As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Employee Lounge - where-in we discuss awful customers AND co-workers

• shutzshutz Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    A woman walked up to her while I was standing nearby and said "Do you have dry ginger?"
    She said, "Sorry, what do you mean?"
    "Dry ginger."
    "Do you mean raw ginger?"
    "No."
    "Ginger beer?"
    "No."
    "Ginger wine?"
    "No."
    "Ginger ale?"
    "Yes, that's it."

Thanks, random old woman, for really making yourself clear.

I think I know where this one comes from: one popular brand of ginger ale (at least, here in Canada) is called Canada Dry (is that sold outside Canada?) So you have "Canada Dry ginger ale" Since Canada is a word a lot of people gloss over, and ale is another short, easy-to-overlook word, you end up with "dry ginger".

Still doesn't excuse the woman's stupidity, however.

In general, stupid people don't realize that, when you don't seem to know what they're talking about, they should try using other words to express their ideas, instead of repeating the same thing, thinking that on the 256th time, you'll magically understand it.

shutz on
    Creativity begets criticism.
    Check out my new blog: http://50wordstories.ca
    Also check out my old game design blog: http://stealmygamedesigns.blogspot.com
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    yeah, the US has canada dry. i dunno how popular it is compared to vernors, but it's pretty big.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    shutz wrote: »
    A woman walked up to her while I was standing nearby and said "Do you have dry ginger?"
    She said, "Sorry, what do you mean?"
    "Dry ginger."
    "Do you mean raw ginger?"
    "No."
    "Ginger beer?"
    "No."
    "Ginger wine?"
    "No."
    "Ginger ale?"
    "Yes, that's it."

Thanks, random old woman, for really making yourself clear.

I think I know where this one comes from: one popular brand of ginger ale (at least, here in Canada) is called Canada Dry (is that sold outside Canada?).

Yea thats actually a pretty popular brand here in the states.

brandotheninjamaster on
  • BikkstahBikkstah Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So I'm a lifeguard now that I'm only a weekend warrior, I work at a big gym (mostly so I can lift for free). I figured being a lifeguard is a high-paying job for the summer that won't entail me to interact with other humans. Wrong. So wrong.

Me: Sitting on my chair, minding my own beeswax
    Mom: Why is your hair cut like that?
    Me: Me, m'am?
    Mom: Yes, you.
    Me: Cut like what, m'am?
    Mom: Like you're in the military or something
    Me: I am in the military m'am
    Mom: oh my, why are you working here?
    Me: I need the money m'am?
    Mom: If you're in the military, why don't they pay you what you need?
    Me: I only have training on the weekends m'am, during the week I'm not on duty and therefore I don't get paid
    Mom: I still don't understand why you need the extra money

At this point I began to explain how our society has evolved to trade money for goods and services, but another lifeguard, my friend, saw what was about to happen and intervened, asking me to go inside and get him a coke before I snapped this lady's head off.

I'd work this job for half the pay if I could put up a sign that reads: "IF YOUR KIDS ARE DROWNING, I WILL SAVE THEM. DON'T COME NEAR ME OTHERWISE."

Bikkstah on
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Bikkstah wrote: »
    So I'm a lifeguard now that I'm only a weekend warrior, I work at a big gym (mostly so I can lift for free). I figured being a lifeguard is a high-paying job for the summer that won't entail me to interact with other humans. Wrong. So wrong.

Me: I only have training on the weekends m'am, during the week I'm not on duty and therefore I don't get paid

At this point I began to explain how our society has evolved to trade money for goods and services, but another lifeguard, my friend, saw what was about to happen and intervened, asking me to go inside and get him a coke before I snapped this lady's head off.

I'd work this job for half the pay if I could put up a sign that reads: "IF YOUR KIDS ARE DROWNING, I WILL SAVE THEM. DON'T COME NEAR ME OTHERWISE."

you....you actually thought lifeguarding was a job where you didn't interact with people. I'm sorry, but that was stupid.

I'm a lifguard, and I can honestly say that only about 1/3 of my job is actually doing actual "lifeguarding"

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The teachers came back today. Students come back Wednesday. Where the hell did my summer go this year?

Fellhand on
    edited August 2007
    wunderbar wrote: »

you....you actually thought lifeguarding was a job where you didn't interact with people. I'm sorry, but that was stupid.

I'm a lifguard, and I can honestly say that only about 1/3 of my job is actually doing actual "lifeguarding"

Everytime I'd seen a lifeguard before, they were always just sitting still, not being bothered :(

Bikkstah on
  • brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Fellhand wrote: »
    The teachers came back today. Students come back Wednesday. Where the hell did my summer go this year?

By the wayside for me, I didn't even get a vacation...

brandotheninjamaster on
    edited August 2007

Everytime I'd seen a lifeguard before, they were always just sitting still, not being bothered :(

like I said, 1/3 of the job. people don't realize how much work being a lifeguard is :P

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    edited August 2007

you just shut the fuck up. How many jobs are there where someone gets about 8 weeks off for summer, EVERY SINGLE YEAR?

My mom works in a school(Teacher Assistant), and it's amazing the stories she tells me about how much teachers bitch about how the summer is too short, and that they should get more(!!!!!) holidays. My mom gets 6 weeks off for summer, and while she doesn't like going back, she still appreciates the fact that she has pretty much the whole summer off, every year.

8 weeks summer, 2 weeks christmas, 1 week spring break. that's 11 weeks of holidays a year.

Ya........sorry if I don't feel sorry for you.

also, sorry if I'm being a bit bitchy. I'm in my first year of a new job, I don't even get holidays yet. Then I get.....3 whole weeks next year.

wunderbar on
    edited August 2007

you just shut the fuck up. How many jobs are there where someone gets about 8 weeks off for summer, EVERY SINGLE YEAR?

My mom works in a school(Teacher Assistant), and it's amazing the stories she tells me about how much teachers bitch about how the summer is too short, and that they should get more(!!!!!) holidays. My mom gets 6 weeks off for summer, and while she doesn't like going back, she still appreciates the fact that she has pretty much the whole summer off, every year.

8 weeks summer, 2 weeks christmas, 1 week spring break. that's 11 weeks of holidays a year.

also, sorry if I'm being a bit bitchy. I'm in my first year of a new job, I don't even get holidays yet. Then I get.....3 whole weeks next year.

I work all year long. I'm a network administrator, not a teacher. I could have been a janitor for all you know, but hey thanks for jumping down my throat all the same.

Fellhand on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I'm taking two days next week. That's my vacation.

Or Bioshock time, as I like to call it.

Evander on
    edited August 2007
    Evander wrote: »

I'm taking two days next week. That's my vacation.

Or Bioshock time, as I like to call it.

I tried changing jobs two months ago and they told me I'd get two sick days and one personal day for the first year and one week of vacation time. I was less then thrilled because now I have 130 sick hours and 120 personal hours. I tend to not take vacations and insted use the time up an hour here an hour there.

Fellhand on
    edited August 2007
    well, I'm the intern here, so I get paid hourly, and all.

But I asked my boss to keep my on part-time during the school year, and then told him that I wanted to start up part time on the 3rd (today is my last day full time)

classes don't start until wednesday, which means that monday and tuesday are finally my first reall days off all summer.

Evander on
    edited August 2007
    I get 2 weeks a year, I never take them. At the end of the year, that's 2 extra weeks of pay.

Bikkstah on
  • NofrikinfuNNofrikinfuN Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Ha.

I've worked here for three years and the only two days I missed work were level 3 emergencies during the winter. I don't get a single day of vacation time, nor do I get paid for holidays.

Temporary is a label far too easily abused.

That said, it's pretty much the best gig in town for someone like me. Besides, I wouldn't be able to maek poast here if not for this job. Still, I wouldn't mind a few benefits, ffs. My wisdom teeth are giving me a migraine.

NofrikinfuN on
    edited August 2007
    Temporary is a label far too easily abused.

My buddy worked at IBM in Poughkeepsie and they had a chemical spill. Rather than send in the contractors in with the canary (it's a machine that detects hazardous fumes) they decided to use interns because "it's cheaper".

Fellhand on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Well, if those interns know what they are about, it would be a lot more expensive. What with lawsuits and stuff. Or fines, or whatever.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I work all year long. I'm a network administrator, not a teacher. I could have been a janitor for all you know, but hey thanks for jumping down my throat all the same.

And teachers dont get paid, if anything at all, much during the summer. Also, most teachers I know (my mom used to be one) usually end up having to grade papers and do lessons plans and the like after school hours and over weekends. And if you're one of those awesome teachers, you probably do even more work on your own time

ronzo on
    edited August 2007
    my mother always picks up a summer job, I know that much

Evander on
  • BoilerbirdBoilerbird Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I get 2 weeks a year, I never take them. At the end of the year, that's 2 extra weeks of pay.

Do you not get paid for vacation days, or do you get paid extra for vacation days you don't take? The first would kind of suck for a salaried position, the latter would just be weird.

Boilerbird on
    "The Lord of Murder shall perish. But in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos will be sown from their passage."
    -So sayeth the wise Alaundo

Mario Kart friend code: 227.692.747.075
    Tetris friend code: 742.696.731.030
    Pokemon code: 2921 5590 8486
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 0602-5937-3565
    edited August 2007
    ronzo wrote: »
    And teachers dont get paid, if anything at all, much during the summer. Also, most teachers I know (my mom used to be one) usually end up having to grade papers and do lessons plans and the like after school hours and over weekends. And if you're one of those awesome teachers, you probably do even more work on your own time

It's a sensitive subject, but saying they don't get paid all summer isn't exactly true. They sign contracts for a predetermined amount (salary) and they are guarenteed that amount, just as I am. Saying that they don't get paid much in the summer is like saying they don't know how to budget. A lot of the teachers I know do have second jobs in the summer (some even in the school year). One of the teachers that I do computer work on the side for paints houses in the summer so he can afford to fly down and vacation at his place in the Bahamas.

I'm not saying teaching isn't a noble profession and I'm not saying it's not hard work, but to me it's not really different from any other professional job. You even sign a contract when you start working so you know what you're going to make and you know when you take the job what's expected of you.

Fellhand on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    When working in retail I was allowed to have one week a year to take a vacation. But the funny thing is when you try and take that week vacation they get all pissed off at you for wanting a week off.

Then if you don't take it they get pissed off that you didn't take it and corporate is coming down hard on them about it.

I'm working a temp job right now, and I go in even if I'm sick as a dog... I can't afford to miss a day and lose some hours.

urahonky on
  • NofrikinfuNNofrikinfuN Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    When working in retail I was allowed to have one week a year to take a vacation. But the funny thing is when you try and take that week vacation they get all pissed off at you for wanting a week off.

Then if you don't take it they get pissed off that you didn't take it and corporate is coming down hard on them about it.

I'm working a temp job right now, and I go in even if I'm sick as a dog... I can't afford to miss a day and lose some hours.

Same. I had some kind of stomach flu recently and was
    shitting water, sometimes several times in the span of an hour
    for 4-5 days. Still made it to work every day. (Made sure I took Immodium before and during work, luckily without incident.)

Matter of fact, right now I have a migraine which tylenol did absolutely nothing for, but I'm still not going to clock out early. Sucks.

NofrikinfuN on
  • KealohaKealoha Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hm, I'll see how much I can remember.

I started working at the movie theater this summer so I have money for spendin in college. I got the job easily cause my brother used to work there, but it turns out the place is really annoying.

First, I'm working concession, so I've got the worst when it comes to interaction with the public. We have combos, which I am encouraged to offer to each and every patron. Most of them say no without even looking at what they actually include, and then proceed to order exactly what is in a combo, forcing me to re-ring shit up and sometimes redo orders I've already started because packaging is different for some combo items, and stock will be fucked otherwise. I realize this is a really trivial thing, but the added time is annoying when I've got a super long line of customers. On slow days I could care less, though.

Also, people seem to be unable to comprehend the fact that no, we can not give you a small bag with your large popcorn, and no we cannot give you a large cup of water for free. Some people don't understand the idea of inventory and stock, apparently. We have small cups we can give them, though, but most of the time I get at least a few people who bitch about those, too.

Fortunately, that's about all I've got to gripe about when it comes to customers. I was expecting that to be the worst part of the job, but the co-workers are actually far, far worse.

There is this one guy who has no respect for anything there. He's incredibly obnoxious, too. Regardless of the amount of people in the lobby, the kid will just start making random, loud noises or dumb, senseless phrases and then bust out laughing after. An example: "I'm gonna put my butter in your snutter!" Also, some kid left one of those mini basketballs in the theater one day and it's been in there ever since. So, people play with it, which is no big deal, usually. Until one day this kid takes it and shoves it into his popcorn bin and grinds it into it, making sure every area has been touched with this disgusting ball. And then, sometimes for no reason he just punches the popcorn in the bin. When it comes to cleaning, he's nearly as bad. He half asses everything, which makes whoever he is working with look bad, too. He justifies all of this by saying, "This isn't some multi-million dollar company, you don't need to hassle for some shit place like this."

And I'll just sum up a few others: Two of the people working there have little <5 year old kids, and they bring them in with them sometimes for hours on end. And these kids run around and yell, acting like demons in front of customers. This happens on busy days, even.

Another guy, in addition to being terrible at cleaning, treats one of the managers like shit and acts like a baby when he doesn't get his way. One day he tried to get the manager to give him his paycheck like 2 days early, and when he didn't he came back into the lobby with his head down, eyes nearly watering and says to me, "Man, I fucking hate him." Note that we've got a memo posted that states that paychecks are not to be distributed early, and if it gets back to whomever that a manager is breaking protocol, he/she will be fired.

There are only like 4 people there I can stand, and they don't even seem to work the same shifts as me, which is a shame. Luckily Monday is my last day there until winter break.

Kealoha on
    !! ! ! !!
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    man, that sucks that you have such shitty coworkers. i worked in a theater my last couple years of college, and while the patrons were every bit as idiotic and uninformed as you can imagine, my coworkers were pretty much totally awesome. it didn't hurt that i was friends with half the management before i started, either.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Oh man Keal I would have murdered someone already in your situation. You've got more class than I do it seems.

urahonky on
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Keal, I understand man.

I worked at a theater for a year.

Try to get into projection as soon as possible.

I didn't quite make it soon enough and had to quit, or I was gonna murder someone.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • JacksNsomniaJacksNsomnia Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I like shrink wrapping stuff :D

JacksNsomnia on
    24584849if1gs7.jpg
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Houk wrote: »
    yeah, the US has canada dry. i dunno how popular it is compared to vernors, but it's pretty big.

It's the only big brand name ginger ale I've seen in Japan.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

It's the fumes, right? :rotate:

chamberlain on
    edited August 2007
    Boilerbird wrote: »

Do you not get paid for vacation days, or do you get paid extra for vacation days you don't take? The first would kind of suck for a salaried position, the latter would just be weird.

They are paid vacation (leave days). I am not required to take them, so if I don't use them all year, I get my full salary + the two weeks of paid leave. So really I work 365 days a year and get paid for working 379. (Army). When I'm in Iraq, I get 3? (I think it's 4 or 5 now and they want to make it more) days of leave per month in combat, so when I leave in December, I'll get like 2 months of leave. If I don't take them, I'll still get paid for them at the end of the year in addition to my salary, which is cool because when you get back from Iraq they give you a month of terminal leave (do whatever the fuck you want; smoke some pot, eat mcdonald's 4 times a day for a month, not required to report in) anyways and then a few months of restricted leave (you gotta do PT in the morning and be back on base by lights out), so it's not like you need it. Most of the guys took those 36 days while they were in iraq though (block leave, they give you a block of 36 days to go home and you take it or leave it, you can't mix it up).

Bikkstah on
  • gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Evander wrote: »
    my mother always picks up a summer job, I know that much
    Yeah, so do I. :winky:

gilrain on
  • Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I work for a medium sized public company, in IT. We have around 3,000 employees. I manage our messaging environment, primarily consisting of a few clusters running Exchange 2003. We also have some other products for handheld messaging, anti-spam, etc.

I'm not sure if I have to words to describe my loathing for certain people I work with. Fortunately, it's nobody I work with in my group. But there are people outside of my group who are influential, and they are morons. Dangerous morons with power. They're making our lives hell.

We also have the world's least reliable SAN, which is not good when so many critical apps (including Exchange, 5 SQL clusters, lots of Oracle stuff, etc) all use SAN attached storage.

I don't think I can get too specific without my head asploding, some of these people leave me so enraged I go numb.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    FFBFBFBBFBFBBFWBFWWWFWFWWWFWWWW
    BFEWEFBEBEEEEFEEWWWWEEWWEWWWWW

God, my ears.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Keal, I understand man.

I didn't quite make it soon enough and had to quit, or I was gonna murder someone.

Projection is the best job in the world. It's also almost impossible to get up there too. We only had 4 projections including myself when I worked at the theatre. I could come in the back door and leave out the back door and not see anyone all day. Whenever someone would come up into the booth it would scare the shit out of me because you can't hear anything over the projectors.

I'd say a more reasonable goal is to get up to box. They put all the cute girls in box <3 Be happy they put you on concession though. Ushers are usually the most retarded group of people because it's such an easy job and they don't have to talk to the customers.

Also your managers need to grow some balls about this douche you work with. I destroyed people I worked with who were slackers.

YodaTuna on
  • JacksNsomniaJacksNsomnia Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Some damn customer just ruined the ending of Bioshock for me :(... I banned him from the store for the rest of the week.

JacksNsomnia on
    24584849if1gs7.jpg
  • MHYoshimitzuMHYoshimitzu Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    urahonky wrote: »

I had my wisdom teeth pulled and put down that I wanted to use my sick hours for it, but I never got paid for them.

I took vacation this year too, and the same deal, did not get paid for them.

My boss "interpreted" the policy in such a way as to make it impossible for anyone with any sort of problem to get money out of the company. I've read the policy, and so has the HR lady, and we both agree that the policy is clear about getting sick and vacation time: you apply for it, and you get it. He's pulling some bullshit out of his ass about you having to be out for three days, and then on the fourth day your vacation time starts, which is not only not in the policy, it's a huge lie.

The HR lady lost 30 hours of vacation time last year because of this same problem, and we're currently both arguing with him about it, but I know it's not going to go anywhere. He's the sort of boss who will "look into" things and then throw the paperwork out and hope you never bring it up again.

---

Another thing, TRU higher-ups. Signing people up for credit cards is not the end-all, be all of the world, and when the store doesn't meet quotas, don't be huge assholes about it and make me stop what I'm doing and go out on the floor to convince people to ruin their credit. When I achieve the highest quotas in the store and meet a third of the store's goals BY MYSELF, the next day, when I'm only in for a four hour shift and I don't get anything, you do NOT lecture me on how I don't know how to ask people to sign up for a credit card properly. I am perfectly capable of doing it, you guys just need to understand that it's a completely circumstantial situation and I can only ASK someone, not force them to sign up for a credit card. If I have four customers in the morning and none want a credit card, do not question my ability to do my job. I hate you, go die in a fire.

I need a new job.

MHYoshimitzu on
    sig.gif
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    ronzo wrote: »

It's a sensitive subject, but saying they don't get paid all summer isn't exactly true. They sign contracts for a predetermined amount (salary) and they are guarenteed that amount, just as I am. Saying that they don't get paid much in the summer is like saying they don't know how to budget. A lot of the teachers I know do have second jobs in the summer (some even in the school year). One of the teachers that I do computer work on the side for paints houses in the summer so he can afford to fly down and vacation at his place in the Bahamas.

I'm not saying teaching isn't a noble profession and I'm not saying it's not hard work, but to me it's not really different from any other professional job. You even sign a contract when you start working so you know what you're going to make and you know when you take the job what's expected of you.

I agree with fellhand here. Used to be even (I dont know if this still works) teachers would collect unemployment during summers if they played the system right. The job is you get paid salary and your paid for your summers, I know in this area you are given the option of setting your paychecks to be even, and have them come during the summer, so you never miss a beat like working a regular job.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • KealohaKealoha Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    YodaTuna wrote: »
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Keal, I understand man.

Projection is the best job in the world. It's also almost impossible to get up there too. We only had 4 projections including myself when I worked at the theatre. I could come in the back door and leave out the back door and not see anyone all day. Whenever someone would come up into the booth it would scare the shit out of me because you can't hear anything over the projectors.

I'd say a more reasonable goal is to get up to box. They put all the cute girls in box <3 Be happy they put you on concession though. Ushers are usually the most retarded group of people because it's such an easy job and they don't have to talk to the customers.

Also your managers need to grow some balls about this douche you work with. I destroyed people I worked with who were slackers.

We have all hi-def digital projectors/sound. It's quite fancy, though everything else is still shitty. All they require is that a manager "build" the movies somehow and press a button to start it at the right time. People reminisce about the past projectionists, though, so they mustn't have kept to themselves, too much.

Kealoha on
    !! ! ! !!