As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wireless Network Card Advice

Corrosive MonkeyCorrosive Monkey Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Basically I need a wireless network card or an adaptor, and I have no idea of what makes are good, or which I should go for. The issue is also complicated by the location of the router and my computer. Seen in the spoiler box.
Layout-pa.gif

The green circle is the router and red is my PC. The distance is about 3-4 metres direct line and the walls are about 6 inches thick solid stone.

Prefferably the price would be no more than about £30 ($60) and needs to be able to be got from a UK location.

Corrosive Monkey on

• Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    3-4 Meters shouldn't be a problem for most home Wireless Routers.

Personally, I prefer Dlink products first, Linksys is my second choice.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    FristleFristle Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I have been through a lot of consumer-grade wireless gear. I have had the best experience (although not perfect by any means) with Linksys. For a while I was happy using D-Link products (2004-2005) but they were not performing well with certain security features turned on, and I worked my way all the way up the tech support chain to the product engineers, until I determined they were not going to fix the flaw. I replaced the offending card and router with slightly more expensive Linksys ones and it was smooth sailing after that. That's just my experience.

The walls are probably not solid stone, unless you live in a medieval castle. They're probably cinder block, right? Those are mostly hollow, and probably won't pose any issues. I took the following list from here:

Wireless signal attenuation, by material:
    * Plasterboard wall 3dB
    * Glass wall with metal frame 6dB
    * Cinder block wall 4dB
    * Office window 3dB
    * Metal door 6dB
    * Metal door in brick wall 12.4dB

Even with two cinder block walls, the router signal should be loud and clear. If the walls are brick though, that is indeed solid and I would assume they would cause more signal loss.

Fristle on
    Fristle.jpg