As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Off to class...

2»

• Options
    -smash-smash Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Man, I'd rather write an algorithm to allocate free space on a filesystem than write a single short story.

You could write a short story about an algorithm to allocate free space on filesystems.

-smash on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    to each his own

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    IHasABucketIHasABucket Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    bsjezz wrote: »
    to each his own

IHasABucket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    well when you take my words out of context like that i just look daft don't i

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    bsjezz wrote: »
    i just look daft don't i

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    my summer's almost over, finals week this week

as usual I am studying my ass off and also working 35 hours a week

blargh

Raneados on
  • Options
    IHasABucketIHasABucket Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    No bsjezz I was about to add "to each his own" at the bottom of my post but then got lazy and didn't.

I do agree with you though. I need someone to write me books, screenplays, etc. to entertain me in my free time... just like you need me to make sure your intarwebs stay in order.

IHasABucket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Raneados wrote: »
    my summer's almost over, finals week this week

as usual I am studying my ass off and also working 35 hours a week

blargh

Good point you're slacking off.
    Draw more art for us.

>;3

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    wombatwombat __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    rane it seems like you're always in some state of not studying

wombat on
    siggy2.jpg
    Vote for my film! (watching it is also an option)
    wii friend code: 7623 9955 2119 1775
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    neville wrote: »
    I'm starting at Digipen in September.
    Huzzah!

Have fun spending years and years learning how not to make games.

Unless things have changed since I looked.

I dunno, look at whatever current "senior projects" they have up...see how many are actually playable games.

EDIT: A few years ago, that number was "zero."

EDIT: That is, if you don't count projects which were basically Quake 2 "mods" where the "mod" was just that they changed some of the in-game art assets.

Defender on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wasnt Portal made by Digipen graduates?

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Wasnt Portal made by Digipen graduates?

No idea. Could've been. Why not? Some graduates of those programs do go on to do, you know, stuff. I've worked with some (well, Full Sail, not Digipen), and they're good. But the majority of them don't, apparently. According to people I've talked to who have been there.

What I'm saying is that if you were going to get into games, you were going to get into games anyway. If you weren't, you weren't. Going to Digipen doesn't change your fate, you may as well just get a standard CS degree, which affords you a more respectable university name and usually a little bit of a humanities education as well, so you can have normal conversations with non-gamers.

Defender on
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    'i want to make games but i dont want to work hard'

Zoolander on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Zoolander wrote: »

Yeah, that could easily be part of the problem. It could simply be that people who like to PLAY games go to Digipen with the expectation that they just need to tighten up the graffix on level with a fucking controller and then they'll be big-time game design heroes by about the 15-year mark in a career that's just fun fun fun all the time. And then those people finish school and then OH HEY IT'S NOT ACTUALLY JUST STRAIGHT-UP FUN, it's actually really, really hard work and the pay is less than you'd make at a boring job like, say, Bank Database Guy.

Defender on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    I think Dr. Dizaster attended Digipen for like a semester or something.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Dynagrip wrote: »

Oh I thought he, like...taught courses there or something.

Defender on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Defender wrote: »
    Dynagrip wrote: »

Oh I thought he, like...taught courses there or something.
    I am fairly certain that is not the case. He would have stated such a thing when I called him a Digipen dropout. Plus he was really stoked about getting a play-tester type position with Blizzard, so yeah. But hey, who knows, maybe he's tearing it up in the game design world now.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    this is the first summer I've decided not to take summer classes in college. and it is fucking awesome.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    god. my brother wants to go to digipen really bad. he is a junior in high school and all he does is play games and read about the gaming industry. but he doesn't know shit from balls about computers. just last night i had to walk him through how to print screen and paste in Paint. and then how to send a file over AIM. I really want to encourage him because he is my brother and everything, and this is like the one thing in his life he doesn't treat with apathy. but man...he had trouble with copy/paste.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    oh god Im doing research for hippies right now

this internship SUCKS

wombat on
    siggy2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    are you looking up how to make the most flippin bong, man?

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Nogs wrote: »
    god. my brother wants to go to digipen really bad. he is a junior in high school and all he does is play games and read about the gaming industry. but he doesn't know shit from balls about computers. just last night i had to walk him through how to print screen and paste in Paint. and then how to send a file over AIM. I really want to encourage him because he is my brother and everything, and this is like the one thing in his life he doesn't treat with apathy. but man...he had trouble with copy/paste.

Tell him to CREATE something. It doesn't have to be a 3D game with projected lights and shadows and normal maps and skeletal animation and an integrated physics system and advanced AI and a progressive-load system and LAN/Internet play. It can be a cool single-player Starcraft or Warcraft map. It can be a good deathmatch level in some FPS. It can be an engine that runs little text-based games, like Zork. It can be a replacement character model for Jedi Knight or Unreal Tournament.

Working in games is all about creating things...and also not abandoning what you start until it's at least usable.

If he has no talent and isn't willing to work, he shouldn't even consider going into gaming.

And again, he should probably get a regular CS degree anyway. If he's really passionate about gaming, he'll do his school work and THEN work on his gaming hobby-project and THEN play games. In that order.

Defender on
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Gotta start somewhere.

Remember when schools didn't have video game related programs?

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Also, you can get into the game industry without being part of the game-making process.

Hell, the promotion budgets for big games is pretty close to the production budgets

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Ive always wanted to become a Game Designer. you know, the guy who just comes up with the ideas? but Im no good at computer science, really. from waht Ive read and heard, getting a CS degree is pretty much the way to get your foot in the door for the games industry.

wombat on
    siggy2.jpg
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Defender wrote: »
    Zoolander wrote: »

Yeah, that could easily be part of the problem. It could simply be that people who like to PLAY games go to Digipen with the expectation that they just need to tighten up the graffix on level with a fucking controller and then they'll be big-time game design heroes by about the 15-year mark in a career that's just fun fun fun all the time. And then those people finish school and then OH HEY IT'S NOT ACTUALLY JUST STRAIGHT-UP FUN, it's actually really, really hard work and the pay is less than you'd make at a boring job like, say, Bank Database Guy.

Fortunately I've been to school for Comp Sci before and know several of the professors there.
    I'm not a kid right out of HS, I'm going there for a kick-my-ass education, not to goof off. There are definitely people who go there thinking "hurf durf I'll play games lol", but that's not me.

I'm also not going into games for the money, clearly. But to clarify, you're right. A lot of kids/people go into it (or Full Sail or the other programs) not knowing what they are getting into.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png