, and never noticed it.

I love that game so much it's not funny.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • VicissitudeVicissitude Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

What? I've played tons of Burnout Legends, and never noticed it.

I love that game so much it's not funny.

The motion blur made it really hard to see oncoming traffic, at least in the launch PSPs. Not sure if they fixed it with later models, but mine it was horrible.

Vicissitude on
  • AhhseeAhhsee Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If this means a price reduction on current PSP's, then yes, I will finally be picking one up. The lineup of new games may have been enough to push me over the edge, but ANOTHER price reduction is really all I needed. I picked up a ds phat when the lite's came out and I couldn't be happier for how much I spent.

Wishing I didn't vote ds-only on that disgaea poll now....

Ahhsee on
    newsigji1.jpg
    Click image for my huge backlog :\\\
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    The blur has been most noticeable for me with LocoRoco, with lots of bright contrasting colors moving around.

This redesign is nice, but I won't even consider replacing my current system until it hits $130 or less.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    grim123 wrote: »
    wow thats greatO_o

well it wasnt so much to brag as to show how much confidence I had there would be a relatively quickly released redesign in the works

that i was willing to sit on this stuff patiently and get the model that should have been from day 1

Deusfaux on
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I can't justify getting a PSP yet. I still have a few DS games that I haven't even tried playing yet, and there are still a ton of games that are out and coming out that I need. Not to mention the sweet Wii games coming out in the fall. For the price I'd rather get MP3 and SMG or a bunch of DS games.

I still want to get a 360 at some point too, but I'm not doing that until I can buy one that won't inevitably crap out on me.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Shorter loading times, looks like I'll get one of these now then. There seem to be sufficient fun games and everything.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

That and its not protected, and doesn't do well in sunlight.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • cocheseisdeadcocheseisdead Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Absolutely. I let go of all of the home consoles because I simply do not have the ability to set aside free time at home to sit down and play games. Portable gaming is where it is at for me and the smaller form factor along with video out if I absolutely want it are the selling points.

That said, I'm still waiting for a killer app on the PSP. I hope God of War pulls through but I'm not really into mashers.

cocheseisdead on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Absolutely. I let go of all of the home consoles because I simply do not have the ability to set aside free time at home to sit down and play games. Portable gaming is where it is at for me and the smaller form factor along with video out if I absolutely want it are the selling points.

That said, I'm still waiting for a killer app on the PSP. I hope God of War pulls through but I'm not really into mashers.

Mashers? Have you even tried God of War? It's pretty much impossible to get through the later portions of the game by simply mashing buttons.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • cocheseisdeadcocheseisdead Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ok, I'll concede that the end part of the game is not a masher. I was, of course, exaggerating a little bit there but it's not worth derailing the topic for it.

cocheseisdead on
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6456&Itemid=2
    The new PSP, revealed at E3, will retail for 19,000 yen ($162/€118) upon release in Japan. It will be available in six different colours: piano black, ceramic white, ice silver, rose pink, lavender purple and felicia blue.

Sony claims that the PSP-2000 is 33 percent lighter and 19 percent slimmer than the current model. It also features a faster UMD drive, longer battery life, and video output capabilities allowing PSP videos to be played through a television set.

A PSP compatible TV tuner will also be released on the same day, priced at 6,980 yen ($57/€41).

Sony has said that the handheld will ship to both North America and Europe in September, although no specific release dates have yet been announced for either region.

"PSP-2000" is a pretty terrible name.

bruin on
  • ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    2000 is so 7 years ago.

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6456&Itemid=2
    The new PSP, revealed at E3, will retail for 19,000 yen ($162/€118) upon release in Japan. It will be available in six different colours: piano black, ceramic white, ice silver, rose pink, lavender purple and felicia blue.

Sony claims that the PSP-2000 is 33 percent lighter and 19 percent slimmer than the current model. It also features a faster UMD drive, longer battery life, and video output capabilities allowing PSP videos to be played through a television set.

A PSP compatible TV tuner will also be released on the same day, priced at 6,980 yen ($57/€41).

Sony has said that the handheld will ship to both North America and Europe in September, although no specific release dates have yet been announced for either region.

"PSP-2000" is a pretty terrible name.

I think that just refers to the model number.

Also, what the hell is a Felicia? I know a Felicia, and she's more of a cream color.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If the price (used) of original PSP plummets when this comes out, I may consider getting one of those. I'm just too plain skint atm to buy one of these, especially since my DS more than enough handheld for one man.

LewieP on