As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Prog and other unlistenable music

• Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Poldy, you've got to be one of the most incurable dicks I've seen on this forum.

hurf durf i like indie it resonates with me god i cant understand why anybody can like anything else because the music i like is so great hurf durf

Bob The Monkey on
  • Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    As I am someone who has backstage passes to a Dream Theater concert this week, I say fuck off to those who bitch about them. If you don't like 15 minute songs with extremely gratuitous instrumental bits then guess what! You don't have to listen to them! I, for one, happen to like Dream Theater a whole lot because they are extremely talented musicians, they know it, and their songs show it.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Snork wrote: »
    The Cheese wrote: »
    you basically said that if you don't like prog-rock you're stupid

which is a dumb thing to say

and pretentious

And the OP basically said if you do like prog you're stupid.

This thread is retarded.

I hate Tool, but I don't hate them because they're overblown and ridiculous. I listen to Dream Theatre every once and a while. There is no inherent goodness in music just because it is in weird time signatures with weird chords, but no inherent badness either.

But let's be serious, anyway. Dream Theatre has not been worthy of the name 'progressive' for a long time. All of their albums sound the same, they aren't progressing anywhere.

You must be joking.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    How can a band called neutral milk hotel resonate with anyone?

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Shoggoth wrote: »
    XenosX_ wrote: »
    WorLord wrote: »
    snip
    2) Yes you can assume a pretense. A pretense is (if I may quote the dictionary again) a "a false show of something" or "a piece of make-believe". The make-believe in this case is that you are smarter than other people because you listen to music written in 14/8 or whatever.

I feel that there is an extremely fine line here... I am a huge progressive rock fan, and one of the reasons I listen to so much of it is because of the complex syncopated rhythms and varying time signatures. However, even though I think most would agree that playing in 29/8 is more mentally taxing, and ergo, intellectual (as far as keeping time goes) than playing in 4/4, I think that very few people would listen to something in 29/8 just to feel superior to those who would not be able to follow the rhythm.

Whether or not you think that being good with unconventional meter makes you smarter, I listen to it because it interests me, the same way that I read stuff like 'House of Leaves' as opposed to reading stuff like 'The Catcher in the Rye'. I would not consider the latter especially complex with respect to language or structure, but it is nonetheless good, and certainly visceral. I still find the former more rewarding. To think that I enjoy progressive rock and Danielewski because I have some bizarre inferiority complex is itself a pretense.

I know lots of people (hey, most of them even play instruments) who listen to music like Dream Theater entirely because it is difficult to play, and they will often scoff at playing a simple piece. In short, their full of shit.

Now I know you probably don't listen to Dream Theater to feel superior, but a lot of people do. Some people feel that listening to this kind of music is literally above listening something like the Beatles. These people usually make a huge impression on others. I think that's why bands like Dream Theater incite such venomous outcry , because some of their fans are fucking annoying.

Yet *suprise suprise!* there are Beatles fans who have that same pretentious attitude of "if you don't think they're the greatest you're an idiot." See this attitude isn't mutually exclusive amongst Dream Theater or prog rock/metal fans, you can find it in any sort of music. So as superunkown said you're generalizing.

CptKemzik on
  • Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think the point we need to make here is that elitists are dickheads remarkable of musical preference, and that music should be judged on its individual merits rather than by its genre.

The only thing that confuses me is why that wasn't said in the first reply to this thread.

Bob The Monkey on
  • SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think the point we need to make here is that elitists are dickheads remarkable of musical preference, and that music should be judged on its individual merits rather than by its genre.

The only thing that confuses me is why that wasn't said in the first reply to this thread.

Word. Why can't more people just get this?

This thread was destined for greatness.

Snork on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Variable wrote: »
    not really.

edit - but he doesn't run out of words. people don't actually ever do that in songs... so saying that's the reason is obviously ridiculous. if he sings gibberish, as with any other singer, it's because that's what he wanted to sing right there.

so that in and of itself isn't a great reason to say he's bad. if you don't like him, I totally get that, but I very much do.

I even like RHCP, Blood Sugar Sex Magik days at least, but this poppy shit they're pumping out hurts my amygdala. It's just nonsensical crap for the most part; I will respect the fact that he can deliver decent combinations of words, but it's like a schizophrenic patient with word salad, in that it makes sense grammatically but has absolutely no substance.

I am fine with disagreeing on this, and I'm not trying to say he's the deepest person around, just my favorite.

I also enjoy lyrics different than most people, I'm way more into the sound of the words than needing some deep meaning. not that I have a problem with the latter, but it rarely is pulled off in a way I enjoy it.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    edited July 2007
    I was never all that fond of Anthony Kiedis' lyrics, but you have to admit that he is a perfect fit for RHCP.

Snork on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    yeah. again, and as you can see, I don't rabidly defend it, it's just what I like for whatever reason.

I don't suspect it will be my favorite forever, but I'm just into it for like, a year now, been my favorite band.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Is it wrong that I initially thought this was about progressive techno, not rock?

Anyway, I like Tool, though I like A Perfect Circle more, for whatever that's worth.

I'm not sure how you'd classify the difference, but the latter's music seems more melodic to me.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • The CheeseThe Cheese Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    XenosX_ wrote: »
    WorLord wrote: »
    snip
    2) Yes you can assume a pretense. A pretense is (if I may quote the dictionary again) a "a false show of something" or "a piece of make-believe". The make-believe in this case is that you are smarter than other people because you listen to music written in 14/8 or whatever.

I feel that there is an extremely fine line here... I am a huge progressive rock fan, and one of the reasons I listen to so much of it is because of the complex syncopated rhythms and varying time signatures. However, even though I think most would agree that playing in 29/8 is more mentally taxing, and ergo, intellectual (as far as keeping time goes) than playing in 4/4, I think that very few people would listen to something in 29/8 just to feel superior to those who would not be able to follow the rhythm.

Whether or not you think that being good with unconventional meter makes you smarter, I listen to it because it interests me, the same way that I read stuff like 'House of Leaves' as opposed to reading stuff like 'The Catcher in the Rye'. I would not consider the latter especially complex with respect to language or structure, but it is nonetheless good, and certainly visceral. I still find the former more rewarding. To think that I enjoy progressive rock and Danielewski because I have some bizarre inferiority complex is itself a pretense.

I was speaking directly to Worlord. I think we would find that I like a lot of the same music as him, really, but he's being a cunt about this.

The Cheese on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    not really.

edit - but he doesn't run out of words. people don't actually ever do that in songs... so saying that's the reason is obviously ridiculous. if he sings gibberish, as with any other singer, it's because that's what he wanted to sing right there.

so that in and of itself isn't a great reason to say he's bad. if you don't like him, I totally get that, but I very much do.

I even like RHCP, Blood Sugar Sex Magik days at least, but this poppy shit they're pumping out hurts my amygdala. It's just nonsensical crap for the most part; I will respect the fact that he can deliver decent combinations of words, but it's like a schizophrenic patient with word salad, in that it makes sense grammatically but has absolutely no substance.

RHCP are actually my favorite band, and yes, while the actual lyrics of whole songs aren't always cohesive, the lines themselves always make sense at least. That's more than I can say for the godawful Tool line quoted earlier in this thread.

And I assume in Around the World, you're talking about the "Ding dang dong dong ding dang ding dong ding dang"? Well, he is singing about different countries/locations around the world (hence the title of the song), and I always imagined this as his view on an Asian language (a language he can't understand and which, coincidentally, may sound something like that to his ears). Remember that the Peppers biggest fanbases are in the UK and Japan.

UnbreakableVow on
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Most times I'm not in the mood for Tool's music. But when I am I fucking love it. It seems like everyone that hates the band does so because they're too ashamed not to. Not a very mature way to go about with your musical tastes.

Hoz on
    edited July 2007
    I am curious about why people like that really weird stuff.
    I just thing weird stuff sounds good.
    I think Here Comes the Indian by Animal Collective is a fantastic record, but I know that it is fucking ridiculously weird and I am very very lucky to know other human beings in person that enjoy it like i do. I also think I'm very lucky to have the scope of taste that I do. I don't think there is a genre of music that I wholesale do not like, not even one band/album/song from. I just like stuff that I think sounds good. A lot of the time that's really weird shit, and I know it, but I like the way it sounds.

I don't think it has to be any deeper than that.

Snork on
  • UndefinedMonkeyUndefinedMonkey Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    necroSYS wrote: »
    Magicawe wrote: »
    Tool was great for that, in much the same way that Metallica was great for not talking about dungeons and vipers and altars and hair.

Are we listening to the same Metallica? Whiplash, Metal Militia, Escape, The Thing That Should Not Be, etc.?

I enjoy Metallica but to say they don't write lyrics about cliché things is fuckin silly.

Not to mention Creeping Death, Wherever I May Roam, Call of Kutulu, etc.

Yeah, that's true. I should have said it wasn't what they were all about.

UndefinedMonkey on
    This space intentionally left blank.
  • SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've got a pretty good background in music theory, so I know all about time signatures. Wikipedia's List of musical works in unusual time signatures confuses the hell out of me, though.

Surely 41/16 and 65/16 time aren't correct. I don't have the pieces in question so I can't listen to them. I assume 65/16 is broken into 16+16+16+16+1, but surely there's a better way of representing that?

SUPERSUGA on
  • SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    SUPERSUGA wrote: »
    I've got a pretty good background in music theory, so I know all about time signatures. Wikipedia's List of musical works in unusual time signatures confuses the hell out of me, though.

Surely 41/16 and 65/16 time aren't correct. I don't have the pieces in question so I can't listen to them. I assume 65/16 is broken into 16+16+16+16+1, but surely there's a better way of representing that?

It depends. I remember playing a song where instead of having a time signature like that it switched between a bunch of time signatures at each bar, with the intent that of suggesting how you were supposed to phrase it.

I have some music which may have a time signature like that, or at least will periodically abandon the time signatures.

Edit: I have the 65/16 song, and the way they break it down on wikipedia (14+17+17+12+5) sounds about right. It's not a very high tempo song

Savant on
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    CptKemzik wrote: »
    listen to it because it interests me, the same way that I read stuff like 'House of Leaves' as opposed to reading stuff like 'The Catcher in the Rye'. I would not consider the latter especially complex with respect to language or structure, but it is nonetheless good, and certainly visceral. I still find the former more rewarding.

Hahahahahahahahahahah

I don't know much about prog rock, but if it's as overblown and pretentious as the psuedo-literary 'House of Leaves' then I'll take a pass.

MrMister on
  • SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh my: Math Rock
    It was invented by a friend of ours as a derogatory term for a band me and James (Lo) played in called Wider. But his whole joke is that he'd watch the song and not react at all, and then take out his calculator to figure out how good the song was. So he'd call it math rock, and it was a total diss, as it should be

Savant on
    edited July 2007
    Some math rock is actually really good. See: Maps and Atlases.

@MrMister: Good job dismissing an entire musical genre because you didn't like a book. :^:

Snork on
  • MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Snork wrote: »
    Some math rock is actually really good. See: Maps and Atlases.

@MrMister: Good job dismissing an entire musical genre because you didn't like a book. :^:

All he wanted to do was take a stab at the book... fucking annoying things like that are.

"Everybody likes this and I don't so every time it comes up I must denounce it snobbishly to show my disdain."

Mgcw on
  • ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I will retract my statement of "a lot of people", excuse me.

Actually you know what? I'm not really generalizing except for that slip up, it's borderline I know, but I pretty much said "some people" not "all of them", so no.

I'm not going to go back and edit my language for clarity because what the hell, but my point is SOME PEOPLE NOT ALL, listen to that kind of music for the reasons stated. Of course there are the same people in every genre just like Beatles fans, god. The reasons are completely different tho, some one who listens to the Beatles isn't listening to them to hear some 64th notes, just like some one who listens to Dream Theater isn't waiting for some vocal harmony or lyrics about love.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Heh, Tool is to metal lyrics as Red Hot Chili Peppers is to rock lyrics. Unfortunately, the vast majority of exposed music has shitty, pseudo-deep lyrics that, upon deeper investigation, make absolutely no sense.

you take that back about the chili peppers.

he is my favorite lyricist.

unless it was your way of saying Tool is awesome.

I... uhhh...

The fucker runs out of words in Around the World. He runs out of words for an entire verse. He spouts gibberish for an entire verse. Your favorite lyricist has the writing skill of a 1-year-old.

Then I guess Minnie the Moocher must be a terrible song, because there are entire verses of scat.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    edited July 2007
    You know Cab Calloway recorded a disco version of Minnie the Moocher around the time Blues Brothers came out and when the director wanted him to sing the original version he was like, what? That's not what the kids like these days.

I always found that hilarious.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You know Cab Calloway recorded a disco version of Minnie the Moocher around the time Blues Brothers came out and when the director wanted him to sing the original version he was like, what? That's not what the kids like these days.

I always found that hilarious.

That's great.

That reminds me of Miles Davis collaborating with Scritti Politti towards the end of his life.

Anyway, the point is that lots of musicians use meaningless syllables to musical effect. Saying that this implies that the songwriter is a poor lyricist is as asinine as saying that instrumental sections only exist because lyricists couldn't think of something to say over them.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    Heh, Tool is to metal lyrics as Red Hot Chili Peppers is to rock lyrics. Unfortunately, the vast majority of exposed music has shitty, pseudo-deep lyrics that, upon deeper investigation, make absolutely no sense.

you take that back about the chili peppers.

he is my favorite lyricist.

unless it was your way of saying Tool is awesome.

I... uhhh...

The fucker runs out of words in Around the World. He runs out of words for an entire verse. He spouts gibberish for an entire verse. Your favorite lyricist has the writing skill of a 1-year-old.

Then I guess Minnie the Moocher must be a terrible song, because there are entire verses of scat.

Yeah. You might even say it was utter shit.
    Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

And that part of Around the World was done on purpose. I mean, shit, it wasn't even during a verse; it was the chorus. All he had to do was use the same words from the previous two iterations of the chorus. He didn't "run out of words", he purposefully used the "gibberish" because he felt like changing it up, or whatever his motivation was. It's not an indication of his lack of lyrical skills.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited July 2007
    Yep.

Also, do you have any idea how hard it is to write what Hippie calls "word salad?" It's tough. I listen to a lot of bands that write that way - Soul Coughing, Underworld, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Interpol, etc. Trying to emulate their songwriting and making it actually interesting is harder than it sounds. And I'm not going to jump to the conclusion that just because lyrics don't explicitly state their meaning that they are in fact meaningless - again, it's as asinine as saying that abstract art isn't art because it doesn't represent any real objects.

Feral on

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yep.

Also, do you have any idea how hard it is to write what Hippie calls "word salad?" It's tough. I listen to a lot of bands that write that way - Soul Coughing, Underworld, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Interpol, etc. Trying to emulate their songwriting and making it actually interesting is harder than it sounds. And I'm not going to jump to the conclusion that just because lyrics don't explicitly state their meaning that they are in fact meaningless - again, it's as asinine as saying that abstract art isn't art because it doesn't represent any real objects.

Good scat isn't exactly easy either. It's really easy to fall into the same few sounds so that you end up sounding like a kid "doo doo doo"-ing one of their songs.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    "Everybody likes this and I don't so every time it comes up I must denounce it snobbishly to show my disdain."

I just found it hilarious to use 'House of Leaves' (oh, wait, sorry, House Of Leaves) as an example of something difficult yet rewarding. It is, also, in many ways topical, because said book loaded up on unneccessary bells and whistles (oh boy, the text wraps around the page) and masturbatory self-reference (a book within a book within a shut up) to the point where it murdered the actual story. Which, it seems, is much what people are accusing prog rock of.

My first thought upon seeing the comparison was "jesus christ, if this is to music as House of Leaves is to books..."

MrMister on
    edited July 2007
    MrMister wrote: »

I just found it hilarious to use 'House of Leaves' (oh, wait, sorry, House Of Leaves) as an example of something difficult yet rewarding. It is, also, in many ways topical, because said book loaded up on unneccessary bells and whistles (oh boy, the text wraps around the page) and masturbatory self-reference (a book within a book within a shut up) to the point where it murdered the actual story. Which, it seems, is much what people are accusing prog rock of.

My first thought upon seeing the comparison was "jesus christ, if this is to music as House of Leaves is to books..."
    Actually, it's House of Leaves, DOUCHEBAGSquiggle_Bang.png

Although I have to admit, HoL :: Novels :: Prog Rock : Music actually isn't that bad of a comparison. I like both.

Snork on
  • Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Savant wrote: »
    SUPERSUGA wrote: »

It depends. I remember playing a song where instead of having a time signature like that it switched between a bunch of time signatures at each bar, with the intent that of suggesting how you were supposed to phrase it.

I have some music which may have a time signature like that, or at least will periodically abandon the time signatures.

Edit: I have the 65/16 song, and the way they break it down on wikipedia (14+17+17+12+5) sounds about right. It's not a very high tempo song

The guy who wrote the 41/16 song is into microtonality. So really there is a chance that it's just a lost cause.

I jest, I jest.

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2007
    Bulgarian dances are often in goofy-ass time signatures like that. My theory teacher played two songs for us one day in class by this Bulgarian guy whose name I cannot remember, one of which was in 33/16 and the other in 7/8. The first song had a blindingly fast tempo and was so difficult to follow, and the second was kind of slow and featured a trumpet with a ring mod.

I was the only person who guessed that it was a trumpet with a ring mod.

So yeah, weird sigged music like that exists outside of the desire for pure weirdness. Bulgarian folk music. How about that.

Snork on
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You know Cab Calloway recorded a disco version of Minnie the Moocher

That's the worst thing I've heard today.

Gim on
    edited July 2007
    Gim wrote: »
    You know Cab Calloway recorded a disco version of Minnie the Moocher

That's the worst thing I've heard today.

I'm pretty sure it's disco, I went to see the anniversary release of Blues brother like last year or some shit and before the movie they had this cool interview with the cast and director, to which he related that little story.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Fuck you all with your "if its doing something unusual it must be pretentious and can't possibly be good". I love Dark Side of the Moon and always will.
    I haven't actually read anything past the first two pages so if you haven't been saying that just ignore and carry on.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yep.

I like Interpol a lot, but I've never realized until now just how lyrically similar they are to RHCP.

UnbreakableVow on
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    MrMister wrote: »

It's not.

MikeMan on
  • CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    duderz prog music is so pretentious ololol omg its so masturbatory there's noting gudd about it, guyz am i cool yet.

How about you actually listen to some before bashing it. If you don't like it, cool that's what different musical tastes are about. But shut the fuck up if you're going to tell me music that I enjoy is pretentious and shallow and abloobloobloo. I don't care if you think prog is the musical equivalent of house of leaves just as you probably don't care that I think the indie scene is full of pricks with rods jammed up their asses.

CptKemzik on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    People who wank on their instruments are no different than the lazy slobs who throw their guitar up at their amps and scream over feedback.

Seen both. I'm sure people have reasons for liking them. I'm not big into them, but I don't bash other people for it.

The OP is just another Mill Ave hipster wannabee, too full of themselves for liking whatever Pitchfork likes and proud to tell you all about it to actually enjoy music for music. The minute you can diss someone for liking someone is the minute the whole point of music is lost, and I wish every person who uses it as a social wedge to die in a fire.

jungleroomx on