As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sony is almost assuredly phasing out 60GB PS3 in U.S. (OP update)

2456727

Posts

  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    djFindus wrote: »
    Also, no price drop for europe.. the very cheapest PS3 I can buy locally is at $858, normal price around $900. I'd kill for $599.. but since it's region free.. hmm.. anyone know any online stores that ship internationally and might be inclined to check the gift box when they send it?

    It'd probably better to just try and work something out with an American friend.

    Vincent Grayson on
  • Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Meh, all I see it as an increase in memory and that is a good thing.

    Beside, I would love to see how the new emulation is. I can't wait for my PS2 games to be played on the PS3.

    Katchem_ash on
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm not really sure what I can say to this. I mean, I'm not surprised - but, damn that's a terrible decision.

    MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • djFindusdjFindus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, probably. But I don't really want to risk that big a sum of money on a friend :P Funny thing is, a 360 is cheaper than a Wii here now.. might have to succumb to the 360 side.

    djFindus on
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    djFindus wrote: »
    Yeah, probably. But I don't really want to risk that big a sum of money on a friend :P Funny thing is, a 360 is cheaper than a Wii here now.. might have to succumb to the 360 side.
    360 is cheaper than a Wii? That's pretty odd.

    Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    and yet i read an interview on gamasutra from a Sony deity saying that the 360 is a broken mess with no 'tail', whereas the PS3 is expected to be around for 10 years.
    I don't doubt the second half of that, it'll take that long for them to bring the price down to an affordable level.

    darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I kind of knew this would happen. As some said, that BC chip is still in the current 60 gig models, and they're phasing that out for software BC. So, once the 60 gig is gone, I can bet they'll drop the price of the 80 gig to 500 bucks to stir sales again for the holidays, and then they'll stick to one model. I just read a news story from capcom saying that the PS3 would probably get another drop before the end of the year, and this is why. Of course they're not going to come out and say this, though, because then everyone will wait until the 80 gig is 500 bucks, and then they'll never be rid of the 60 gig. So, chances are those of you waiting until after the holidays to get one for 500 will very much still be able to. It'll just be a bigger HDD than you previously planned.

    Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Rook wrote: »
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    What game are they bundling with the 80? Genji, or some shit?

    Motorstorm, which is a pretty decent game by all accounts.

    In the other thread someone called it "average" and I called them out, and I'll call you out too. Sorry but "decent" is not what I'd call a game that has a 83% rating at Gamerankings (and that was before the online updates), at the very worst I'd call it above average.

    I am surprised they're packaging it with the PS3 though. I mean, it's a really good game but it's not exactly the most mainstream game. I guess they can't pack in Resistance, since it's a M rated game but still... Maybe they'll swap it for Ratchet & Clank once it comes out.

    Anyway, I'm actually glad that they've done this. It means that a real price-drop is more likely before the end of the year. Hopefully the $500 PS3's will sell well and Sony will realise that at the very least, they should have the PS3 at that price (though an ideal situation would have the PS3's price even lower).

    Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    might this not be a move to incite some panic to get people to go "omg must buy a £499 PS3 now before they sell out", thus clearing the stock?

    darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Rook wrote: »
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    What game are they bundling with the 80? Genji, or some shit?

    Motorstorm, which is a pretty decent game by all accounts.

    In the other thread someone called it "average" and I called them out, and I'll call you out too. Sorry but "decent" is not what I'd call a game that has a 83% rating at Gamerankings (and that was before the online updates), at the very worst I'd call it above average.

    I am surprised they're packaging it with the PS3 though. I mean, it's a really good game but it's not exactly the most mainstream game. I guess they can't pack in Resistance, since it's a M rated game but still... Maybe they'll swap it for Ratchet & Clank once it comes out.

    Anyway, I'm actually glad that they've done this. It means that a real price-drop is more likely before the end of the year. Hopefully the $500 PS3's will sell well and Sony will realise that at the very least, they should have the PS3 at that price (though an ideal situation would have the PS3's price even lower).

    I think he meant "pretty decent" as in "it's not a bad game"

    Undead Scottsman on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh, for fuck's sake. Are you really going to go around bitching at everyone that doesn't use your preferred adjective for some racing game?

    Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    and yet i read an interview on gamasutra from a Sony deity saying that the 360 is a broken mess with no 'tail', whereas the PS3 is expected to be around for 10 years.
    I don't doubt the second half of that, it'll take that long for them to bring the price down to an affordable level.

    I have heard Sony throwing around the 10 year lifespan thing quite a bit, and I really hope they stick to it. Hopefully Microsoft won't push them into releasing a new console too early. This is part of the reason I went with a PS3. Xbox had only a friggin 4 year lifespan. It was last in the race last gen and first in this gen. I don't trust that they won't do that shit again. My PS2, on the other hand, is still going strong at 7 years. It's still being supported with great titles, even from Sony themselves.

    Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • imbalancedimbalanced Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh, for fuck's sake. Are you really going to go around bitching at everyone that doesn't use your preferred adjective for some racing game?

    Don't you mean "suitable" adjective? Asshole. ;-)

    imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
    Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!:
  • Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Did anyone have any or know from first hand the difference between the software emulation of the PS3 versus the harddrive emulation?

    Katchem_ash on
  • Clutch414Clutch414 Dodge Swinger.... ...WHENEVER IT FEELS RIGHT!!!Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Meh, all I see it as an increase in memory and that is a good thing.

    Beside, I would love to see how the new emulation is. I can't wait for my PS2 games to be played on the PS3.

    Yeah, the 360 did the same thing with the elite. But you get an extra 100 gb on the 360 elite for only $80 instead of the screwjob Sony is giving their consumers....$100 for 20 gb and taking out the Emotion Engine.

    And the Elite is STILL $30-$130 (depending on which PS3 "option") less than the PS3.

    Clutch414 on
  • LachLach Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    There's a deal on walmart.com for a 60GB PS3, the bluray remote and 5 movies... I'm thinking I should jump on it since I don't want to miss out on the hardware emulation (I just sold my PS2)... does the hardware emulation also upscale the games, or is that software only?

    Lach on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Did anyone have any or know from first hand the difference between the software emulation of the PS3 versus the harddrive emulation?

    EE hardware works for all titles, software doesn't. This is all that is necessary to know.

    Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Wow, you know, even I was getting angry at the people ablooblooing at the price cut in the PS3 Price Cut Thread, saying that it wasn't really a price cut because of the new SKU.

    I can't believe they were right. Bravo Sony, you've managed to make me hate you again.

    Seriously ... I "lol sony" as much as the next guy, but I never saw this coming. I thought the price drop was a good move on their part.

    Add that to the handful of developers (namely Konami and Square) who said they would've wanted the price cut to be bigger ... and the statements that the reason PS3 games don't look better than 360 games is that 3rd parties aren't trying hard enough, and that even though a bundle with 2 games will be offered at the current price the 80GB PS3 will not be coming out in Europe and the 60GB PS3 will not receive a price cut ...

    It looked like they were doing so much better this year and yet again they're getting socked by the fact that they can't get their own people to just shut the fuck up.
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Did anyone have any or know from first hand the difference between the software emulation of the PS3 versus the harddrive emulation?

    EE hardware works for all titles, software doesn't. This is all that is necessary to know.

    Also it's important to note that apparently the difference between how many work on each is a large significant number. I haven't followed it in a while but last I heard a majority of games had at least some emulation glitches.

    mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • frylockedfrylocked Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    What does the PS3 use its hard drive for?
    I imagine it must store demos, music, and or video on its hard drive?
    Does it do it well as far as stuff to download?

    frylocked on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    and yet i read an interview on gamasutra from a Sony deity saying that the 360 is a broken mess with no 'tail', whereas the PS3 is expected to be around for 10 years.
    I don't doubt the second half of that, it'll take that long for them to bring the price down to an affordable level.

    I have heard Sony throwing around the 10 year lifespan thing quite a bit, and I really hope they stick to it. Hopefully Microsoft won't push them into releasing a new console too early. This is part of the reason I went with a PS3. Xbox had only a friggin 4 year lifespan. It was last in the race last gen and first in this gen. I don't trust that they won't do that shit again. My PS2, on the other hand, is still going strong at 7 years. It's still being supported with great titles, even from Sony themselves.

    true, but the original xbox was effectively dead weight. The way it was made meant they couldn't control the cost of its manufacture as easily, and it was nowhere near as popular as the PS2. Their plan for the 360 was to release a cheaper console than Sony, and get it out earlier than them, to gain a head-start. As such, it seems to be working (except in Japan). They learned a lot from their first entry, and are now able to better control the cost of their console. I guess it might not be for everyone, but it's even being seen as good of them to keep the price relatively stable for its first year, since the early adopters don't feel gypped by not holding out for a cheaper console. There's obviously two edges to that argument, but i'd take it as a sign of supporting the console and its owners better. I don't see why they'd be so quick to abandon the 360 this time around, especially as launching a new console against a PS3 (when its price would undoubtedly be lower) would most likely be to their detriment. Fans have already shown in droves that they prefer a cheaper console to a premium price, even if it's at the cost of a bit of performance. Launching a new console when the PS3 would have more momentum would be suicide.

    darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    But if as you say there's no difference between the 60GB and 80GB, is SCEA making the right decision in offering the 80GB?
    The difference is that the 60GB we have now has about 88 per cent backwards compatibility. The 60GB they had had 100 per cent backwards compatibility. They felt that by going down for 100 to 88, for example, that they'd have to add something in - and that's what they did.
    That was their decision. We just felt that we didn't want to complicate things; wewanted to have one model, and we've had one model, we've done very well with it, now we'll add value and we'll think about what we'll do closer to Christmas.

    So they're actually saying that it's okay to screw Europe over because it's a legacy screwover and not something new.

    He also stated in the interview that what Sony is doing in America can't be considered a price cut, so I suppose it's official now.
    darleysam wrote: »
    and yet i read an interview on gamasutra from a Sony deity saying that the 360 is a broken mess with no 'tail', whereas the PS3 is expected to be around for 10 years.
    I don't doubt the second half of that, it'll take that long for them to bring the price down to an affordable level.

    I have heard Sony throwing around the 10 year lifespan thing quite a bit, and I really hope they stick to it. Hopefully Microsoft won't push them into releasing a new console too early. This is part of the reason I went with a PS3. Xbox had only a friggin 4 year lifespan. It was last in the race last gen and first in this gen. I don't trust that they won't do that shit again. My PS2, on the other hand, is still going strong at 7 years. It's still being supported with great titles, even from Sony themselves.

    If Sony sticks to a 10 year lifespan, they're going to get the shit kicked out of them even more horribly in about 5 or so years, possibly by something that retails for even cheaper than what they've managed to drop the price to.

    jothki on
  • bombboybombboy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    frylocked wrote: »
    What does the PS3 use its hard drive for?
    I imagine it must store demos, music, and or video on its hard drive?
    Does it do it well as far as stuff to download?

    It caches games and preloads to cut on load times and reduces seek time (when compared between a Drive and a Disc)

    bombboy on
    XBL - BombBoyGT | PSN - BombBoyGT | Steam - BombBoy | BF4
  • dopplexdopplex Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    jothki wrote: »

    If Sony sticks to a 10 year lifespan, they're going to get the shit kicked out of them even more horribly in about 5 or so years, possibly by something that retails for even cheaper than what they've managed to drop the price to.

    Yeah - the ridiculous things about all the quotes about how the Wii won't stand up to the test of time is that the Wii doesn't have to. Nintendo isn't committed to a 10 year life cycle for their console, and it makes sense that in five years we'll see a new Wii iteration - fully BC (Maybe it drops GC support - but there's really no reason to do that, I think), but with HD support (HD penetration will necessitate that by then), better graphics chip, etc. And there's a good chance that they'll be able to sell that HD Wii at a cheaper price than the Wii is selling at now, due to component price cuts. There's even a good chance (a very good chance, actually, given how quickly graphics tech improves) that they can release something that does better graphics than the PS3 and the 360 for cheap by then.

    There's an advantage to iterating your hardware more often, in that you can keep prices lower while at the same time staying competitive with other consoles on the market. By targeting a console for a 10 year lifespan, you force yourself to release something with a very high cost of entry - you're forced to go with premium cost components to make it "future proof" - and then, you tie your hands and are unable to react to changes in the market, unless you drop your commitment to a 10 year life cycle.

    And a $250 Wii now, and a $250 Wii2 five years from now is still cheaper than Sony's single SKU target price.

    dopplex on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »
    and yet i read an interview on gamasutra from a Sony deity saying that the 360 is a broken mess with no 'tail', whereas the PS3 is expected to be around for 10 years.
    I don't doubt the second half of that, it'll take that long for them to bring the price down to an affordable level.

    I have heard Sony throwing around the 10 year lifespan thing quite a bit, and I really hope they stick to it. Hopefully Microsoft won't push them into releasing a new console too early. This is part of the reason I went with a PS3. Xbox had only a friggin 4 year lifespan. It was last in the race last gen and first in this gen. I don't trust that they won't do that shit again. My PS2, on the other hand, is still going strong at 7 years. It's still being supported with great titles, even from Sony themselves.

    true, but the original xbox was effectively dead weight. The way it was made meant they couldn't control the cost of its manufacture as easily, and it was nowhere near as popular as the PS2. Their plan for the 360 was to release a cheaper console than Sony, and get it out earlier than them, to gain a head-start. As such, it seems to be working (except in Japan). They learned a lot from their first entry, and are now able to better control the cost of their console. I guess it might not be for everyone, but it's even being seen as good of them to keep the price relatively stable for its first year, since the early adopters don't feel gypped by not holding out for a cheaper console. There's obviously two edges to that argument, but i'd take it as a sign of supporting the console and its owners better. I don't see why they'd be so quick to abandon the 360 this time around, especially as launching a new console against a PS3 (when its price would undoubtedly be lower) would most likely be to their detriment. Fans have already shown in droves that they prefer a cheaper console to a premium price, even if it's at the cost of a bit of performance. Launching a new console when the PS3 would have more momentum would be suicide.

    360 sales have been flat. About the same as XBOX sales. This is especially troubling for two reasons. Reason the first, the market has really grown in the last six years so realistically they are behind the XBOX. Reason the second is that they haven't really proven that they can successfully grow their core audience. The real proof of the second fact will be the fall and winter sales this year when they finally have multiple big ticket games to offer. If sales only pick up slightly then they'll have a huge problem, that being that the majority of people buying systems only wanted a few select games, namely GTA IV and Halo. They just happend to pick up their systems early. I'm still not convinced that the $400 mark is the right initial price for entry into the market. We seem to accept it, this being our hobby and all, but I'm not quite sure that Joe Sixpack is quite as up on it, especially compared with the modestly priced waggle box that everyone keeps talking about. To be fair though the price looks like a downright steal compared to the PS3. The PS3's price was probably as big a factor in last year's holiday numbers as Gears of War was.

    Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    bombboy wrote: »
    frylocked wrote: »
    What does the PS3 use its hard drive for?
    I imagine it must store demos, music, and or video on its hard drive?
    Does it do it well as far as stuff to download?

    It caches games and preloads to cut on load times and reduces seek time (when compared between a Drive and a Disc)

    Yes and it makes the PS3 a very nice media center. It can connect up to your PC via Media sharing software and you can copy files from your PC to the PS3. I don't really use it for music but I have used it to show Vacation photos. Primely I use it for watching Videos since it supports MPG, MPG2, and MP4.

    Speaking of which. Does anyone know of a good MP4 converter? One that does not mess up the resolution?

    As far as the 60 GB phase out goes I really don't know what Sony is thinking anymore. They have a good price point with a decent system configuration and they blow it by phasing it out. Top that with nothing really outstanding this year and Halo 3 coming out and it looks to be a very rough holiday for Sony.

    Artoria on
  • Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I said it before, and I'm going to say it once more, just so everyone can see that I called it. The 60 gig is being phased out because of the EE chip. Once it's gone, give it a month or so, then the 80 gig will be coming down to 500 bucks before the holidays. Trust me.

    Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • DaybreakDaybreak Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sony has just discovered how to have all the good press of price drops without any of the financial downside.

    In other words, they've figured out how to drop the price infinity times without actually dropping the price!

    I'd applaud them if I wasn't the one getting dicked around here.

    Daybreak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »
    and yet i read an interview on gamasutra from a Sony deity saying that the 360 is a broken mess with no 'tail', whereas the PS3 is expected to be around for 10 years.
    I don't doubt the second half of that, it'll take that long for them to bring the price down to an affordable level.

    I have heard Sony throwing around the 10 year lifespan thing quite a bit, and I really hope they stick to it. Hopefully Microsoft won't push them into releasing a new console too early. This is part of the reason I went with a PS3. Xbox had only a friggin 4 year lifespan. It was last in the race last gen and first in this gen. I don't trust that they won't do that shit again. My PS2, on the other hand, is still going strong at 7 years. It's still being supported with great titles, even from Sony themselves.

    true, but the original xbox was effectively dead weight. The way it was made meant they couldn't control the cost of its manufacture as easily, and it was nowhere near as popular as the PS2. Their plan for the 360 was to release a cheaper console than Sony, and get it out earlier than them, to gain a head-start. As such, it seems to be working (except in Japan). They learned a lot from their first entry, and are now able to better control the cost of their console. I guess it might not be for everyone, but it's even being seen as good of them to keep the price relatively stable for its first year, since the early adopters don't feel gypped by not holding out for a cheaper console. There's obviously two edges to that argument, but i'd take it as a sign of supporting the console and its owners better. I don't see why they'd be so quick to abandon the 360 this time around, especially as launching a new console against a PS3 (when its price would undoubtedly be lower) would most likely be to their detriment. Fans have already shown in droves that they prefer a cheaper console to a premium price, even if it's at the cost of a bit of performance. Launching a new console when the PS3 would have more momentum would be suicide.

    360 sales have been flat. About the same as XBOX sales. This is especially troubling for two reasons. Reason the first, the market has really grown in the last six years so realistically they are behind the XBOX. Reason the second is that they haven't really proven that they can successfully grow their core audience. The real proof of the second fact will be the fall and winter sales this year when they finally have multiple big ticket games to offer. If sales only pick up slightly then they'll have a huge problem, that being that the majority of people buying systems only wanted a few select games, namely GTA IV and Halo. They just happend to pick up their systems early. I'm still not convinced that the $400 mark is the right initial price for entry into the market. We seem to accept it, this being our hobby and all, but I'm not quite sure that Joe Sixpack is quite as up on it, especially compared with the modestly priced waggle box that everyone keeps talking about. To be fair though the price looks like a downright steal compared to the PS3. The PS3's price was probably as big a factor in last year's holiday numbers as Gears of War was.

    yeah, fair enough, i'll agree with that. This coming quarter/season/whatever will be very telling. There's a shockingly huge lineup of top-quality games coming for the 360, and it has to sell well to get itself going again. It can happen, but it remains to be seen if it will.

    darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I said it before, and I'm going to say it once more, just so everyone can see that I called it. The 60 gig is being phased out because of the EE chip. Once it's gone, give it a month or so, then the 80 gig will be coming down to 500 bucks before the holidays. Trust me.

    There is a pretty decent chance that there might be a backlog of 60 GBs until late fall, so I wonder if this other drop would even come anytime this year.

    Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • bombboybombboy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sony can just unbundle Motorstorm and sell the 80 GB for $500 or for $550. And they can still offer the 5 free BR movies. I just hope they're talking BS on the 60 GB Phase out because they'll bring it back later on without the EE chip as a "we phased out the old 60 GB" move.

    bombboy on
    XBL - BombBoyGT | PSN - BombBoyGT | Steam - BombBoy | BF4
  • Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    So do we have a list of what titles will and won't work with Software Emulation?

    Katchem_ash on
  • ghstwrldghstwrld Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    scene3largeym7.gif

    ghstwrld on
  • Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »
    and yet i read an interview on gamasutra from a Sony deity saying that the 360 is a broken mess with no 'tail', whereas the PS3 is expected to be around for 10 years.
    I don't doubt the second half of that, it'll take that long for them to bring the price down to an affordable level.

    I have heard Sony throwing around the 10 year lifespan thing quite a bit, and I really hope they stick to it. Hopefully Microsoft won't push them into releasing a new console too early. This is part of the reason I went with a PS3. Xbox had only a friggin 4 year lifespan. It was last in the race last gen and first in this gen. I don't trust that they won't do that shit again. My PS2, on the other hand, is still going strong at 7 years. It's still being supported with great titles, even from Sony themselves.

    true, but the original xbox was effectively dead weight. The way it was made meant they couldn't control the cost of its manufacture as easily, and it was nowhere near as popular as the PS2. Their plan for the 360 was to release a cheaper console than Sony, and get it out earlier than them, to gain a head-start. As such, it seems to be working (except in Japan). They learned a lot from their first entry, and are now able to better control the cost of their console. I guess it might not be for everyone, but it's even being seen as good of them to keep the price relatively stable for its first year, since the early adopters don't feel gypped by not holding out for a cheaper console. There's obviously two edges to that argument, but i'd take it as a sign of supporting the console and its owners better. I don't see why they'd be so quick to abandon the 360 this time around, especially as launching a new console against a PS3 (when its price would undoubtedly be lower) would most likely be to their detriment. Fans have already shown in droves that they prefer a cheaper console to a premium price, even if it's at the cost of a bit of performance. Launching a new console when the PS3 would have more momentum would be suicide.

    360 sales have been flat. About the same as XBOX sales. This is especially troubling for two reasons. Reason the first, the market has really grown in the last six years so realistically they are behind the XBOX. Reason the second is that they haven't really proven that they can successfully grow their core audience. The real proof of the second fact will be the fall and winter sales this year when they finally have multiple big ticket games to offer. If sales only pick up slightly then they'll have a huge problem, that being that the majority of people buying systems only wanted a few select games, namely GTA IV and Halo. They just happend to pick up their systems early. I'm still not convinced that the $400 mark is the right initial price for entry into the market. We seem to accept it, this being our hobby and all, but I'm not quite sure that Joe Sixpack is quite as up on it, especially compared with the modestly priced waggle box that everyone keeps talking about. To be fair though the price looks like a downright steal compared to the PS3. The PS3's price was probably as big a factor in last year's holiday numbers as Gears of War was.

    yeah, fair enough, i'll agree with that. This coming quarter/season/whatever will be very telling. There's a shockingly huge lineup of top-quality games coming for the 360, and it has to sell well to get itself going again. It can happen, but it remains to be seen if it will.

    Meh, to me the shockingly huge lineup of top-quality games is for the PS3. I think it'll all come down to marketing this holiday. Whichever company can actually get the message out there that these games are out for their system will get the boost in sales. But, as you said, I think neither will really boom quite yet. I'll give it until next year for the big boom.

    Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    bombboy wrote: »
    Sony can just unbundle Motorstorm and sell the 80 GB for $500 or for $550. And they can still offer the 5 free BR movies. I just hope they're talking BS on the 60 GB Phase out because they'll bring it back later on without the EE chip as a "we phased out the old 60 GB" move.

    I predict now that they will unbundle the Motorstorm pack-in as soon as they're done phasing out the 60GB unit and leave the 80GB unit at $599. Because that just seems to be the direction they're going this week.

    mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So do we have a list of what titles will and won't work with Software Emulation?

    I'm curious about that as well.

    jothki on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So do we have a list of what titles will and won't work with Software Emulation?

    No. Reports have games that mostly fucntion at a little over 80% and the games that function perfectly hovering somewhere around the 60% mark.

    Sounds grim but it gets worse if you remember just how many PS2 and PSX titles there are. There are a ton of popular titles out there that just don't work on the PS3, including, yes, some JRPGS.

    No complete lists exist, but I'm sure on some Eurotrash forum somewhere some nerds could give you a pretty good idea of what works and what doesn't. Of course, the simple changes in their versions could be enough to make some of their working titles fail while other failed titles work flawless here.

    Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ghstwrld wrote: »
    scene3largeym7.gif

    That sums things up rather nicely. I approve.

    Undead Scottsman on
  • bombboybombboy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    mausmalone wrote: »
    bombboy wrote: »
    Sony can just unbundle Motorstorm and sell the 80 GB for $500 or for $550. And they can still offer the 5 free BR movies. I just hope they're talking BS on the 60 GB Phase out because they'll bring it back later on without the EE chip as a "we phased out the old 60 GB" move.

    I predict now that they will unbundle the Motorstorm demo as soon as they're done phasing out the 60GB unit and leave the 80GB unit at $599. Because that just seems to be the direction they're going this week.

    Of course, that's plan "D" but it's the obvious one :lol:

    bombboy on
    XBL - BombBoyGT | PSN - BombBoyGT | Steam - BombBoy | BF4
  • cemetery mancemetery man Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So any speculation on when/if rumble will be coming back into Sony's PS3 controllers?

    cemetery man on
  • bombboybombboy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    For those asking, you can use the UK PS3 site as they have the EE-less PS3 and the website lists all BC games.

    http://faq.eu.playstation.com/bc/bcGames.htm

    bombboy on
    XBL - BombBoyGT | PSN - BombBoyGT | Steam - BombBoy | BF4
Sign In or Register to comment.