As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Softer Side of [chat]

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh, does anyone know if there's anyway to remove the blue dot from threads you have posted in? I posted in a couple threads when they started, mainly tangental comments or jokes, and really don't care that I've posted in them before. I really don't need them standing out at me anymore.

LaOs on
  • Options
    DiscGraceDiscGrace Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Eww, my sister has to get her tonsils out. Apparently she has chronically infected "cryptic tonsils". That means her tonsils are full of little pits ("crypts"), not that they are particularly mysterious or hard to decipher.

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The reason is simple.

Burgers are made from cows. Cows eat vegetables. When the burgers met the vegetables in your stomach, the cows ate all the vegetables and left you with nothing except cow poop.

I chuckled

LaOs on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    LaOs wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    Yes, yes, I would, I would!

Pleeeeeease let me bounce it!

Don't you have multiple interns to entertain yourself with?

They don't bounce very well. :(

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    I have connections.

:wink:
    Steam?

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    oh gof
    BOSTON, Massachusetts (AP) -- A federal judge Thursday ordered the government to pay more than $101 million in the case of four men who spent decades in prison for a 1965 murder they didn't commit after the FBI withheld evidence of their innocence.

The FBI encouraged perjury, helped frame the four men and withheld for more than three decades information that could have cleared them, U.S. District Judge Nancy Gertner said in issuing her ruling Thursday.

She called the government's argument that the FBI had no duty to get involved in the state case "absurd."

Peter Limone, Joseph Salvati and the families of the two other men who died in prison had sued the federal government for malicious prosecution.

They argued that Boston FBI agents knew mob hitman Joseph "the Animal" Barboza lied when he named the men as killers in the 1965 death of Edward Deegan. They said Barboza was protecting a fellow FBI informant, Vincent "Jimmy" Flemmi, who was involved.

The four men convicted on Barboza's lies were treated as "acceptable collateral damage" because the FBI's priority at the time was taking down the Mafia, their attorneys said.

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh, does anyone know if there's anyway to remove the blue dot from threads you have posted in? I posted in a couple threads when they started, mainly tangental comments or jokes, and really don't care that I've posted in them before. I really don't need them standing out at me anymore.
    You can unsubscribe from them in your Control Panel. Is that what you mean? :?

Anyway, I'm off to bed, try not to break anything of value tonight.

Aldo on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I fucking hate old people.

Elendil on
  • Options
    DiscGraceDiscGrace Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So, in a stroke of lame, my office has finally blocked PA. I can't post now :(

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Elendil wrote: »
    I fucking hate old people.

:whistle:
    Imagine me and you, I do
    I think about you day and night, it's only right
    To think about the girl you love and hold her tight
    So happy together

If I should call you up, invest a dime
    And you say you belong to me and ease my mind
    Imagine how the world could be, so very fine
    So happy together

I can't see me lovin' nobody but you
    For all my life
    When you're with me, baby the skies'll be blue
    For all my life

:whistle:

Gim on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yes, yes, I would, I would!

Pleeeeeease let me bounce it!

Don't you have multiple interns to entertain yourself with?

They don't bounce very well. :(

That is a shame. You should add that requirement to the job description. HR should know better what you're looking for.

LaOs on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Aldo wrote: »
    You can unsubscribe from them in your Control Panel. Is that what you mean? :?

Anyway, I'm off to bed, try not to break anything of value tonight.

I will check.
    Thanks.

[Edit]
    It did not work. Thanks, though.

LaOs on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So, does anyone (other than Hacksaw) have Beyond the Sword? Is it all we hoped for?
    Yes and Yes. It puts Warlords to shame.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    So, does anyone (other than Hacksaw) have Beyond the Sword? Is it all we hoped for?

In what ways?

LaOs on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

In what ways?
    The new scenarios each feature significant rule changes. They aren't simply just games that start with a certain arrangement of civilisations, they change the game in a fundamental way (one for example changes religions os that Great Prophets let you call down divine wrath and the God you worship gives you access to special promotions).

The new map types are also really well done. Rainforest maps are 90% jungle with expanses of desert and small pools of water. The rarity of resources is entirely different. When you play on a Rainforest map you need brand new strategies to cope with shitty growth and production.

And random events, it was unthinkable that they weren't included in the base pack, but now they are here and they spice things up and give you a reason to keep a couple of hundred gold in case something happens.

There's a whole load of other stuff too, like corporations (which don't yet work and need to be patched) but I've picked out what I think are the best bits.

Warlords added three main features: Unique buildings, Great Generals and Vassal States. BtS adds everything that Warlords did except for the scenarios. I actually regret buying it, BtS is just much better and I have been playing a whole lot of Civ4 as a result.

There are still late game problems though, but it might just be that I tend to get bored around the advent of gunpowder when the maps tend to fill up and there is nothing left to do but settle in or have a war or two.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    'Feministing' is a bit too close to 'fisting' for my comfort. But that probably speaks very poorly of me, if anything.

Gim on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited July 2007

In what ways?
    The new scenarios each feature significant rule changes. They aren't simply just games that start with a certain arrangement of civilisations, they change the game in a fundamental way (one for example changes religions os that Great Prophets let you call down divine wrath and the God you worship gives you access to special promotions).

The new map types are also really well done. Rainforest maps are 90% jungle with expanses of desert and small pools of water. The rarity of resources is entirely different. When you play on a Rainforest map you need brand new strategies to cope with shitty growth and production.

And random events, it was unthinkable that they weren't included in the base pack, but now they are here and they spice things up and give you a reason to keep a couple of hundred gold in case something happens.

There's a whole load of other stuff too, like corporations (which don't yet work and need to be patched) but I've picked out what I think are the best bits.

Warlords added three main features: Unique buildings, Great Generals and Vassal States. BtS adds everything that Warlords did except for the scenarios. I actually regret buying it, BtS is just much better and I have been playing a whole lot of Civ4 as a result.

There are still late game problems though, but it might just be that I tend to get bored around the advent of gunpowder when the maps tend to fill up and there is nothing left to do but settle in or have a war or two.

Sounds like you play like I do... if I'm not in such a warmongering mood, I get bored.

What's broken about Corporations... and how are they supposed to work? Is there an ETA on the patch?

Thanks for the mini-review. Good stuff!

LaOs on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Bah, now why would I buy Warlords? Especially barely two months before BTS came out?

Well, I'm an idiot.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I am about to post a picture, posted on Photobucket by me just minutes ago. Take it as you will.

snoopy.jpg

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I'm not seeing what the deal is with that picture. Someone clue me in.

Gim on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Snoopy's Silly Sports Spectacular for the NES. A group of six Italy-themed minigames starring Snoopy.

This one is the River Jump. A classic example of 'Nintendo hard' gaming, right up there with the likes of Ninja Gaiden and Turbo Tunnel. People have tried for years- YEARS- without managing to complete the jump.

This is a screencap of me completing the jump.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Ah. I thought there was a phallic symbol in there or something.

On second thought, a friend used to play that game some. It was indeed hard as fuck. Congratulations sir.

Gim on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sorry for bugging you, Gim. :P

I'm a bit tipsy, hope you don't mind.

Edit: Aaand i'm out.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    Anonymous RobotAnonymous Robot Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Every couple of months, I try to storm Castle Shadowgate. My most recent excursion begins now.

Shadowgate.gif

Anonymous Robot on
    Sigs shouldn't be higher than 80 pixels - Elki.

photo02-film.jpg
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    Snoopy's Silly Sports Spectacular for the NES. A group of six Italy-themed minigames starring Snoopy.

This one is the River Jump. A classic example of 'Nintendo hard' gaming, right up there with the likes of Ninja Gaiden and Turbo Tunnel. People have tried for years- YEARS- without managing to complete the jump.

how?

how did you do it?

it's not "nintendo hard"... it's impossible.

what the fuck. what the fuck. how did you do it?

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Variable wrote: »
    mtvcdm wrote: »

how?

how did you do it?

it's not "nintendo hard"... it's impossible.

what the fuck. what the fuck. how did you do it?
    Hold B until the top of the jump. You tap B and you're going splash every time.

Turns out it's actually not that hard if you know what you're doing. That was actually my third success; that's how long it took for me to snag the shot I needed for proof.

Gosling on
  • Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    www.youtube.com

Notice the featured videos.

Kaputa on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I've been trying to get my hands on that game again. I haven't played it in years. as I recall that was the only part I couldn't do... although I also don't really remember everything about the game. somethnig about a sack race and carrying pizzas across a line.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    that they are almost all the same except one?

Variable on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Kaputa wrote: »
    www.youtube.com

Dare I ask what is chocolate rain?

Gim on
  • Options
    Anonymous RobotAnonymous Robot Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    www.youtube.com

Hahaha what the hell?

Anonymous Robot on
    Sigs shouldn't be higher than 80 pixels - Elki.

photo02-film.jpg
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I finally got a copy of The Yiddish Policeman's Union.

I almost didn't; all the copies Changing Hands had were irregularly cut. I'm guessing they got them at a discount that way. I realize it doesn't really make much difference, but it bothers me.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    massabayshun

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    After much research, William Riker's sole mission all along was to have sex with one of every humanoid species in the universe.

Gim on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Gim wrote: »
    After much research, William Riker's sole mission all along was to have sex with one of every humanoid species in the universe.

Your research or his?

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    www.youtube.com

I love it.

Gooey on