As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sony is almost assuredly phasing out 60GB PS3 in U.S. (OP update)

• SmudgeSmudge Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    mausmalone wrote: »
    titmouse wrote: »
    Titmouse the PS2 is near its 8th year in Japan and 7th here. So ...yeah shut up.

The PS3 is the PS2 now?

Then what the hell was the point of your post? You were saying it as if 10 years is just unfeasible. I see now you were just being a dick.

The PS2 is the most successful and widely adopted console in all of history and it couldn't make the 10 year mark without requiring replacement to keep up. So, yeah, the idea that the PS3 is going to make 10 years without having such a strong user base is laughable.

So...they should have stuck with the PS2 for another 3 years after the 360 had launched before releasing their next console?

No, that would have been really stupid. Just like sticking with the PS3 for 10 years would be really stupid. Are you starting to get the point now? Please?

Smudge on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    KiTA wrote: »
    LCDXX wrote: »
    Now I'm confused... I can understand if the Sony Europe guy was talking out of his ass and screwed up... but Kaz supported the statement and even echoed the exact same information.

Now the OP has me scratching my head...

What the fuck?

Hm, having watched Sony for a while, I would say that the best guess, going on Sony's recent history, is that they screwed up, they didn't intend for us to know this until they had already done it, and are trying to backpedal as fast as they can.

Yeah, I was actually confused until they denied it, at which point it started to make sense.

jothki on
  • mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    mausmalone wrote: »
    Titmouse the PS2 is near its 8th year in Japan and 7th here. So ...yeah shut up.

The PS3 is the PS2 now?

Then what the hell was the point of your post? You were saying it as if 10 years is just unfeasible. I see now you were just being a dick.

The PS2 is the most successful and widely adopted console in all of history and it couldn't make the 10 year mark without requiring replacement to keep up. So, yeah, the idea that the PS3 is going to make 10 years without having such a strong user base is laughable.

So...they should have stuck with the PS2 for another 3 years after the 360 had launched before releasing their next console?

So why do you think they'll keep the PS3 after the next XBox comes out (which will certainly be in less than 10 years ... probably 4 or 5 years now)?

EDIT: meaning ... it's an inevitability that there will be a new XBox or Nintendo system within the next 5 years. Therefore it's inevitable that Sony will have to replace the PS3 in order to keep up within the next 5 years. The idea that it could go 10 years without replacement is an easy technological possibility, but it's completely impossible if you want to compete in this market.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    http://kotaku.com/gaming/durr/the-great-60gb-phase-out-clusterfuck-278256.php

Those quotes from David Reeves are not accurate. He said that if they had lowered the price in Europe, that territory would have run out of their current inventory by the end of July... As announced this week, SCEA's product offering in North America consists of a 80GB PS3 available in August at $599 and a 60GB PS3 available now for $499. We have will have ample supplies of both models to meet the needs of our consumers for the foreseeable future.

Note they don't deny, at all, that they're phasing it out or stopping production. Just that they have plenty of stock for the foreseeable future. And yes, since the stores simply can't sell these damned things, even giving away $100+ worth of Blue Ray movies with them, I imagine they have plenty of stock.

In corporatespeek a lack of a No means Yes.

KiTA on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    meatflower wrote: »
    Anybody who has believed the 10 year thing ever is a fucking moron. Look at 10 years ago today, 1997. What were you playing in 1997? GoldenEye on N64 or something. Technology advances on a daily basis and makes leaps and bounds in much less time than 10 years. Just because one stupid company says their console lasts 10 years doesn't mean anyone is actually going to keep playing it that long.
    Ironically, you are exactly correct. Ten years ago today, I was playing Goldeneye on my friend's N64 at his birthday party. We played four player split-screen deathmatch with akimbo weapons on. Then I got my second grenade launcher; it was awesome, cool and possibly even radical (I forget, was "radical" still "in" back then?).

But I don't think Sony said the PS3 would "last" ten years, not per console at any rate; they said the "product cycle" would be ten years, presumably meaning that the last PS3 will be remaindered ten years hence...

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Those quotes from David Reeves are not accurate. He said that if they had lowered the price in Europe, that territory would have run out of their current inventory by the end of July... As announced this week, SCEA's product offering in North America consists of a 80GB PS3 available in August at $599 and a 60GB PS3 available now for $499. We have will have ample supplies of both models to meet the needs of our consumers for the foreseeable future.

Note they don't deny, at all, that they're phasing it out or stopping production. Just that they have plenty of stock for the foreseeable future. And yes, since the stores simply can't sell these damned things, even giving away $100+ worth of Blue Ray movies with them, I imagine they have plenty of stock.

Yep. This really isn't any different from Sony saying "no, we have no plans for a price drop" days before they drop the price.

To be fair, lots of companies pull this crap. It's just that Sony has been reeeeeeeeally obvious about it lately.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

If the stock is good enough to last for the foreseeable future, then they won't produce any more of the 60GB. If they aren't producing any more of that model, then production is effectively stopped. I don't see why the hell they would keep on producing the model if they expect the stock to last for a long time.

Couscous on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

If the stock is good enough to last for the foreseeable future, then they won't produce any more of the 60GB. If they aren't producing any more of that model, then production is effectively stopped. I don't see why the hell they would keep on producing the model if they expect the stock to last for a long time.

The point is, they blatantly didn't deny that 60GB production was stopped indefinitely, i.e. as soon as they sell out we're back to just a $600 option. Kaz says so himself in no unclear terms in that video.

Zek on
  • slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Guys, guys, guys.

I am usually the first one to hop on here and make fun of Sony. I think they've been astronomically stupid, and have thrown away a near-total marketshare in a $15 billion industry for dreams and wishes of rainbows and unicorns.

HOWEVER, the whole Sony "10 year life" on their systems have been pretty accurate so far.

The original PSX came out in 1995, and IIRC, one of the last big releases for that system was Madden 2005. See, 10 years, and there are still some stores that carry new and sealed PSX games.

The PS2 came out here in 2000. Fast forward to now, seven years later, and the PS2 is JUST NOW losing marketshare to the "next-gen" systems. Hell, up until what, a month or two ago, the PS2 was still the #1 system for system sales, and PS2 game sales are still stomping just about everything else, minus certain DS games, I believe. I have no doubts that the PS2 will continue on admirably until 2010 (especially considering how the PS3's doing olol).

The monkeys that run Sony have screwed everything up as much as they possibly could, but the one thing they have done well is market their systems for the 10 years that they've been promising....I guess.

Having said all that, I have VERY serious doubts that the PS3 will last as long as its predecessors.

I personally believe Microsoft and Nintendo collaborated together, flew in a bunch of witch doctors, and are now using voodoo to manipulate and control Sony execs into destroying the juggernaut that is the Playstation brand. There can be no other explanation.....wait, can Reggie shapeshift?

slurpeepoop on
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Well good job Sony, I'm getting a PS3 tonight.

Being that the better model of PS3 won't be around forever, AND that it's as cheap as it's gonna get, they're effectively forcing my hand here. And that, right after putting on an impressive showing at E3.

Sony, I love you. Sony, I hate you.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • chaossoldierchaossoldier Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Interview today with Reeves
    GS UK: So, let's talk about the price drop of the PS3 in America and not in the UK. Many would ask instead of the new bundle, why not just drop the price of the PS3 in the UK?

DR: Let's understand what the Americans have done. They're going to introduce an 80GB model at $599 with MotorStorm on August 1 and they've got stock in trade of the old model. They're just selling it off, they're not dropping the price. The price from August 1 is going to be $599 because all the 60GB models will have gone. They've got to find a way to get rid of the old stock and that's what they're doing. We don't have that problem in Europe.

chaossoldier on
    stopit.gifsophia.gifrotj.png
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2007
    Someone needs to make a PS3 version of that "It prints money!" DS pic. Except give the PS3 a big, toothy maw, and say, "It eats money!"

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    edited July 2007
    They're just selling it off, they're not dropping the price.
    :lol:
    Sony itself says it isn't a price drop.

Couscous on
  • Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Guys, guys, guys.

I am usually the first one to hop on here and make fun of Sony. I think they've been astronomically stupid, and have thrown away a near-total marketshare in a $15 billion industry for dreams and wishes of rainbows and unicorns.

HOWEVER, the whole Sony "10 year life" on their systems have been pretty accurate so far.

The original PSX came out in 1995, and IIRC, one of the last big releases for that system was Madden 2005. See, 10 years, and there are still some stores that carry new and sealed PSX games.

Dude, Madden '05 may have come out for PS1, but come on... By 2004/2005, how many people didn't own a next-gen system? All 3 were out by then (Madden '05 came out for all 4 systems). Just because you can still find the odd game for an old system doesn't mean it's not "dead" yet.

Technology changes. It's not going to wait up so that Sony's 10-year-prediction can come true.
    SimBen wrote:

Don't do it, man. Don't you give up on me!

Vargas Prime on
  • Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    SimBen wrote: »

Being that the better model of PS3 won't be around forever, AND that it's as cheap as it's gonna get, they're effectively forcing my hand here. And that, right after putting on an impressive showing at E3.

Sony, I love you. Sony, I hate you.
    That not a bad reason to get a PS3, but at least for me, I refuse to support this kind of bullshit.

So no PS3 for me for a decent while it seems.

Snake Gandhi on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    GS UK: So, let's talk about the price drop of the PS3 in America and not in the UK. Many would ask instead of the new bundle, why not just drop the price of the PS3 in the UK?

DR: Let's understand what the Americans have done. They're going to introduce an 80GB model at $599 with MotorStorm on August 1 and they've got stock in trade of the old model. They're just selling it off, they're not dropping the price. The price from August 1 is going to be $599 because all the 60GB models will have gone. They've got to find a way to get rid of the old stock and that's what they're doing. We don't have that problem in Europe.

Something tells me that Reeves won't be as mouthy once the Sony ninjas have kidnapped his family.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited July 2007
    Lunker wrote: »

Something tells me that Reeves won't be as mouthy once the Sony ninjas have kidnapped his family.
    GS UK: You said something really special would be coming for PS3 at this years Leipzig. Anymore you can tell us about that?

DR: ...

GS UK: Is it going to be something on the software side? A download?

DR: None of those.

GS UK: Ok. So peripheral based perhaps?

DR: Possibly. Possibly a peripheral.
    LOL rumble?

Couscous on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

So Reeves said the same thing in two different ways in two different interviews. Either he's completely clueless, or the American and Japanese branches forgot to tell him to lie.

jothki on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

GS UK: You said something really special would be coming for PS3 at this years Leipzig. Anymore you can tell us about that?

LOL rumble?

Impossible! Sony said that Rumble wouldn't work on the SIXAXIS! They wouldn't lie to us, would they?

Khavall on
    edited July 2007
    jothki wrote: »

So Reeves said the same thing in two different ways in two different interviews. Either he's completely clueless, or the American and Japanese branches forgot to tell him to lie.

And Kaz forgot to lie. Does internal communication in Sony suck that much?

Couscous on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Khavall wrote: »

LOL rumble?

Impossible! Sony said that Rumble wouldn't work on the SIXAXIS! They wouldn't lie to us, would they?

So would you rather them come out and say, "Listen, we screwed up. Here's rumble for you," or continue the possible deception and not give us rumble? Either way, I imagine we'll jump on them regardless. I've got the steak knives ready.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    From Gamespot:
    [UPDATE] Following a flurry of confusion, the matter was apparently settled by none other than Sony Computer Entertainment's president and CEO. Speaking to Norwegian game-news outlet VGTV, Kaz Hirai said in no uncertain terms that the 60GB version is being phased out.

"From a hardware perspective, the $499 price adjustment we did for the 60GB version for the American market, we're no longer in production for that product," he said in an on-camera interview. "Once that product is gone from the retailer shelves, then we're back to a $599 SKU only, so it's not like we have a two-price strategy in the US market. We found out very early on how consumers react to having just one SKU as opposed to two."

So, yea...

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
    edited July 2007
    Dashui wrote: »

So would you rather them come out and say, "Listen, we screwed up. Here's rumble for you," or continue the possible deception and not give us rumble? Either way, I imagine we'll jump on them regardless. I've got the steak knives ready.

I would prefer the first option. However, they won't do that. They will probably say something about having solved the problem of getting rumble to work with the super high tech Sixaxis. That will technically be true as the lawsuit was the problem.

Couscous on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Dashui wrote: »

I would prefer the first option. However, they won't do that. They will probably say something about having solved the problem of getting rumble to work with the super high tech Sixaxis. That will technically be true as the lawsuit was the problem.

Well, I honestly don't give a shit what the executives say, just as long as I can get rumble in the near future. Even if we don't, I still don't care. I have the system for games, not to listen and moan about the stupidities that come out of some of the executives' mouths. They can shit in the mouth of a Chinese hooker for all I care, just as long as I get to play this year's line-up and beyond.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    during this e3 i had been getting excited for the ps3. genuinely excited about it for the first time.

hell, i was even starting to justify the $500 price point in my head.

after seeing that kaz video? fuck you, sony, you lost my sale. hell, if i buy one, itll be used.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Jebus fucking fuck this is all so retarded.

It is so hard to stay focussed on the games with all this bullshit going on, I mean, Sony had a great E3, but despite all this utter horse crap going on, I can't help but feel that in Europe we are getting even more of a shitty deal here. No 20Gig, no 80Gig, no EE chip, a damned high cost... but instead of a "price-drop-wait-no-price-drop" we get Motorstorm and Resistance with the 60Gig EE-less unit at £425?

This is just crazy.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • devolvedevolve Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    during this e3 i had been getting excited for the ps3. genuinely excited about it for the first time.

after seeing that kaz video? fuck you, sony, you lost my sale. hell, if i buy one, itll be used.

It's intentionally deceptive as all fuck. They press released about the price drop (and they called it as much) to take away from MS's conference, and only now are admitting that it's not that at all. It's all out lying.

devolve on
    detriot.png
  • cemetery mancemetery man Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Picked one up at Best Buy today since i had a bunch of gift cards. They were not able to give me the free controller pricematch with Circuit City since CC was out of stock. But if CC restocks while their special is on I can go back to BB and get my PM at that time.

Also.. selling my PS2 on eBay now so I'll think of that as a mail in rebate.

cemetery man on
  • Evan WatersEvan Waters Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sony has officially graduated from making questionable decisions to making decisions in such a manner that you can't even tell what they are.

They're starting to resemble a corporation in a cyberpunk game, where the further you delve into their plans the less sense they make and the more complicated it all becomes, until you finally break through the looking glass where black is white and there are no spoons and the crawling chaos seethes and bubbles at the center of the universe.

Someday a book will be written about this period in Sony's history, and the Audiobook version will be read by the Robot Ghost of Christmas Past From the Future.

Evan Waters on
  • superslothsupersloth Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sony really does know how to shit on all of the good will they occasionally pick up.

supersloth on
    elsupersloth.jpg
    muh.
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    devolve wrote: »

It's intentionally deceptive as all fuck. They press released about the price drop (and they called it as much) to take away from MS's conference, and only now are admitting that it's not that at all. It's all out lying.

I really think now would be a prime time for MS to give a (real) price cut, even just $50 or so, just to fuck Sony up the ass the way Sony did to them.

Khavall on
    edited July 2007

I really think now would be a prime time for MS to give a price cut, even just $50 or so, just to fuck Sony up the ass the way Sony did to them.

Reducing the price to 360 dollars would be perfect.

Couscous on
  • MephistophelesMephistopheles Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    OK, the utter amount of bullshit that is going on here is ridiculous. No one has ever trusted Sony as a company, but I never thought that they would lie through their damned teeth about this. Freaking insulting, is what it is, and I'm swearing the whole thing off. No PS3 for me, not now, not later. No company should be able to get away with pulling off the circus Sony is doing now.

What do they think, that we're so stupid we'll forget that the PRESIDENT OF THE DAMN COMPANY said they aren't having 2 separate price points, and $600 is still it, then they denied the whole thing, then, in a few weeks they'll have to admit that what he said is right and they were lying about it? As if, in those few weeks, we'll have forgotten this whole thing? Goddammit, that pisses me off more than anything. Plus all the sixaxis rumble bullcrap they've been feeding us for years.

I don't care if MGS4 and Killzone 2 are the best games ever, I've washed my hands of this, and it is settled for me. I haven't bought a console yet this gen, but 360+Wii is looking money. I realize ranting about all of this isn't going to change their minds, but I sure feel better.

Mephistopheles on
    "Friends are just enemies in reverse."
    - Gary Busey
    A Glass, Darkly
  • victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'd say this completely killed Sony's E3 in my eyes.

They could have just let it go, they could have swallowed the losses. They could have just shut the fuck up and stayed quiet about it.

This just made me seriously lose trust in Sony. Before it was just lol Sony, now it's a shameful nod in disagreement.

Making your future consumer base confused with mistrust isn't the way to go.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I really think now would be a prime time for MS to give a price cut, even just $50 or so, just to fuck Sony up the ass the way Sony did to them.

The UK press was all "America gets PS3 price drop, UK gets no such luck, suckers" and now its just...

What the fuck is it now?

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
    edited July 2007

The UK press was all "America gets PS3 price drop, UK gets no such luck, suckers" and now its just...

What the fuck is it now?
    "American gets 20 extra GB for the same price, UK gets older version and still pays out of the ass for it.

Couscous on
  • Evan WatersEvan Waters Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

What the fuck is it now?

There was never a price drop. We have always been at war with Eurasia.

Evan Waters on
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The right hand doesn't know what the left is doing. Can I get a "Sony lol"?

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

LOL rumble?
    OMG PS3mote CONFIRMED!!!!!!

JihadJesus on
  • Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Vegan wrote: »
    The right hand doesn't know what the left is doing. Can I get a "Sony lol"?

I think roughly 95% of the posts in this thread could be counted as a "lol sony."

Did someone post a link a while back in the thread about Sony releasing a $500 Blu-Ray player? Because that's hilarious.

Vargas Prime on