As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Is Enchanted Arms worth $20?

2»

• EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    jclast wrote: »
    If you never had a PS2 and love SRPGs I'd look for a copy of Disgaea or Disgaea 2. It'll keep you busy for a good long time. It's more expensive, but the Item World will consume you. And the extra stuff you can obtain in either game - especially for a fan of SRPGs - will be worth the extra price.

I think 2 is still going for $40.

I just bought both online for $90 total, including shipping (to Canada). It's a nice alternative if you can't find the first one at retail (which I couldn't).

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Daybreak wrote: »
    I'd say theres a difference between "I didn't enjoy watching that" and "that stripped the game of any redeeming value"

Well, I think he meant that was the tipping point. As in, up until that point it was shit, and then it became shitter than shit. It was shit.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Daybreak wrote: »
    I'd say theres a difference between "I didn't enjoy watching that" and "that stripped the game of any redeeming value"

The ending of the game being that did "strip any redeeming value" for me. I finished the game only because my wife was interested in watching the story, and I was hoping for a good ending. It did not deliver, therefore all value of the game was lost to me.

Samphis on
  • Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Nobody cares if you don't enjoy seeing men kiss each other, but that doesn't strip the game of any redeeming value nor is it a viable fault of the game.

Get over it, dude. :/

Zephyr_Fate on
  • CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Nobody cares if you don't enjoy seeing men kiss each other, but that doesn't strip the game of any redeeming value nor is it a viable fault of the game.

Get over it, dude. :/

Did you guys read his post? I think he was more annoyed by the context of the kiss, that being the main character held down so that the kiss could forcibly occur. From the sounds of it, it wasn't romantic or consensual, just kind of awkward and weird. It would be like having a game where a bunch of guys hold a woman down so another guy can kiss her against her will.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    But, see, that's different than his very first post at the top of this page. He didn't mention this other circumstance at all, and came off as just another guy uncomfortable with homosexuality for no reason.

I can understand that it was a little awkward because it was non-consentual, but he needed to be more specific earlier on.

Zephyr_Fate on
    edited July 2007
    But, see, that's different than his very first post at the top of this page. He didn't mention this other circumstance at all, and came off as just another guy uncomfortable with homosexuality for no reason.

I can understand that it was a little awkward because it was non-consentual, but he needed to be more specific earlier on.

I thought that no one cared how I felt about it.

Here: You can all watch it for yourself and judge. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dZtWzrCb4E

Samphis on
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Samphis wrote: »

Here: You can all watch it for yourself and judge. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dZtWzrCb4E

I'm not sure what about that makes it the "happy ending" but it wasn't offensive. Was there another cutscene before that or something that actually tied up the story? If not, I could see being a bit torqued over that, but the scene seemed to be going for funny, not creepy.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited July 2007
    No, that's pretty much it. In fact, the major city that gets completely wasted at the beginning of the game is good as new at the end, and everyone is suddenly alive again and it's not even mentioned.

Samphis on
  • Tw4winTw4win Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    apotheos wrote: »
    Tw4win wrote: »
    I have it for the 360 and I've played it a bit but not that much yet. I think it has a decent battle system but the plot seems a bit generic. I bought it more for my collection than to play as it was really the first JRPG released this generation.

So...please clarify...you bought it not to play it? I mean, its not like its rare or collectible in any form.

To be a bit more specific I got it free during one of those EbStop "Buy 2 used games, get 1 free" deals. As for the "collection" issue, I tend to have a huge backlog so Enchanted Arms got put in a pile (i.e. the collection) and when I get around to it I'll play it. In other words, I didn't buy it to take it home and start playing it right away.

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • StriferStrifer Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You know that a game sucks when the discussion revolves around a gay kiss.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    No, that's pretty much it. In fact, the major city that gets completely wasted at the beginning of the game is good as new at the end, and everyone is suddenly alive again and it's not even mentioned.

Oh. So the game is totally useless for completely different reasons then.

Fair enough. Point is, our money would still be better spent elsewhere.

Renzo on
  • IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Haha, I thought that was kinda funny. It's not like Makoto violated the guy or anything, they're just fooling around :P Anyway, I thought the voice acting was the worst part. English dubs generally suck, but that was just... wow.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I played around in the game for abit. I didn't think it was that bad but it certainly wasn't going to win any awards either.

If you're a fan of the JRPG genre by all means grab it. For 20 bucks it's worth it, especially considering there really isn't much else out there to choose from yet. Enchanted Arms is about as generic a JRPG as it gets which may or may not be a bad thing if you are a fan of the genre.

Bamelin on
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

You know, I'd heard the VA was bad, but wow.... Yeah, I don't think I could sit through hours of that.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    And if you're going to sell someone on an NIS RPG, at least use a traditional one. :P I enjoyed Ar Tonelico. Short, ridiculously easy, but fun.
    (Well, NIS-published, rather.)

Then again, Disgaea does seem to be on the way to the PS3...
    oh, well i was going off of his closing comment about how much he loved SRPGs. for the traditional stuff, yeah, ar tonelico's a good one, and lots of people seem to like the first atelier iris, if ya can find it.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2007
    I'm borrowing it from a friend. It's not horrible, though I'm hoping it's closer to 20 hours than 40. It's a good game to play if you don't have anything else kicking around.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • IchinisanIchinisan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If it's not worth $20, then perhaps $16 or $20 + incentives? I decided to look into those because I have a friend that would probably play through the game if I don't.

On Wednesday, Fry's wouldn't do me the 110% Pricematch because Best Buy stopped answering the phones 10mins before closing. Gamestop still charged $60 on Wednesday but it went down to $20 yesterday (Thursday). I'd bet that Fry's is down to $20 now. :(

Best Buy is running a nice Reward Zone points + $10 GC for every $100 spent deal on all games, movies, and music purchased for the next couple months (if I take some survey), so if my friend cares to I'll look into getting it that way.

Ichinisan on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It's not so much the price so much as the belief that Enchanted Arms isn't worth buying period at this point. The PS3 version isn't worth buying because there are a ton of fantastic PS2 RPGs that can be easily acquired for cheap. The XBox 360 version isn't worth buying because the US version of Blue Dragon comes out next month and judging from my 10-15 hours so far with the Asian English version of the game, it's a strong contender for best RPG of the year (in a year that includes Persona 3, Mass Effect, and Lost Odyssey no less). Not to mention, all of the systems have fantastic holiday seasons coming up. Now is the time to be saving up your money for the holiday onslaught of A+ titles or picking up older classics that you missed the first time, not wasting your money on a game that people only purchased because it was the only JRPG available on the system for a while.

RainbowDespair on