As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How much would you pay for this?

SnowconeSnowcone Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Games and Technology
I was at Wal-Mart with my son yesterday and, as we always do, we walked through the game section. I'm always on the prowl for good deals on older games so I walked by the Xbox section and saw this...
nbalive2002.jpg

Apparently Wal-Mart missed the memo that it's not 2002 anymore and that the Xbox is no longer a viable system. Gamestop sells NBA Live 2003 for $1.99...

Snowcone on

• Options
    IchinisanIchinisan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    They still charge $49.88 for "Eternal Darkness" and Nintendo's "Magical Mirror starring Mickey Mouse." They just flew under the radar of "The Clearance Harbinger of Oblivion." At least it means that those are still around for the people that must find them new at any cost.

Ichinisan on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Diablo 2 was $19.99 at my local Gamestop. I mean... good game. But seriously, it's been 7 years.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    About three years after the Gamecube was released, Wal-Mart was selling Conker's Bad Fur day for $60.

I also vividly remember the time, shortly after the N64 came out, Wal-Mart sold Yoshi's Island for $20. I immediately snapped it up. The next year, the very same Wal-Mart sold it for $50.

Oddly enough, Wal-Mart isn't always the best place for discounted older games.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Diablo 2 was $19.99 at my local Gamestop. I mean... good game. But seriously, it's been 7 years.

It's that much everywhere, It still sells a lot of copies (as does Starcraft). The Diablo 2 Battlechest is still $40 if im not mistaken.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Why doesn't it cost $49.99? (or $49.88 as Wal-mart likes to do)

Wasn't the standard price for xbox games $49.99? Did Wal-mart actually raise the price of this game over the last 5 years?

DesertBox on
  • Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This is like the FYE in Arundel Mills, MD selling a copy of Forsaken as late as two years ago, in the original big cardboard box, for $50.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Although at a good price, I saw VIrtua Fighter 1 for the PC in my local tesco recently. It was priced at £1. It also had a sticker on it saying "Hurry, whilst stocks last"

This games is iirc like 12 years old.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    DesertBox wrote: »
    Why doesn't it cost $49.99? (or $49.88 as Wal-mart likes to do)

Wasn't the standard price for xbox games $49.99? Did Wal-mart actually raise the price of this game over the last 5 years?

I've seen upscale Wal-Mart stores, or rather, Wal-Mart stores in an upscale area, add a markup.

Ichinisan on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sometimes a retail chain will mark up a cost instead of marking down the cost of a soon-to-be clearance item just as a way of organizing by price. It's kind of dumb and sometimes they forget about a few titles, which is probably what happened with NBA Live 2002 up there.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    About three years after the Gamecube was released, Wal-Mart was selling Conker's Bad Fur day for $60.

I also vividly remember the time, shortly after the N64 came out, Wal-Mart sold Yoshi's Island for $20. I immediately snapped it up. The next year, the very same Wal-Mart sold it for $50.

Oddly enough, Wal-Mart isn't always the best place for discounted older games.

I picked up the original Unreal at Wal-Mart for $30 right after it came out. A year later, they marked it up to $50.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Gimme fifty cents and I'll toss it in the trash for you.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Mr HeistMr Heist It's Heist-o-Matic! Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ah... I'll buy it at a high price!

Mr Heist on
    mrheist-wide.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
  • Options
    Daisuke SpoonDaisuke Spoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    drhazard wrote: »
    This is like the FYE in Arundel Mills, MD selling a copy of Forsaken as late as two years ago, in the original big cardboard box, for $50.

I go to the Arundel Mills FYE all the time. I don't know why, everything there is usually waaaay over priced.

Daisuke Spoon on
    pikaserious.jpg
    Pokeymanz: 0002-2940-9674
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Assholes at Game Stop were selling Age of Mythology, (coincidentally, also from 2002) and still were trying to move it for $20. I later found it at Target for $10.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    ZarcathZarcath Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Snowcone wrote: »
    I was at Wal-Mart with my son yesterday and, as we always do, we walked through the game section. I'm always on the prowl for good deals on older games so I walked by the Xbox section and saw this...
    nbalive2002.jpg

Apparently Wal-Mart missed the memo that it's not 2002 anymore and that the Xbox is no longer a viable system. Gamestop sells NBA Live 2003 for $1.99...

You're asking Wal-Mart, a store that largely only stocks full-screen DVDs, to make sense?

Zarcath on
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I was in best buy years ago looking for a new game to play. Saw Roller Coaster Tycoon for $14 on the shelf. Since i loved themepark when i was younger I snatched it up. A week later, ads for RCT started appearing on the TV and the price shot up to $50 at the BB i bought it at. i still giggle about this.

Lost 3 months of my precious teenage life to that game.

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    h8b1llg8tsh8b1llg8ts Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ichinisan wrote: »
    They still charge $49.88 for "Eternal Darkness" ....

I saw that a couple of months ago at Wal-Mart too but with no price. Asked the guy to scan it for me because I was really looking for that game at the time and he confirmed the $49.88 price. When I asked him to also scan the last Zelda Edition Gamecube it also came back $49.88.

He didn't see the irony ...

h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif
    MAX: Liz I really, really wish that this could be something, you know, more. But it can't. We're just...

LIZ: Different.

VOICE-OVER: It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.
  • Options
    bluemaggitbluemaggit Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    walmart is the devil as far as im concerned

bluemaggit on
    .deftones.bluemaggit.banner.jpg
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    h8b1llg8ts, your sig is huge man, consider resizing it before some mod takes it down. It's about as twice as tall as it is recommended to be.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I go to the Arundel Mills FYE all the time. I don't know why, everything there is usually waaaay over priced.

If they ring it up, it'll probably be $2. FYE/Coconuts/Strawberries (TWE stores) had all N64 games for $2 a while back. That said, I have the game sealed on PC. :)

CZroe on
  • Options
    Anonymous RobotAnonymous Robot Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    Although at a good price, I saw VIrtua Fighter 1 for the PC in my local tesco recently. It was priced at £1. It also had a sticker on it saying "Hurry, whilst stocks last"

Whilst?

Anonymous Robot on
    Sigs shouldn't be higher than 80 pixels - Elki.

photo02-film.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    LewieP wrote: »

Whilst?

Pip pip!

Ichinisan on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Our local Game has a Geforce 2 MX for £49.99.

Rook on
  • Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My friends and I recently got back into Diablo 2 and they all went out and bought the Battle Chest at 40 bucks a pop.

Shows the staying power of that game.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    h8b1llg8ts wrote: »

I saw that a couple of months ago at Wal-Mart too but with no price. Asked the guy to scan it for me because I was really looking for that game at the time and he confirmed the $49.88 price. When I asked him to also scan the last Zelda Edition Gamecube it also came back $49.88.

Wait... Are you telling me that Zelda for the GameCube is $50 or the GameCube itself is $50?

This is important because tomorrow is payday and I am in the mood for a hunt.

Einhander on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Einhander wrote: »

Wait... Are you telling me that Zelda for the GameCube is $50 or the GameCube itself is $50?

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-GameCube-Console-Indigo/dp/B00005QEFF/ref=pd_bbs_7/102-2998744-3344934?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1185482264&sr=8-7

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Speak of the Devil

Why I would be glad to fork over $300 for a factory sealed GameCube to a company with a 74% positive rating.

Oh God they're selling GBA SPs for $179.99 and oh God.

GTA San Andreas for $99

DS Lite for $249

Fable, MGS3, Final Fantasy Dawn of Souls, and Wind Waker for $60!

This thread should turn into a really really shitty price on the internet scavenger hunt.

Einhander on
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-GameCube-Console-Indigo/dp/B00005QEFF/ref=pd_bbs_7/102-2998744-3344934?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1185482264&sr=8-7

In case you didn't know, the sealed Zelda disc alone is worth more than that. The hunt will be difficult because it's likely the old Black Friday deal (with the free disc case). If it's the Collector's Edition deal, that's pretty damn good too. If it's the Wind Waker/Master Quest deal, that specific "single case for both games" version is even more rare/valuable. Wal-Mart had all of these bundles.

CZroe on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    This same walmart had maybe 10 GCs, no Wiis, plenty of 360s, and plenty of PS3s.

Snowcone on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I know about the Zelda thing, I only ever saw it come in once back when I worked in game retail, both Zelda discs at the same time, and we damn near had a riot followed by a bidding war followed by another riot before the end of the day.

I'd be interested in picking up a brand new GameCube alone for $50 though. Mainly for REmake and Twin Snakes. I'm sure I'd find other games as well, and they're dirt cheap nowadays to boot.

I would have picked up a used GameCube a while ago, but the majority of them have been owned by kids and are usually beat to hell and filled with jelly and boogers.

But if I could score a new one for $50 I could pick up some Nattie Ice and some Axe Bodyspray on the way home and get my Bro Rape on.

Einhander on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Just get a Wii.

Magus` on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Magus` wrote: »
    Just get a Wii.

That implies that he'd be able to, y'know, actually FIND a wii.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Magus` wrote: »
    Just get a Wii.

That implies that he'd be able to, y'know, actually FIND a wii.

Or want a Wii. But now we're getting sidetracked.

Einhander on
  • Options
    h8b1llg8tsh8b1llg8ts Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

This was like 3 or 4 months ago. Good Luck though ...
    h8b1llg8ts, your sig is huge man, consider resizing it before some mod takes it down. It's about as twice as tall as it is recommended to be.

Thanx for the heads up, I just checked the rules and say that ...

h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif
    MAX: Liz I really, really wish that this could be something, you know, more. But it can't. We're just...

LIZ: Different.

VOICE-OVER: It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Zellers here are even worse for keeping old games at high prices. Last time I was in there they still had quite a few nintendo 64 games for $30+. I recall seeing a couple gameboy color titles as well. They had SNES and sega cartridges a while ago, bundled together at fair prices but it still made me go wtf.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    IN 2004, Interplay released an Interplay 20th anniversary edition of Freespace 2 (which originally came out in 1999), with no added features whatsoever, for the low, low price of... $49.95. And this was after the source code project was already up and running.

Coincidentally, the company seems to have gone all kinds of broke since then.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

From what one of the register biscuits there (as in, that very FYE) told me once, they tend to get in Wiis and 360 Elites and no one even knows to go there to buy them.

There's a reason to go in.

But yeah overpriced. Though they do have a lot of ancient stuff.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

From what one of the register biscuits there (as in, that very FYE) told me once, they tend to get in Wiis and 360 Elites and no one even knows to go there to buy them.

There's a reason to go in.

But yeah overpriced. Though they do have a lot of ancient stuff.

Oh, I wander in there every time I go, usually because it's right next to DuClaw. I think I bought something there once in the clearance bins. I'm almost sure it was a gag gift.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This is one of my favorites I like to pull out every now and then.

I got a flyer in the newspaper for one of those rent to own places in town, it had this in it:

playstation.jpg

AWESOME.

citizen059 on