As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

HOSTS files and IE7

RohaqRohaq UKRegistered User regular
edited July 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So I need to block a few specific sites on my machine. Normally I'd just use a HOSTS file to point their domains to 127.0.0.1, however it appears that Microsoft, through some fit of lunacy, decided to break HOSTS in IE7: Now the blocks I've put into place work in everything, except for IE7, which was the program I wanted to block in the first place :(

Can anyone offer any advice to making HOSTS stick in IE7? This has annoyed me muchly :(

Rohaq on

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Rohaq wrote: »
    So I need to block a few specific sites on my machine. Normally I'd just use a HOSTS file to point their domains to 127.0.0.1, however it appears that Microsoft, through some fit of lunacy, decided to break HOSTS in IE7: Now the blocks I've put into place work in everything, except for IE7, which was the program I wanted to block in the first place :(

Can anyone offer any advice to making HOSTS stick in IE7? This has annoyed me muchly :(

Huh? HOSTS operates at the system level.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yeah? Well then go ahead and prove me wrong ;-)

Meaning I've tested this already, and can confirm that HOSTS has no affect on IE7 any more.

Rohaq on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

IE7 broke it.

Unfortunately, I do not have an answer for you, Rohaq. Perhaps you block the offending sites via a software firewall or in your router.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Feral wrote: »

IE7 broke it.

Unfortunately, I do not have an answer for you, Rohaq. Perhaps you block the offending sites via a software firewall or in your router.

That (rather paranoid and ranty) page is about a system-wide bypassing of the hosts file for specific URLs. Rohaq's problem is that specifically IE7 is ignoring the hosts file for all URLs. I advise using OpenDNS. If you associate an account with an IP address, they'll allow you to block hosts at the DNS level.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    jmillikin wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »

IE7 broke it.

That (rather paranoid and ranty) page is about a system-wide bypassing of the hosts file for specific URLs. Rohaq's problem is that specifically IE7 is ignoring the hosts file for all URLs. I advise using OpenDNS. If you associate an account with an IP address, they'll allow you to block hosts at the DNS level.

I'd rather not use OpenDNS, as I'd like the ability to add and remove the block from the machine itself, as well as use HOSTS for website testing purposes. I already have a few VBS scripts assigned to hotkeys that I custom made in order to do this, and logging in and out of OpenDNS to do this is a pain.

Rohaq on
  • Options
    blincolnblincoln Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Are you using a proxy server with IE7 and not the other browsers? That's the only thing I can think of that would cause behaviour like this. When you use a proxy, you basically hand off DNS resolution to the proxy.

blincoln on
    Legacy of Kain: The Lost Worlds
    http://www.thelostworlds.net/
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    blincoln wrote: »
    Are you using a proxy server with IE7 and not the other browsers? That's the only thing I can think of that would cause behaviour like this. When you use a proxy, you basically hand off DNS resolution to the proxy.
    No. This is an IE7-only 'feature'. It's not some magical misconfiguration.

Rohaq on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Hmm, it looks like IE7 must cache the HOSTS on startup or something: One full reboot, and it's taking effect.

Solved, go forth and close, mod-people.

Rohaq on
  • Options
    Ramen NoodleRamen Noodle whoa, god has a picture of me! Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I never knew about OpenDNS. I think I'll set it up on my network as my mom's really prone to virii and the like.

Ramen Noodle on