As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Persona 3: "Are you aware that the moon grows full...?"

cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm RegentBears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
edited September 2007 in Games and Technology
P3's in stores now. You're still reading this?

You can work on your academics stat later.

P3USb.jpg / 281719b.jpg

Background
The first cover is what Gamestop's website was originally showing, and then it was changed to the second.

In all likelihood, the original Japanese art(the first image) is dead and gone. The blue is the exterior cover, and the new image is the interior.
(Last update, swear: the original cover is used as the backing of the interior box. :^:)

Persona 3 includes a hardcover artbook(care of Shigenori Soejima's designs) and OST(Shoji Meguro)

DoubleJump is also doing the strategy guide. It's being published in their traditional 'minibook' design; it'll be worth getting just for collectibility sake as always.

The guide's in stores now if you like, and/or shipping from DJ's website, but you'll miss out on getting the discount on the book with the game if that's your thing.

Persona's always been a series about normal people having to deal with demonic infestation, except this time around, it'll require just as much time and effort to keep the character's social life going.

persona3-5a.jpg

The protagonist of P3 has recently transferred to Gekkoukan High School to start his junior year.

persona3-7a.jpg

Though before long, there's a little change in curriculum.

tartarus.jpg

Every night at midnight, time stops and Shadow Hour begins. Demons wander the streets, the masses are rendered immobile, and a massive tower called Tartarus appears in the school's place.

The S.E.E.S., or Specialized Extracurricular Execute Sector, are the only group capable of fighting off the demonic outbreak, consisting of students with the ability to summon Persona.

ME0000825097_2.jpg

Persona are guardian spirits with various magical and physical abilities, summoned through... well, unorthodox means.

persona3-1a.jpg

Using an Evoker brings out the user's Persona, and though it isn't suicidal, I imagine it stings.

ME0000825098_2.jpg

Like in previous games, Persona gain abilities based on their levels, and are summoned at the Velvet Room by collecting spell cards from defeated demons.

Care of Igor, as per usual.

06.jpg
(Due to budget cuts, the Velvet Room no longer offers artist/piano/singer services, though prerecorded classical music is available for your listening pleasure.)
Best as I can figure, Elizabeth's his mascot.

persona3-10a.jpg

The battle system uses the Press Turn system made (in?)famous in Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga: exploiting the enemies' weaknesses gives the player additional turns, and being hit by them does the same for the enemy.

ME0000825104_2.jpg

Also, when a monster is weakened, the party can perform a Rush attack, and decimate the remaining demons with (presumably) minimal effort.

Unfortunately, what seems poised to make P3 especially difficult is that the party, aside from the protagonist, is A.I.-controlled.

I hear the A.I. is good in battle, but I'm a little nervous about that. Earlier SMT games are hard enough with having a fully controllable group.

Of course, as if demons weren't bad enough, Persona 3 makes the player deal with the deadliest dungeon of all:

ME0000825096_2.jpg

High school.

P3 takes place over the course of an entire school year, and on top of dealing with the expected drama(after school clubs, activities, maybe even relationships), there's also the Social Link System.

The events of the day affect the events of the night, as well as the future abilities of Persona, especially those of the protagonist's party members / classmates.

Spend too much time in Tartarus, and grades suffer. Focus too much on education, and it'll be like Nocturne all over again(here meaning 'population-eliminating apocalypse').

The Social Link System or Fun With Tarot
persona3sample.gif

One of the most important aspects of Persona 3's gameplay is who you do and don't make friends with; different people you meet have different affiliations to a Tarot Arcana(Death, Lovers, World, etc.).

With a high enough Social Link, you can practically max out your Persona's levels before you even use it in battle(Social Links = Mad XP.)

The 'Fool' Arcana
Attached to the S.E.E.S.

The 'Magician'
Kenji.

The 'Chariot'
Sports Club / Kazushi.

The 'Hermit'
Innocent Sin Online / 'Maya'.

The 'Hierophant'
Bookstore Couple.

The 'Strength'
Yuko.

The 'Hanged Man'
The girl at the shrine.

The 'Emperor'
Student Council.

The 'Justice'
Chihiro.

The 'Death'
Pharos, the mysterious boy.

The 'Fortune'
Photo/Music/Art club.

The 'Tower'
The Priest at the nightclub.

The 'Devil'
Tanaka, Tanaka, over the airwaves to youuuuu

The 'Sun'
Chinari.

The 'Moon'
The 'Gourmet King'.

The 'Star'
The rival sports player.

The 'Lovers'
Yukari.

The 'Priestess'
Fuuka.

Classmates
(be nice to them, just to ensure that the only person putting a bullet through your head is you)

Protagonist / The Other Self
Minato.jpg
"I won't let you do this to her anymore!"

Persona: Orpheus

A high school junior who transferred to Gekkoukan High School in April. While under attack from the mysterious Shadows, he awakened as a Persona-user.

The closest thing to an official name he has is 'Minato Arisato', as he's known in an official manga.

Junpei Iori
Junpei.jpg
"S'up, dude."

Persona: Hermes

The cheerful class clown of the main character and Yukari's homeroom. He was the first one to make friends with the main character when he transferred. He decided to join SEES after his Persona awakened.

Yukari Takeba
yukari2.jpg
"Fate? Yeah, right."

Persona: Io

She is classmates and dormmates with the main character. She is positive and cheerful, and very popular as a result, but tends to drive herself beyond her limits. Her reasons for attending Gekkoukan High School are unknown.

Mitsuru Kirijo
Mitsuru.jpg
"Stay at our dorm tonight; it's the safest place."

Persona: Penthesilea

The daughter of the head of the Kirijo Group, controller of vast corporate holdings, and Student Council President at Gekkoukan High School. Upon discovering the main character's potential as a Persona-user, she invites him into the Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad.

Akihiko Sanada
Akihiko.png
"You won't have to shoulder the burden forever."

Persona: Polydeuces

Captain of the Gekkoukan High Boxing Club. His main interest in fighting the Shadows is to train himself physically. He seems to have a driving need to become stronger for some reasons...

Fuuka Yamagishi
Fuuka2.jpg
"I don't enjoy this one bit."

Persona: Lucia

Fuuka's painful self-awareness makes her shy and withdrawn. She's a potential Persona-user, but frequently calls in sick to school on account of her fragile constitution. As a result, she can not assist directly in battle, but...
At first, Fuuka seems to strictly operate as a tactician, from what I've seen.

Shinjiro Aragaki
Shinjiro.jpg
"Trust me, girls complicate life."

He is a senior at Gekkoukan High School. Everything else about him is a mystery, except for his acquaintance with Akihiko. Who is he really?

Ken Amada
Ken.jpg

Persona: Nemesis

He attends Gekkoukan Elementary School. Like the others, he joins the Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad because of his potential as a Persona-user, but unlike them, he is only in the 5th grade.

Koromaru
Koromaru.jpg
i]"This is a place of peace, so I protected it."[/i

Persona: Cerberus

After losing his master in an accident, Koromaru lived the life of a stray. Once he awakened as a Persona-user, he became a loyal SEES member and a welcome ally in Tartarus.
No, he doesn't shoot himself in the head, and I don't advise having him euthanized, either.

Aigis
aigis-1.jpg
"A machine is made for a purpose. Mine is to defeat you."

Persona: Palladion

Humanoid weapon created to destroy Shadows. She was given a psyche in order to enable Persona use. She seems to have another important task as well...

Other

Strega: Takaya/Jin/Chidori
Strega.jpg
"You might say I was... chosen." / "That makes you all hypocrites!" /
"No one can understand my pictures but me."

This shadowy group of three calls itself Strega. All three are shady, but Takaya, the leader, looks more ominous than the other two. What is their goal?

Elizabeth
elizabeth.jpg
"I look forward to your next visit."

Igor's newfound assistant in the Velvet Room. Not much known about her beyond that.

She matches the decor, at least.

Haruhi Suzumiya
HaruhiP3.jpg

Persona: !?
"If there are any aliens, time-travellers, or ESPers, join me now. That is all."

No one knows how Haruhi learned how to summon a Persona, and no one wants to. She was banned from the Velvet Room after attempting a hostile takeover. Rumor has it that Igor only escaped certain death by giving her the Velvet Room's ex-Pianist, nameless.
Just kidding. :P

If you're feeling daring, the official website has video clips associating to each of the characters in the proper section, though I haven't watched them.

Whether you like the music depends on your tastes for mellow jazzy/hip-hop influenced Jpop beats.

Oh, and almost forgot to mention...

The FES Conspiracy
p3fes_full_full.jpg / p3fes_basic_full.jpg
(I so want the second as a custom cover) /
fesa.jpg

Persona 3: FES, short for Festival, was an expansion released back in April to celebrate the unexpected success of P3 in Japan.

FES included a hard difficulty, more Persona, character costumes, and an additional 20-30 hours of gameplay centering around Aegis(or Aigis, if you prefer), reportedly containing the game's 'true ending'.

Atlus USA was already too deep in P3 proper's localization to push the game back to include the FES expansion content.

Some people are actually upset over this.

I'm definitely not one of them. P3 on its own is plenty to keep me satisfied for months.

But, I'd like to see FES make it here eventually. Atlus hasn't commented much, but I'm hoping that if P3 does well, we just might get a follow-up of our own.

It's unlikely, but it's worth working towards. Either way, it'll be a good school year.

You don't have to get it when it comes out... but considering that nearly every SMT game goes rapidly out of print, you might want to.

Also, Persona 3 is a standalone game. The only returning character from the originals is Igor, who's a series mainstay.

Philemon also was, but there hasn't been any sign of him... yet?

wVEsyIc.png
cj iwakura on

• Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'd really like to see FES but it's not making me upset enough to just say "Oh man screw this, we're not even getting the full thing." It'll make me a little miffed when I beat the game because I'll know FES had a little more playtime but that'll be about it.

Also I kept myself in the dark about characters and such as much as possible and I have to say, Junpei's persona looks really awesome.

Oh and nice joke picture :lol:

Gilder on
  • Options
    Mr.PinkMr.Pink Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ah yes. Another game from one of the coolest universes ever conceived. I will definitely be picking this up. It looks to be very good. I <3 ATLUS.

Mr.Pink on
    pasig9.jpg
    Pokemon Diamond: 0645 2317 9036
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    i love the art but for whatever reason it falls flat once it's in 3D. i'm also not super-keen on the school/social aspect that persona goes for. however, i loved nocturne, i loved DDS, so ill probably just bite the bullet and give this one a shot.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think the thing that impressed me the most was the menus. Everything's so... fluid. It's hard to explain, and pictures really don't do the effect justice. The words just flow.

Oh, and I love the school music. IGN's video of
    Main meeting Junpei
    has it playing in the background.

(The first one)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Retarded_TurkeyRetarded_Turkey Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I want...but I have sooo many games I've gotta play plus I just restarted my crack addiction:(

Retarded_Turkey on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    For the record, here are the character's Persona names. Or, at least, the ones I know.
    Junpei: Hermes
    Yukari: Io
    Mitsuru: Penthesilea
    Akihiko: Polydeuces
    Fuuka: Lucia
    Ken: Nemesis
    Aigis: Pallas

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I have to say that I like how the whole "social" aspect of the game sounds. I just wonder how deep it goes though.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Haruhi Suzimiya
    HaruhiP3.jpg

Persona: !?
    "If there are any aliens, time-travellers, or ESPers, join me now. That is all."

No one knows how Haruhi learned how to summon a Persona, and no one wants to. She was banned from the Velvet Room after attempting a hostile takeover. Rumor has it that Igor only escaped certain death by giving her the Velvet Room's ex-Pianist, nameless.
    Just kidding. :P
    :lol: Glad you saved it. Excellent OP.

Anyway, this will be a first day buy for me, because you all know this will become rare as hell given a few months.

SpeedySwaf on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

P3USb.jpg / cover.png

The first cover is what Gamestop's website was originally showing, and then it was changed to the second.

I think everyone's hoping we get the first, at least for the initial release.

I'm pretty sure that the first is the game cover and the second is the strategy guide cover.

Also, I'm one of those super pissed about not getting FES. Mainly because it sounds like a hell of a lot more fun to be had. Plus I'm a horrible extra costume whore and who CAN'T be angry over not getting to see the "real" ending? FOR CRI-YI PEOPLES

It's not gonna stop me from getting Persona 3 first day tho. I loves me some SMT.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Strong shades of FFVIII here...

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Great OP, funny joke picture, but you messed up her name: it's Haruhi Suzumiya, not Suzimiya.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Since Tales of the Abyss seems to be nixed for an E.U release, I'm pinning my hopes on P3 getting released here instead.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    sixteensixteen Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My preorder is already in, and I'm pretty excited. I haven't been actually interested in a game for a long time. Usually, I buy stuff just on the notion that they'll be good. I'm buying this because it is actually interesting, and I really want to see just how it goes down.

sixteen on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think I want this. I've never played a Persona game though. The only one in the whole series I own is Digital Devil Saga 1. Do I need to have played any of the games to know what is going on?

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I think I want this. I've never played a Persona game though. The only one in the whole series I own is Digital Devil Saga 1. Do I need to have played any of the games to know what is going on?

No. That should probably be added to the OP. It's a pretty common question I think.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Magic Pink wrote: »

No. That should probably be added to the OP. It's a pretty common question I think.

Excellent.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    OtsegoOtsego Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So excited for this game. I really like how the flow of the game is based around them still going to school but fighting demons at night time.

I also like how they went with a different artist instead of Kaneko. I love his designs but a change is always nice and the new art style seems to fit really well.

Otsego on
    mastersword.jpg
  • Options
    core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The dog seems like a stupid character.

Apart from that though, I loved Persona 2, and will definitly get this.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This game looks awesome and I can't wait for it. Already have my pre-order and everything.

Ardor on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    *Looks at Nocturne which sits unfinished, and both DDS chapters which sit unopened.*

*sigh*

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm looking forward to this quite a bit. I beat DDS2 this summer, finally, and now I found Nocturne at a used CD store. Hopefully I can get Nocturne either finished or to a good point by the time Persona 3 comes out. I dont' know whether to shelve Nocturne or plow through and then go to Persona 3 behind everyone else.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hmm. Maybe it's time to buy a PS2.

gilrain on
  • Options
    ze swift classze swift class Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Played it for a few hours, fun. Also great soundtrack.

ze swift class on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Rohan wrote: »

And FFVIII has strong shades of earlier Persona games. The Persona games came out first.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    RatmikeRatmike Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    A dog with headphones and a katana as a party member?

Sign me the hell up.

Ratmike on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    DAMN YOU OP!
    Now I have to buy this game too.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

And FFVIII has strong shades of earlier Persona games. The Persona games came out first.

I, uh, am not seeing the similarities between this and Final Fantasy VIII. I mean, there's the "you're a student" thing, but...you graduate from a military school and becomes soldiers in the first half hour of Final Fantasy VIII, where you're actual for real high school kids going through your junior year in this, so.

Now, Innocent Sin and Final Fantasy VIII...

EDIT: Also, am I really the only one that likes the new cover art?

I mean, I like the watercolor work, too, but I really like the new design.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Ratmike wrote: »
    A dog with headphones and a katana as a party member?

Sign me the hell up.

That also summons demonic other versions of himself by blowing his head off.

Let's not forget that.

Coolest dog ever? I think so.

Well, my Pug with the howiter on his back in that tank RPG is pretty boss too, but whatever.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Blackjack wrote: »

I, uh, am not seeing the similarities between this and Final Fantasy VIII. I mean, there's the "you're a student" thing, but...you graduate from a military school and becomes soldiers in the first half hour of Final Fantasy VIII, where you're actual for real high school kids going through your junior year in this, so.

I agree but then I didn't get very far in FF8. Did anyone? Really?

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Blackjack wrote: »

I agree but then I didn't get very far in FF8. Did anyone? Really?
    nope. hell id be surprised if anyone here has even heard of it. final whatasy?

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh goodness I am excited for this game.

I've never played a SMT game before, and I understand they can be kind of obtuse. Does anybody know what the learning curve for this game is like?

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My preorder is in. I've had Nocturne sitting on my shelf untouched for a while, I really should get on that. It looks like P3 is going to be put in my backlog before it's even in my possession.
    I'm pretty sure that the first is the game cover and the second is the strategy guide cover.
    I heard that both covers are the same. The EBgames website shows the 2nd one as well.

EDIT: hughtron: Learning curves on SMT games are pretty steep, and although I've not yet touched Nocturne, it's said to punish you severely (read: rape you) for showing any ignorance. But I think the general consensus is that P3 isn't as difficult as the others.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

P3USb.jpg / cover.png

I think everyone's hoping we get the first, at least for the initial release.

It was that way originally, but now word is the new cover is the game's cover, too. :| I'm hoping the first picture will be the deluxe box's cover and the second is the cover for the 'non deluxe'(inside the box) cover.

And I look at the 'true ending' this way: I'm sure P3 was made without the intention of it ever getting a sequel. The ending it has is bound to have some good resolution, at least... FES mostly focuses on Aigis and some psychotic T-Elos lookalike, anyway.

I fixed the OP up with the Personae I didn't know
    I'm guessing Shinjiro doesn't have a Persona... At least not yet?
    , and the Haruhi typo. Thanks.
    (Could've sworn it was Suzimiya...)

I'll add a bit about the earlier games also, though I was trying to keep them isolated since they're a whole different story(and finding either of them is a pain in the neck).
    hughtron wrote: »
    Oh goodness I am excited for this game.

I've never played a SMT game before, and I understand they can be kind of obtuse. Does anybody know what the learning curve for this game is like?

The others are difficult, but I haven't heard much on how difficult P3 is yet. It seemed easy from the start, but if it's anything like the other two, it must get nasty later on.

Also, I think the biggest question is just how Koromaru summons his Persona. Does he have Ken shoot him or something? O_o

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Maybe we'll get a reversible cover? Has Atlus ever done that?

EDIT: There's a video of Koromaru on the official site using a persona. He seems to just howl and it comes out.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yep. Digital Devil Saga 2 and Samurai Western. Probably some others...

If that FES cover of the group photo is used as a reversable, I'll be ecstatic.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DiscoalucardXDiscoalucardX Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Kuratosu wrote: »
    Maybe we'll get a reversible cover? Has Atlus ever done that?

They did it for DDS2 so it's possible.

Anyway, I'd just like to echo that this game is really, really, really good. I don't know why it took Atlus so long to localize - I was playing the Japanese version almost a year ago - but I've been really looking forward to playing it in English since then. I've never been much for randomly generated dungeon crawlers OR dating sims, but the interplay between them is so well balanced that it's hard not to become addicted.

It's also hard to tell in still screenshots, but this game oozes style. Lots of this is due to the music, but as someone mentioned before, the menus are really, really cool. It's something not a lot of RPGs seem to be concerned with and Persona 3 just drives in how important it is. There's also something about Megaten games that make me really love the level-up screens, and this one is no different.

DiscoalucardX on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    did atlus publish stella deus? that one had a reversible cover too.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, that too... also, the alternate cover was picked based on an online poll(and the best one actually won, IMO).

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    And my PS3 continues to be used as an oversized, shiny PS2.

Odin Sphere is going to be put aside, unfinished, for this.
    which is okay. I have found Odin Sphere is be increidbly over rated.....

chamberlain on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

It was that way originally, but now word is the new cover is the game's cover, too.

LALALA I'M NOT LISTENING

Magic Pink on
This discussion has been closed.