As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW]More dots, more dots.... okay stop dots (Warlock thread)

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    _J_ wrote: »
    End wrote: »
    Dyscord wrote: »
    My hope is that you can farm them from target dummies

You can.

Well, there goes the RP argument for soul shards.

Or perhaps, you really don't want to know what goes on in the halls of the training dummy makers guild.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

You can.

Or perhaps, you really don't want to know what goes on in the halls of the training dummy makers guild.

"Missed your production quota? You're dummy stuffing now, buddy."

Arrath on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

You can.

cause you care so much about rp, eh?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

You can.

Or perhaps it will be fixed?

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

You can.

cause you care so much about rp, eh?

RP interferes with his spreadsheet.

shryke on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    They'll probably find a way to nerf dummies to not give shards. Since heaven forbid someone not want to pointlessly leave a city in order to do their chores (*cough* weapon skill *cough*). Fishing need not apply.

forty on
  • Options
    ravenhexravenhex Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ok so I went destro to see how it plays compared to affl and holy shit I must have been fucking something up in my affl rotation becasue my dps in destro went up almost 500 (on boss's mind you). That may sound great but whats chappin my ass is what did I do wrong. I did the spec and rotation that EJ website says to do, have a dot timer but still I just couldnt hack it.

I guess that I just wasnt "leet" enough to keep up with the right rotation or something, but I fucking love my lock again!

ravenhex on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    It's not really possible to tell what you were doing without a WWS report. ;-)

End on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    ravenhex wrote: »
    Ok so I went destro to see how it plays compared to affl and holy shit I must have been fucking something up in my affl rotation becasue my dps in destro went up almost 500 (on boss's mind you). That may sound great but whats chappin my ass is what did I do wrong. I did the spec and rotation that EJ website says to do, have a dot timer but still I just couldnt hack it.

I guess that I just wasnt "leet" enough to keep up with the right rotation or something, but I fucking love my lock again!

Did your DPS improve on all bosses or just some bosses?

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Sorry didnt reply sooner, I post from work and have to keep it on the low down. I dont run WWS reports but I do take EJ's spec and rotation as words from God. The only thing I can think of that I was doing wrong was refreshing dots with a overlap of haunt, but thats it. Ran raids over 2 months as affl and never saw dps higher than 2100 even in 25 man's. I must say that I havent ran 10 or 25 mans with this destro spec but in multi heroics I never dip below 2000-2100 dps now. Before I would average about 1700 dps. Also note that my gear didnt change at all.

Short of respecing and running WWS anyone have any clue's to why this might be? We have another lock thats rolling with 16 epics (vs my 5) that says affl is the suck and doesnt buy into it. I chalk that up to him not going witht the right roation and lack of a dot timer. Curious as to what other people feel about it.

ravenhex on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What percentage of your damage came from shadowbolt, corruption, UA, etc?

forty on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I couldnt tell you to be honest.

ravenhex on
  • Options
    X Equals LoserX Equals Loser Wilford Brimley Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I would suggest playing with the heroic dummy for a while and parsing it. Sure, you won't be doing incredible dps, but we should at least be able to work a few kinks out.

X Equals Loser on
    xequalsloser.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Double post two.
    Warlock (Skills List / Talent + Glyph Calc.)
    Affliction

* Pandemic now Grants the periodic damage from your Corruption and Unstable Affliction spells the ability to critically hit for 100% increased damage.
    * Malediction now Increases your spell damage by 1/2/3%, and increases the periodic critical strike chance of your Corruption and Unstable Affliction spells by 3/6/9%.
    * Eradication changed to - When you deal damage with Corruption, you have 6% chance to increase your spell casting speed by 6/12/20% for 10 sec.
    * Siphon Life changed to - When you deal damage with your Corruption spell, you are instantly healed for 40% of the damage done. In addition, the damage done by your Corruption, Seed of Corruption and Unstable Affliction damage over time effects is increased by 5%.
    * Soul Siphon now Increases the amount drained by your Drain Life and Drain Soul spells by an additional 3/6% (up from 2/4%) for each of your Affliction effects on the target, up to a maximum of 9/18% (down from 24/60%) additional effect.

Demonology

* Ritual of Doom cooldown has been lowered from 1 hour to 30 minutes.

Destruction

* Decimation effect added - Soulfires cast under the effect of Decimation cost no shard.

So, affliction locks are getting their execute nerfed, but getting our 200% crits back, as well as doing more corruption damage with Siphon Life and having our eradication talent switched back to a haste buff. And we have a shorter cooldown on Doomguards. I *really* like these changes.

Edit: I do think the doomguard needs a substational damage reduction to warrant the shorter cooldown, though.

X Equals Loser on
    xequalsloser.gif
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    ugh, back to the old, dumb eradication

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    ravenhex wrote: »
    We have another lock thats rolling with 16 epics (vs my 5) that

Just how shitty is your gear? 2k DPS is low but if you're rolling in greens and blues that could at least make it a sensible number.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    ugh, back to the old, dumb eradication

I guess the new eradication was a poor dps increase. I'm a bit disappointed they reverted it instead of trying to fix it though. (Although, now we're probably back to putting only one or two points into it again)

Still, these changes are nice.

End on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Pandemic now Grants the periodic damage from your Corruption and Unstable Affliction spells the ability to critically hit for 100% increased damage.

Malediction now Increases your spell damage by 1/2/3%, and increases the periodic critical strike chance of your Corruption and Unstable Affliction spells by 3/6/9%.

Siphon Life changed to - When you deal damage with your Corruption spell, you are instantly healed for 40% of the damage done. In addition, the damage done by your Corruption, Seed of Corruption and Unstable Affliction damage over time effects is increased by 5%.

Perty.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    What they really ought to do is make eradication a chance to proc a self-buff that increases the cast time of your next couple shadowbolts by whatever percentage.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    What they really ought to do is make eradication a chance to proc a self-buff that increases the cast time of your next couple shadowbolts by whatever percentage.

1) Increasing cast time is stupid and I assume you made a typo.
    2) So you want Eradication to be Backdraft?

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    1. right
    2. pretty much

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    RyokazeRyokaze Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Guys, those suggestions are stupid.

Eradication should have a 6.55% chance, repeating of course, to create a kitten in your living room on each tick of corruption.

Warlock class is fixed now, you can thank me later.

Ryokaze on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Ryokaze wrote: »
    Guys, those suggestions are stupid.

Eradication should have a 6.55% chance, repeating of course, to create a kitten in your living room on each tick of corruption.

Warlock class is fixed now, you can thank me later.

:^:

End on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Eradication change is for Afflic PvP, where people would love a quicker cast of Fear or UA.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Updated changes in bold.
    Warlock (Skills List / Talent + Glyph Calc.)

* Doomguard: Cooldown reduced to 30 minutes, down from 60 minutes. Damage reduced approximately 30%, and health reduced approximately 30%.
    * Voidwalker: The health bonus on this pet has been reduced from 60% to 10%.

Affliction

* Eradication: Whenever you deal damage with Corruption, you have a 6% chance to gain the Eradication effect. The Eradication effect increases your spell casting speed by 6/12/20% for 10 seconds.
    * Immolation and Unstable Affliction are now in the same exclusive category (both damage over time effects cannot be present at the same time by the same caster on a target).
    * Malediction: No longer increases the effect of Curse of the Elements, but now also increases the periodic critical strike chance of your Corruption and Unstable Affliction spells by 3/6/9%.
    * Siphon Life: The Siphon Life spell has been removed. Siphon Life now causes your Corruption spell to instantly heal you for 40% of the damage done. In addition, the damage done by your Corruption, Seed of Corruption and Unstable Affliction damage over time effects is increased by 5%.
    * Soul Siphon re-designed: Increases the amount drained by your Drain Life and Drain Soul spells by an additional 3/6% for each of your Affliction effects on the target, up to a maximum of 9/18% additional effect.

Guess they just got sick of trying to make it look bad.

X Equals Loser on
    xequalsloser.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    LOL, guess they went for the "Fuck it, I'm tired of juggling numbers. YOU CAN'T USE IMMOLATE ANYMORE!!!" approach.

The Doomguard thing is probably a net damage boost, what with the halved cooldown.

I'm not sure what the VW one even means.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    It means you can't get 70k+ hp voidwalkers anymore. :P

End on
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    shryke wrote: »
    LOL, guess they went for the "Fuck it, I'm tired of juggling numbers. YOU CAN'T USE IMMOLATE ANYMORE!!!" approach.

I guess that simplifies things?
    The Doomguard thing is probably a net damage boost, what with the halved cooldown.

If you're parsing your damage in terms of Damage Per Hour, sure. But on fights where DPS is critical it's a pretty big nerf. The CD is irrelevant when you need it for one six minute fight. If it does less damage it does less damage, getting to use it more often is just convenient, not a real improvement.

I'm not sure what the VW one even means.

Tanks didn't like the idea of losing their job on Sarth to a fat faceless blue blob with an unpronounceable name.

In short all 3 of these changes are Blizzard going "We give up!"

-"Affliction warlocks keeps using Immolate, and we can't convince them not to. We give up! They just can't use it anymore."

-"Doomguard's like the best pet ever when the cooldown's up and we don't think we like that. We give up! Make it a terrible pet with a shorter cooldown so nobody will ever use it."

-"The voidwalker can actually tank something worth tanking and we can't figure out how to make this a useful pet. We give up! Now it can't tank anything at all."

And I thought rogues had it bad with "play this class like we want you to or else we'll destroy everything fun" in this patch. Yikes.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    shryke wrote: »

I guess that simplifies things?

They've been trying to get Affliction to stop using Immolate for awhile now. But immolate is just too damn good. So they've settled on this apparently.

If you're parsing your damage in terms of Damage Per Hour, sure. But on fights where DPS is critical it's a pretty big nerf. The CD is irrelevant when you need it for one six minute fight. If it does less damage it does less damage, getting to use it more often is just convenient, not a real improvement.

Are you waiting an hour between boss pulls?

I figure it's probably still the best pet for when it's up, it's just slightly LESS good, but it's usable WAY more often, which is good.

Using it more often isn't "convenient", it's straight up doubling in the spells potential damage.

shryke on
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Well it's actually a 40% increase in your terms (does 70% twice as often so 140%) but I still argue that it's a nerf.

If you need the extra DPS a Doomguard brings to complete the fight before a wipe, good.

If you don't and you whip it out anyway, you're just showing off.

This change reduces the DPS a Doomguard can bring to a fight where it's needed, in favor of letting Warlocks show off more often. It's a nerf to Warlocks in borderline guilds who mgiht need that little bit extra, and a buff to the people who care about being #1 on the meters.

What if they cut the damage to 40% of what it once was but lower the CD to 15 minutes? It's a 60% damage boost over the old version, it just does less than half the damage it did before when it's up, which is now theoretically 100% of the time. If that still makes it the best pet for the situation and you get 100% uptime why the fuck do you even have other pets? And if it's now worse than other pets you wouldn't ever use it.

Or what if they had made the CD 5 hours but increased the damage by 400%, so it's outdamaging every real human in the raid on its own for 15 minutes? Would that be a buff or a "nerf" since it'd be doing only 80% of the damage-per-5-hours it was doing before?

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Your still not making any sense.

You can now use it twice as often. That's twice the DPS your getting out of it.

Of course, it's getting it's damage nerfed at the same time and fights aren't regularly scheduled, so it's something less then doubled technically.

So unless you were only pulling once an hour (in which case, it was up for every fight), it's now up for roughly twice as many fights, even if it does 30% less damage.

Overall, it's probably a buff.

PS - Doing more DPS isn't "Showing Off", it's doing your fucking job.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I like the Doomguard change because Murphy's Law loves you. Things will go to shit, and I want to be able to bring the doomguard out for more attempts per hour, even if his power per attempt is slightly less.

And when I say Murphy's Law loves you, I mean Murphy's Law wants to fuck you.

End on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    And I thought rogues had it bad with "play this class like we want you to or else we'll destroy everything fun" in this patch. Yikes.

man, do you just love to whine?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    no complains about the huge soul siphon nerf???

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I'm the only affliction warlock in our raids and there's only ever one other warlock, so it's actually a buff for me.

End on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

3.1 Blizzard just doesn't understand classes anymore
    It's one less button but if you had trouble playing an affliction warlock then that's your problem not mine
    I am not looking forward to the patch

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I'm the only affliction warlock in our raids and there's only ever one other warlock, so it's actually a buff for me.

Yeah, unless you were stacking warlocks, it' probably a buff.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Brainleech wrote: »

3.1 Blizzard just doesn't understand classes anymore
    It's one less button but if you had trouble playing an affliction warlock then that's your problem not mine
    I am not looking forward to the patch

In BC Warlocks complained because they had to only push one button.
    In WOTLK Warlocks complained because they had to push more than one button.

I don't mind these changes, but I would like for Blizzard to design a fucking game instead of simply changing that which the majority of unread forum posters bitch about.

What they've done in 3.1 is the antithesis of design at least with regard to Affliction.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    jesus, there seem to be a lot of people out there who enjoy getting worked up over nothing.

There's nothing terrible about 3.1. There are a variety of changes, most of them good, that we have known about implicitly at least for a long time.

fuck dude, I don't even know what "the antithesis of design" means.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    Elessar ElfstoneElessar Elfstone Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So as an Affliction Warlock I don't have to cast Immolate or Siphon Life any more? any Drain Soul is getting a crazy dps nerf? Hmm, not to sure how I feel about this patch anymore.

Elessar Elfstone on
    Tobias: Or it could be your colon. I'd want to get in there and find some answers.

Forsake, Warlock of Stonemaul