Options

Why Is There No Wii Fit Thread?

12346»

Posts

  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    BMI isn't bad. It's better than just listing your weight. It just isn't accurate with people who have a lot of muscle instead of fat. For the average Joe, BMI is just fine.

    Taya on
  • Options
    walnutmonwalnutmon Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Evander wrote: »
    walnutmon wrote: »
    Fireflash wrote: »
    tbloxham wrote: »
    You do realize that to get any impact out of the level of effort you could put in on this thing without breaking it you'd need to do maybe 2-3 hours on it a day right? And boasting that it calculates BMI and logs exercise for you? Ive got a suggestion for you, tape measure, scales and Excel. You want to compete with someone? Get your buddy and go to the gym for 60 minutes of cardio. That'll do you more good than a whole week of using this thing.

    Doing cardio at the gym is fucking boring. Yeah you feel good afterwards, but the process is one of the most boring things in the world.

    This game tries to combine light exercise with multimedia entertainment. Try to get that through your thick skull instead of showing us that you are completely missing the point.

    Don't flame someone who says something that is true.

    Those who don't like this idea do get what they are doing. That is why it is stupid. You don't make real excercise fun with a stupid fucking pad that you jump around on. If you are going to get some fitness, you will be breathing too hard to enjoy the faggoty little Wii animations. But you won't be, you will be bouncing around like a fairy with man tit's a jiggling for 20 minutes until you go and play an "easier" game.

    The point is this. If you want to get in shape, it isn't easy, and it isn't pure fun (except playing sports, for some of us). It is hard, it requires some dedication, and it can't be solved by some stupid fucking game on the Wii. I was being nice about it, but I don't care any more, since when you are saying we are thick skulled, we are just trying to help anyone who gives a shit about their fucking body. You dont' have to go the gym either(although I also go to the gym, and it works a lot better, and what I do isn't boring). Next time while playing a real game, use the loading screens or natural pauses to do some squat thrusts, and do them hard! The constant raising and lowering of your HR will burn a lot of fat, calories and help your heart. BUT make sure that you stretch and take care of you body otherwise. Nothing short of playing in the NBA is going to make up for 5 cans of pepsi, 15 beers and McDonalds every day.

    I don't care how long you play Wii Fit, unless there is a side game that says "now put down the controler, go to the gym, sign up, lift some weights, eat some chicken and veggies and stop drinking your coffee with 8 pounds of fucking sugar!" the only muscle getting worked is the one responsible for keeping Japanese business men's ass above their god damn knees with all your fucking money in their pocket.

    This game is to Japan, as chinese food is to China. It is an asian country without a weight problem throwing shit at Americans because they think we are just fat losers and expecting us to scarf it up; I just wish we would stop rolling in it, like their fucking little WiiDoggies, and prove to them that we are just not that stupid.

    Yeah, um, just because your life sucks doesn't mean it's cool for you to come in and shit all over my thread.

    You aren't interested in the game. That's cool.

    You want to point out that it won't give a real work-out? That's valid.

    You want to know why people want the game? We'll be happy to oblige with answers.

    You want to declare that our reasons aren't good enough and go on a homophobic anti-Nintendo rant? Yeah, this is when you start shitting in my thread. This is when I stop being so cool with you.



    Just knock it off, man. Just because you claim to know about fitness doesn't mean that everyone needs to shut up and listen to you, because you are always right. Don't take out your frustration on us. I know that having 13 hour work day sucks; I pulled twelve hours today myself, most of it litterally copying and pasting in excell. 12 hours of that would drive ANYONE mad.



    But quit your trolling. You've made your point, and people have chosen not to care. They're allowed to. Quit repeating yourself.

    I have stated that I think it is a stupid idea... And every single response to that has been... "But dude! I'm not fat, and i'm going to play it because it sounds like FUN."

    It doesn't sound like fun. It sounds crappy. Go outside and have a nice run through the park, play some roller hockey, go find someone to box and beat some sense in to you. I can't believe that I am alone in thinking this is stupid. I played a Wii for the first time this weekend, the Wii boxing, and I think I will pick one up along with my girlfriend because it's something that we can both play and it's dirt cheap... but if I ever start thinking "Wii Fit" sounds like a good idea, i'll do you all the favor of killing myself.

    EDIT: And for someone who thinks I am a troll, I couldn't help but notice your post started with a "your life sucks" comment.... Why can't I think something is stupid, utterly useless, and marketed to Nintendo lemmings without being a troll? If you think the Wii Fit is awesome, good for you, I think it is retarded. Let me know what is awesome about an excercise program that, due to the complicated matter of fitness is probably not going be very effective. My problem isn't with the theory of getting fatsos moving, but I find something kind of sad about the idea of thousands of pepsi drinking nerds dancing around in their room alone on an 80 dollar board.

    walnutmon on
    xbox: jmbizzo | ps3: walnutmon | steam: walnutmon | SC2: walnutmon.591
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    walnutmon wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »
    walnutmon wrote: »
    Fireflash wrote: »
    tbloxham wrote: »
    You do realize that to get any impact out of the level of effort you could put in on this thing without breaking it you'd need to do maybe 2-3 hours on it a day right? And boasting that it calculates BMI and logs exercise for you? Ive got a suggestion for you, tape measure, scales and Excel. You want to compete with someone? Get your buddy and go to the gym for 60 minutes of cardio. That'll do you more good than a whole week of using this thing.

    Doing cardio at the gym is fucking boring. Yeah you feel good afterwards, but the process is one of the most boring things in the world.

    This game tries to combine light exercise with multimedia entertainment. Try to get that through your thick skull instead of showing us that you are completely missing the point.

    Don't flame someone who says something that is true.

    Those who don't like this idea do get what they are doing. That is why it is stupid. You don't make real excercise fun with a stupid fucking pad that you jump around on. If you are going to get some fitness, you will be breathing too hard to enjoy the faggoty little Wii animations. But you won't be, you will be bouncing around like a fairy with man tit's a jiggling for 20 minutes until you go and play an "easier" game.

    The point is this. If you want to get in shape, it isn't easy, and it isn't pure fun (except playing sports, for some of us). It is hard, it requires some dedication, and it can't be solved by some stupid fucking game on the Wii. I was being nice about it, but I don't care any more, since when you are saying we are thick skulled, we are just trying to help anyone who gives a shit about their fucking body. You dont' have to go the gym either(although I also go to the gym, and it works a lot better, and what I do isn't boring). Next time while playing a real game, use the loading screens or natural pauses to do some squat thrusts, and do them hard! The constant raising and lowering of your HR will burn a lot of fat, calories and help your heart. BUT make sure that you stretch and take care of you body otherwise. Nothing short of playing in the NBA is going to make up for 5 cans of pepsi, 15 beers and McDonalds every day.

    I don't care how long you play Wii Fit, unless there is a side game that says "now put down the controler, go to the gym, sign up, lift some weights, eat some chicken and veggies and stop drinking your coffee with 8 pounds of fucking sugar!" the only muscle getting worked is the one responsible for keeping Japanese business men's ass above their god damn knees with all your fucking money in their pocket.

    This game is to Japan, as chinese food is to China. It is an asian country without a weight problem throwing shit at Americans because they think we are just fat losers and expecting us to scarf it up; I just wish we would stop rolling in it, like their fucking little WiiDoggies, and prove to them that we are just not that stupid.

    Yeah, um, just because your life sucks doesn't mean it's cool for you to come in and shit all over my thread.

    You aren't interested in the game. That's cool.

    You want to point out that it won't give a real work-out? That's valid.

    You want to know why people want the game? We'll be happy to oblige with answers.

    You want to declare that our reasons aren't good enough and go on a homophobic anti-Nintendo rant? Yeah, this is when you start shitting in my thread. This is when I stop being so cool with you.



    Just knock it off, man. Just because you claim to know about fitness doesn't mean that everyone needs to shut up and listen to you, because you are always right. Don't take out your frustration on us. I know that having 13 hour work day sucks; I pulled twelve hours today myself, most of it litterally copying and pasting in excell. 12 hours of that would drive ANYONE mad.



    But quit your trolling. You've made your point, and people have chosen not to care. They're allowed to. Quit repeating yourself.

    I have stated that I think it is a stupid idea... And every single response to that has been... "But dude! I'm not fat, and i'm going to play it because it sounds like FUN."

    It doesn't sound like fun. It sounds crappy. Go outside and have a nice run through the park, play some roller hockey, go find someone to box and beat some sense in to you. I can't believe that I am alone in thinking this is stupid. I played a Wii for the first time this weekend, the Wii boxing, and I think I will pick one up along with my girlfriend because it's something that we can both play and it's dirt cheap... but if I ever start thinking "Wii Fit" sounds like a good idea, i'll do you all the favor of killing myself.

    Some people are simply Fitness Nuts. I don't understand it, but it's true nonetheless. My girlfriend works for an exercise bike company. Trust me, people are drinking the Kool Aid. They go to conventions and everything, and these people are already in shape.

    Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    walnutmon wrote: »
    I have stated that I think it is a stupid idea... And every single response to that has been... "But dude! I'm not fat, and i'm going to play it because it sounds like FUN."

    The accomplishment and sense of achievement as well as that feeling of success is what's fun. Akin to my occasional urge to do as many pushups/squats/whatever for fun. The actual action isn't fun but that feeling of "holy shit I am so fucking bad ass" as well as the euphoria you get from a lot of exercise is.

    Leitner on
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I had a gym membership that just expired. I don't mind working out but actually packing up a bag, driving to the gym, signing in, locking up my stuff etc etc is what keeps me from going. It's too much of a hassle. I have some light weights at home but I'm not motivated to use them. I think Wii Fit is ideal for me because I don't have to spend twenty minutes preparing to do my workout and it's more motivating than doing three sets of twelve reps of bicep curls etc.

    I don't expect to Wii Fit to replace my cardio and my two-hour walks though.

    Taya on
  • Options
    walnutmonwalnutmon Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Taya wrote: »
    I had a gym membership that just expired. I don't mind working out but actually packing up a bag, driving to the gym, signing in, locking up my stuff etc etc is what keeps me from going. It's too much of a hassle. I have some light weights at home but I'm not motivated to use them. I think Wii Fit is ideal for me because I don't have to spend twenty minutes preparing to do my workout and it's more motivating than doing three sets of twelve reps of bicep curls etc.

    I don't expect to Wii Fit to replace my cardio and my two-hour walks though.

    That is kind of my point though... It may be easier than going to the gym, or less of a hassle, but it is also not going to be as good for you. It also is going to be rather expensive, and honestly, twelve reps of light bicep curls isn't going to do much for you either. A two hour walk is actually pretty good for burning fat directly, and cardio is just a good thing to do anyways, but I think it takes a pretty simplistic view to want a nintendo system to tell you to do cardio and then weigh you. It's just not neccessary.

    The people this will do something, though very little, for is people who are completely out of shape, but I am pretty sure that they will tire of this game fairly quickly.

    I do understand why people don't like going to the gym, it can be a hassle, but I do it three times a week, and have a good routine... I am in and out in 45 minutes and the drive is only 5 minutes... I shower at home. I also eat well, but none of that stuff was easy at first, it requires some thought and some study. A lot of things about fitness are not obvious, and I doubt that the Wii will change that. For example: if you do cardio and raise your heart rate about a certain level, you will actually be burning muscle NOT fat.

    Now, I am assuming that the Wii Fit will be somewhat simple, and that is why I think it will be a waste of money... It is possible that it is far beyond what I imagine it, but if it is, most people will be like... this is a hassle!

    Here: save your 80 bucks, eat 6 small meals a day, do 10 minutes of jump roping mon, wed, fri... tues thurs do several weight lifting complexes (several weight excercises one after another), and take the weekends off, or go running or soemthing like that. Take fish oil every day with a meal. Get most carbs from fruits and veggies. Eat more carbs in the morning with less fat, eat more protein and fat at night with NO carbs. Avoid softdrinks, and high sugar + high fat foods (pastries, donuts, candy bars). Do that, and I guarantee everyone here will lose fat and gain muscle, then you can go step on your friends Wii fit board every week and feel like a badass because you didn't spend any extra money and didn't go to the gym and outgain them every week!

    walnutmon on
    xbox: jmbizzo | ps3: walnutmon | steam: walnutmon | SC2: walnutmon.591
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Three sets of light weights on each of your main muscles will do plenty! I'm not trying to lose fifty lbs or train for the Olympics, I just want to increase my fitness level. I think Wii Fit will be great for anyone who has the willpower to stick with it and the people who don't have the willpower won't be able to eat less and start a better fitness program anyway.

    edit: basically, some people are not able to make a huge lifestyle change all at once. Playing Wii Sports is a good step towards finally changing your lifestyle for the better.

    Taya on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    walnutmon wrote: »
    twelve reps of light bicep curls isn't going to do much for you either.

    You can do just as well as the standard guy/girl who goes to the gym with weights at home and other home related exercises. Apart from that I strongly agree with your post.

    Leitner on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    walnutmon wrote: »
    Here: save your 80 bucks, eat 6 small meals a day, do 10 minutes of jump roping mon, wed, fri... tues thurs do several weight lifting complexes (several weight excercises one after another), and take the weekends off, or go running or soemthing like that. Take fish oil every day with a meal. Get most carbs from fruits and veggies. Eat more carbs in the morning with less fat, eat more protein and fat at night with NO carbs. Avoid softdrinks, and high sugar + high fat foods (pastries, donuts, candy bars). Do that, and I guarantee everyone here will lose fat and gain muscle, then you can go step on your friends Wii fit board every week and feel like a badass because you didn't spend any extra money and didn't go to the gym and outgain them every week!

    Wii Fit sounds fun. This does not.

    Djiem on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Djiem wrote: »
    walnutmon wrote: »
    Here: save your 80 bucks, eat 6 small meals a day, do 10 minutes of jump roping mon, wed, fri... tues thurs do several weight lifting complexes (several weight excercises one after another), and take the weekends off, or go running or soemthing like that. Take fish oil every day with a meal. Get most carbs from fruits and veggies. Eat more carbs in the morning with less fat, eat more protein and fat at night with NO carbs. Avoid softdrinks, and high sugar + high fat foods (pastries, donuts, candy bars). Do that, and I guarantee everyone here will lose fat and gain muscle, then you can go step on your friends Wii fit board every week and feel like a badass because you didn't spend any extra money and didn't go to the gym and outgain them every week!

    Wii Fit sounds fun. This does not.

    I don't know. I'm kind of a gym rat. I love working out.

    Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Djiem wrote: »
    walnutmon wrote: »
    Here: save your 80 bucks, eat 6 small meals a day, do 10 minutes of jump roping mon, wed, fri... tues thurs do several weight lifting complexes (several weight excercises one after another), and take the weekends off, or go running or soemthing like that. Take fish oil every day with a meal. Get most carbs from fruits and veggies. Eat more carbs in the morning with less fat, eat more protein and fat at night with NO carbs. Avoid softdrinks, and high sugar + high fat foods (pastries, donuts, candy bars). Do that, and I guarantee everyone here will lose fat and gain muscle, then you can go step on your friends Wii fit board every week and feel like a badass because you didn't spend any extra money and didn't go to the gym and outgain them every week!

    Wii Fit sounds fun. This does not.

    I don't know. I'm kind of a gym rat. I love working out.

    Well, yeah, ok. But I'm speaking for myself: I am genuinely interested in Wii Fit, it DOES sound like fun to me, but I hate working out and taking care of my diet.

    Djiem on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Why don't you guys go play REAL football instead of playing Madden? Not enough players? What are you a social retard, go out and get some friends. You're not REALLY learning how play football by playing Madden.
    You want to grab a mushroom and save princess peach? Well I know a guy...

    agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    agoaj wrote: »
    Why don't you guys go play REAL football instead of playing Madden? Not enough players? What are you a social retard, go out and get some friends. You're not REALLY learning how play football by playing Madden.
    You want to grab a mushroom and save princess peach? Well I know a guy...

    Why don't you go kill real people instead of playing GTA? You're CERTAINLY not learning how to use a gun with that game! D:

    Djiem on
  • Options
    RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    walnutmon wrote: »
    Taya wrote: »
    I had a gym membership that just expired. I don't mind working out but actually packing up a bag, driving to the gym, signing in, locking up my stuff etc etc is what keeps me from going. It's too much of a hassle. I have some light weights at home but I'm not motivated to use them. I think Wii Fit is ideal for me because I don't have to spend twenty minutes preparing to do my workout and it's more motivating than doing three sets of twelve reps of bicep curls etc.

    I don't expect to Wii Fit to replace my cardio and my two-hour walks though.

    That is kind of my point though... It may be easier than going to the gym, or less of a hassle, but it is also not going to be as good for you. It also is going to be rather expensive, and honestly, twelve reps of light bicep curls isn't going to do much for you either. A two hour walk is actually pretty good for burning fat directly, and cardio is just a good thing to do anyways, but I think it takes a pretty simplistic view to want a nintendo system to tell you to do cardio and then weigh you. It's just not neccessary.

    The people this will do something, though very little, for is people who are completely out of shape, but I am pretty sure that they will tire of this game fairly quickly.

    I do understand why people don't like going to the gym, it can be a hassle, but I do it three times a week, and have a good routine... I am in and out in 45 minutes and the drive is only 5 minutes... I shower at home. I also eat well, but none of that stuff was easy at first, it requires some thought and some study. A lot of things about fitness are not obvious, and I doubt that the Wii will change that. For example: if you do cardio and raise your heart rate about a certain level, you will actually be burning muscle NOT fat.

    Now, I am assuming that the Wii Fit will be somewhat simple, and that is why I think it will be a waste of money... It is possible that it is far beyond what I imagine it, but if it is, most people will be like... this is a hassle!

    Here: save your 80 bucks, eat 6 small meals a day, do 10 minutes of jump roping mon, wed, fri... tues thurs do several weight lifting complexes (several weight excercises one after another), and take the weekends off, or go running or soemthing like that. Take fish oil every day with a meal. Get most carbs from fruits and veggies. Eat more carbs in the morning with less fat, eat more protein and fat at night with NO carbs. Avoid softdrinks, and high sugar + high fat foods (pastries, donuts, candy bars). Do that, and I guarantee everyone here will lose fat and gain muscle, then you can go step on your friends Wii fit board every week and feel like a badass because you didn't spend any extra money and didn't go to the gym and outgain them every week!

    You're missing a lot of the point, which is to say, you're missing the value of WiiFit: feedback.

    The point of the balance board is to detect, using sensors and your center of gravity, whether or not you're doing the exercises correctly. 9/10 people doing exercises aren't getting the maximum effect out of them because they're not doing it correctly. Most of those people won't ask for help or can't afford a trainer to teach them.

    The feedback of the balance board allows the game to detect how correctly you're doing the exercise, hence the focus on yoga type exercises. That kind of feedback, to your average Joe, is invaluable because it will allow them to feel what a real workout is like and better focus on the exercise. In making sure that he's doing it correctly according to the program, average Joe will be better utilizing the proper muscle groups for that exercise, thus getting better results.

    Is it going to whip the entirety of America into shape? Of course not. But WiiFit has the ability to be a "gateway exercise": it allows people to try kinds of exercise they wouldn't normally give a chance. As someone who's done martial arts since he was six and in recent years took up some mild strength training, I'm really excited to be able to give some basic yoga stances a try and to have confirmation that I'm doing it correctly. And guess what? It will still probably cost less than taking the classes.

    Anyway, don't buy it. It's clearly not for you. I'm not looking to it to change my life, but I want to give it a chance to see what it has to offer.

    Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

    or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Is it officially 80 bucks?

    agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    agoaj wrote: »
    Is it officially 80 bucks?

    Nope, no official price yet.

    bruin on
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I feel like I should also point out that the types of exercises in Wii Fit consist of a lot of "core" workouts.

    Perfect for getting that metabolism going and cutting down the flab :P.

    Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm actually looking foward to this. In the past few months I lost 35 pounds through cardio, but with school starting again, I'm going to have to lessen my work out routines, and find ways to keep me motivated. I think this would probably help me out.

    Kyougu on
Sign In or Register to comment.