As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Simpsons Movie arrives... May god have mercy on us all

DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
edited August 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
So tonight is the world premiere of The Simpsons Movie, as far as I know. I've seen the trailers, you've seen the trailers. To me, the whole situation seems rather dire. How about you? Cautious optimism, or violent disgust?

Also, why is McBain now Arnold?

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
DodgeBlan on

• Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    :whistle: spider-pig, spider-pig... :whistle:

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So, it's been announced already, but just in case you've been avoiding plot points I'll throw down a spoiler tag:
    Bart & his cartoonish, full frontal nudity.

I don't know how I feel about this. Sadly, I am looking forward to the made-for-tv Futurama movies more than Simpsons.

Actually, I just miss Futurama.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    itylusitylus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    So, it's been announced already, but just in case you've been avoiding plot points I'll throw down a spoiler tag:

I don't know how I feel about this. Sadly, I am looking forward to the made-for-tv Futurama movies more than Simpsons.

I thought they were resuming making Futurama as a regular series? You mean it's just going to be a couple of brief, cruel flashes of hope before it plunges back into the darkness forever? :'(

itylus on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    itylus wrote: »

I thought they were resuming making Futurama as a regular series? You mean it's just going to be a couple of brief, cruel flashes of hope before it plunges back into the darkness forever? :'(
    Yeah, pretty much. Hopefully they get a ton of high ratings and the DVDs make a crapton of cash, maybe then we can get the series back up and running.

I have a source here somewhere, lemme see if I can find it.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    kaz67kaz67 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I will probably go see it, my expectations aren't high so I won't be too disappointed if it sucks.

kaz67 on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I can't seem to find my original source, but Wikipedia has a better update as to the Futurama "movies" than my source did anyway:
    Wikipedia wrote:
    After the successful revival of the Family Guy series, 20th Century Fox Television approached Futurama co-creator Matt Groening to produce a direct-to-DVD Futurama movie. On April 26, 2006, Groening noted in an interview that co-creator David X. Cohen and numerous writers from the original series would be returning to work on the movies.[46] On June 22, 2006, Comedy Central announced that at least 13 new episodes were to be produced. Comedy Central also confirmed that Billy West, Katey Sagal, and John DiMaggio would return for the new episodes, with a 2008 debut planned.[2] According to an interview with Cohen, as of December 2006 the Futurama team were around half way through writing the new season, and Rough Draft Studios had just started animating.[47]

The first movie, Futurama: Bender's Big Score is written by Ken Keeler and Cohen, and will include return appearances by the Nibblonians, Seymour, Barbados Slim, Morbo, Robot Santa, the "God" space entity, Al Gore, and Zapp Brannigan.[48] In an appearance on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Al Gore confirmed that he would appear as his disembodied head. Cohen has said that Gore would be involved in a storyline which will "show what really determined the outcome of the 2000 Presidential election".[47]

In February 2007, Groening clarified speculation as to whether Futurama had been revived in episodic or feature-film form, saying "[The crew is] writing them as movies and then we're going to chop them up, reconfigure them, write new material and try to make them work as separate episodes."[49] In June 2007 the Internet Movie Database listed titles for the four Futurama movies as Futurama: Bender's Big Score, Futurama: The Beast with a Billion Backs, Futurama: Bender's Game, and Futurama: Into The Wild, Green Yonder.
    So yeah, while being made as full-length movies, they will be edited into episode versions for a "new season" to air on Comedy Central.

2008, you cannot get here soon enough.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    itylusitylus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Well... I guess if all of us PROMISE to buy TEN COPIES each of the DVDs then we should be OK...

itylus on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I can't seem to find my original source, but Wikipedia has a better update as to the Futurama "movies" than my source did anyway:
    Wikipedia wrote:
    After the successful revival of the Family Guy series, 20th Century Fox Television approached Futurama co-creator Matt Groening to produce a direct-to-DVD Futurama movie. On April 26, 2006, Groening noted in an interview that co-creator David X. Cohen and numerous writers from the original series would be returning to work on the movies.[46] On June 22, 2006, Comedy Central announced that at least 13 new episodes were to be produced. Comedy Central also confirmed that Billy West, Katey Sagal, and John DiMaggio would return for the new episodes, with a 2008 debut planned.[2] According to an interview with Cohen, as of December 2006 the Futurama team were around half way through writing the new season, and Rough Draft Studios had just started animating.[47]

The first movie, Futurama: Bender's Big Score is written by Ken Keeler and Cohen, and will include return appearances by the Nibblonians, Seymour, Barbados Slim, Morbo, Robot Santa, the "God" space entity, Al Gore, and Zapp Brannigan.[48] In an appearance on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Al Gore confirmed that he would appear as his disembodied head. Cohen has said that Gore would be involved in a storyline which will "show what really determined the outcome of the 2000 Presidential election".[47]

In February 2007, Groening clarified speculation as to whether Futurama had been revived in episodic or feature-film form, saying "[The crew is] writing them as movies and then we're going to chop them up, reconfigure them, write new material and try to make them work as separate episodes."[49] In June 2007 the Internet Movie Database listed titles for the four Futurama movies as Futurama: Bender's Big Score, Futurama: The Beast with a Billion Backs, Futurama: Bender's Game, and Futurama: Into The Wild, Green Yonder.
    So yeah, while being made as full-length movies, they will be edited into episode versions for a "new season" to air on Comedy Central.

2008, you cannot get here soon enough.

Written is quite differentfrom actually made

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I know it's not exactly fair to judge an entire movie by its trailers, but goddamn. I used to be an enormous Simpsons fan, and the trailers are just... pathetic. I realize this is another "OH BUT BACK IN THE DAY" stance, but the writing is just shit nowadays. Simpsons used to be a series that had outstanding dialogue, but now it's just a mishmash of astonishing unsubtle catchphrases and forced, unfunny self-irony. I mean, I don't give a shit what the story is about (even if it does look stupid), as long as the writing is good. All indications point to no.

HAHA HOMER KILLS FISH WITH A BUG ZAPPER AND ELECTRICITY LOL

Fuck that noise.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Written is quite differentfrom actually made
    Aren't we a spoil-sport?

Comedy Central bought the rights to air the new (and old) episodes in 2008. I think they would be pissed if said episodes were not complete by then.

Since the crew has been brought back together and the movies were "half-written" in February, it is safe to assume that it is past the writing part and in pre-production if not production at the moment.

Hence they are being made.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I believe this is written by the old writers.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Might get this on DVD when it comes out, but not that excited by it. Kind of 'meh' about the whole thing.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The thing with the new Simpsons is there is no heart to it. All of the old Simpsons episodes used to have some sort of moral stance (whether ironic or not) that never seemed sappy or forced. As crazy as the show was, that heart, that anchor into reality, kept the show from being just... well, fucking wierd.

Now the show is simply one surreal thing after another. It's too self-referential AND self-reverential.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I believe this is written by the old writers.

Yes, I've heard the same thing, but I'm not totally convinced that this changes anything whatsoever.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I want to see it, but I haven't seen anything after season eight, so I'm afraid that it'll spoil later episodes.

Samphis on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm on the fence about this movie. On the one hand, I *WANT* it to be good. On the other, I don't expect that to happen.

I think I might wait to see how it gets reviewed by people I can trust.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Samphis wrote: »
    I want to see it, but I haven't seen anything after season eight, so I'm afraid that it'll spoil later episodes.
    ... That's not how Simpsons work!

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Low KeyLow Key Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Cherrn wrote: »
    I know it's not exactly fair to judge an entire movie by its trailers, but goddamn. I used to be an enormous Simpsons fan, and the trailers are just... pathetic. I realize this is another "OH BUT BACK IN THE DAY" stance, but the writing is just shit nowadays. Simpsons used to be a series that had outstanding dialogue, but now it's just a mishmash of astonishing unsubtle catchphrases and forced, unfunny self-irony. I mean, I don't give a shit what the story is about (even if it does look stupid), as long as the writing is good. All indications point to no.

HAHA HOMER KILLS FISH WITH A BUG ZAPPER AND ELECTRICITY LOL

Fuck that noise.

The basic story is pretty dumb and and basically like any fairly average Simpsons episode. In fact, I'm pretty sure all the basic subplots... pollution threatens Springfield, Lisa likes a boy, Homer has to prove his worth as a father as dad to Bart etc have been done half a dozen times before and better. But the writing's pretty good and has a few decent laughs. Also, the extra effort put into the animation is nice.

Also, Spider Pig does the things a spider does. The film needed more Spider Pig.

Low Key on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I am going to see this shit opening night.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The Simpsons provided endless entertainment for a long, long time. It was one of my favourite shows.

I owe it to them to watch this movie, I think.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

You're not seriously worried about spoilers for the Simpsons, are you?

captaink on
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    captaink wrote: »

Well, not really. But I don't want to miss out on stuff like finding out that funny supporting characters are dead or someone got killed by a T-shirt cannon.

Samphis on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

Well, not really. But I don't want to miss out on stuff like finding out that funny supporting characters are dead or someone got killed by a T-shirt cannon.

That's silly. None of that stuff is on Simpsons for OMG shock value, like it is on Harry Potter or something. The only reason characters die on the Simpsons is that their voice actors die or quit. Actually, just if they quit, I think Troy McClure just vanished:cry:

Additionally, I'm pretty sure no one's died the past few seasons anyways.

captaink on
  • Options
    Pants ManPants Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

That's silly. None of that stuff is on Simpsons for OMG shock value, like it is on Harry Potter or something. The only reason characters die on the Simpsons is that their voice actors die or quit. Actually, just if they quit, I think Troy McClure just vanished:cry:

Additionally, I'm pretty sure no one's died the past few seasons anyways.

is this a joke?

Pants Man on
    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I laughed out loud quite a few times while watching preview clips for the Simpsons movie. The stories and characters may have gone down the shitter long ago but it's hard to fault them for comeidic timing, physical gags and one-liners. In the big picture, aka, the span of the entire episode, the show is all over the place and usually pretty terrible in terms of story, but underneath the crap you sometimes find some golden moments in there. I'v watched new episodes (read: any from the past 4 years) and been completley unimpressed, but every so often they will get a fantastic joke in there completley out of the blue. I'm optomistic for the movie as it looks like they are going for 'as many gags as possible in 90 munites', and of what I'v seen of the movie so far a lot of those gags are pretty damn good since, apparentley, they have got many of the origonal writers back for the movie.

Apparentley EVERY living Simpsons character is in the movie somewhere, I forsee a 'Where's Waldo?' type thread after the movie is out where people try and point out where they saw Lionel Hutz or Gill or many other random characters.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The Simpsons has too many characters.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    I went to the Kwik-E-Mart and got some Krusty O's

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Noone gives a shit about a good 90% of the characters in the Simpsons so shoehorning them into the movie is just pretty god damn sad.

On a side note however, i find then when you watch something in a cinema, the atmosphere makes stuff funnier. There are comedies I've watched where I won't laugh out loud normally buty watch them in the cinema and you get caught up with other people and stuff becomes funnier then it actually is.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    I am not sure if I want to see the first showing on Thur at 11:59 pm or Friday at 9:30.. It is hard for my friends to go on a thur.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    GoldAgainstTheSoulGoldAgainstTheSoul Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    not interested in the least.

stopped watching the simpsons 8 years ago.

GoldAgainstTheSoul on
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    I hope the movie flunks and the TV show is finally canceled.

ege02 on
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ege02 wrote: »

Yeah and as long as we're dreaming, I'd like a pony.

:roll:

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ege02 wrote: »

Yeah and as long as we're dreaming, I'd like a pony.

:roll:

Simpsons is making money, and is a "cultural phenomenon" and a very strong brand. Its not going away.

muninn on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Hey guys, remember when the SImpsons halloween episodes kicked ass?

The toy is cursed
    Thats bad
    But it comes with a free frogurt!
    Thats good
    The frogurt is also cursed
    Thats bad
    The frogurt contains potassium sodemate (no idea)
    Thats bad
    Can I go now?

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2007
    I bet the movie will have Homer and Marge's marriage on the rocks! Something we haven't seen 100 times before!

I'm going to see it, but I have zero expectations.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    They had me at Spider-Pig

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I bet the movie will have Homer and Marge's marriage on the rocks! Something we haven't seen 100 times before!

Maybe they'll do something new lik Homer stops being a great dad and selfless. A complete personality flip to shake things up.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2007

Maybe they'll do something new lik Homer stops being a great dad and selfless. A complete personality flip to shake things up.
    See, Homer use to be a lazy, but ultimately GOOD father that did try. In the "shit" seasons, "jerkass Homer" is basically negligent to the point of abusive and never really cares. They have basically bastardized Homer for one-liners and piss-poor jokes because they can't write anymore.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

There was a joke a while back in Simpsons making fun of movies based on TV shows.

"It is like the TV show except with the plot stretched out over an hour or two!"

Couscous on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

See, Homer use to be a lazy, but ultimately GOOD father that did try. In the "shit" seasons, "jerkass Homer" is basically negligent to the point of abusive and never really cares. They have basically bastardized Homer for one-liners and piss-poor jokes because they can't write anymore.

To be fair, what else is there to write about? They're past the 400 episode count now, right?

Vincent Grayson on