As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lowering Latency - Affecting Online Gameplay

RevolutionaryRevolutionary Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
These topics are never that original so I'll keep it short: High latency in online games, want it lowered.

My Internet Situation:

My computer is connected to a home network consisting of 3 computers that actively use the net, but two laptops are occasionally connected. The router is in the kitchen, which, if you head out my door, head left for 2 meters, and turn right and head 4 meters, you'd arrive at.

My wireless receiver (long, black thing) pokes out the back of my computer to the side. I can post pictures if neccessary. So it has to blast (so to speak) through one or two walls to hit the router.

I shut off MSN, uTorrent and any other bandwidth consuming software before playing.

Yet in WoW, I'm getting a 300ms latency at best, and up to 4000 at worst. It is a U.S server (I'm Australian) but I don't want to switch, as my friends and many other Australians play there.

I can connect a cable to the router but of course that only lasts a few days before complaints arise. It is a temporary fix. It gives slightly lower speeds but is reliable, hasn't DC'd on me yet.

There is apparently a firewall inbuilt to my router. Maybe a way to make this more friendly to me?

So I need suggestions on buffing up my speed. Can anyone lend me a hand? Recommend me a guide? Etc.

I await your replies; any help is appreciated.

Revolutionary on

• Options
    RaereRaere Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    What's your ping like with a direct cable? Also, how's the wireless signal?

Raere on
    Raere.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The signal strength is excellent. However I haven't checked it during the lag-periods. As for the ping with the cable, I'll try it out later.

Revolutionary on
  • Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Can u direct conect to the router. Wireless is notorious for having bad pings. 300 sounds about on standard for wireless and it frequently jumps higher. If you absolutely must use wireless there are 2 things i would do. 1 assign a static ip/dns so that less time is spent re-establishing those. It's also possible to increase the output power of your router but im not exaclty sure how to do that myself. Also try portforward to open the required ports if you havn't already

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Can u direct conect to the router. Wireless is notorious for having bad pings. 300 sounds about on standard for wireless and it frequently jumps higher. If you absolutely must use wireless there are 2 things i would do. 1 assign a static ip/dns so that less time is spent re-establishing those. It's also possible to increase the output power of your router but im not exaclty sure how to do that myself. Also try portforward to open the required ports if you havn't already

I'm no techno guru - could you put that into more simple english for me?

I'll check out port forward now.

Revolutionary on
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I play WoW on a US server from New Zealand actually, and I get similar pings to you. Good is 200. It's not uncommon to be at 400 though. I blame my ISP, though.

exis on
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I'm no techno guru - could you put that into more simple english for me?

I'll check out port forward now.

Wireless slow. Iz fact. Hardline moar faster. Troof.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Cheapest and easiest way is to direct connect. Rather then trying to boost wirless, mess with setting etc, try direct connecting and finding a way you can do that? (Run cable under carpet or across wall etc.)

romanqwerty on