As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Yes, ANOTHER HDTV thread

2»

• GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My best advice when choosing a new TV is to buy from somewhere with a good return policy. Fry's was pretty easy to deal with. I basically bought a tv to bring home, then tweaked with it and watched it in my own room with all my sources. I went through 3 before settling on a Sharp Aquos.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • goatgoatgoatgoat Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    just something id like to let people know, you dont HAVE to have an HDTV to get HD resolutions. i bought a VGA out for my 360 and i can do the highest HD resolution on my 21 inch viewsonic.

but dont get the offbrand, get the official ones or youll have ghosting! (wasted 20$ to find that out ._. )

goatgoat on
  • Tw4winTw4win Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My parents just ordered THIS for me as a birthday present. It probably wouldn't be my first choice but I didn't have any say in the matter. My mom just called me up over the weekend and said "Just so you know we ordered you an HDTV, it should be at your apartment in 7-10 business days." I wasn't expecting it and it's a gift so even if it's a crappy TV I'll be happy about it. However, I would like some general reviews. Anyone own a Sceptre TV?

Regarding the VGA input on this thing, I was thinking about using it for my 360 but I'm left wondering about audio inputs when using VGA with a TV. Do the VGA inputs generally have their own audio inputs as well or will it just show the picture?

***Edit***

I assume that one Component input will be used for Cable, one for Wii, the HDMI will be used for PS3, so unless I buy a some sort of system selector I'm going to need to use the VGA for my Xbox 360. Obviously, the PS3 will act as a DVD player.

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    goatgoat wrote: »
    just something id like to let people know, you dont HAVE to have an HDTV to get HD resolutions. i bought a VGA out for my 360 and i can do the highest HD resolution on my 21 inch viewsonic.

but dont get the offbrand, get the official ones or youll have ghosting! (wasted 20$ to find that out ._. )

The 360 may be outputting that resolution but your tv likely won't be displaying it.

Oh and to the person before about the composite cables, and the family not using HD, I'd hazard a guess that an AWFUL lot of people who have HD tvs do that. I know a friend got a new hdtv and was running his 360 at 480i.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    goatgoat wrote: »

I must be lucky...I don't have any ghosting and I've got the third-party VGA cable.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Tw4winTw4win Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Quick question...

My new HDTV (see post above) supports a resolution of up to 1080i. Am I correct in assuming that 1080i will look better than 720p for games and movies, even though it's not progressive scan?

Also, can the 360 display up to 1080i using it's component cables?

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Tw4win wrote: »
    Yes, barring that the game supports it. It should be fine if you set it in the 360's options.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    http://www.memcorpinc.com/html/product_detail.php?PID=604

Memorex 19" 16:9 1440x900 700:1 LCD HDTV

Cheap TV for those looking to nab one before they head off to school, or the like.

I grabbed this sucker from Target for 269.99 (with a RedCard account I made that day). I'm extremely happy with it, especially for the Price, and my 360 looks great on it. Also nabbed the the 3-year service plan for an extra $30, so, overall, I think it was a great deal. Oblivion, Dead Rising, and Overlord look real sweet on it.

However, I did have an issue with the Component display-- 480p worked fine, but 720p and 1080i severely underscanned, while 1080p had these strange color glitches that got to me. I went out and bought the VGA adapter and have no problems since.

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061
    Shade wrote: »
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • Future BluesFuture Blues Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    FreddyD wrote: »
    Invisible wrote: »
    Graviija wrote: »
    So to bring my thread back from the brink...

Circuit City have a 32" Olevia and Vizio for $550 and $600, respectively. Any thoughts on these? Is one of the other better in any way?

This is purely anecdotal, but Olevia, as a brand blows. I've heard nothing but horror stories from people who bought them; either they don't work out of the box or break down less than three months. From what I'm told customer service is also not their strong suit.

The squeaky wheel is the loudest, but it's certainly made me wary of them.
    That's weird, because I've been running mine 12 hours a day for over a year and haven't had any issues (knock on wood). The reviews on Newegg are mostly positive, with only a few people getting a bad model.

But make sure you can return a defective tv straight to the store before you buy it. You never know.

Yeah, I'll put in a good word for my Olevia too. I got a refurb on Newegg and I haven't had a single bit of trouble with it in a years time. The picture quality is excellent, also.

Future Blues on
    Xbox Live: No Reply
    Steam: Jacobontap
    LoL: FutureBlues
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Yes, barring that the game supports it. It should be fine if you set it in the 360's options.

It doesn't matter if the game supports it - the 360 will just upscale if it doesn't.

FyreWulff on
  • Future BluesFuture Blues Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My parents just ordered THIS for me as a birthday present. It probably wouldn't be my first choice but I didn't have any say in the matter. My mom just called me up over the weekend and said "Just so you know we ordered you an HDTV, it should be at your apartment in 7-10 business days." I wasn't expecting it and it's a gift so even if it's a crappy TV I'll be happy about it. However, I would like some general reviews. Anyone own a Sceptre TV?

Regarding the VGA input on this thing, I was thinking about using it for my 360 but I'm left wondering about audio inputs when using VGA with a TV. Do the VGA inputs generally have their own audio inputs as well or will it just show the picture?

***Edit***

I assume that one Component input will be used for Cable, one for Wii, the HDMI will be used for PS3, so unless I buy a some sort of system selector I'm going to need to use the VGA for my Xbox 360. Obviously, the PS3 will act as a DVD player.

VGA doesn't have audio inputs. On the 360 VGA cable it has it's own stereo (red/white) composite inputs alongside the VGA cable.

Future Blues on
    Xbox Live: No Reply
    Steam: Jacobontap
    LoL: FutureBlues
    edited July 2007
    By the way, what -IS- a good 360 VGA out to buy? I think I might just play my eventual 360 on my computer monitor to get the HDTV aspect of it.

FyreWulff on
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Um..The Microsoft one? You can find them everywhere.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • legionlegion North YorkRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Um..The Microsoft one? You can find them everywhere.
    Indeed. The third party cables are mostly trash (Intec, Dragon, etc) and result in ugly ghosting. The monster cable's the only third party VGA cable I've found that stands up to the MS one, and even it has issues--the optical audio jack on it requires an adapter that's sold with monster's toslink cable, meaning you need to buy yet another overpriced cable from them.

It's best to just stick with the official MS one.

legion on
    edited July 2007
    I've never seen that around anywhere...

edit: well no wonder, it's 44$.

FyreWulff on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    How's Samsung?

Would probably get a 1080p, 40"ish LCD.

MichaelLC on
  • existexist Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I've never seen that around anywhere...

edit: well no wonder, it's 44$.

I saw a few MS VGA cables at Sears in a clearance bin for like, 30 dollars. Good deal.

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    How's Samsung?

Would probably get a 1080p, 40"ish LCD.

Samsung's excellent.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.