As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Marathon Durandal coming to a XBLA near you!

DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomedCanadaRegistered User regular
edited July 2007 in Games and Technology
So...
I was visiting the Bungie website when I happened to come across a news article saying Marathon durandal would be coming out for XBLA, there's some vids and screen shots
Here's a link to Freeverse's website, the guys revamping it for Live.
There's also a video on there website of the game in action looks good too.

http://216.220.102.3/games/game/?id=7009 (Freeverse Website)

(Pictures of the Game)
?action=view&current=Marathon_Durandal_screen35.jpg
?action=view&current=Marathon_Durandal_screen49.jpg
?action=view&current=Marathon_Durandal_screen8.jpg

...Looks like they updated the graphics, everything has a much cleaner look to it.
Also it says there's 8-player co-op with "King of the Hill", "Kill the Man with the Ball" (much like oddball from halo) and "Tag". These were in the original game but there's also a new survival mode which sounds like it would be fun, specially with friends to do it with.

I don't know if anyone else has played any of the orignals but they were amazing games for there time...I'm getting this off Live for sure when it comes out

Yeah I would of just posted and spoilierd the pics so you didn't have to go to there website or my links...but no idea how...I even made a photobucket account so I could host and then stick them in...so if someone knows how could they let me know...thanks

Dixon on

• Options
    devolvedevolve Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think everything that uses the 3d realms engine should be on live. Especially shadow warrior.

devolve on
    detriot.png
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    http://source.bungie.org

If you grab the high-res texture pack, you'll have even better looking graphics on your Mac or PC....and then get sick of playing it multiplayer after 30 minutes because it is a lot slower than anything you've experienced before.

The single player has a nice plot though, however on XBLA they are not releasing the first chapter. So...uh...yeah.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    devolve wrote: »
    I think everything that uses the 3d realms engine should be on live. Especially shadow warrior.

This doesn't use the BUILD engine. So....er...

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah I was confused as to why they were starting off with the second game...mabye if we're lucky they will include the first one in there as a bonus. But I never got to play Infinity the 3rd game so I'm hoping they release that one to. The co-op campaign though was always fun, I remembering playing with 3 or 4 friends on Total Carnage difficulty...those were some good times, however it always ended with us killing each other as you couldn't turn off friendly fire lol

Dixon on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Someone mentioned that they might include the first game in Halo 3. I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't release the first on XBLA unless it's being put in something else.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    MasoniteMasonite Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Dixon wrote: »
    (Pictures of the Game)
    Marathon_Durandal_screen35.jpg
    Marathon_Durandal_screen49.jpg
    Marathon_Durandal_screen8.jpg

It was something with the links.

Masonite on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    ah thanks man, yeah I couldn't figure it out, but the game looks a lot better, I guess that would be a reason why there not releasing the first marathon game over Live, but I can't say I've heard anything about it

Dixon on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    meh

Holy crap, now I need a 360.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Why should anyone buy this on Live Arcade if we can already legally play it for free on a PC? You don't even need a powerful PC to run it I would guess.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Fireflash wrote: »
    Why should anyone buy this on Live Arcade if we can already legally play it for free on a PC? You don't even need a powerful PC to run it I would guess.
    Multiplayer that actually occurs.

Also, it looks like it might not hurt my head anymore with the improved graphics. Those sprite FPS games always gave me headaches.

Though, yeah. You can play it on a PC right now. Although, with the quality graphics and all, your machine better be up to the task.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Fireflash wrote: »
    Multiplayer that actually occurs.

Also, it looks like it might not hurt my head anymore with the improved graphics. Those sprite FPS games always gave me headaches.

Though, yeah. You can play it on a PC right now. Although, with the quality graphics and all, your machine better be up to the task.

There is an improved texture pack for Aleph One that at least matches what we've seen. And the requirements to run it are very modest. I assume you're being sarcastic, then.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wait, wait, wait... EIGHT player co-op? Please to be explaining.

Accualt on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah I was confused as to why they were starting off with the second game...mabye if we're lucky they will include the first one in there as a bonus. But I never got to play Infinity the 3rd game so I'm hoping they release that one to. The co-op campaign though was always fun, I remembering playing with 3 or 4 friends on Total Carnage difficulty...those were some good times, however it always ended with us killing each other as you couldn't turn off friendly fire lol

Guy working on the team and another dude from Bungie said that it was due to the fact that the first Marathon's codebase is a fucking wreck and porting the second one meant it would actually be out in our lifetimes.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This is pretty much the coolest thing i've ever seen. A shame they can't get the first one on there.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    FyreWulff wrote: »

Guy working on the team and another dude from Bungie said that it was due to the fact that the first Marathon's codebase is a fucking wreck and porting the second one meant it would actually be out in our lifetimes.

Damn, thats to bad. I loved the story behind these games. I wonder if they'll change it at all or add some stuff to better explain your circumstances in the game

Dixon on
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The fact remains that you can, and should, legally download the entire trilogy for free on your PC (or Mac, or PSP, or whatever, it's open-source, and it's been ported to almost everything). You should play the entire trilogy and pay great attention to the computer terminals, as the story is extremely deep and interesting, at the very least on par with Halo's.

Something I've said ever since the original XBox came out, is that if they went ahead and remade the entire trilogy in Halo's engine, I would buy an XBox (360 now).

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    FyreWulff wrote: »

Damn, thats to bad. I loved the story behind these games. I wonder if they'll change it at all or add some stuff to better explain your circumstances in the game

On the one hand, I agree, but on the other I sort of hope they don't. One of the nicest parts about the Marathon story is that it's 90% cool-sounding insane stuff that college students cooked up to add a bit of flavor to shooting. It kind of annoys me that Halo's story keeps insisting on being a standard sci-fi action-fest. I liked speculating on whether or not I was a cyborg and such.

Mostly, I want to see people download this game over and over again, to convince MS that a new Marathon game would be viable and totally awesome. I want an awesome crazy computer, not a tiny blue shoulder-elf crazy computer.

edit: While you should play the games, if you cannot (god do they make my head pound now), try this. It gives you all the terminals from all the games, plus a bit of commentary, and even a few correspndences with the developers. It's actually surprisingly fun to read all the way through and try to piece together a coherent story.

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    An oft overlooked feature in Marathon games is that they have the best level names ever.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    An oft overlooked feature in Marathon games is that they have the best level names ever.

Yeah I remember we wrote down all the level names of the levels at one point....my favorite one that acutally kinda creeped me out at the time, was when
    You first encounterd the Suicidal Bobs that would explode when you came near them, the art at the begining ofthe level had the one bob there standing amongst the other bobs but his eye's were glowing
    I can't remember the name of that level though...
    As long as they have the double sawed of shotties in this though I'll be happy...god the sounds that they used for those weapons were glorious

Dixon on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The pictures were for chapter breaks. You're talking about this image.
    simulacrums.jpg

The first level of that chapter is "Where the Twist Flops", and the chapter title is.. well it's right there on the image.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    devolve wrote: »

You no mess with Lo Wang!

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I have a ridiculous amount of mspoints all saved up. I'll definitely get this one.

Ranced on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Now, see, I actually would buy this if they had released Marathon 1 first. I'm not gonna wait around for a possible unlockable in Halo 3, which I'm not even sure I'm going to buy. It's pretty ridiculous.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    namelessnameless Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah I remember we wrote down all the level names of the levels at one point....my favorite one that acutally kinda creeped me out at the time, was when
    You first encounterd the Suicidal Bobs that would explode when you came near them, the art at the begining ofthe level had the one bob there standing amongst the other bobs but his eye's were glowing
    Thank God it's you!

Seriously this is great news. I personally feel the Marathon series had one of the best stories in the history of all videogames. Better than Halo's. Read through Marathon's Story if you don't believe me.

nameless on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Now, see, I actually would buy this if they had released Marathon 1 first. I'm not gonna wait around for a possible unlockable in Halo 3, which I'm not even sure I'm going to buy. It's pretty ridiculous.

Judging by the Q&A, if this sells well, it sounds like Marathon 1, and Infinity will definately be brought to XBLA.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I am incredibly excited about this. Marathon was pretty important in the evolution of shooters, and I fucking loved it when I was a lot younger.

I'mma get this right when comes out. Anyone else gonna be rockin' the multiplayer?

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    yeah se that picture is quite freaky...but yeah i'll be all over this games multiplayer...my xboxlive gamertag is dixonater, I know the game won't be out for a while, but I'm just trying to be on the ball for once :P
    I remember in marathon one though, if you played a multiplayer match some of the levels and such npc's would spawn I'm hoping thats what happens for the survival mode in the XBLA version of Durandal

Dixon on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Well if you're interested, the Marathon Total Conversion for Unreal Tournament just recently wrapped up (they seem to have Bungies blessing on this too):

http://resurrection.bungie.org/

Total conversion which contains all singleplayer levels and multiplayer as well. You guys might want to check it out, I'll probably do the same once I dig out my copy of UT.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Thats a pretty cool mod...but I don't have my UT99 disks anymore...to bad it wasn't for UT2004, then I could of tried it out

Dixon on
  • Options
    DeadshotDeadshot Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Thats a pretty cool mod...but I don't have my UT99 disks anymore...to bad it wasn't for UT2004, then I could of tried it out

I don't understand why they did it for UT instead of UT2k4, but oh well.

Deadshot on
    o ok
  • Options
    namelessnameless Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    'Cause it's an old, old modding project.

nameless on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, that project was started when UT was the new hotness.

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Heh.
    From the FAQ, on why they did M2 first...
    Dual Shotguns, quite possibly the best weapon ever created.

Quoted for frickin' TRUTH. Those things were objects of beauty.

And, holy crap, Survival sounds awesome. The Vid-Master's Challenge returns! Hopefully we can see a port of "You Think You're Big Time? You're Gonna Die Big Time!" for it.
    Survival is a giant truck that pulls up to your house one day, where a platoon of alien commandos jump out, kidnap you, and wail on you until you're dead. And then the truck explodes, just to make sure the job gets done. If you're lucky, you'll take out a few hundred of them before your final moments.

Seeing it with a cross-hair is kinda weird, though.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I am a giant Marathon nerd and this has me very excited.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Having recently revisited Marathon, multiplayer seems to be an exercise is two things:
    1) Patience. It is extremely slow compared to anything modern, hell, anything else. This is actually kind of refreshing, kinda sorta.
    2) Having shotguns or the rocket launcher and thus having instant kills, or not and dying a lot.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    I am a giant Marathon nerd and this has me very excited.

Can you tell me why you want to pay for something that is already free and has been free for sometime?

I really don't get these people that will apparently buy anything Microsoft puts on Live Arcade.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Because I can play it on my 720p tv in the living room, because it will be easier to get multiplayer matches, because I won't have to deal with the hassle of running it on Aleph One.

How about those reasons?

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Because I can play it on my 720p tv in the living room, because it will be easier to get multiplayer matches, because I won't have to deal with the hassle of running it on Aleph One.

How about those reasons?

Well the last one is total BS. You unzip and run.

But the first two are valid if thats what your $10 is worth to you.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    LingxorLingxor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    marathon thon thon thon!

I can't wait.

And yea, splitscreen and Xbox Live support makes this totally worth buying.

Lingxor on