As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW]More dots, more dots.... okay stop dots (Warlock thread)

• Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    1/39/21 would probably do more dps than anything if the succy was allowed to go at it freely. I haven't tried that, though.

1/44/16 should be pretty successful in the same way 0/21/40 would be in a raid.

7/43/11 is very successful in my experience raiding with no support, 2/3 demonic resilience -- should probably drop shadowburn to max that out. It makes affliction warlocks cry for personal dps, especially if you get stuff like lotp and battleshout because there's a free spot in a melee group. Talking 300-400+ pet dps here. If you don't get uber melee spots, you can still be just as successful in a similar group as a 0/21/40 lock with the 1/44/16 setup. Having a shadowpriest in your group with 3/3 demonic resilience will nullify most aoe annoyances throughout raiding. Definitely not all of them, but the majority are covered.

Having played the felguard I don't know why people still do 0/21/40. I guess it's much easier to handle.

kaleedity on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm thinking about trying out the felguard raid spec. You think mana feed is needed without a shadow priest, or no?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have two questions about Seed of corruption...

1) Does the explosion damage the guy that originally had the seed in him?

B) If I am spamming SoC on some chump, and the new seed hits the guy before the old one goes boom, does it trigger the explosion, or does it overwrite the old seed?

dojango on
  • Options
    CharusCharus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    dojango wrote: »

B) If I am spamming SoC on some chump, and the new seed hits the guy before the old one goes boom, does it trigger the explosion, or does it overwrite the old seed?

1) No

B) It overwrites

Seed of Corruption is a deceptively tricky spell.

Charus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Charus wrote: »
    Seed of Corruption is a deceptively tricky spell.
    Oh God. My first kara run with SoC, using SoC on dancers in the ballroom near Maiden's hallway. Let's just say it ended very badly for us.

Muriden on
    MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png
  • Options
    FodderFodder Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, AOE isn't really the best thing in some parts of kara...

Fodder on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think SoC was supposed to be able to detonate other seeds, but that was removed at some point. Not really suprising as that would make it even more ridiculous.

Anyway I was able to keep felguard up through void reaver which was a real test. I had to hit hard to keep him up with the 2/5 bonus as I didn't have a shadow priest. If I had the warlock trinket it would have been easy street.

Oh and as far as raiding is concerned 1/3 mana feed is all you'll need to keep him cleaving. 2/3 is needed if your grinding with his taunt and cleave on though, or the 2 piece dungeon set bonus.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Where do we stand right now with the use of Curse of Recklessness? Anyone have a list of BC raid bosses that you can and cannot use it on? Or can you use it on any boss if a warrior has 5/5 improved demo shout?

Charus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Where do we stand right now with the use of Curse of Recklessness? Anyone have a list of BC raid bosses that you can and cannot use it on? Or can you use it on any boss if a warrior has 5/5 improved demo shout?

I've been wondering more about this lately myself. It seems like people generally say to use CoR if you have a full melee group and the boss isn't a particularly nasty hitter (Morogrim), so most of the time it should be up. We never do it, though, and I think we probably should. Similarly we always do CoW, while I always read that a DPS warrior should be keeping up Imp Demo Shout. Is that something most DPS warriors can't spec into, or are ours just lazy? As I understand it, Demo Shout << CoW << Imp Demo Shout/Imp CoW.

And now my dilemma! S3 spellblade, or wait and see if Naj'entus wants to drop his dagger?

riz on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    From what I understand, currently warriors can pick up Imp Demo shout at a marginal loss in personal DPS, but with Death Wish becoming a 21 point Arms talent, the talent points they may have had to spare to pick up 5/5 Imp Demo shout might be needed to get 21 deep in Arms.

Charus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Gnomeland SecurityGnomeland Security Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Can you guys help me with a theory crafting experiment?

Ive been screwing around with my set bonuses and im trying to figure out what the best way is to go with my gear is until i can upgrade it more. Specifically... trinkets

(reference data)

http://wiki.shadowpriest.com/index.php?title=SimulationCraft/Trinkets/Warlock

Atm, im playing a 41/5/15 Affliction lock

Im wearing 4 piece T5 (chest, leggings, gloves, shoulders) and 1 piece t6 (helm)

Im running at 202 spell hit, 1204 Spell damage

Heres the question... ive been checking the theorycrafting wiki and banging my head on the table trying to figure out if its worth breaking up my 4 piece.

Atm, my corruption starts ticking around 450~ and last ticks at 760 with the shadowbolt buffs. Personally, i think the 210 damage increase just on the corruption increase far outweighs a 6% shadow bolt damage increase when im looking at 2.2k shadow bolt averages...

Where i start to question myself is when you add trinkets into it. On my way towards the exalted BT trinket but still need another few weeks for that. Atm, using max spell damage trinkets so im not too much in a hurry to drop them.

Icon of the Silver Crescent
    Quagmirrans Eye

But, as you can see, they rank only middle of the back on the simulationcraft chart. Im going to have to alter then eventually and then i start to wonder if its ever worth breaking up a 4 piece t5 bonus based on the trinket enhancement of corruption. I had this same problem dealing with breaking up my 2 piece t4 for the spell damage buff dealing with burst procs, but now im kind of lost.

I asked some guild locks, but everyone else is destruction so it doesnt seem like that big of a deal to them.

What trinkets are you guys running with based on your set bonuses?

Thank you

Gnomeland Security on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I don't get it.

What trinket are you thinking about swapping in?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Ashtongue Talisman of Shadows

its ranked at 57.5 but it was fixed in 2.2 to proc off dots now, so im not sure thats accurate

Can you/anyone share their current set bonus set up and trinket selection? please?

Gnomeland Security on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    oh! i forgot! was also considering the new 2.3 pvp trinket (talisman of the alliance?)

Its going to give 57 spell damage and heal 1750 hp

Thats better than eye of magtheradon imo (not yet listed on chart)

Gnomeland Security on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Well not exactly.
    Equip: Increases damage and healing done by magical spells and effects by up to 47.
    Use: Increases maximum health by 1750 for 15 sec. Shares cooldown with other Battlemaster's trinkets.

This is why I hate set bonuses and meta gems though. Makes it way too hard to weigh one vs. straight stats or another set bonus. :\

riz on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I don't see how the trinkets interact with your 4 piece bonus, is what I'm saying. If you can break the 4 piece at get a net of more than +50 spelldmg, do it. There's a chart that breaks out trinkets damage in a 42/2/18 build that has the ashtongue trinket ranked slightly above the eye, if that answers the question.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    RyokazeRyokaze Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    riz wrote: »

I've been wondering more about this lately myself. It seems like people generally say to use CoR if you have a full melee group and the boss isn't a particularly nasty hitter (Morogrim), so most of the time it should be up. We never do it, though, and I think we probably should. Similarly we always do CoW, while I always read that a DPS warrior should be keeping up Imp Demo Shout. Is that something most DPS warriors can't spec into, or are ours just lazy? As I understand it, Demo Shout << CoW << Imp Demo Shout/Imp CoW.

And now my dilemma! S3 spellblade, or wait and see if Naj'entus wants to drop his dagger?

Well, Recklessness is still a 7-8% increase in melee DPS. So tell me how many mages you need to have before you would want to use CoE, increase that number by 20-30%, and you have your magic melee number necessary to make CoR good. As far as which bosses you don't want to use it on... the actual melee damage increase it provides is negligable, so it doesn't really matter how hard the boss hits for, base. What does matter is the presence of hard hitting instant attacks. If it MS's, recklessness is probably out of the question. If it Hurtful Strikes, Recklessness is probably out of the question.

Also, you people are funny "If you have a full melee group." I bring no less than 12 melee to every raid. I had 15 melee on our first Hydross kill. Must be nice to have something other than warriors and rogues!

Although we still use recklessness on Gruul up to 8 or 9 grows or so, and yes, I do Gruul with 11-15 melee too. Dance fuckers, dance!

Ryokaze on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Hahahah. Yeah I really don't know what's typical but I know we're low on melee, we have had nights with ZERO rogues. We always have basically the tank group with whoever doesn't fit elsewhere, the melee group, the mage group, the warlock group, and the spellsurge healer group. Shadow priest with the mages and elemental shaman with us.

riz on
  • Options
    Viper007BondViper007Bond Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think SoC was supposed to be able to detonate other seeds, but that was removed at some point. Not really suprising as that would make it even more ridiculous.

Uh, it still does. Read the spell.
    Imbeds a demon seed in the enemy target, causing 1044 Shadow damage over 18 sec. When the target takes 1044 total damage or dies, the seed will inflict 1110 to 1290 Shadow damage to all other enemies within 15 yards of the target. Only one Corruption spell per Warlock can be active on any one target.

Nothing is more fun than getting 3-4 seeds up before the first one ticks enough to proc. When it does (and if you have enough +dmg), it sets the rest of them off which is enough to instantly kill most non-elites.

Bring 3-4 DS locks to Tidewalker for example and it'll be good times und fun. Who needs mages when you can drop all the adds nearly at once?

Viper007Bond on
    [Sig removed for breaking the h-scroll. -Bogey]
  • Options
    Viper007BondViper007Bond Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If I had the warlock trinket it would have been easy street.

I've thought about that (rolling with a pet). I respec 0/40/21 for Leo and while my spell damage is like 1300 unbuffed due to all those talents, it just doesn't seem to go anywhere. Okay, so I do have a few points in "worthless" talents due to having to tank, but still, you'd think my shadow bolts and stuff would rape, but they don't. Plus, having to have a pet out = no mana regen = having to beg for a shadow priest.

I still think 0/21/40 is the way to go if nothing more than for being self sufficient. Your shadow bolts hit like a bitch and you don't have to rely on DoTs that you can't turn off (you can't use CoA or Corruption much on fights like Hydros). I really like just being able to turn off Immolate right before an aggro dump.

Viper007Bond on
    [Sig removed for breaking the h-scroll. -Bogey]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Eh?

You can totally use dots on hydross. You can use two rounds of them if you time it right. And felguard dps comes from: felguard (basically a physical dot), mediocre dots, and decently powerful shadowbolts.

I would consider more destro but the elemetanls on vashj are a bitch to take down with just bolts.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    WhiteKnight742WhiteKnight742 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

I've thought about that (rolling with a pet). I respec 0/40/21 for Leo and while my spell damage is like 1300 unbuffed due to all those talents, it just doesn't seem to go anywhere.

The extra spell damage from DK just can't compete with the 0/21/40 coefficient boost. Not to mention the sac flat % boost is beastly.

WhiteKnight742 on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    man it's kind of... extremely annoying that all classes are getting these awesome buffs, reworks, ONLY warlocks are getting nothing but very clear nerfs

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    man it's kind of... extremely annoying that all classes are getting these awesome buffs, reworks, ONLY warlocks are getting nothing but very clear nerfs

Maybe it's because... warlocks don't need anything but nerfs?

exis on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Warlocks as an overall class don't need to become more powerful, but there certainly are some things that could be done for them. Fire based specs, for example, could really use a buff.

Charus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, I'd like to see fire make a comeback. I think it'd be neat if they gave conflag a better coefficient than normal, which might revive that build tree for PvP burst (since it seems like the tree's supposed to do that anyway.)

The drain life nerf sort of boggles me, too. I mean, it's going to wind up being such an incremental change that I wonder why they did it at all.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    dojango wrote: »

This has already been answered, but I want to expand on the 2nd question. Seed of corruption explodes as soon as the target has taken 1044 damage, which means the damage from one target exploding does contribute towards the damage of another target exploding.

This becomes hilariously awesome in AV.

I am Horde and, having just made level 70 over the weekend, decided to try some AV to begin farming honor for new gear. We were defending the IB chokepoint in one game and after we had fended off a couple smaller waves of them (thus allowing our side to push closer to victory while the alliance remained stalemated), they got together in a huge rush. While many of my hordie buddies were battling face-to-face with the alliance, out-numbered in that very narrow corridor, I decided to stand back and continually cycle: Tab => SoC => Siphon Life => Tab => etc...

The results were pure unadulterated awesome as alliance victims began exploding left and right, and soon there was naught but a field of bodies. There were a couple alliance guys who saw what I was doing and dedicated the rest of the game towards killing me on sight. I considered that high praise. :D

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    exis wrote: »

maybe you have no idea what you're talking about? warlocks are strong 1v1 I agree, but who the fuck cares about 1v1? I don't see a 1v1 arena.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Seed of corruption's description is incorrect. Seed of corruption explosions do not go toward setting off other seeds of corruption. This is easy to verify.

What isn't in the description is that when a mob dies with seed of corruption on it, it blows up no matter the circumstances.

On Curse of Recklessness:
    the actual melee damage increase it provides is negligable

Big bosses gain more than you'd think from attack power. If you have a warrior with 5/5 demo shout, the bonus ap from CoR is negated. If you don't, the boss gains a significant boost to their melee attacks. NPC attack power functions in a pretty odd way. The dudes at elitist jerks have worked on that quite a bit, you can find all sorts of crazy stuff about it on their forums.

I've thought about that (rolling with a pet). I respec 0/40/21 for Leo and while my spell damage is like 1300 unbuffed due to all those talents, it just doesn't seem to go anywhere. Okay, so I do have a few points in "worthless" talents due to having to tank, but still, you'd think my shadow bolts and stuff would rape, but they don't. Plus, having to have a pet out = no mana regen = having to beg for a shadow priest.

I still think 0/21/40 is the way to go if nothing more than for being self sufficient. Your shadow bolts hit like a bitch and you don't have to rely on DoTs that you can't turn off (you can't use CoA or Corruption much on fights like Hydros). I really like just being able to turn off Immolate right before an aggro dump.

differences between 0/21/40 and felguard: (something like 1/44/16) concerning nothing but shadowbolt:

0/21/40 gains
    -15% shadow damage, sac
    -1 point in destructive reach (10% range, 5% -threat)
    -ruin; 33% more total gains from crit
    -3% backlash crit
    -20% bonus spell damage

1/44/16 gains
    -5% md total damage
    -5% soul link damage
    -5% crit, demonic tactics
    -slightly less than 200 demonic knowledge spell damage

from these numbers and some experience with the felguard, it should be easy to do a personal case-by-case comparison with your own 0/21/40 vs 1/44/16 experience.

In my experience, the felguard damage makes up more damage than the difference in spell damage, %shadow damage, and ruin.

kaleedity on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

maybe you have no idea what you're talking about? warlocks are strong 1v1 I agree, but who the fuck cares about 1v1? I don't see a 1v1 arena.

Perception is a huge part of this problem. People are so set in their "omg warlock are overpowered QQQQQQQ" ways that they see one or two "minor" nerfs per patch and just cry "That's not enough! NERF MORE!" and fail to realize that all the little nerfs add up. Maybe there should have been one big "Here's the warlock nerf" patch so people could shut the fuck up instead of being able to shrug off all the cumulative nerfs we get, while other classes continue to get buffs. There isn't that much imbalance anymore.

I particularly love the mages in my raid who bitch about warlocks being so overpowered and yet they don't have a problem competing with us on the meters on all but a few fights. Mage AOE needs to be fixed so warlocks aren't the clearly superior AOE class, but other than that...

riz on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    what I also can't even in the least grasp is rogues whining about warlocks
    SERIOUSLY
    If you lose against a warlock with similar equip as a rogue, YOU SUCK
    There's no other way.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    goodtimesgoodtimes Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Well warriors are getting a lil nerf to their shitty mace proc thing. Everytime it comes up theyre all like "Darrr WHAT!! Orc is angry me smash !!!" Hearing the laments of warriors is a sweet song in my ear sung by a lil greek cherub playing a lyre , almost makes up for the fact that their already OP mortal strike affects somthing which it's co-effecient gains zero benefit from +healing whatsoever.

And as for mages ... LOL iceblock , as if they're going to ever kill a warlock in greens?

goodtimes on
    new sig underconstruction
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    well who cares about mages
    It's kind of frustrating to see a warrior/rogue and not be able to do anything than to die
    I can't even get away

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    goodtimesgoodtimes Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Well Im soullink so surviving the initial stunlock is no problem , trinketing the kidney shot , and deathcoiling , start getting some distance and throw up curse of exhaustion. at this point their CP's have been blown on KS so your not going to get bursted , start dotting keep moving they will cloak or sprint , if they dont then fear start draining. apply healthstone as needed, any time the rogue has some distance on you keep your back to them (strange as that sounds) to avoid blind and gouge, they can gouge at some incredible distances due to lag so keep them moving. if they sprint turn around and run through them and keep going the opposite direction. If you can survive the stunlock you can kite a rogue along with fear and coex. It's not a free HK strategy but it's better than nothing , i.e. warriors

goodtimes on
    new sig underconstruction
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Buh

I'm not looking forward to the nerf. I just got to 1906 with my pally buddy and I feel very accomplished, as PvP has always been my weakest part of this game. I have fewer honor kills than many blood elves and I've been playing for a while. How much does improved fel armor mitigate minus to healing things anyway? I can't imagine it would just subract 26% from the debuff, bringing it down to a more manageable 24% debuff. It probably just ends up adding a small amount to how much healing your getting.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    it's a flat 50% reduce of absolute healing. so, if your drain life ticks for 200 damage and heals your for 240 (20% more), you'll get 120 healing instead
    also I am not soul link specced, but maybe I'll go 0/41/20 once I get another part of t5 and maybe the voidstar talisman, so I can do something besides pce

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    zagizagi Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Just how much +crit and/or spell damage do you need to make a build like 0/21/40 effective (assuming 202 spell hit)?

I figure I'm going to keep plugging away at affliction for a long time, since I stopped raiding except for the random pug SSC or something. For future reference.

zagi on
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Perception is a huge part of this problem. People are so set in their "omg warlock are overpowered QQQQQQQ" ways that they see one or two "minor" nerfs per patch and just cry "That's not enough! NERF MORE!" and fail to realize that all the little nerfs add up. Maybe there should have been one big "Here's the warlock nerf" patch so people could shut the fuck up instead of being able to shrug off all the cumulative nerfs we get, while other classes continue to get buffs. There isn't that much imbalance anymore.

Yes, because what I said was "warlocks need to be nerfed more more more!" :roll:

exis on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    zagi wrote: »
    Just how much +crit and/or spell damage do you need to make a build like 0/21/40 effective (assuming 202 spell hit)?

I figure I'm going to keep plugging away at affliction for a long time, since I stopped raiding except for the random pug SSC or something. For future reference.

People say 1000 dmg/20% crit/hit capped, but I respecced with only like 17% crit and my average DPS shot up. Straight spell damage scales better anyway. One thing though is it works way better if you have another destro warlock in the raid. I do noticeably worse when the other destro lock is absent and I assume it's because our combined crit rating keeps ISB up way more consistently (damn two affliction locks and two or three shadow priests eating our procs with crappy bolts and mindblasts!)

riz on
  • Options
    zagizagi Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    zagi wrote: »

People say 1000 dmg/20% crit/hit capped, but I respecced with only like 17% crit and my average DPS shot up. Straight spell damage scales better anyway. One thing though is it works way better if you have another destro warlock in the raid. I do noticeably worse when the other destro lock is absent and I assume it's because our combined crit rating keeps ISB up way more consistently (damn two affliction locks and two or three shadow priests eating our procs with crappy bolts and mindblasts!)

I remember another destro lock told me that - hit > spell damage > crit or hit > spell damage/crit. Or both, he was stoned at the time. I have 2 out of 3 there, crit is abysmal though. My gear emphasizes spell hit/dmg right now because I came up short in hit when I transferred over, & had to adjust my gear to fix it.

Is your 17% crit include Devastation or gear only?

Most raids I've been in have 2-3 destro locks, 1-2 shadow priests, & maybe 1 affliction lock. I'm almost always the one affliction lock, because the rest go destro.

zagi on