As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EVE] Guide to basic Skills, Ship fitting, and general newbiness.

• Mickey EyeMickey Eye Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I generally advise against using Destroyers early on in the game, just because you can train them doesn't mean you should. I would advise you to train for cruisers before destroyers simply because while the Thrasher can output a huge alpha strike it has an abysmal tank, in mission running even at level 1 a tank is what counts. If you trained for cruisers and flew a Rupture you would have a higher damage output and a larger margin for error in the damage you receive.

I'd also advise against auto cannons in missions. Artillery may be hard to fit but its alpha strike will make quick work of level 1 frigates.

Once your gunnery skills improved you could later return to the Thrasher, slap 7 T2 artillery pieces on it and laugh the giddy laugh as little ships are popped all around you.

If you can't afford a cruiser I'd actually recommend a Breacher. It's speed under afterburner is far greater than any mission frigate and it outranges all level 1 enemy ships with its missiles.

Mickey Eye on
    artillery2.gifmwd.gifcloak.gifrepairer.gif
    Sig images by FooB
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Thrasher - Autocannon close assault

Overdrive Injector System I
    Damage Control I

Medium Shield Extender I
    Small Shield Booster I
    Cold-Gas I Arcjet Thrusters

200mm AutoCannon I x7
    Rocket Launcher I
    Thrasher - Long range sniper

Power Diagnostic System I
    Damage Control I

Invulnerability Field I
    Small Shield Booster I
    Cap Recharger I

250mm Light Artillery Cannon I x7
    Standard Missile Launcher I

Can try to upgrade different modules to better named or T2 variants depending on skills and fitting. The Medium Shield Extender on the Autocannon fit is pretty much mandatory, it gives a huge buffer and much better passive recharge.

The long range artillery setup may need some changing up to fit an afterburner or webber to help maintain range.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • The One Dark KnightThe One Dark Knight Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    HEY GUYS

So now the mac client is out for this game I am seriously considering playing it. I'm having trouble picking a race though, so maybe you can help me out (also, does race really matter that much?).

What's a good race for good old fashioned broadsides, tough ship, and blistering salvos of brutal, up close action?That's the kind of ship I'd like to pilot, tough and bristling with guns. The big, ugly motherfucker that will blow your pansy little hovercraft to splinters if you get too close.

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • runaway_pancakerunaway_pancake Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    broadsides, tough ship, and blistering salvos of brutal, up close action
    Gallente 8-)

But no, race doesn't doesn't matter much past the first couple weeks. You can cross-train any race's ships without any sort of penalties.

runaway_pancake on
  • CenshinCenshin Registered User new member
    edited November 2007
    I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I have to say it's pretty sweet. Are any PA corps recruiting currently?

Censhin on
    edited November 2007
    I dunno, maybe there's a thread in G&T that talks about that.

runaway_pancake on
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    There is one PA corp, and it is always recruiting. Look up a Merch Industrial office in game and send an application with your forum username.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So im in 0.0, but im having a hard time working out what to do. I dont have the skills to salvage and my current ships suck to much to rat and mine. Whilst im working on the skills I need to get salvaging/ratting, I dont really know what I can do in the mean time to make cash. Any ideas?

Norgoth on
  • SeburoSeburo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    As most people would tell you, skill for salvaging ASAP. It's rather difficult making money independently in 0.0 was a newbie until you can salvage. You best bet for now is to find a ratter (hopefully you're already in MRCHI) and tag along with him, either as a scout or for adding a little extra DPS.

Seburo on
    edited November 2007
    Seburo wrote: »
    skill for salvaging ASAP
    This. In the meantime you can still scavenge loot from wrecks or ghetto-mine in a frigate. Neither is very lucrative, but it's a short train to get to salvaging. If you badly need money you can also just ask for some charity in corp-chat.

runaway_pancake on
  • grumthorngrumthorn Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If you badly need money you can also just ask for some charity in corp-chat.

This. The discrepency between the moneymaking ability of a new player and a veteran is huge. Me handing you 10 million is pocket change for me and will keep you in frigates for ages. Please don't sit in a station worrying about how to be self sufficient, you won't enjoy it and merch will lose another potentially valuable member to boredom. Get out there and have some fun in pvp while the skills train for whatever path you chose to take. We have a corporate frigate program that will provide ships and the richer players will cover the rest for you.

grumthorn on
  • CenshinCenshin Registered User new member
    edited November 2007
    There is one PA corp, and it is always recruiting. Look up a Merch Industrial office in game and send an application with your forum username.

Thanks. I applied in game.

Censhin on
  • AzouAzou Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    sooo decided to upgrade to a full account, what have I done T_T i swore to myself that i wouldnt touch another MMO, but spaceships are so hard to resist :D

Running around on a Moa atm, doing some missions and salvaging while waiting for skills to train. Thinking about heading out to 0.0 but not sure how to go about it....is the money difference that much salvaging in 0.0 compared to empire? And can i actually survive (for a short while even) in my new shiny hopefully not exploding Moa?

Edit: Oh yeah, any aussies/nz in Merch?

Azou on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Join Merch now. Also get used to losing ships.

electricitylikesme on
  • AzouAzou Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Kk, just placed an app, and from the sounds of it isk isnt too hard to generate so the sting of losing ships shouldnt be too hard hehe

Azou on
    edited December 2007
    Wow, this slipped to the second page.

So I'm thinking of moving back to Amarr space and running some missions.
    I currently have an Armageddon with 7 Modulated Mega Pulse and 3 CCC rigs, which I should be able to get

I'm mostly confused at how to setup the mids and lows. I've been thinking mids is 3x Cap Recharge 2
    Lows has the LAR2, and thats where I get lost.

Should I fit a DC2 on it incase something hits hull? Should I fit 3 T2 hardeners or 4?
    From there I fit as many Heatsinks as I can sustain, and then fit Cap Relays into remaining. (unless you suggest some Tracking enhancers?)

EDIT: Also, I hear 400 DPS is the minimum to have for running L4, is that accurate? also what would the minimum tanked be? I got pretty chewed up by GE last time I ran it.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • BecomingBecoming Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Wow, this slipped to the second page.

So I'm thinking of moving back to Amarr space and running some missions.
    I currently have an Armageddon with 7 Modulated Mega Pulse and 3 CCC rigs, which I should be able to get

I'm mostly confused at how to setup the mids and lows. I've been thinking mids is 3x Cap Recharge 2
    Lows has the LAR2, and thats where I get lost.

Should I fit a DC2 on it incase something hits hull? Should I fit 3 T2 hardeners or 4?
    From there I fit as many Heatsinks as I can sustain, and then fit Cap Relays into remaining. (unless you suggest some Tracking enhancers?)

EDIT: Also, I hear 400 DPS is the minimum to have for running L4, is that accurate? also what would the minimum tanked be? I got pretty chewed up by GE last time I ran it.

First of all, I wouldn't worry so much about your DPS number. Get your tank solid and cap stable first of all.

Ratting setups are very simple once you get a feel for the basic setup, as they're all generally the same. Your lows should contain 4 rat specific hardener IIs and a DCII/EANMII depending on how high your armor resistance skills are trained (the higher they are, the better the EANM2 becomes). The other slots are filled with the best LAR, or two, that you can buy (faction is highly recommended, and they're fairly reasonably priced); since LARs have such a huge powergrid requirement, using a LAR and a MAR might be best depending on your skill set. A CPRII is necessary for cap stability, which fills the last slot assuming that you're using 2 armor reps. If you're just using 1 rep, then you have room for a damage mod.

The following setup has a fairly weak tank (477dps tanked vs 50/50 kin/therm), but very respectable DPS with ogre Is and low gunnery skills. And it's cap stable.
    Armor Kinetic Hardener II
    Armor Kinetic Hardener II
    Armor Thermic Hardener II
    Armor Thermic Hardener II
    Capacitor Power Relay II
    Large Armor Repairer II
    Damage Control II
    Heat Sink II

Cap Recharger II
    Cap Recharger II
    Cap Recharger II

Mega Modulated Pulse Energy Beam I
    Drone Link Augmentor I

Capacitor Control Circuit I

Becoming on
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    For those that aren't familiar with what it's like to fly with russians:

http://dl.eve-files.com/media/corp/Zumzat2/thulsadoomisdown_ts.mp3

gf-swoon.gif<3 evil thug <3gf-swoon.gif

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • ScreamlineScreamline Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    leaf wrote: »

haha my god

Screamline on
  • JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

I don't know what's better, the wild screaming in Russian or in Rushlish.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Janin wrote: »

I don't know what's better, the wild screaming in Russian or in Rushlish.

Damn that's awesome.

electricitylikesme on
  • XaboraXabora Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Thats it... I CAN TAKE IT NO LONGER.

Once FFXI is removed (played it for a day before I said screw it) EvE Online Premium is going to be installed.

Xabora on
  • KnottheadKnotthead Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hi all,

Well I scrapped my initial character and started a new one. Applying to Merc now.

New character name: Chen Kimiko

Knotthead on
    Epeens are epic compaired to mine.
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Can someone explain to me about Jump Clones? How are they different than regular clones? I didn't see any tutorial stuff about them, and 100k is a little too much for me to just be throwing around right now.

Also, I think I'm about ready to head down to MerchI space - I saw people talking about clone jumping there - does that use the jump clones? Or just regular ones (move my regular clone there, kill self)?

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
    edited December 2007
    Jump Clones allow you to keep your implants by leaving them in a station (you must have 8+ standing at station) along with your old body. You jump to your new clone body, which may or may not already have implants in it. You also need to manually go to the station to set up a clone body there, or else jump out of your current station, leaving your body there for future clone jumps.

Pod jumping, where you suicide your POD and wake up in your cloning station in a new body, does not retain any of your implants.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If you are a poor newbie and are in merchi, don't be afraid to ask for cash for important things. 100k is nothing to established members.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • intelnaviintelnavi Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Having a bit of trouble here. I'm only 2 days in and I have a kestrel and a merlin at my disposal, but even in the Merlin I am having problems with lvl one quests. I don't think my strategy or my armament is correct. I'm using light missles as my primary weapons but don't seem to be doing enough dmg to survive 6 ships coming at me. The early missions were a cakewalk but this i can't even get a kill in safely. What should I be outfitting and how should i go about killing harder enemies? Do i stay at range and how do i do that? Do i need a better ship?

I'm currently following the caldari leveling guide but probably don't have a lot past the basic skills (ie i'm almost to learning).

intelnavi on
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Have you looked at the optimal range of your missile launchers? Also, have you looked at the pirates that you are killing and their weaknesses as well as your ammo and it's strengths?

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • intelnaviintelnavi Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Aphostile wrote: »
    Have you looked at the optimal range of your missile launchers? Also, have you looked at the pirates that you are killing and their weaknesses as well as your ammo and it's strengths?

I think thats my problem. I didn't pick a lot of this up, but from reading what I did today, it seems like i should be staying out a lot further than I was, also looked at some builds to help with tanking and range. I don't have a lot of shield skills and stuff yet so i can't add a lot of it on however. I'll have to look at my railguns and see what type of bullets i should be using.

intelnavi on
    edited December 2007
    What mission is it? There are some missions, such as Worlds Collide where you probably won't survive direct combat but you can just fit an Afterburner, run for the gates and avoid most combat until the last section.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Is the Tracking Guide linked anywhere in the new tutorials? It is really important information, me thinks.

Missile Guide too.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
    edited December 2007
    There's a guide to using missiles? Bwuh-uh-uh-uh-uh?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    intelnavi wrote: »
    Having a bit of trouble here. I'm only 2 days in and I have a kestrel and a merlin at my disposal, but even in the Merlin I am having problems with lvl one quests. I don't think my strategy or my armament is correct. I'm using light missles as my primary weapons but don't seem to be doing enough dmg to survive 6 ships coming at me. The early missions were a cakewalk but this i can't even get a kill in safely. What should I be outfitting and how should i go about killing harder enemies? Do i stay at range and how do i do that? Do i need a better ship?

I'm currently following the caldari leveling guide but probably don't have a lot past the basic skills (ie i'm almost to learning).

Ignore learning for the first couple weeks. Its great because it makes things fast later on, but in general you wont save any time running up learning skills to anything but 2 on any single skill below level 3 or 4.

So get your "I can have fun skills" first and then worry about decresing training time. I finished my learning skills about 6 months into my play time, and i dont regret it abit.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Ignore learning for the first couple weeks. Its great because it makes things fast later on, but in general you wont save any time running up learning skills to anything but 2 on any single skill below level 3 or 4.

So get your "I can have fun skills" first and then worry about decresing training time. I finished my learning skills about 6 months into my play time, and i dont regret it abit.

I have to disagree with this. Even very early in the game, getting learning skills up is vital. Is getting propulsion jamming a day early worth waiting a week or two longer for cruisers? It is not.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Getting propuslion jamming a day early is worth getting cruisers 3 hours late yes.

You dont make up the time trained in level 4 advanced learning for 1 year, you dont make up the time trained in learning 4 for three months.

Get the fun stuff dealt with first.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Wow, this game is amazing. A bit overwhelming, but amazing. I have been meaning to give a try for the past 6 months or so but I never got around to it. Ive been playing it for couple of days now and I am enjoying it quite a bit. Been working my skills up so I could use Propulsion Jamming.

Ive made probably close to 2 mil ISK today just doing missions in high sec space (and selling the loot). I got myself a pretty destroyer (a Coercer) and Ive been working towards a propulsion jamming frigate.

I went ahead and applied to Merch based on the recommendations in this thread.

I cant wait to dip my toes in 0.0 space - seems like it will be fun (and tense!).

I bet that guy that lost the Titan was pissed.

Soggybiscuit on
    Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
    edited December 2007

Not really, he didn't want that Titan anyway.

(Get used to communications consisting almost entirely of cliched in-jokes).

Szechuanosaurus on
  • ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Looks like Veto and Merchi had a little scrap yesterday

oops wrong damn forum

Zenitram on
  • grumthorngrumthorn Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Getting propuslion jamming a day early is worth getting cruisers 3 hours late yes.

You dont make up the time trained in level 4 advanced learning for 1 year, you dont make up the time trained in learning 4 for three months.

Get the fun stuff dealt with first.

Exactly, spend a few days of your trial getting into a combat worthy frigate and go push shit in with the fleet. If you decide you want to stick with the game long term, keep flying that frigate and train up all the boring learning stuff before starting to train for whatever long term goal you have. 14 days is too short to waste it on advanced learning skills.

grumthorn on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Wow, this game is amazing. A bit overwhelming, but amazing. I have been meaning to give a try for the past 6 months or so but I never got around to it. Ive been playing it for couple of days now and I am enjoying it quite a bit. Been working my skills up so I could use Propulsion Jamming.

Ive made probably close to 2 mil ISK today just doing missions in high sec space (and selling the loot). I got myself a pretty destroyer (a Coercer) and Ive been working towards a propulsion jamming frigate.

I went ahead and applied to Merch based on the recommendations in this thread.

I cant wait to dip my toes in 0.0 space - seems like it will be fun (and tense!).

Join Merch and come to 0.0 you'll make 2m in a couple of rat bounties or salvages.

smokmnky on