As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Suggestion for No-Purge Threads

ArisaArisa Registered User regular
Greetings! Sorry if this has been brought up before, I did a search and a quick sweep of the past few pages; so if I missed and made a duplicate topic, please feel free to berate me until I run crying back to the AC/G&T.

For the meat of the topic: It'd be nice to have threads that didn't purge, especially for the AC. Folks tend to do huge art dumps once a month or so, sometimes longer between.

The problem is these threads often get purged if the artist can't tend to them, and fishing through half a dozen bumps to find commentary makes the process rather messy. Also, asking a Mod to clean a bumped thread is sortof tedious.

Making a Sticky out of such threads would all too quickly clutter the forum; but allowing these threads to slowly drift toward the last few pages of the forum only to not be purged so they may be found and later revived would be grand. The threads could be made no-purge by a Moderator, so that users weren't randomly making no-purge threads whoring out their comic or asking dumb questions that would later have to be manually removed.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I'm not sure if it would have any grand application anywhere else, but it'd be hella nifty if it were possible. ^_^

Arisa on

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited March 2005
    Maybe an AC chatlog?

Tube on
  • ArisaArisa Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    I dunno? It'd be nice if these threads didn't leave the AC. The purpose would be so that artists don't have to make new threads every time they want to dump 10+ images for critiques.

Arisa on
  • ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    I could lower the prune rate, but by default all you have to do is bump a topic once every three months. Do you guys need more time than that? I guess I could make it 6 months, there are not a large ammount of threads made. The true solution for this comes when phpBB 3 is released, or I get pissed off and make my own forum software.

Älphämönkëy on
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    Mass-sticky in the meantime?

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • ArisaArisa Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    Mass-sticky would be way too cluttered, Paladin; though it would offer more exposure to the artists... even if it would take up the entire first page. ^_^

Alpha -- Thanks for the info, and consideration. ^_^

Arisa on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited April 2005
    Hmmm....

I see what you're saying, but I'm not sure if it's entirely necessary for what you're talking about- 3 months is a long time. Also, I actually prefer it when the dumps are split up, since the critiques are more focused on newer things rather than stuff that was done 6 months or a year previously- threads that have multiple dumps in them tend to peter out because it makes it difficult to find the newer stuff to crit in the middle of the thread, and plus people simply stop looking at them. Ex: Ken's thread. He was getting a lot of crits at the start, but for his newer stuff he's getting less and less feedback.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited April 2005
    or I get pissed off and make my own forum software.

No! We have other things to work on.

;)

Unknown User on
  • OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2005

;)

Yeah, you're supposed to make me a sandwitch.

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited April 2005
    Orthanc wrote:

;)

How about spelling lessons before that sandwich, eh, Chief?

Unknown User on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    Orthanc wrote:

;)

What, you haven't had a sand witch before? They're hot.

Henroid on
    edited April 2005
    Speaking of which, Alpha, remember when you said you'd consider giving out the results of the survey after you fixed the forums? I'm still interested.

Paladin on
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    Paladin wrote:
    Speaking of which, Alpha, remember when you said you'd consider giving out the results of the survey after you fixed the forums? I'm still interested.
    What survey? :?:

Henroid on
    edited April 2005
    Henroid wrote:
    Paladin wrote:
    What survey? :?:
    The one we took way, way back - I keep thinking that Ramius administered it - anyway, when I brought it up the first time Alpha knew what I was talking about - I think.

Paladin on
  • OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2005
    Henroid wrote:
    Orthanc wrote:

;)

What, you haven't had a sand witch before? They're hot.
    Spelling is for the week.

Orthanc on
    orthanc