As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

To Vista or Not to Vista?

MatthasnopantsMatthasnopants Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm starting the process of looking into the laptop I'm going to get for college and they want me to have a windows machine. The big question is do I get a machine that has XP or Vista already on it? Is it worth getting Vista at this point or should I just stick with XP?

Also if anyone has any good suggestions for the laptop itself those would be appreciated. The cost isn't really a huge factor as my parents have generously offered to foot the bill.

Matthasnopants on

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Vista still is not supported by some software.

Alternatively, you are going to have a hard time finding a retail laptop without Vista at the moment.

Did your college give you any valid reason why it needed to have Windows on it?

(Macbook + Bootcamp)??

Jasconius on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    There's really no point in upgrading to Vista unless it does something that you specifically need it to do. At this point it's more expensive, has immature drivers, runs games slightly slower, has many incompatabilities, and is very shiny. If any of that sounds like something you need, then go ahead. Otherwise it would just be best to stick with what you know works until you have a compelling reason to upgrade.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Vista is a better operating system than XP. You have to use it for a month or two to really appreciate it, however. On a new computer, it is what you should get.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Is Vista Home Basic good enough, or do you really need to go for a premium?

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    pacbowlpacbowl Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    There's really no point in upgrading to Vista unless it does something that you specifically need it to do. At this point it's more expensive, has immature drivers, runs games slightly slower, has many incompatabilities, and is very shiny. If any of that sounds like something you need, then go ahead. Otherwise it would just be best to stick with what you know works until you have a compelling reason to upgrade.

I second this. If you don't want to always have to make sure a piece of hardware or software is compliant, get XP. If you want "new" and "slick", get Vista. But your friends printer, scanner or even camera may not work with it.

pacbowl on
    steammicro.php?id=pacbowl&pngimg=background&tborder=0
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Is Vista Home Basic good enough, or do you really need to go for a premium?
    Well, it is best to turn Aero off to maximize battery life anyhow.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    NoodlesNoodles Registered User new member
    edited July 2007
    After recently upgrading to Vista 32 from XP, I find I don't have any driver problems such as with printers or cameras. I appreciate the changes they made to the interface as well, as everything is much more compact. When dealing with a large amount of files, searching for them is much quicker and you have a lot of options to sort them by. I also find Vista handles high desktop resolutions without the microtext eyestrain much better than XP. In my opinion I'd recommend Vista, although it's not an absolute must have.

Noodles on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    At the end of the year, maybe you might want to consider all the DX10 games coming out. That time will be the time to think about Vista. Up until then, when drivers will surely be more stable, Vista is a no-no. I have it dual-booting with XP Pro at present, and I never use Vista at all. It's actually annoying me on start-up that I can't leave the machine or it'll boot by default into Vista :/

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    happysharkhappyshark Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    just got Vista Ultimate. Love it. Its a great improvement after 5+ years of XP...Everything i have works with it. go for it dude!

happyshark on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Rohan wrote: »
    At the end of the year, maybe you might want to consider all the DX10 games coming out. That time will be the time to think about Vista. Up until then, when drivers will surely be more stable, Vista is a no-no. I have it dual-booting with XP Pro at present, and I never use Vista at all. It's actually annoying me on start-up that I can't leave the machine or it'll boot by default into Vista :/
    Look, if the guy is buying a laptop made for vista I don't think "driver stability" is going to be an issue.

I mean I've been running Vista since launch and I have never crashed, and this is a near three year old XP box. My printer didn't work for two months until Lexmark wrote a driver for it. Other than that it has been superior to XP in pretty much every way.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I really like Vista, mostly because it's more stable, loads MS Office faster, and I've become completely addicted to/reliant on hitting the Windows key and typing to find stuff. Still, I probably wouldn't have it if I only used my machine for gaming. I spend a lot of time working with many word, excel, and pdf files, so stuff like the desktop search and thumbnails are useful. Gaming though, there's no advantages yet.

If you're not sure about it, get Business or Ultimate; OEM versions have built-in downgrade rights, so you can use any XP Pro retail or OEM disk and key, reinstall, then put Vista back on when you're comfortable with the drivers and the like.

After a month or so of indexing, updating drivers, and all, it's vastly better than XP.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Desktop search can be done on XP with Google Desktop.

Functionally, that's the only major interface tweak I've seen in Vista. Stick with XP if you have the option, but this is just a laptop, so gaming shouldn't be a priority, so get Vista if you must.

And remember, while most universities "recommend" XP, unless you're a CS major or something you won't have many problems using OS X. XP is only recommended, but OS X with a small Boot Camp partition (there's a good chance you can get a free XP license through your school's MSDN) is going to be one hell of a laptop combo.

Make sure if your university is simply recommending Windows or is actually requiring it's use(which is very unlikely unless you are in computer-science-related majors). If it's just a recommendation, just use OS X. It's incredibly compatible with everything Windows, so there won't be many problems on that front, it'll be stable and last your entire college career, and Apple makes very thin, well-built, and lightweight notebooks.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Desktop search can be done on XP with Google Desktop.

Functionally, that's the only major interface tweak I've seen in Vista. Stick with XP if you have the option, but this is just a laptop, so gaming shouldn't be a priority, so get Vista if you must.

And remember, while most universities "recommend" XP, unless you're a CS major or something you won't have many problems using OS X. XP is only recommended, but OS X with a small Boot Camp partition (there's a good chance you can get a free XP license through your school's MSDN) is going to be one hell of a laptop combo.

Make sure if your university is simply recommending Windows or is actually requiring it's use(which is very unlikely unless you are in computer-science-related majors). If it's just a recommendation, just use OS X. It's incredibly compatible with everything Windows, so there won't be many problems on that front, it'll be stable and last your entire college career, and Apple makes very thin, well-built, and lightweight notebooks.

How does one get a free XP license through one's school's MSDN?

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Are you sure? I know that it doesn't really affect performance.

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If the laptop is not for gaming then get Vista. I've been running it at work since back in December (I think) when we got our MSDN subscription. I have had 0 driver issues. 0 stability issues. 0 software compatibility issues. Most people (not all though) who tell you that Vista has problems X, Y, and Z haven't actually tried Vista yet and are just throwing around FUD they've read on blogs. Seriously, give Vista a shot, and if you don't like it most major universities have agreements with Microsoft so that you can do things like buy XP for ~$10.

I couldn't go back to XP honestly. The new start menu and searching alone are worth it, and no, Google Desktop does not replace that functionality in the same way. Some of my larger apps actually load more quickly than they did under XP (Visual Studio 2005, Photoshop). Superfetch really seems to work once Vista starts to learn what you open and when you open it.

Vista can be a little resource heavy though, so if you do have the option to upgrade the RAM in the machine you're getting I would suggest you do so. At work I've got a P4 2.5GHz w/ 2GB RAM and it seems to be just fine. Heck, at home I've only got 1GB and I don't have any issues either.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Get Windows XP, vista sucks.

Fantasma on
    Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Fantasma wrote: »
    Last time we had one of these didn't you say you hadn't used Vista?

[edit] Yep.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    gneGne wrote: »

Aero runs off the video card, not th CPU, so when you have Aero on the system is pumping a bit more power through the video card than it otherwise would.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    gneGne wrote: »

Aero runs off the video card, not th CPU, so when you have Aero on the system is pumping a bit more power through the video card than it otherwise would.

Vista "remembers" settings, and even turning off Aero's transparency will save power; unplug the machine, turn down the brightness, turn off transparency (which still maintains thumbnails) and you have an easy low-power mode. Bumps my machine by about half an hour or forty-five minutes.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    Butterfly4uButterfly4u Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You're going to have a hell of a time finding a new labtop without Vista. You'll probably have to do the same thing I did. I hated my labtop when I first got it from Best Buy. It had Vista and 250 trial programs. It was slow, it fucked with my internets with all of the security shit, and some of my old games wouldn't run on it. The Geek Squad was going to charge me over a $100 to "customize" my computer. I decided in the long run that I didn't like Vista anyway so I had a friend erase the whole damn mess. He installed XP and some new drivers. It runs awesome now.

Butterfly4u on
    Butterfly
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Google Desktop does do the exact same thing as being able to push Windows and start typing. Not quite as streamlined (you may have to map it to ctrl+enter), but it is the same thing with virtually the same effort.

Now, to find out if your school offers a free copy of XP with MSDN, you will have to find out through your school. Call whoever is in charge of their tech stuff, because normally they would send you an email about this or give you some sort of info. Then you can go to the website, download XP onto an ISO, get a legit key, then install it. I'm not sure if you'll have XP still, though, they may have already started to only offer a copy of Vista.

Still, if you're not using it for gaming then Vista is the way to go. However, make absolutely sure XP/Vista is necessary, because I would recommend OS X over both.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Last time we had one of these didn't you say you hadn't used Vista?

[edit] Yep.

That was yesterday dude, and this is today. I have used the White Elephant called Windows Vista, and guess what?, it sucks.

Fantasma on
    Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    That was yesterday dude, and this is today. I have used the White Elephant called Windows Vista, and guess what?, it sucks.
    Really? Explain to me (and the OP) why you believe it sucks. Since you're trying to convince others that it sucks it seems like you might take the time to say "here's why I don't like Vista." Instead you've continued to just cop a shitty attitude about it. At least the others that don't like Vista explained themselves.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    This is not a Crusade on my part against Vista, I say it sucks because that's the impression I have after reading how it was rushed to the consumers, while so many promised features, enhancements were just removed, and also after using it, so don't take things so personal, life is short.

I continue using Windows XP, even after trying Windows Vista. 1 Gigabyte of ram was not enough to run Vista, Windows XP runs fine with 512 megabytes, of course, it is possible to turn off Aero and things could go way better, but why? is not Aero an improvement?, people like the eye candy.

I am using some exotic hardware too that does not run in Vista, and the manufacturer has stated it has no plans to write drivers for Vista. In certain way, I am forced to keep XP, in addition, I can customize XP in a way that practically flys and the peformance is clearly superior.

Fantasma on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    This is not a Crusade on my part against Vista, I say it sucks because that's the impression I have after reading how it was rushed to the consumers, while so many promised features, enhancements were just removed, and also after using it, so don't take things so personal, life is short.

I continue using Windows XP, even after trying Windows Vista. 1 Gigabyte of ram was not enough to run Vista, Windows XP runs fine with 512 megabytes, of course, it is possible to turn off Aero and things could go way better, but why? is not Aero an improvement?, people like the eye candy.

I am using some exotic hardware too that does not run in Vista, and the manufacturer has stated it has no plans to write drivers for Vista. In certain way, I am forced to keep XP, in addition, I can customize XP in a way that practically flys and the peformance is clearly superior.
    I'm not really trying to take it personally; I just felt you ran in and did a drive-by flaming which I didn't think was fair to the OP if he's trying to make an informed decision. Sorry if I caused offense, I have apparently started to become a Microsoft fanboy! :P

I run Vista @ home with a gig of RAM and an nVidia FX5200 with Aero on and I have no issues. I seem to be the minority in that case though. At work 2GB and an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro, again, no problems.

Drivers are not Vista's or Microsoft's fault. A vendor saying "I have no plans to write drivers for major operating system X" is a jackass and should not hold a position where they get to make that decision. I guess all my evidence is anecdotal, but the tests I've ran on apps in Vista compared to XP (on the same hardware) is showing that, so far, Vista is running things much more efficiently than XP did. Plus the rewritten network stack is basically a god-send. :)

iTunesIsEvil on