As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sony is almost assuredly phasing out 60GB PS3 in U.S. (OP update)

• SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Sleep wrote: »
    Yeah, I just saw this after my post. It's quite enticing, I must say, but I'll have to wait until I get some more money (I was expecting to get 1200 bucks, but it looks like I'm not), and until the 360 is actually stable. There's no way I'm going to purchase one with the current failure rate, even with the 3 year warranty. I'm not going to wait around a month while my console gets fixed. That's just not going to happen.

I imagine you're still waiting on Sony to nail down the PS2, then.

:-D

I've had my PS2 for 6 or so years now, and haven't had a problem at all with it. And, the DRE stuff didn't really come until later in the console's life. Unless I'm mistaken (and, I guess I could very well be), not many DREs came after only a month of owning a PS2, whereas the 360 was dead on arrival in some cases, and in others it took less than a month to die.

Eh. It's just a common thing man. MS reported that 30% of their consoles are failing due to the red rings. That's around 3 million consoles. Sony reports that 2% of their entire PS2 stock have had problems. 2% of 100,000,000 is 2 million consoles. Sony does not count Disc Read Errors as a problem, and never honored it. As anecdotal as it is, everyone know's someone who has had to replace a PS2 because of DRE (which seemed to start happening right as the warranty was up). People know others that have had to buy two or three PS2s due to DRE. I myself have bought three.

It's just something I bring up when people start talking about how no one should buy a 360 because of the failure rate, yet they have a PS2 sittin pretty on their entertainment center.

Sheep on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    Dear Sony,

It doesn't matter how awesome Killzone 2 and Uncharted look if your console costs SIX HUNDRED FUCKING DOLLARS. How could you not have learned this since November?

Lovingly yours, bruin

Hey, man, it took Sega like four years to figure this shit out. Give Sony some time.

Daedalus on
  • Sinister CheshireSinister Cheshire Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    someone posted a couple pages back that blu-ray has pretty much already won the DvD war...

is this true in any sense? I see just as many, if not more HD-DvD players/movies out there...and I dont know anyone who owns a blu-ray drive. Even the friends I have who bought the Ps3 got rid of it, without ever buying any blu ray movies.

I'm pretty sure we're still mucking through the DvD war. I wouldnt see the point of buying a blu-ray player when I could just buy a Ps3, and nobody is really buying them are they...except for the price drop upswing.

Sinister Cheshire on
  • Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Lach wrote: »
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Did anyone have any or know from first hand the difference between the software emulation of the PS3 versus the harddrive emulation?

EE hardware works for all titles, software doesn't. This is all that is necessary to know.

do they both upscale the games to 1080p?

Do you really want to see Resident Evil or FFVII in 1080p?

The pixel sizes would be pretendous.

And I can't imagine most PS2 games would be much better.

Wow, let's try not to be a cunt rag, shall we?

The upscaling is really, really nice. SotC, RE4, FFXII, great games, gorgeous when upscaled. Yeah, both the EE systems and the non-EE ones do, the only difference now is that the non-EE systems play fewer games.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    someone posted a couple pages back that blu-ray has pretty much already won the DvD war...

is this true in any sense? I see just as many, if not more HD-DvD players/movies out there...and I dont know anyone who owns a blu-ray drive. Even the friends I have who bought the Ps3 got rid of it, without ever buying any blu ray movies.

I'm pretty sure we're still mucking through the DvD war. I wouldnt see the point of buying a blu-ray player when I could just buy a Ps3, and nobody is really buying them are they...except for the price drop upswing.

Yeah, Blu-Ray is winning in the sense it's doing slightly less terrible against DVD than HD-DVD.

Furu on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Blu-ray is outseling HD-DVD 2to1.. However DVD's are outselling both by like a bazillion to one.

Blu-ray may be winning hte HD format war, but right now it's a war over a tiny scrap of land.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, I just saw this after my post. It's quite enticing, I must say, but I'll have to wait until I get some more money (I was expecting to get 1200 bucks, but it looks like I'm not), and until the 360 is actually stable. There's no way I'm going to purchase one with the current failure rate, even with the 3 year warranty. I'm not going to wait around a month while my console gets fixed. That's just not going to happen.

I imagine you're still waiting on Sony to nail down the PS2, then.

:-D

I've had my PS2 for 6 or so years now, and haven't had a problem at all with it. And, the DRE stuff didn't really come until later in the console's life. Unless I'm mistaken (and, I guess I could very well be), not many DREs came after only a month of owning a PS2, whereas the 360 was dead on arrival in some cases, and in others it took less than a month to die.

Eh. It's just a common thing man. MS reported that 30% of their consoles are failing due to the red rings. That's around 3 million consoles. Sony reports that 2% of their entire PS2 stock have had problems. 2% of 100,000,000 is 2 million consoles. Sony does not count Disc Read Errors as a problem, and never honored it. As anecdotal as it is, everyone know's someone who has had to replace a PS2 because of DRE (which seemed to start happening right as the warranty was up). People know others that have had to buy two or three PS2s due to DRE. I myself have bought three.

It's just something I bring up when people start talking about how no one should buy a 360 because of the failure rate, yet they have a PS2 sittin pretty on their entertainment center.

But the chances of you getting a DRE system is quite a bit less than going out and buying a 360 now and getting a red ring. 30% > 2%. I'm not saying Sony is a better company at all, and I'm not really dissing Microsoft in this instance. Had there been a 30% drop rate of PS2 when I got mine, I simply would not have gotten mine at that time. That's all I'm saying here is that with a 30% failure rate, I'm not going to drop a couple hundred bucks and then have to wait a month or so while my console gets fixed. To be honest, I know all of 1 person that ever had a DRE, and that was, again, 5+ years after he got his console. Everyone else I know has had a 100% success rate. I still have my fat PS2, as does my girlfriend and my roommate.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I kinda want to get a PSTwo just because they're so tiny.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Sinister CheshireSinister Cheshire Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Blu-ray is outseling HD-DVD 2to1.. However DVD's are outselling both by like a bazillion to one.

Blu-ray may be winning hte HD format war, but right now it's a war over a tiny scrap of land.

yar...my dvd player (360 or PS2) is familiar and cozy. I like the look of HD and blu ray, but its kinda like buying the special edition of every new movie out there...do I really give a shit whats on the extra discs? no..not really.

Sinister Cheshire on
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

They get hotter than the surface of the sun.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    chasm953 wrote: »

Mine doesn't. Maybe your fan is broken?

It does get a little hot, but nothing to worry about. Not nearly as hot as my stupid gaming laptop.

Daedalus on
    edited July 2007

But the chances of you getting a DRE system is quite a bit less than going out and buying a 360 now and getting a red ring. 30% > 2%. I'm not saying Sony is a better company at all, and I'm not really dissing Microsoft in this instance. Had there been a 30% drop rate of PS2 when I got mine, I simply would not have gotten mine at that time. That's all I'm saying here is that with a 30% failure rate, I'm not going to drop a couple hundred bucks and then have to wait a month or so while my console gets fixed. To be honest, I know all of 1 person that ever had a DRE, and that was, again, 5+ years after he got his console. Everyone else I know has had a 100% success rate. I still have my fat PS2, as does my girlfriend and my roommate.

But that's my point. No one knows the real defect rate for PS2's because Sony never honored the fact that millions of PS2's were failing.

But as far as anecdotal arguments go, I only know two people that have had to send in their 360. The other dozen or so are still kickin.

Sheep on
  • Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    chasm953 wrote: »

Mine doesn't. Maybe your fan is broken?

It does get a little hot, but nothing to worry about. Not nearly as hot as my stupid gaming laptop.

Mine doesn't either, but there's no fan. Just don't sit the thing on carpet or anything like that. Also, the vertical stand is really useful.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Warder45Warder45 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    While phasing out the EE chip maybe part of why they dropped the price I don't think it's the entire reason. They are struggling in terms of sales, especially since there are no "console selling" games out yet. I'm sure sony stockholders were not to happy. Lowering the price to increase sales numbers right now to sony probably seems like a great plan, since they can then phase out the old hardware(lowering supply chain costs), increase their sales numbers to appease all parties, close in on xbox360 sales for the summer, and at the end charge the original price once they start having a larger game library. This small summer sales boost also works in their favor by increasing the amount of blue-ray players in the market. Probably worth the extra loss on each PS3.

Warder45 on
    edited July 2007

But that's my point. No one knows the real defect rate for PS2's because Sony never honored the fact that millions of PS2's were failing.

But as far as anecdotal arguments go, I only know two people that have had to send in their 360. The other dozen or so are still kickin.

Anecdotal evidence is a funny thing. Anecdotally I know 0 people that have 360s. I know 2 others that have a PS3, though. So, yeah, I'm not trying to prove anything anecdotally. I'm just saying that at the time that I bought my PS2 there was not a big failure rate, because had there been, then I wouldn't buy one. 30% is just too high for me to chance it. I do hope they fix the problem next year, though, because then I'll be on the 360 bandwagon. Until then, I can wait.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I just

buh...gah....

How could they be so stupid? Just as everyone's starting to think they're turning it around (the price is dropping, games look good at E3), they pull this shit? Even if they drop the price of the 80GB $50 or $100 before the holidays, I wont be able to get the idea that the 60GB should still be around and have the same price drop out of my head. Hell, I'd consider getting a PS3 for $400.

bruin on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    As I've said before, this is the very definition of a short term fix to a long term problem.

The fix is that they'll experience a few months of boosted sales.

The problem is that when the boost is over, they'll be right back where they were

Furu on
    edited July 2007

Anecdotal evidence is a funny thing. Anecdotally I know 0 people that have 360s. I know 2 others that have a PS3, though. So, yeah, I'm not trying to prove anything anecdotally. I'm just saying that at the time that I bought my PS2 there was not a big failure rate, because had there been, then I wouldn't buy one. 30% is just too high for me to chance it. I do hope they fix the problem next year, though, because then I'll be on the 360 bandwagon. Until then, I can wait.

Can't argue with that.

I imagine the kinks will be ironed out by the time they switch over to the new chips.

Sheep on
  • BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Furu wrote: »

Yeah, Blu-Ray is winning in the sense it's doing slightly less terrible against DVD than HD-DVD.

My dad bought a blue-ray player (thanks Best Buy for convincing him to go that route). I told him that there is no clear winner in the format war and that he should have waited because early adopters to technilogy usually end up regretting it. He started screaming at me calling me and my sisters ungrateful kids.

Stupid stupid family

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    And throw me into the crowd of people who think Sony has officially lost their mind. They should be working on trying to get the price down to the sweet spots of $400, $300, and $200, and below as soon as possible, not throwing in extra stuff to justify keeping the price at $600 indefinitely.

Sony's clearly going for the iPod model of pricing, but that really only works when the product sells well enough at the existing price marks, plus when there's long lengths of time between price adjustments.

The PS3 has had four such price adjustments in less than a year. This is staggering, and some people are even theorizing that after the 60GB PS3s are sold out Sony will attempt to drop the price of the 80GB. Even if this completely hypthetical notion were true, what would compel a consumer to buy something now when the price is going to be cheaper so soon?
    bruin wrote:
    I just

buh...gah....

How could they be so stupid? Just as everyone's starting to think they're turning it around (the price is dropping, games look good at E3), they pull this shit? Even if they drop the price of the 80GB $50 or $100 before the holidays, I wont be able to get the idea that the 60GB should still be around and have the same price drop out of my head. Hell, I'd consider getting a PS3 for $400.
    The worst part is this trend of "wait three or four months, the PS3 will change prices again." Taking this trend into account, sales of the PS3 will be brisk in July, but then stagnant in August, September and October -- the months when some of the biggest games of the freaking generation are coming out for Microsoft and Nintendo and console sales will be through the roof. I'm stunned.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Look guys this was blindingly obviously going to happen.

The Motorstorm bundle says "limited edition" in big bright letters right on the box. They will clear out old stock, then drop the 80 gig price point to $500, as it is less expensive to build tan the 60 gig version. It'll happen probably in September or October.

deadonthestreet on
    edited July 2007

The Motorstorm bundle says "limited edition" in big bright letters right on the box. They will clear out old stock, then drop the 80 gig price point to $500, as it is less expensive to build tan the 60 gig version. It'll happen probably in September or October.

Yes, it sure is "blindingly obvious" that this is going to happen, when Sony's own executives say it won't.

Suffice to say I'll believe it when I see it.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Well, they're officially done. The psuedo price drop was already pathetically inadequate for the purpose of generating a sustained sales boost, and this wonderful decision now ensures that the 'olol Sony' meme will survive for another calendar year while PS3s continue to gather dust in warehouses and on retail shelves all over the world (but now with 20 GB more HDD space!).

And I agree with the sentiment posted earlier - someone high up at Sony hates the PS3 and wants it to die. There's just no other justification for this level of stupid.

JihadJesus on
  • LachLach Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Lach wrote: »
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Did anyone have any or know from first hand the difference between the software emulation of the PS3 versus the harddrive emulation?

EE hardware works for all titles, software doesn't. This is all that is necessary to know.

do they both upscale the games to 1080p?

Do you really want to see Resident Evil or FFVII in 1080p?

The pixel sizes would be pretendous.

And I can't imagine most PS2 games would be much better.

Wow, let's try not to be a cunt rag, shall we?

The upscaling is really, really nice. SotC, RE4, FFXII, great games, gorgeous when upscaled. Yeah, both the EE systems and the non-EE ones do, the only difference now is that the non-EE systems play fewer games.

Thank you for answering my question. I feel like the 60GB version is the one to get, I sold my PS2 and I hope to sell my oppo upscaling DVD player and replace both with a PS3...

Lach on
    edited July 2007

Yes, it sure is "blindingly obvious" that this is going to happen, when Sony's own executives say it won't.

Why the hell would Sony executives announce to the world that they should basically wait and get the 80 gig cheaper just before the holidays? I mean, I know you guys think Sony is stupid, but announcing you're going to drop the price on something later so that people don't buy your product now is just way too dumb. Of course they're not going to mention that, but it's pretty obvious they will.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
    edited July 2007

Why the hell would Sony executives announce to the world that they should basically wait and get the 80 gig cheaper just before the holidays? I mean, I know you guys think Sony is stupid, but announcing you're going to drop the price on something later so that people don't buy your product now is just way too dumb. Of course they're not going to mention that, but it's pretty obvious they will.
    I think it's pretty clear that it's only "obvious" to people who want to believe it's "obvious".

Incidentally, good show on conflating "not saying it" with "actively denying it".

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
    edited July 2007
    apotheos wrote:
    Maybe they need to dress up some guy as Princess Leia in a bikini to try and push the $599 SKU.

Sold.

But only if I can take the gold clad, skimpy brunette with me.

Sheep on
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    so a 20 GB hard drive increase and a game... that's worth $100? Couldn't it even be a good game?

Actually that ain't too bad. You pay an extra $100 for 20gb and a wireless controller in the 360 camp.

MS should start giving Viva Pinata away w/ 360s that game is so boss.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • spydeyspydey Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm glad I got mine this week.

spydey on
    cp468kw5.gif
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Lunker wrote: »
    The worst part is this trend of "wait three or four months, the PS3 will change prices again." Taking this trend into account, sales of the PS3 will be brisk in July, but then stagnant in August, September and October -- the months when some of the biggest games of the freaking generation are coming out for Microsoft and Nintendo and console sales will be through the roof. I'm stunned.

I'm thinking like this:

Ok, so when it gets to $400 Canadian or so it becomes a possible purchase.

But..at the time it hits that price, what ELSE is going to be out there? And how close will we be to the next 360/Wii?

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Warder45 wrote: »
    While phasing out the EE chip maybe part of why they dropped the price I don't think it's the entire reason. They are struggling in terms of sales, especially since there are no "console selling" games out yet. I'm sure sony stockholders were not to happy. Lowering the price to increase sales numbers right now to sony probably seems like a great plan, since they can then phase out the old hardware(lowering supply chain costs), increase their sales numbers to appease all parties, close in on xbox360 sales for the summer, and at the end charge the original price once they start having a larger game library. This small summer sales boost also works in their favor by increasing the amount of blue-ray players in the market. Probably worth the extra loss on each PS3.

They dropped the price of the one with the EE chip. The one without it (which is apparently cheaper to produce) is still $600. I know that's not what you were implying, but I find it really funny that it worked out that way.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    apotheos wrote:
    Maybe they need to dress up some guy as Princess Leia in a bikini to try and push the $599 SKU.

Sold.

But only if I can take the gold clad, skimpy brunette with me.

Sure, have fun.

Wonder if they'll ever drop the price in the UK, I'd buy one at £250 I think.

Rook on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sheesh. The folks at Sony need to figure out that the $600 price point is downright radioactive. Nothing will sell at that price (game system-wise), and all it does is reinforce the notion that the PS3 is stupidly expensive. They really, REALLY need to flee that price as soon as they can to erase that thought in people's minds, but no, they're embracing it for some unfathomable reason.

Actually, the reason is that they want to control the money lost per system manufactured. Unfortunately, they can't do that and grow the audience. Hell, the 360 is having a bit of trouble being sold at $400, after all.

Edit: Even if they are planning a 80GB price drop this year, this news is already annoying the shit out of developers. This won't exactly encourage them to stop jumping ship.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wow, man. This is bullshit.

NickTheNewbie on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sony isn't completely retarded. They've realized by now that pricing the console at $600 was a huge fucking mistake and it just doesn't sell at that price. But they can't do anything about it because they can't afford to do such a heavy price drop so soon. They need to make back their losses eventually. Having a console that sells decently isn't much comfort when every sale is like a punch in the gut.

Zek on
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    Sony isn't completely retarded. They've realized by now that pricing the console at $600 was a huge fucking mistake and it just doesn't sell at that price. But they can't do anything about it because they can't afford to do such a heavy price drop so soon. They need to make back their losses eventually. Having a console that sells decently isn't much comfort when every sale is like a punch in the gut.

Disagree!

bruin on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If they intended to immediately drop the price of the 80 gig version once the 60 gig version clears out, they could have just released it at $550, which would be more of a fair tradeoff for 20 gigs of space, a game, and the loss of the EE.

jothki on
  • devolvedevolve Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Where is this 30% number coming from? Did MS admit something in the past couple of days that I somehow missed?

devolve on
    detriot.png
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    so a 20 GB hard drive increase and a game... that's worth $100? Couldn't it even be a good game?

Actually that ain't too bad. You pay an extra $100 for 20gb and a wireless controller in the 360 camp.

And component cables and a headset.
    And Hexic I think?

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I thought they might do that. Can we just admit that Sony's gaming division is completely retarded?

Motorstorm being packed in doesn't help justify the price. By the time the 60GB is phased out, it might have already gone down in price or be available for a lot less used. It also costs Sony very little to make.

Couscous on