Options

So, Lost Odyssey and FFX...

2»

• Options
    wateyadwateyad Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    and yes, there was gameplay footage of LO at E3.

With a UI showing? because I'm looking but I'm not finding. From what scraps I have found, the only discernable information is that it is turn-based, people line up in rows and the attack animations seem to take way too damn long. That really tells me a lot about the combat system and whether or not it's actually anything like the one shown at TGS.

wateyad on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Kaputa wrote: »
    Vegan wrote: »
    You could tell who's turn was next, but unlike Grandia it was actually turn based, and interrupting your opponents turns wasn't possible in FFX. The only real similarity is that you can tell who goes next.

Actually, in FFX, certain attacks WOULD push back an enemy's turn order. If I'm remembering correctly. Maybe certain attacks were quicker and would let you go again before the enemy's turn came, compared to other attacks. In either case, the idea is very similar to Grandia.
    Hmm, you're right, I do remember the quick attacks that would let you go more than once per turn.
    FFX's battle system was essentially an ATB system in Wait mode, without the waiting. It was "time" based in that you could delay enemy turns or speed up your own turns by a certain amount of time, but not necessarily a whole turn. So for example, you could use an attack that delayed the enemy by a certain amount of time, but if that amount of time still passes between your own turns, it won't stop the enemy from having their turn next.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    etoychestetoychest Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    wateyad wrote: »
    and yes, there was gameplay footage of LO at E3.

With a UI showing? because I'm looking but I'm not finding. From what scraps I have found, the only discernable information is that it is turn-based, people line up in rows and the attack animations seem to take way too damn long. That really tells me a lot about the combat system and whether or not it's actually anything like the one shown at TGS.

At this recent E3? It was shown behind closed doors in playable form, though it was played for us, not by us.

etoychest on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Kami wrote: »
    Aetheri wrote: »
    Kami wrote: »
    The only thing I liked about FFX was the gameplay/battle structure, so I think I'll be pretty happy with Lost Odyssey.

But dear God, Square, please make a better story than X. Please.

Square's not making Lost Odyssey- that's being done by Mistwalker, which was responsible for Blue Dragon.

Ah, yeah, brainfart.

Still, though. Sakaguchi, please make something better than FFX's narrative.

Sakaguchi was the executive producer on FFX, so he probably didn't have a ton of creative input. The LO story shouldn't be too similar to FFX.

And one thing that I've read about several times is the Wall System. It's a part of the battle system, and it's built on the concept that melee fighters are tough, and magic users are glass cannons. So protecting your magic users with your melee guys seems to be a priority. Sounds cool.

Renzo on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Sleep wrote: »
    The only BIG similiarity between the two is the Turn Priority system (sorry, using SH:Covenant/From the New World terminology).

Sounds like the Grandia system.

Ohmigosh. Was FFX just a rip off of Grandia II?
    Meh, they're not that similar. You could tell who's turn was next, but unlike Grandia it was actually turn based, and interrupting your opponents turns wasn't possible in FFX. The only real similarity is that you can tell who goes next.

Unless Grandia II's battle system was different than Grandia III's. For some reason I've owned II for like two years and never played it.

Eh.

With the ATB you could always tell who's turn was coming up. With Grandia II, if I recall correctly, it just had it neatly arranged in a graphic in the top right hand corner.

Sheep on