As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Talking in Tongues -- A Sign from God?

BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Also known as Glossolalia

My mother talks in tongues. The first time it happened in scared the crap out of me ... she had attended some big religious convention down in the US, and one of the speakers "laid hands" on her. I knew that it happened occasionally but it never happened in front of me.

And then one day while praying in the car she started to talk in tongues. This happened while she was driving. Suffice to say it I freaked out imagining we faced immenient death as she babbled nonsensically (or in the tongue of angels depending who you ask). I actually thought it was a seizure or something.

It was pretty weird to be honest, although I thought this might have been due to it being such a strange occurance. It's not every day the person driving your car breaks out into tongues.

It had been a few years since I had seen my mother speak in tongues, but yesterday it happened again. Not sure why I'm bringing it to these boards actually, but I sorta needed to talk it through. Perhaps hear some theories on what people thing "tongues" really is, both religious and scientific.

While I have no doubt this viewpoint won't be a popular one, particularly on this board, I personally believe "speaking in tongues" to be a some sort of religious conversation between the Holy Spirit and God (the Father). From what I've seen, at least with my mother, the whole "speak in tongues" thing, has generally happened when she has some sort of heavy burden on her heart, something bothering her so much, she doesn't have the ability to put it into words. At that point I believe that the Holy Spirit takes over for her, perhaps interceding with God somewhat the same way Catholics believe that priests do during Confession.

While I am Protestant myself, I understand the basic premise behind Confession, and I wonder if Tongues is perhaps a higher form of intercession between man and God.

Do you guys think "Speaking in Tongues" is some sort of weird fanatical crazy ass Penecostal thing? Is it an oddity easily explained away by science as some sort of seizure? Or is there more to it than that?

Bamelin on

• Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Its a delusion. And probably one which should not be indulged while in control of a flying hunk of metal :?

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Bacchants, Somatists, hard partying Shinto devotees, Dervishes...

Nothing particularly special about Pentecostals

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    Its a delusion. And probably one which should not be indulged while in control of a flying hunk of metal :?

It really is.

There is like, no biblical basis for the modern day "Talking in tounges".

It's so extremley retarted.

When the Apostles spoke in tounges they did not need a random person translator.

Transporter on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hippie acid flashbacks, as I call 'em. Seriously, there are consequences and repercussions for doing shit tons of drugs. Speaking crazy to God is one of 'em.

RSL is the other.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Manning'sEquationManning'sEquation Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I knew the day would come when I would agree with The Cat, I just never thought it would be in a religion thread.

Manning'sEquation on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think as long as it doesn't hurt anyone who gives a fuck? Calling someone's religious experiences retarded is retarded. It probably is a delusion, but it's harmless. If it somehow makes the world an easier thing to deal with or better for that person I'm all for it. Unfortunately, I think a majority of what I've seen (on TV) are snake oil peddlers taking advantage of gullible people.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I like the Snow Crash explanation: Blah blah Neuro-linguistic programming blah deep structures blah blah motorcycle samurai hacker explosion.

It also may be some form of seizure onset symptom... perhaps it is involuntary in some people, and is exploited ceremonially, causing copy-cat cases. But I haven't actually done any research, so I have no clue about the scientific end of this. Plus, any reported case of "speaking in tounges" is going to be by default reported by someone who is hostile to the idea that science can explain it. A non-religious person would say "I had a seizure".

I think people just have a hard time accepting that god doesn't speak to them in big, flashy extravaganzas anymore. Nobody wants to hear about finding god in the quiet places and so forth, they want a burning bush and some stone tablets. Speaking in tounges is a way to feel like you're being directly affected by your deity, which is a pretty powerful thing.

Also, seriously, never drive in the car with your mom again, that's fucking dangerous. Plus, when you get to heaven and it turns out that god wasn't doing it, you're going to be so embarassed.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I could be wrong, but isn't "speaking in tongues" supposed to allow everyone, regardless of their language to understand you? And isn't that pretty much the exact fucking opposite of this loony bullshit?

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I could be wrong, but isn't "speaking in tongues" supposed to allow everyone, regardless of their language to understand you? And isn't that pretty much the exact fucking opposite of this loony bullshit?

Pretty much. People who are too stupid to read the bible think it's that babbling bullshit.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    The original speaking in tongues miracle in the NT was meant to give the early preachers the ability to speak more of the local languages than just aramaic/greek/latin, thus enhancing the ability to preach effectively. Like sleep-tapes, only with holy fire. It wasn't meant to make people unintelligible, fuck if I know where that came from.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Malkor wrote: »
    I think as long as it doesn't hurt anyone who gives a fuck? Calling someone's religious experiences retarded is retarded.
    Driving a car while you are literally hallucinating is unfathomably stupid.

Azio on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Bamelin wrote: »
    From what I've seen, at least with my mother, the whole "speak in tongues" thing, has generally happened when she has some sort of heavy burden on her heart, something bothering her so much, she doesn't have the ability to put it into words. At that point I believe that the Holy Spirit takes over for her, perhaps interceding with God somewhat the same way Catholics believe that priests do during Confession.

So you think that something's bothering her, she can't or won't talk about it, but God wants her to talk about it so she starts to 'speak in tongues'? After she goes through it can she interpret what she's said?

Malkor on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Azio wrote: »
    I think as long as it doesn't hurt anyone who gives a fuck? Calling someone's religious experiences retarded is retarded.

Seriously, if anyone from my fucking family ever pulled that shit, they'd get a smack in the back of the head.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Seriously, if anyone from my fucking family ever pulled that shit, they'd get a smack in the back of the head.

Oh, I thought she was doing the praying before we leave, praying when we arrive thing. I didn't realize that praying while driving occured as well.

Malkor on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

It really is.

There is like, no biblical basis for the modern day "Talking in tounges".

It's so extremley retarted.

When the Apostles spoke in tounges they did not need a random person translator.

I think Acts 14 talks about 2 different types of "gifts", one being the ability to talk in Tongues, the other the ability to translate what's being said in tongues (The gift of Prophecy).

Somebody above mentioned that "Tongues" is common in other religious practices. I didn't realize that Tongues was practiced in other religions.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    chasm953 wrote: »

Pretty much. People who are too stupid to read the bible think it's that babbling bullshit.

The language thing is called Xenoglossy and yes it does seem to be what's described in Acts 2 on the Day of the Pentacost.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    From what I've seen, at least with my mother, the whole "speak in tongues" thing, has generally happened when she has some sort of heavy burden on her heart, something bothering her so much, she doesn't have the ability to put it into words. At that point I believe that the Holy Spirit takes over for her, perhaps interceding with God somewhat the same way Catholics believe that priests do during Confession.

So you think that something's bothering her, she can't or won't talk about it, but God wants her to talk about it so she starts to 'speak in tongues'? After she goes through it can she interpret what she's said?

It goes abit deeper than that. Basically there is something that's bothering her, so she starts to pray, but the issue is so "heavy on her heart" she can't come up with the words to say to God while praying. The idea is that the Holy Spirit then intercedes, saying the words to God that she can't formulate herself.

I've been interested in the whole Tongues thing for awhile now ever seeing it happen with my mother. I'm not really sure where I fall on the issue, but there is definately biblical evidence for the phenomina, particularly in Acts 14.

I pretty much felt the same way to be honest. Religious extacy or not, I was literally like "OMG" when it happened on the road. She was like "oh it's no problem I can still drive when this happens" .... but I'll admit I had images of the car careening out of control. Initially I thought she was having a seizure. Scared the hell out of me.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The original speaking in tongues miracle in the NT was meant to give the early preachers the ability to speak more of the local languages than just aramaic/greek/latin, thus enhancing the ability to preach effectively. Like sleep-tapes, only with holy fire. It wasn't meant to make people unintelligible, fuck if I know where that came from.

My fundie friends, who enjoy gathering downstairs and shouting in tongues while I'm trying to fucking sleep, claim it's not supposed to be unintelligible but random languages. Basically, they claim they've heard people speak in short bursts of spanish, greek, latin, usw.

Now, I've had a bit more education in linguistics, and I've heard a lot of their babbling, and I've never heard any fucking spanish from them.

Anyway, many do believe that it is or should be intelligible to others, but it's our (us waiting to be converted) fault that we don't know the language they're shouting.

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Somebody above mentioned that "Tongues" is common in other religious practices. I didn't realize that Tongues was practiced in other religions.

It's everywhere when you start getting into the esoteric or less published parts of religions. I know jack shit about neurobiology or neurochemistry, but it could be something with religions in general, sort of like "the power of prayer" works in every religion.

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You never will hear any spanish Octo. Or any other real language. Thats the whole point of the thin FRIBBER JIM JAM ON WALLY CAT INTERSPACIAL *RELATIONSHIP*

Reminds me of the Orz.

hawkbox on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    "Speaking in tongues" is nonsense from a Christian point of view. It has nothing to do with the miracle described in the Bible.

When someone has a tongue of fire descend upon them from Heaven and grant them the ability to spread the Gospel in another language, which they have never learned but which is immediately recognisable to native speakers, that’s a miracle.

When someone starts speaking gibberish for no apparent reason, that’s a brain malfunction.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    What I find far more fascinating is when people who have received trauma to the head, or have awoken from a coma, or have been sleep-talking, etc., can talk in a foreign language, even if they've never learned that language.

Janson on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Janson wrote: »
    What I find far more fascinating is when people who have received trauma to the head, or have awoken from a coma, or have been sleep-talking, etc., can talk in a foreign language, even if they've never learned that language.

See that is some weird shit

I believe it only happens if they have been exposed to the language though

Which would suggest that your brains stores and processes linguistic information completely subconsciously and if you just slammed your head against the wall properly you could unlock it

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Which would suggest that your brains stores and processes linguistic information completely subconsciously and if you just slammed your head against the wall properly you could unlock it

That, my friend, sounds like a hypothesis. I'd be most interested to hear how that works out for you.

;-)

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Fallingman wrote: »

That, my friend, sounds like a hypothesis. I'd be most interested to hear how that works out for you.

;-)

let me go put on mah learnin' helmet

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

That's not totally crazy, given how easy learning languages is for children, I have to think that perhaps the only difference as we get older is properly processing the new language (perhaps we're overthinking it?), we're likely still taking it in, just not doing anything with it.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I love it w hen people try and wheel this tomfoolery out as proof of modern miracles/the hand of god.

Oh crazy people, you never fail to amuse.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Fallingman wrote: »

;-)

let me go put on mah learnin' helmet

If you can get that working, can you tell me the precise location you hit your head and how hard? Don't worry if you can't tell me in English, I'll find a translator.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2007
    Octoparrot wrote: »
    Now, I've had a bit more education in linguistics, and I've heard a lot of their babbling, and I've never heard any fucking spanish from them.

That's where the religious theme comes in: you hear what you want to hear from glossolalia.

I recall an article some years ago where some British person took a blow to the head, and then spoke with a thick French accent. :P

Echo on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Heh, I've heard stories like that before. People taking on accents - frequently English.

A couple of years ago when I was in Malawi my friend and I were walking along the main road and could hear this non-sensical (though granted, its not that I knew a whole lot of the local language anyway) yelling and screaming coming from a group of huts on the other side. It definitely got our attention, though we assumed there was a brawl going on.

Then these three girls (between 10 and 14 I'd imagine) walk up to us and ask if we knew what was happening.

They then told us the people were talking in tongues, identified themselves as Jehovah's Witnesses and proceeded to ask us when we would be joining their church. Across languages, races and continents, some things never change :P

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Protip: Jehovah's Witnesses don't find it funny when you refer to them as God's Tattletales.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    CorlisCorlis Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Interesting bit from the Bible:

"For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God. Indeed, no one understands him; he utters mysteries with his spirit. But everyone who prophesies speaks to men for their strengthening, encouragement and comfort. He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church. I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, but I would rather have you prophesy. He who prophesies is greater than one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets, so that the church may be edified."

Much of the rest of the chapter is Paul speaking more about it.

Corlis on
    But I don't mind, as long as there's a bed beneath the stars that shine,
    I'll be fine, just give me a minute, a man's got a limit, I can't get a life if my heart's not in it.
  • Options
    LiveWireLiveWire Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I remember when my Alzheimer's stricken religious grandfather moved in with my parents. My religious mother eagerly convinced herself that his nonsensical muttering of random syllables was, in fact, my grandfather speaking in tongues. She called us all on the phone to get us to believe it too. This is religion in a nutshell.
    I think as long as it doesn't hurt anyone who gives a fuck? Calling someone's religious experiences retarded is retarded. It probably is a delusion, but it's harmless. If it somehow makes the world an easier thing to deal with or better for that person I'm all for it. Unfortunately, I think a majority of what I've seen (on TV) are snake oil peddlers taking advantage of gullible people.

You may not understand this immediately, but some people are interested in the truth. If you are the type of person who thinks it's good to tell a dying man he doesn't actually have cancer because it makes the world easier or better for him, well fine. Millions if not billions of people share your cowardice. It's probably one of the reasons why religion was invented.

LiveWire on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    LiveWire wrote: »
    I remember when my Alzheimer's stricken religious grandfather moved in with my parents. My religious mother eagerly convinced herself that his nonsensical muttering of random syllables was, in fact, my grandfather speaking in tongues. She called us all on the phone to get us to believe it too. This is religion in a nutshell.

You may not understand this immediately, but some people are interested in the truth. If you are the type of person who thinks it's good to tell a dying man he doesn't actually have cancer because it makes the world easier or better for him, well fine. Millions if not billions of people share your cowardice. It's probably one of the reasons why religion was invented.
    Some truth is subjective. I guess your mom really believed that your grandfather was channeling god. Maybe her truth didn't jive with reality, I don't think she's a coward though, I think maybe she delt with a painful process the best way she knew how.

At any rate, I'd never lie to a dying man about the facts. But, if a person who was dying from cancer got comfort and strength from praying to their higher power, seeking a cure that wasn't based in science, or BASE jumping, I wouldn't tell them to give up. Or that they were wasting their time, or attampt to tell them how to live out the rest of their lives. I wouldn't take that away from them. Just like I wouldn't try to convince an atheist that his tumor would stop growing if he prayed to the big dude in the sky.

Also I'm waiting until my kid sister is six to tell her there's no Easter Bunny, Santa Clause or Tooth Fairy. I know she already knows what's up, but if I tell her the truh I don't have to buy her presents right?

Malkor on
  • Options
    Nexus ZeroNexus Zero Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Speaking in tongues is only as ridiculous as religion itself. If you have an imaginary friend, then I don't see the problem in having an imaginary language to talk to him.

Nexus Zero on
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I'm pretty sure this has only ever happened with accents, never languages unless - as some already pointed out - they've had previous exposure to that language. What's actually happening in these cases isn't that they've developed a brand new accent, but that their current method of speech has become impaired in such a way that resembles another accent.
    If you have a stroke, sometimes your speech becomes slurred - it's the same principle but with an occurrence that sounds like an already existing accent.

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Also known as Glossolalia

My mother talks in tongues. The first time it happened in scared the crap out of me ... she had attended some big religious convention down in the US, and one of the speakers "laid hands" on her. I knew that it happened occasionally but it never happened in front of me.

And then one day while praying in the car she started to talk in tongues. This happened while she was driving. Suffice to say it I freaked out imagining we faced immenient death as she babbled nonsensically (or in the tongue of angels depending who you ask). I actually thought it was a seizure or something.

It was pretty weird to be honest, although I thought this might have been due to it being such a strange occurance. It's not every day the person driving your car breaks out into tongues.

It had been a few years since I had seen my mother speak in tongues, but yesterday it happened again. Not sure why I'm bringing it to these boards actually, but I sorta needed to talk it through. Perhaps hear some theories on what people thing "tongues" really is, both religious and scientific.

While I have no doubt this viewpoint won't be a popular one, particularly on this board, I personally believe "speaking in tongues" to be a some sort of religious conversation between the Holy Spirit and God (the Father). From what I've seen, at least with my mother, the whole "speak in tongues" thing, has generally happened when she has some sort of heavy burden on her heart, something bothering her so much, she doesn't have the ability to put it into words. At that point I believe that the Holy Spirit takes over for her, perhaps interceding with God somewhat the same way Catholics believe that priests do during Confession.

While I am Protestant myself, I understand the basic premise behind Confession, and I wonder if Tongues is perhaps a higher form of intercession between man and God.

Do you guys think "Speaking in Tongues" is some sort of weird fanatical crazy ass Penecostal thing? Is it an oddity easily explained away by science as some sort of seizure? Or is there more to it than that?

So she went to a brain-washing convention and now she's acting weird, you say?

Doc on
  • Options
    kaz67kaz67 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I had an uncle who did that after his big religious conversion but no one took him seriously.

kaz67 on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    kaz67 wrote: »
    I had an uncle who did that after his big religious conversion but no one took him seriously.

So he stopped doing it in public?

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    kaz67kaz67 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Octoparrot wrote: »
    kaz67 wrote: »

So he stopped doing it in public?

Yep.

kaz67 on
This discussion has been closed.