As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So David Beckham was kind of a disappointment

wombatwombat __BANNED USERS regular
edited July 2007 in Social Entropy++
Today was David Beckham's first game for the Los Angeles Galaxy. He's coming off of a recently injured ankle, and many people wondered if he would even play. But considering that this game sold out months ago and seats were going for $2000, they pretty much had to put him in.

That said, he played like a man who was injured. They put him in with like 12 minutes left and then he didn't really do much.

Then this guy streaked the field and tried to suck his cock, but he accidentally sucked the referee's (it was kind of complicated, just youtube it or somethign).

Just kidding.

Or am I?

siggy2.jpg
Vote for my film! (watching it is also an option)
wii friend code: 7623 9955 2119 1775
wombat on

• Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    he's a pretty good lookin' guy.

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The Los Angeles Galaxy.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    The CheeseThe Cheese Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Zephyr wrote: »
    he's a pretty good lookin' guy.

his wife is basically a freak though

The Cheese on
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Way to waste the last 2 or 3 good years of football you had playing in a league without about as much quality as my local pub league Mr. Beckham.

I mean fuck Juan Pablo Angel is one of the best strikers in the league, and he's utterly shit.

Still, earning £500,000 a week must be fun.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Soccer teams have stupid names.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    The Los Angeles Galaxy.

because they're surrounded by stars or LA is full of stars or something

yes that is the real explanation of the LA Galaxy's name

wombat on
    siggy2.jpg
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    wombat wrote: »
    The Los Angeles Galaxy.

because they're surrounded by stars or LA is full of stars or something

yes that is the real explanation of the LA Galaxy's name

Holy shit.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    Way to waste the last 2 or 3 good years of football you had playing in a league without about as much quality as my local pub league Mr. Beckham.

I mean fuck Juan Pablo Angel is one of the best strikers in the league, and he's utterly shit.

I love that he earned Real a la Liga title after he decided to leave

wombat on
    siggy2.jpg
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    that's clever

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Well the idea is obviously to bring more attention to the sport in the United States. The problems are a) no matter who comes around it's still a losing battle (I guess Pele tried that and it didn't really work) and b) as I understand it Becks is 3 or 4 years past his prime.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Playing in the US will make it seem like he's still got a few good years left.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2007
    why would you play soccer in america

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited July 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Butters wrote: »

Well the idea is obviously to bring more attention to the sport in the United States. The problems are a) no matter who comes around it's still a losing battle (I guess Pele tried that and it didn't really work) and b) as I understand it Becks is 3 or 4 years past his prime.

He was actually playing better than he has in about 7 years this season. There's a chance it could help the league, I just think it's a waste of talent, he's still good enough to get into a lot of the best teams in Europe.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    USA was my second team last world cup.

With Australia and some of the asian teams they know they aint gonna win and just go balls out and have fun.

Heck, when USA lost they were all smiles and like 'fuck yeah' cause they did really well. England though suck so hard. God, I hate our national team, full of complete handicaps on a million a week who cant score for shit.

Beckham to USA is good, raises profile of football over there cause you guys have the funding to really dominate. Take nearly every other sport, and even athletics. An American is up there somewhere in the running for titles, except football. Good.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I had a dream that predicted the final outcome to the World Cup a couple of nights before the match.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    TrexyTrexy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I would not mind being that well in shape at his age.

Trexy on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I had a dream that predicted the final outcome to the World Cup a couple of nights before the match.

You predicted the result of a match between 2 teams? What are the chances.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    Filler Inc.Filler Inc. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So I hear you're not allowed to touch the ball with your hands.

Is that true?

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

You predicted the result of a match between 2 teams? What are the chances.

I mean the final score.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Of course, this is really flimsy proof, but, you know.
    hey.jpg

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    You know whats fun?

Not watching soccer.

Playing it on the other hand, that's fun.

Watching it... It's boring as hell. Like most other sports on television. Boring as shit.

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Keith wrote: »

Because someone is paying you out the ass to do it and further feeding your desire to be media whore. He's now getting more attention than ever.

Butters on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    EEEETS NAAAWGHT CAAAWD SAAWWCUUH

EEEETS CAAAWWD FOOOOTBAAAAWL

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Butters wrote: »
    Keith wrote: »

Because someone is paying you out the ass to do it and further feeding your desire to be media whore. He's now getting more attention than ever.

Plus his wife's new television deal in LA.

Theres no reason to not do it if you and your spouse are making ridiculous amounts of money to simply do what you always do, but in CA.

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I played soccer with a bunch of friends a couple days ago.
    We're all pretty in shape, but none of us play any sports.
    That said, it was a LOT of fun, even if we couldn't keep control of the ball really.
    It was a very low scoring game.

Trexy on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    soccer tends to be a really low scoring game anyway

wombat on
    siggy2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Well, we were also playing with lacrosse goals.

Trexy on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Beckham to USA is good, raises profile of football over there cause you guys have the funding to really dominate. Take nearly every other sport, and even athletics. An American is up there somewhere in the running for titles, except football. Good.

I'm not sure I agree. Like I said, Pele tried it and whatever success he may have had then didn't last.

The root of the problems isn't that soccer doesn't get enough media attention. It's that the best athletes the US has to offer go to play other sports. Hence our recent history in the Olympics.

Butters on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    well part of the lack of media attention is due to television exposure. because soccer doesn't have any breaks, there's no real venue for advertising (aside from jerseys and wall ads and stuff), at least not like there is in say, football, where they can put ads in after every first down or whatever.

there's also this idea of like americans liking their own things more than others, and supposedly that's why there's more of a preference towards football, which we've made our own, and soccer, which is a sport that we somewhat inherited from europe or whatever. Im not really a big fan of that theory because I just don't care about it like that.

wombat on
    siggy2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I figure the fault lies in soccer moms.

No one likes them, they show you stupid pictures of their ugly children in ugly soccer uniforms and no one cares. They drive godawful suvs and minivans and they wear shirts like 'cougar pride pack mama!' and you just wanna punch em.

Punch em right in their fat, piggy faces while they talk on their phones with other soccer moms, arranging pizza parties for their ugly, stupid children to go to after they run around a field for an hour without scoring any goals.

You ever watch a kids soccer game? It's boring. They all huddle around the ball and kick desperately at it untill the ball eventually bounces out of the circle, and then they do it all again. Then they take a break and eat oranges and drink capri sun, and go right back at it. The goalies sit on the ground and pick grass and dandylions while swarms of retarded children circlejerk around a ball for what seems like fucking forever.

The only thing worth watching is the coach, some sad, depressing 40 yearold drunk father with a whistle and a clipboard barking orders like some general a great war. Only instead of fight nazi's or communists, you're up against a bunch of snot nosed children with shin gaurds. And god forbid one of the little punks falls! Oh jesus! Timmy took a cleet to his armor claded shin! Call the fucking ambulance! He's in slight discomfort! Pause the game, grab some bandaids, and god willing if he makes it through this traumatic experience, maybe, just maybe, we can start this game so everyone can get home and drink themselves dead inside, and lie to themselves that what they watched today was endearing and entertaining. Instead of seeing their little shitstains as the underacheiving antiathletes they are, they fool themselves into believing they are the proud parents of the next pele.

Fuck soccer moms.

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    They're the ones who take a cart so they can put all their kids in it when they need to buy 3-4 items.
    Then they leave the cart in my lane and just run off with their bags.
    Thanks a lot soccer mom.

Trexy on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    god forbid we provide some sort of physical fitness and team building exercise and social bonding for our youth and then how dare we go as far as to support them in it too

jesus christ captain cynic

wombat on
    siggy2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I may be just a tad bitter inside.

But the point stands, fuck soccer moms.

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    you do know that soccer moms is a blanket term right? a lot of soccer moms don't even have kids that play soccer specifically. or even sports for that matter.

wombat on
    siggy2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    You do know I'm making wild generalized statements against a group of women who for the most part are alright, and don't live up to the sterotypes we've placed on them.

It's almost like I'm joking.

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I just want you to cheer up, champ.

besides, I'm a fan of hot soccer moms. I will gladly stare at pictures of their ugly kids as long as they hold them next to their cleavage.

wombat on
    siggy2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    You like fat soccer moms!

hah!

Seriously, milfs rock.

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    MLS is kind of a disappointment