As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is how the world ends... apparently.

1235»

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    Even if I thought the world was going to end in 2012 (which I don't) there is no use worrying about it. Is there anything that can be done about it? When its time its time. But at least most apocalyptic theory that I hear about are relatively painless (y'know for dying and all). Like getting smacked with an asteroid or comet. Gamma Ray Burst (thats a fun one), or the universe collapsing on itself, etc etc etc...so don't worry about it. O yea I kinda lied gamma ray bursts would hurt a little.
    Gamma Ray bursts are also directional and would likely only wipe out the population on whichever half of the planet was facing them.

Most of it wouldn't make it through the atmosphere however. Radiation would be a very small threat compared to our ozone layer being ionized and effectively burned off the planet. That would cause some problems.
    Actually GRB's are a threat due to their intensity - essentially they are large enough to be considered galaxy sterilizing events, and yes that factors in the atmosphere. They're just that powerful.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Even if I thought the world was going to end in 2012 (which I don't) there is no use worrying about it. Is there anything that can be done about it? When its time its time. But at least most apocalyptic theory that I hear about are relatively painless (y'know for dying and all). Like getting smacked with an asteroid or comet. Gamma Ray Burst (thats a fun one), or the universe collapsing on itself, etc etc etc...so don't worry about it. O yea I kinda lied gamma ray bursts would hurt a little.
    Gamma Ray bursts are also directional and would likely only wipe out the population on whichever half of the planet was facing them.

Now that's a thought.

If half of the planet was suddenly empty.

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Dichotomy wrote: »

Now that's a thought.

If half of the planet was suddenly empty.

Gamma Ray bursts would strip away our atmosphere too, so we'd all be gone.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Is it possible for one of the ridiculous doomsday scenarios like gamma rays or whatever absurdity to kill the entire planet but leave the 2 or 3 guys on the international space station or a team of astronauts on a shuttle mission unscathed? Because I've always thought that would be a great idea for a film.

I guess any number of silly non cosmic events doomsdays could work, like nuclear war or whatever.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Is it possible for one of the ridiculous doomsday scenarios like gamma rays or whatever absurdity to kill the entire planet but leave the 2 or 3 guys on the international space station or a team of astronauts on a shuttle mission unscathed? Because I've always thought that would be a great idea for a film.

I guess any number of silly non cosmic events doomsdays could work, like nuclear war or whatever.

0PBF24046BC-Boardgames.jpg

Pretty sure a gamma ray strike just wipes out everything in its path. Space station walls are hardly tougher than our atmosphere.

Æthelred on
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Pretty sure a gamma ray strike just wipes out everything in its path. Space station walls are hardly tougher than our atmosphere.

Don't gamma ray strikes wipe out everything on every planet in every solar system within hundreds of light years of the burst as well?

zerg rush on
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    What exactly does a gamma ray burst not destroy?

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    What exactly does a gamma ray burst not destroy?

Inorganic matter. The Earth would become a ghost-planet in a flash.

Æthelred on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Fun facts about Gamma Ray Bursts:

What Are GRBs?

Gamma-ray bursts (GRBs) are the most luminous events known in the universe since the Big Bang. They are flashes of gamma rays, coming from seemingly random places in the sky and at random times, that last from milliseconds to many minutes, and are often followed by "afterglow" emission at longer wavelengths (X-ray, UV, optical, IR, and radio). Gamma-ray bursts are currently detected by orbiting satellites about 2 to 3 times a week, though their actual rate of occurrence is much higher.

The majority of observed GRBs appear to be due to collimated emission from the core-collapse of a rapidly rotating high-mass star into a black hole.

Can GRBs Kill us All?

One line of research has investigated the consequences of Earth being hit by a beam of gamma rays from a nearby (about 500 light years) gamma ray burst. This is motivated by the efforts to explain mass extinctions on Earth and estimate the probability of extraterrestrial life. The consensus seems to be that the damage that a gamma ray burst could do would be limited by its very short duration, but that a sufficiently close gamma ray burst could do serious damage to the atmosphere, perhaps wiping out the ozone layer and triggering a mass extinction. The damage from a gamma ray burst would probably be significantly greater than a supernova at the same distance.

Comparative work in 2006 on galaxies in which GRBs have occurred suggests that metal-poor galaxies are the most likely candidates. The likelihood of the metal-rich Milky Way galaxy hosting a GRB was estimated at less than 0.15%, significantly reducing the likelihood that a burst has caused mass extinction events on this planet.

TL;DR: Gamma Ray Bursts have the potential to cause a mass extinction event on Earth. However, they are not powerful enough events to "sterilize a galaxy" and likely wouldn't wipe out all life on Earth. Further, the odds of a GRB event occurring close enough to Earth, and also pointed at Earth (the bursts are directional in nature) are infinitesimal at best.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Sometimes I'm amazed at how we find out things. Like, how do we know if a galaxy is metal-poor or metal-rich just by looking at a telescope?

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Sometimes I'm amazed at how we find out things. Like, how do we know if a galaxy is metal-poor or metal-rich just by looking at a telescope?

By examining the emission spectrum of stars, or of the galaxy as a whole.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Modern science is really amazing in that we now learn stuff without even seeing things, on both the macro and the micro scale.

Æthelred on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Seeing only tells a small portion of the story anyhow. It's viewing every other wavelength that has given us the majority of our knowledge.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Gamma Ray Bursts

More like half of the population will become the Hulk!

But yeah the odds of this happening are so slim you might as well forget it. People often forget.. well..
    Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the drug store, but that's just peanuts to space.

Yeah there are huge things of doom hurling through space that could wipe out humanity in an instant.. but it's about as likely as an ant being struck by lighting while walking downtown. Space scale is just so unbelievably huge that a cloud of doom dust the size of the solar system is insignificantly tiny compared to it all.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    You have a higher chance of dying by having a plane crash into your room than by a gamma ray burst.

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Quiet you. Doom bringing things are the reason we must pour money into space exploration and FTL research. Also hydroponics. I demand hydroponic domes. Where the fuck are they?

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Quiet you. Doom bringing things are the reason we must pour money into space exploration and FTL research. Also hydroponics. I demand hydroponic domes. Where the fuck are they?

I thought Commies were the reason we poured money int space exploration. :P

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited August 2007

I thought Commies were the reason we poured money int space exploration. :P
    This is why I'm happy China is doing it.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Money is poured into space exploration because Earth will not be a viable habitat for humanity some day.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Money is poured into space exploration because Earth will not be a viable habitat for humanity some day.

Because of the communists?

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007

Because of Americans!

ege02 on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    ege02 wrote: »

Because of Americans!

Oh snap son!

I like to think that someday, somehow, people will be able to explore the stars.

Colonies all over the vast reaches of the Universe.

Then the intergalactic wars that will surely follow.

Maybe even aliens.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Will the aliens be hot?

Couscous on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2007
    This is how this thread ends:

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
This discussion has been closed.