Options

Why Is There No Wii Fit Thread?

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So long as each one comes with a free fitness instructor as well as the board (gender of your choice) it will sell by the billion...especially if they all look like Josephine (instructor number three).

For poses and such; one, the boards seem to be pretty sensitive so they probably can detect errors in pose by balance alone, two, the wiimote is still required - maybe they use that in some of the poses, or even calibration exercises?

For FPS/extreme sports games: HELL YES! I want Metroid Prime 4 with balance control already...

For other games and things; this is probably a bluetooth controller, since it is evidently wireless and the Wii uses bluetooth for it's wireless controllers which means it can be hooked up to PCs. I for one can't wait to play UT3 on m balance board....

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

For other games and things; this is probably a bluetooth controller, since it is evidently wireless and the Wii uses bluetooth for it's wireless controllers which means it can be hooked up to PCs. I for one can't wait to play UT3 on m balance board....

That's just it though. This stuff is already compatible with PC. You can go to youtube right now and see videos of people playing PC versions of Half-Life 2, Jedi Knight, and Resident Evil 4 all using the Wiimote (pretty accurate control on that last one too). It's compatible, it's just that Nintendo haven't really chosen to acknowledge that compatiblity yet or do anything with it. Which is a shame, because I'd really like to see a control scheme like this or similar on the PC.

subedii on
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've just had this image of a game in my mind where you control a guy on a flying board wizzing around the sky and you use the zapper to shoot stuff whilst leaning to zip all around.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    MikeRyu wrote: »
    I've just had this image of a game in my mind where you control a guy on a flying board wizzing around the sky and you use the zapper to shoot stuff whilst leaning to zip all around.

Yes! And you could use the stick on the nunchuck to modify your speed!

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    Frosted ButtsFrosted Butts Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If you thought Wiimotes going through people's TV screens was hilarious, wait till the first jackass puts his head through a TV on that balance board.

Frosted Butts on
    lion1si5.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Fireflash wrote: »

Yes! And you could use the stick on the nunchuck to modify your speed!

Yes! There's just so many possibilites.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm imagining a remake of Battlezone.

Couscous on
  • Options
    bhealeybhealey Registered User regular
    edited December 2012

bhealey on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Yet again SCEE got there first. :P

185px-Antigravbox.jpg

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    bhealey wrote: »
    I have to hand it to Nintendo... They really have set themselves apart. Everyone else is all "graphics!" and Nintendo is all "well, we can't beat that, but damnit, we're gonna make this crazy and fun!"

Yeah but what's interesting is what this might lead to in the next generation.

Sony's (Sonys'? Somebody help my grammar please) last-minute abortive attempt with the sixaxis aside, now that Nintendo have shown that the formula works you can bet that the other two are going to be trying for some sort of motion control device to go along with their next-gen graphics.

The next round in the console war ought to be interesting. Of course, technically we're still near the starting line of this one I guess.

subedii on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I have to hand it to Nintendo... They really have set themselves apart. Everyone else is all "graphics!" and Nintendo is all "well, we can't beat that, but damnit, we're gonna make this crazy and fun!"

They could if they wanted to. They just don't want to.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Never saw that antigrav game, does it work well?

Fireflash on
  • Options
    NofrikinfuNNofrikinfuN Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    subedii wrote: »

Sony's (Sonys'? Somebody help my grammar please) last-minute abortive attempt with the sixaxis aside, now that Nintendo have shown that the formula works you can bet that the other two are going to be trying for some sort of motion control device to go along with their next-gen graphics.

The next round in the console war ought to be interesting. Of course, technically we're still near the starting line of this one I guess.

I wonder if the other two will have learned the benefits of pricing within a budget?

NofrikinfuN on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

I wonder if the other two will have learned the benefits of pricing within a budget?

It depends on if all of the management at SCE have been fired. Judging by the current actions of Sony, they will probably decide that the problem was that there wasn't enough shit in the PS3.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

That's a good question. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Of course, they could just do what Nintendo did and for their next generation release console version 1.5 (largely same power, same graphics, updated control and gameplay). By then hardware costs ought to be cheaper as a result of not trying to progress the 'next-gen' graphics curve too far ahead.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind a slowing down of the graphics race now. I think graphics look positively awesome this current generation.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    It depends on if all of the management at SCE have been fired. Judging by the current actions of Sony, they will probably decide that the problem was that there wasn't enough shit in the PS3.
    Can we not turn this into another lolsony thread please? They pump out enough material for three of those per week all on their own....

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sony itself is like, the ultimate lolsony thread.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    titmouse wrote: »
    Can we not turn this into another lolsony thread please? They pump out enough material for three of those per week all on their own....

OK.

I hope Nintendo encourages other developers to at least make a few games that use the board.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Yet again SCEE got there first. :P

Yeah but did it have the awesome power of the Shiggy Board?

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    "Shiggy Board" I like that, it has potential....

Anyway, I will certainly be getting one of these with Wii Fit, maybe two, and I look forward to exploring all the new and innovative uses people come up with for this thing. Like using it as a pressure sensitive two-axis rudder in flight sims....

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    pedal boat simulator

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Curb stomping someone's head in Manhunt.

What? You knew Manhunt would come into it eventually.

subedii on
  • Options
    DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My only problem with Wii Fit is that I can't imagine this beeing fun for a long time
    Heh. Kinda sounds like someone saying, "My only problem with going to the gym is that I can't imagine it being fun for a long time." I think the point of the game is to get better. Same as going to the gym. Except going to the gym is often NOT fun while you're there, but its after you leave that you feel good about it. I have a feeling this will be fun while you're doing it, and since it tracks your progress, it'll be the type of thing that you can do a little of every day. It's not meant to be a 40 fuckin' hour epic.

DigDug2000 on
  • Options
    walnutmonwalnutmon Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Can I chime in here and say... I don't get it.

What is the point of this balance board? Is it entirely for fitness games? What the fuck is a fitness game? Who plays fitness games? To me, Nintendo preaching excercise is in the same category as when McDonalds did the same. I got a 13 hour shift in front of me, all of it sitting in front of this computer. I want to talk Wii Fitness.

walnutmon on
    xbox: jmbizzo | ps3: walnutmon | steam: walnutmon | SC2: walnutmon.591
  • Options
    Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've just watched the conference 2nd half (which sponged out on me the first time).

It's superb. This is huge.

Incredibly huge.

A weight scale that charts my BMI with time on it's own is worth the price of admission. I'm not even joking. A lot of people (based on a sample of my flat) are 20 somethings, who are just starting to realise, shit man we need to start actively taking care of ourselves, a decade of drinking and partying is getting to us a little now.

Now a competitive BMI game with my girlfriend, will keep me in shape, and keep her in shape. (Which is good for me - Nudge nudge.) We'll be able to see each other slip. Or improve.

It's competitive health.

It's sublime.

I really can't get over how good it is.

Yoga, areobics, push ups - are just the icing. It will be great to do those. And you have little rewards for maintaining a routine when your too busy to do proper exercise. But think about it, next time you go through a phase of running, or swimming or whatever - it'll pick up on it.

This will become the basis of my health routine. It's awesome.

Lave II on
  • Options
    CrossfireCrossfire __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    I only wish the board was a little bit bigger. I don't want to have my feet that close together for games that would require the balance board.

Also that shit will get sweaty and nasty.

Crossfire on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Lave II wrote: »
    I've just watched the conference 2nd half (which sponged out on me the first time).

Incredibly huge.

A weight scale that charts my BMI with time on it's own is worth the price of admission. I'm not even joking. A lot of people (based on a sample of my flat) are 20 somethings, who are just starting to realise, shit man we need to start actively taking care of ourselves, a decade of drinking and partying is getting to us a little now.

Now a competitive BMI game with my girlfriend, will keep me in shape, and keep her in shape. (Which is good for me - Nudge nudge.) We'll be able to see each other slip. Or improve.

It's competitive health.

It's sublime.

Yoga, areobics, push ups - are just the icing. It will be great to do those. And you have little rewards for maintaining a routine when your too busy to do proper exercise. But think about it, next time you go through a phase of running, or swimming or whatever - it'll pick up on it.

This will become the basis of my health routine. It's awesome.[Emphasis mine]

That is kind of what I am afraid of... Your health isn't as easy as bounce around for 15 minutes a day. Is it better than nothing? Yes; but not much. Are there infinately better ways to stay in shape than this? Absolutely. If you want competative fitness you can do a jumping jack contest without a Wii. Or better yet, play a game of basketball. Some frisbee. Go for a hike. I just don't understand why the fact that when a Wii tells you to do physical activity it's much better than when I tell you to do physical activity.

I kind of feel like if they came up with "Nintendo Cult: The end is the begining" where you do 15 trackable actions with achievement bonuses before you castrate and kill yourself, it would sell a billion copies.

The only reason that I don't really like this shit is because I know how complicated a good excercise routine is, and I realize I haven't seen the app in action, but I just don't think it is going to be that good for you.

walnutmon on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    walnutmon wrote: »
    Can I chime in here and say... I don't get it.

1) What is the point of this balance board? 2) Is it entirely for fitness games? 3) What the fuck is a fitness game? 4) Who plays fitness games? 5) To me, Nintendo preaching excercise is in the same category as when McDonalds did the same. 6) I got a 13 hour shift in front of me, all of it sitting in front of this computer. 7) I want to talk Wii Fitness.

You're a retard.

Nce to meet you. I'll answer your questions/comments.

1) To make this fitness game possible.
    2) Yes. It's entirely for 1 fitness game. If it gets extended to other games - thats great. But lets wait and see.
    3) It's appears to be a method, of both encouraging, and maintain a healthy amount of exercise, via a variety of games and activities, that are both entertaining and productive. It's a step in between exercising on your own to a DVD or Book, and having your own Coach.
    4) Pretty soon approximatly 1 bajillion people. Mark my words. And at minimium me and my GF.
    5) See this annoys me for wider reasons.

Take music. We all love music. But for a 11 year old girl it might be Ashely Simpson, for my Dad Elvis or my Boss Bach.
    Same with Movies, Rom-coms, Documentaries, Thrillers and so on. So heaven forbid nintendo might extend the medium of games wide enough that they could be considered on par with them.

Your narrow minded enough to see that "Gaming" is like a Fast Food Resteraunt, where Nintendo see gaming to be like a Mitchlem Star Resteraunt, An all night Deli, A Full English Breakfast, a Farmers market and a fucking Mc Donalds.

6) I'm here for at least 4 hrs.

7) So lets do this.

Lave II on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Incredibly huge.

It's competitive health.

It's sublime.

Yoga, areobics, push ups - are just the icing. It will be great to do those. And you have little rewards for maintaining a routine when your too busy to do proper exercise. But think about it, next time you go through a phase of running, or swimming or whatever - it'll pick up on it. (You missed this bit)

This will become the basis of my health routine. It's awesome.[Emphasis mine]

That is kind of what I am afraid of... Your health isn't as easy as bounce around for 15 minutes a day. Is it better than nothing? Yes; but not much. Are there infinately better ways to stay in shape than this? Absolutely. If you want competative fitness you can do a jumping jack contest without a Wii. Or better yet, play a game of basketball. Some frisbee. Go for a hike. I just don't understand why the fact that when a Wii tells you to do physical activity it's much better than when I tell you to do physical activity.

I kind of feel like if they came up with "Nintendo Cult: The end is the begining" where you do 15 trackable actions with achievement bonuses before you castrate and kill yourself, it would sell a billion copies.

The only reason that I don't really like this shit is because I know how complicated a good excercise routine is, and I realize I haven't seen the app in action, but I just don't think it is going to be that good for you.

I came acrross a little harsh in the last post. Sorry about that.

But man, either you didn't read my post, or you did it on purpose. I agree with you. It's not proper exercise. But it does chart you health. In that way it will be the basis of my health, rather than the rather shitty weight mesurements I jot in the back of my moleskin.

I don't mean it will be my actual exercise routine.

Lave II on
  • Options
    RonnieWooWoo!RonnieWooWoo! Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    God F'ing dammit Nintendo. MAKE GAMES. I'm sick of this "educational software" bullshit. I don't buy consoles to take IQ tests, play minigames, or work out.

RonnieWooWoo! on
    Woo!
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    God F'ing dammit Nintendo. MAKE GAMES. I'm sick of this "educational software" bullshit. I don't buy consoles to take IQ tests, play minigames, or work out.

They are making games.

Couscous on
  • Options
    thunderclumpthunderclump Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

SMASH BROTHERS METROID PRIME MARIO KART MARIO GALAXY ALL CANCELLED

NINTENDO TO ONLY MANUFACTURE MOTION SENSING DUMBBELLS

thunderclump on
    421629-1.png
  • Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

NEWS AT 11

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Dude's I wanted to see Die Hard 4 and Spider Man 3 this xmas, but it turns out all they make these days it's fucking rom-coms, that a fucking documentaries about American Hospitals. Jesus. They've abandoned me.

FUCK YOU PARAMOUNT, FUCK YOU SONY, MAKE ONLY ONE GENRE OF FILM PLEASE. KTHNX BYE>

Lave II on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Sure it probably won't turn you into the next Mr/Ms Fitness, but it might get people that do 0 physical activities to do at least a little something, while being entertained, having a goal and seeing themselves progress towards that goal.

For example that programmer/gamer that spends a lot of time at work sitting in front of a pc. Because of all the overtime he does, he might not have that much free time. He most likely prefers using that free time by playing games than lifting weights at the gym. So now maybe a part of that gaming time could be invested in playing a bit of WiiFit. He gets to do a little exercise while entertaining himself.

Doing a little exercise is already a big improvement over doing none at all.

Fireflash on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Where can I watch the conference anyway? All the games just have left over links to live feeds that don't really exist anymore.

Rami on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    At gamespot you can stream it, or download it.

And fireflash is spot on.

Lave II on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

But man, either you didn't read my post, or you did it on purpose. I agree with you. It's not proper exercise. But it does chart you health. In that way it will be the basis of my health, rather than the rather shitty weight mesurements I jot in the back of my moleskin.

No biggie. I just think Nintendo is getting awfully cocky. They getting into health games?! There are going to be a bunch of out of shape people thinking that they are excercising properly, but without a decent emphasis on other branches of health it is very easy to do more physical damage than good.

They may do it right, and I will give them that I do not really know yet. But a health game that isn't conscious of any possible dangers of excersise could turn into a class action lawsuit. Gyms have insurance to that kind of thing, I doubt that Nintendo does.

walnutmon on
  • Options
    squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Dude's I wanted to see Die Hard 4 and Spider Man 3 this xmas, but it turns out all they make these days it's fucking rom-coms, that a fucking documentaries about American Hospitals. Jesus. They've abandoned me.

FUCK YOU PARAMOUNT, FUCK YOU SONY, MAKE ONLY ONE GENRE OF FILM PLEASE. KTHNX BYE>
    Err, wouldn't a better analogy/comparison be him complaining about documentaries and only wantng action/comedy/thriller/horror/etc?

I think this whole board thing is pretty meh, personally, in fact, I think it's pretty lame/horrible but for the 7 casual gamers and 2 hardcore Nintendo fans who buy it (Okay, lots more will buy it but I'm somewhat making a point with the small #s) I'm sure they'll have a lot of fun before they push it aside and it collects dust.

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • Options
    edited July 2007

No biggie. I just think Nintendo is getting awfully cocky. They getting into health games?! There are going to be a bunch of out of shape people thinking that they are excercising properly, but without a decent emphasis on other branches of health it is very easy to do more physical damage than good.

They may do it right, and I will give them that I do not really know yet. But a health game that isn't conscious of any possible dangers of excersise could turn into a class action lawsuit. Gyms have insurance to that kind of thing, I doubt that Nintendo does.

Being needlessly Xenophobic for a second, are you American? Because here in Europe almost no one would give a shit about that, but that keeps coming up from you guys (I think at least). If people injure themselves during it - it's their own fault.

On top of that I'm sure Nintendo will have thought through all "being sued" angles.

But seriously this "lawsuit mentality" of the states spoils everyones fun. And will dumb it down to avoid injuries.

If a person can't look after their own body, and can't follow instructions, they don't deserve to be able to sue anyone about it.

Lave II on