As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Oogie Boogies: Do you believe in them?

• Options
    As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ahahaha.

Guys I almost forgot.

This one time I went to a hypnotism class with my ex...

It was odd and didn't work out for either of us.

But this lady in the class was "hypnotized" and claimed to have been a blue wail in her past life...

...and she made...whale noises...

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sometimes I'll start thinking of a song

Then a few seconds later someone in the room will start singing it

Or I start thinking of a specific TV episode, turn on the TV that night and it'll be on

Strange things

Green on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't believe in an afterlife and I believe in causality.

So it's like... all that horrorscope and tarot shit is, well, shit.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I believe that there is at least some form of life out there in the universe, but only because the universe is so absolutely fucking huge

hi5 me too

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    the idea of a human making whale noises in a non-whale research related room is hilarious for some reason

mully on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Graves wrote: »
    WHO WANTS TO PLAY JUMANJI WITH TDOT AND I?!

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Green wrote: »

Or I start thinking of a specific TV episode, turn on the TV that night and it'll be on

Strange things
    See, the thing about these coincidences is that we only notice them precisely because THEY DON'T HAPPEN MOST OF THE TIME. So we think it's really significant when it does happen, while ignoring all the times shit like that doesn't happen. That's probability for you.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Then you've got things like miracles or whatever and it's like...

Well, those things have a chance in a million of happening if it's just random chance, right.

Miracles are super-rare as it is.

There's an infinite number of "opportunities" for things to fall into place in just the right order... miracles just appear when they all happen to hit on that one right chance.

So it looks like it's kismet... but really you just hit that one chance in a million.

They're rare enough to be that.

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    TrexyTrexy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Strange things

I have a friend who will randomly conjure up the song I'm thinking in my head.
    The song will have nothing to do with anything going on.
    Just a million little things, and similar thought processes I guess.

Trexy on
  • Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    mully wrote: »
    the idea of a human making whale noises in a non-whale research related room is hilarious for some reason

WWAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGHHHHNNNN

NNNNWWWWAAAAGGHGHHHGHHNN

Sara Lynn on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Druhim wrote: »

Strange things
    See, the thing about these coincidences is that we only notice them precisely because THEY DON'T HAPPEN MOST OF THE TIME. So we think it's really significant when it does happen, while ignoring all the times shit like that doesn't happen. That's probability for you.

Yes. Exactly.

hi5

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Seriously she was all "whooowwwwoooooaaaaaooooooooo!"

As7 on
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Sara Lynn wrote: »

NNNNWWWWAAAAGGHGHHHGHHNN

ahahahahaha
    oh god where is meissnerd
    he would enjoy this

mully on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Do they have a word for things that are like miracles, except instead of an incredible chain of coincidences culminating in something totally awesome, it's completely fucking terrible?

Shorty on
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Strange things

Once I thought I had psychic powers while listening to the radio. I'd start whistling a song and then moments later they would play it!

Then I realized it was because I listen to the same station every night at work for 2 hours at a time at the same time each night.

GET A NEW PLAYLIST ASSHOLES!

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Arsenic7 wrote: »

Seriously she was all "whooowwwwoooooaaaaaooooooooo!"

nemo_dori.jpg

can't stop hearing her whale noises in my head
    hiiiigh-larious!

mully on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Sara Lynn wrote: »

NNNNWWWWAAAAGGHGHHHGHHNN

I hear whale sounds and think of Secret of Mana.

Shorty on
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    There has to be aliens; there are too many trillion of galaxies out there for there not to be.

As for hypnosis, I don't see why not.

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Shorty wrote: »
    Do they have a word for things that are like miracles, except instead of an incredible chain of coincidences culminating in something totally awesome, it's completely fucking terrible?

I checked dictionary.com for an antonym to serendipity and it just gives me "bad luck" and "misfortune"

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Hypnosis has to be real, people get talked into doing stupid shit all the time.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    unfairendipity

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    Then you've got things like miracles or whatever and it's like...

Well, those things have a chance in a million of happening if it's just random chance, right.

Miracles are super-rare as it is.

There's an infinite number of "opportunities" for things to fall into place in just the right order... miracles just appear when they all happen to hit on that one right chance.

So it looks like it's kismet... but really you just hit that one chance in a million.

They're rare enough to be that.
    Carl Sagan wrote once about the supposed healing properties of the waters of the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Lourdes. He explained that there is a known global rate of spontaneous remission of cancers that are unexplained (doesn't mean they're supernatural, just that the cause of remission wasn't clear). He then compared it to the statistics for remission rates among cancer patients that had visited Lourdes and found that the rate of remission was actually lower among the Lourdes pilgrims than among the global population.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The thing about aliens is yeah they are probably out there...but what if we are the first and we won't get to talk to anything intelligent for millions of years?

Or worse...what if we are the last and the rest of the m killed each other off!!!

As7 on
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    gruggrug Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Raneados wrote: »
    my post is the truth

everyone who says different is a faggot and a fool
    all three

grug on
    HOOFBEATS

ROBIN FALLS

WHO KNEW
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    BYToady wrote: »

Strange things

Once I thought I had psychic powers while listening to the radio. I'd start whistling a song and then moments later they would play it!

Then I realized it was because I listen to the same station every night at work for 2 hours at a time at the same time each night.

GET A NEW PLAYLIST ASSHOLES!
    That's rad. :lol:

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The thing about aliens is yeah they are probably out there...but what if we are the first and we won't get to talk to anything intelligent for millions of years?

Or worse...what if we are the last and the rest of the m killed each other off!!!

Us being the first is a lot more encouraging than us being the last.

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Shorty wrote: »

I checked dictionary.com for an antonym to serendipity and it just gives me "bad luck" and "misfortune"

Disappointment.

Shorty on
  • Options
    TrexyTrexy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I listen to the mix cds in my car enough that I anticipate the next song and get kinda irritated when my computer is on shuffle play and doesn't get it right.

Trexy on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Meissnerd wrote: »

And just our luck, all the other planets were populated by super benevolent sex starved babes and stallions.

As7 on
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

It's insane to think of the advancements we had in the past 150 years. From wussy guns to nukes and satellites. We're on the edge of killing off the planet. So sadly the odds are in favor of every other planet with life already killed themselves off.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

And just our luck, all the other planets were populated by super benevolent sex starved babes and stallions.
    Horse fucker.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Horse fucker.

Now say "Big Floppy Donkey Dick".

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I'm still learning wmmr's playlist now that wysp has some crap talk radio going on at 2 in the am.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    GravesGraves Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I hear creaking noises and whispers.

WHO KEEPS MOVING MY FUCKING BAT?!

Now I need to find my fucking razorblade boxcutter.

Graves on
  • Options
    CriticalCritical Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Since this is bound to evolve into a spooky shit thread anyway, I'll tell the story of my "haunted" house experience. Please keep in mind that we were doing this for shits and giggles, and everything in the story has a rational explanation. It just adds up to creepy as fuck when in context.

When I lived in Colorado, one of my friends had a house down the road that creeped everyone out. Long grass, no one had lived in it for years, etc. People crossed the street when they neared it without realizing it. It even had one of those small octagonal windows on the second floor that everyone swears they see a childs face in. Hell, it even had a motherfucking door leading onto the roof, which fueled stories of how the previous owner got onto said roof before pulling a triple gainer onto her driveway face first.

My friend knew one of the neighbors to this house, who conveniently had a key. They claimed they were too creeped out to go in there. We thought it would be an excellent idea to explore one night, and got the key.

Four people were involved, myself, my friend (henceforth known as B), his girlfriend (T), and my wife at the time (M). B carried a tape recorder, as did my wife, since we would probably split up, since the house was fairly large. We wanted to spend a decent amount of time inside, but not enough to alert anyone, since no one except one set of neighbors knew we were going to be there.

The first "huh" moment occurred before we were even inside. My wife asks T if she's nervous, and before T can reply, you hear what sounds like a child's voice say "Yeah" on the audio tape from her recorder. (Rational explanation: It was summer when we were doing this, probably a large insect buzzing by the mic on the recorder.)

The door was opened, and the first thing we hear is the beep of a smoke detector about to lose it's battery. Good. That will keep all of us in reality if we hear some kind of constant noise.

We do a sweep of the bottom floor. The house was still furnished, looking like it was deserted in the middle of the night. Pans still in the sink ready to be washed. The fridge is empty, but stained with what looks like soda or juice of some sort. Two bottles of pills on an end table, expired since the mid 90s.

After about ten minutes, my wife, the drama queen she was, freaks out and says she has to leave, stat. She's had enough. We tell her to fuck off, we'll be out in a few moments. Her and T toddle off, out to the driveway.

B and I decide to head upstairs. This makes both of us much more nervous, since the stairs are steep, and it's much easier to bolt out the door when you're on the ground floor. I went up first.

As I reach the top floor, I notice that a) a light cord is swinging with no detectable draft (that I noticed in my nervous state) and b) the smoke detector has stopped making noise. Fuck. "This was a bad fucking idea" summed up my thoughts on the subject.

Listening to both tapes simultaneously, one discovers the most fucked up part of the story. As B and I enter the first bedroom, you clearly hear a male voice screaming "Get out!" repeatedly on my wife's tape, as her and her friend run like Michael Vick from a PETA rally. (Rational explanation: Someone noticed our flashlights in the windows and decided to fuck with us, obviously) We never heard this in the house.

Both bedrooms are straight out of the 50s. Old magazines, a 1958 high school yearbook in one, an old project from what looks like a geology class in another. Everything coated with half a decade of dust. We were inspecting the last room upstairs, when B jostled a table and knocked a jewelry box onto the floor, causing both of us to almost shit our pants. We decided getting out was a pretty good fucking idea by this point, and extricated ourselves to find out significant others holding each other and shaking like leaves.

The next month someone moved in, mowed the lawn, painted the exterior, and it was a normal house again.

Critical on
    edesig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Shit, Graves is on to us. ABORT ABORT!

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    MonkeybombMonkeybomb Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    unfairendipity

I like this.

Monkeybomb on
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Triplemonkeybom
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I hear creaking noises and whispers.

WHO KEEPS MOVING MY FUCKING BAT?!

Now I need to find my fucking razorblade boxcutter.

Daddy Yankee is the culprit.

TRY AND SLEEP PEACEFULLY NOW

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    GravesGraves Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ok I have weapons in easy access locations, but whenever I reach for them THEY AREN'T THERE WHAT THE FUCK?!

I need to improvise

Graves on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Ok I have weapons in easy access locations, but whenever I reach for them THEY AREN'T THERE WHAT THE FUCK?!

I need to improvise

The ghosts are smarter than that. You gotta lock down small easily retrieved weapons, or they'll just poltergeist them into your face.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454