As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

EA - No, only we make the foozballz games!

Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Games and Technology
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=14871

Seems like EA is developing a plan to make sure All Pro Football 2K8 never has a sequel. It doesn't say how they'll do it, but it'm pretty sure it will involve trash bags full of money give to NFL legends.

They'll probably outbid 2K on the individuals and just up and steal the idea and add it to madden or make a separate game... either way, I hate you EA and probably always will

pasigfa7.jpg
Kewop Decam on

• Options
    DaybreakDaybreak Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Everyone should go out and buy 2k8 right now. It's a good game, and it sticks it to EA, so win-win.

Daybreak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The ListenerThe Listener Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Does this mean that EA will finally put the customization options into their Next Gen football games like the last gen games had? (I'm looking at you, Create a Team...) Or will it just mean that cash will be exchanged, and Madden 09 will drop yet another feature for some sort of gimmick that only get used once by most people?

The Listener on
  • Options
    thegloamingthegloaming Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I know it's not hip any more to hate on EA, but god damn, fuck you EA.

thegloaming on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Daybreak wrote: »
    Everyone should go out and buy 2k8 right now. It's a good game, and it sticks it to EA, so win-win.

Yep, it is a damn fine game

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    HalberdBlueHalberdBlue Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    EA giveth

Kane_CNC3_1156357646.jpg

and EA taketh

nfl-2k5-707811.jpg

HalberdBlue on
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If they somehow ruin 2k's football shot again, I swear to God Kewop and I will be at EA's hq the next day with anger to be resolved.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    FinsterFinster Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    mugginns wrote: »
    If they somehow ruin 2k's football shot again, I swear to God Kewop and I will be at EA's hq the next day with anger to be resolved.

I'll bring the biological weapons. I was thinking some pet food from China should do the trick.

Finster on
    herpderp
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    mugginns wrote: »

sad part is, I already know how they will do it... just throwing more money at said legends.

FUCK EA!!! I don't want your games, but damn do you have to kill other games I want?

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Jesus. I mean, I'm all for healthy competition and EA saying that its football game is the best, but EA saying they don't want their competitor's game to be "repeatable" is a king whopper of a dick move.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    THIS is the reason I boycott EA, because they pull shit like this.

The American economic system is about winning the market by producing the best product, not creating barriers to entry for all competitors.

Also, the overall tone of the quotes in the article suggested to me that EA doesn't think of their franchise as being "Madden" or even "the NFL" but as being American Football in its entirety. That is a pretty big piss off, to think that they somehow have a RIGHT to control, essentially, and entire genre.

Evander on
  • Options
    FinsterFinster Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Evander wrote: »

The American economic system is about winning the market by producing the best product, not creating barriers to entry for all competitors.

Also, the overall tone of the quotes in the article suggested to me that EA doesn't think of their franchise as being "Madden" or even "the NFL" but as being American Football in its entirety. That is a pretty big piss off, to think that they somehow have a RIGHT to control, essentially, and entire genre.

Yeah, that's exactly my problem with them. They NEVER think about controlling a genre BY THE QUALITY OF THEIR PRODUCT! OH, NO! It's always about spending money on locking up licenses so no one else can use them. EA just happened to luck out that the sports game genre is really the only genre where they can do this.

If there were a way to buy exclusive rights to any other genre EA would be all over that. Imagine that, EA BUYS RIGHTS TO EXCLUSIVE FPS DEVELOPMENT RIGHTS. IN OTHER NEWS, VALVE, BUNGIE, ID, AND EPIC GAMES EARN BILLIONS FROM NEW EXCLUSIVITY DEALS WITH EA.

I hate EA. So much.

Finster on
    herpderp
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

This. This so hard. This is, like, EA's entire business model. Salt the Earth so no creativity may grow again.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_antitrust_law

I know I know it won't fly but FFS this is the kind of shit Microsoft pulled IMO.

I'm not a big football fan. The last 2 games I bought were 2k for Dreamcast and Madden on the Wii (waggle FTW) and I'm almost tempted to pick this one up now. The only iffy thing being the OJ slice and dice thing.

powersurge on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    EA wouldn't be stopping 2k from making a football game, they could still do that. So the anti-trust stuff won't fly unfortunately.

The OJ stuff is really a non-issue.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't play football games, so maybe this is a dumb question, but how big a deal would it be for the next iteration of this game to have completely made up athletes that are thinly veiled analogues of real players?

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    BrueBrue Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think the most important factor of nfl 2k8 is that you can have O.J. Simpson on a team called the Assassins... seems like win win to me really.

Brue on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    I don't play football games, so maybe this is a dumb question, but how big a deal would it be for the next iteration of this game to have completely made up athletes that are thinly veiled analogues of real players?

It would be really, really easy for developers to do.

But no one would buy it. The market, for the most part, demands players bearing the names of actual pros.

This is why EA's moves are nowhere close to a monopoly (since competitors can, technically, exist), but will still crush any other football games.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Brue wrote: »
    I think the most important factor of nfl 2k8 is that you can have O.J. Simpson on a team called the Assassins... seems like win win to me really.

That isn't the team he is on in the game. That is the one that gametrailers.com put him on to get traffic to their site and their name out on the web. Customized.

And a game with just generic players would unfortunately not sell very well. APF has a rough time and it has real players in it.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Interesting anecdote that people might already know, but..

One of my professor's worked at EA while they were making "Next-Gen Madden", the first Madden for the 360 ('06 I think it was?). They had all these awesome ideas planned, stuff that was never in previous Madden games. One thing was going to be a dynamic music system that had some energetic and tense classical music go along with the game play, almost like a Rez-Madden in idea. Also, they were actually making the game to look as good as those initial bullshot screens that were released, they were making a new and improved engine.

However, that was right as EA bought the license, immediately after they scrapped all those ideas, took the engine from the '05 version, slapped slightly improved textures on it and called it a day.

The reason it was going to have all those features was because of the amount of copies 2k5 sold (stole from EA), and this competition did exactly what competition tends to do, make each party create better products. So the EA studio was actually hard at work to really improve the Madden franchise, and the higher ups scrapped it because they did need to anymore, they had the license.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    mtvcdm wrote: »

This. This so hard. This is, like, EA's entire business model. Salt the Earth so no creativity may grow again.

Yup.

It is like, they have never heard of the term "crop rotation". They farm one field until it is completely barren, and then move on.

And, as far as football games with generic players, they exist, and one look at the sales and you'll see that consumers want names and teams that they recognize. Asside from the obvious, I'd imagine that it also makes it easier for them to remember the stats of individual teams and players (as long as they are made realistically) because they are already familiar with them in real life, rather than having to memorize a whole new set of imaginary players.

As far as anti-trust, and the like, there is NOTHING that EA has done illegally here. It's an ethics question, not one of legality.

Evander on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    mtvcdm wrote: »

Yup.

It is like, they have never heard of the term "crop rotation". They farm one field until it is completely barren, and then move on.

And, as far as football games with generic players, they exist, and one look at the sales and you'll see that consumers want names and teams that they recognize. Asside from the obvious, I'd imagine that it also makes it easier for them to remember the stats of individual teams and players (as long as they are made realistically) because they are already familiar with them in real life, rather than having to memorize a whole new set of imaginary players.

As far as anti-trust, and the like, there is NOTHING that EA has done illegally here. It's an ethics question, not one of legality.

lol, what ethics? EA seems to not have any.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Darmak wrote: »
    lol, what ethics? EA seems to not have any.

And thus, we have come full circle in my explanation of why I boycott EA.

;)

Evander on
  • Options
    Bouncing_SoulBouncing_Soul Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Didn't Winning Eleven/Pro Evolution do this?

Bouncing_Soul on
    Umlauf.gif
    Buy some useless stuff at my Cafepress site!
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Didn't Winning Eleven/Pro Evolution do this?

Yeah, but they didn't really have to go up against the juggernaut that is Madden. Madden has been around for 15+ years.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    unless they make a Forza 2 type of football game where you can make logos, they have no chance.

I would love a game like that because then I would make highschool teams play college teams and college play NFL.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So the next question is: why not just make it possible for users to change the names of the generic players and also allow user to download custom roster updates, thus turning the thinly veiled analogues into the real players? Assuming the roster updates are user created and not hosted by 2k Sports, that should be legal.

Also, I keep hearing people say this, a new Mutant League Football would probably be a welcome addition to football games. Hell, I'd take a Mario Strikers type arcade football game if someone would make it. But I'm clearly not the gamer that Madden/NCAA football games are aimed at.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    So the next question is: why not just make it possible for users to change the names of the generic players and also allow user to download custom roster updates, thus turning the thinly veiled analogues into the real players? Assuming the roster updates are user created and not hosted by 2k Sports, that should be legal.

Also, I keep hearing people say this, a new Mutant League Football would probably be a welcome addition to football games. Hell, I'd take a Mario Strikers type arcade football game if someone would make it. But I'm clearly not the gamer that Madden/NCAA football games are aimed at.

Yeah, something like that might sell some copies. They didn't do that with APF because they didn't want to end-run the NFL before they tried to re-buy the NFL contract.

Mutant League would be fun, but not really the same target audience.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007

I think the barrier there is the sheer ammount of effort, plus EA and/or the NFL would probably try to mount a lawsuit anyway, even though it's really not illegal, just to make it more of a hassle for the company to do it.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

I think the barrier there is the sheer ammount of effort, plus EA and/or the NFL would probably try to mount a lawsuit anyway, even though it's really not illegal, just to make it more of a hassle for the company to do it.

Indeed. Having the players' names already in is just too huge an advantage.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    ultrapeanutultrapeanut Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This is pretty galling, considering how undeniably massive their lead already is. It doesn't really help a company's reputation for being an evil fucking conglomerate if they publicly make statements about trying to make sure other, much smaller projects fail.

I love the way they implemented legends in 2k8, but if 2k10 (that's going to be awkward) ends up being completely generic with PES-style customization, all the better. I don't understand why 2k is chasing the "maybe the NFL will like us again!" dream in the first place and hamstringing their own game in the process, but a cooperative attempt to derail their beloved series again would hopefully be enough of an impetus for them to unleash the fucking fury.

ultrapeanut on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    this is shitty news, but what ive played of APF hasnt really left a great impression in my mind.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
  • Options
    slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    As I said in another thread similar to this one, I never understood why a company would pay $Texas for a major league sports license.

Just about every sports game in the past 15+ years have had customization options, where you can make all your own players, rosters, teams, leagues, etc. The Hardball series back in the late 80's-early 90's even let you draw your own logos and such.

As popular as this intertrons the kids talk about nowadays is, I can't imagine it would be difficult in the slightest for fans to create the real rosters, players, and teams and throw them up for people to download. Hell, there's people out there that would keep updated rosters available every week. At the worst, a game would have save files available with accurate rosters or have custom logos/uniforms of the "real" teams.

Am I just crazy, or am I the only one who would buy a "generic" sports game that had a massive customization system, assuming it was a good game? If 2K Sports came out with a total no-name football game with a huge "Create-A-Everything" section, I'd buy it. Hell, I'd buy just about any sports game that had that.

Or is everyone just so lazy, they just want static rosters that are 5+ months out of date on launch day?

EDIT: Having said all that, I plan on getting APF because Joe Montana is in there. However, Joe Montana has been active for the past decade in EVERY sports title I've ever played. Even rasslin'.

slurpeepoop on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    You forget that footbal games specifically extend beyond the normal bounds of the market, and hit demographics who don't necessarily wqant to bother with customization. I'm not trying to stereotype "madden gamers" here, but you have to remember that the NFL themselves pushes Madden, and even pushed it before the exclusivity deal. There is a tradition of playing a game of Madden before the Superbowl, between the two finalists. Football games, more os than other games, reallyhave to keep thegeneral consumer in mind.

Evander on
  • Options
    DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    As I said in another thread similar to this one, I never understood why a company would pay $Texas for a major league sports license.

Just about every sports game in the past 15+ years have had customization options, where you can make all your own players, rosters, teams, leagues, etc. The Hardball series back in the late 80's-early 90's even let you draw your own logos and such.

As popular as this intertrons the kids talk about nowadays is, I can't imagine it would be difficult in the slightest for fans to create the real rosters, players, and teams and throw them up for people to download. Hell, there's people out there that would keep updated rosters available every week. At the worst, a game would have save files available with accurate rosters or have custom logos/uniforms of the "real" teams.

Am I just crazy, or am I the only one who would buy a "generic" sports game that had a massive customization system, assuming it was a good game? If 2K Sports came out with a total no-name football game with a huge "Create-A-Everything" section, I'd buy it. Hell, I'd buy just about any sports game that had that.

Or is everyone just so lazy, they just want static rosters that are 5+ months out of date on launch day?

EDIT: Having said all that, I plan on getting APF because Joe Montana is in there. However, Joe Montana has been active for the past decade in EVERY sports title I've ever played. Even rasslin'.

There are 52 (55?) players per team and 32 teams. That's 1664 players to customize. Even just changing the names would be annoying. Not to mention that the announcers would never say the names, and remembering the old 16 bit days, hearing 'Number 13 completes to Number 80" over and over is mundane. I would put up with all this, if there wasn't an alternative that already had this done for me for the exact same price.

DesertBox on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    DesertBox wrote: »

There are 52 (55?) players per team and 32 teams. That's 1664 players to customize. Even just changing the names would be annoying. Not to mention that the announcers would never say the names, and remembering the old 16 bit days, hearing 'Number 13 completes to Number 80" over and over is mundane. I would put up with all this, if there wasn't an alternative that already had this done for me for the exact same price.

I take it that you've never played an Elder Scrolls game. Some fans are completely insane.

If you're doing a good customization system, why not allow voice clips to be recorded for the names? How much bandwidth/disk space would that take up?

jothki on
  • Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I wonder how well a football game would do if it were sci-fi/fantasy themed.

Keep all the real life rules, but add in themed teams with individual players. Spartans vs. Knights of the Round Table. Mongolians vs. Gladiators.

I'm such a fucking nerd.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    jothki wrote: »

I take it that you've never played an Elder Scrolls game. Some fans are completely insane.

If you're doing a good customization system, why not allow voice clips to be recorded for the names? How much bandwidth/disk space would that take up?

It's not so much that it CAN be done, but why would the average person (who doesn't know about EA's asshattery) bother when EA's games already come that way?

DesertBox on
  • Options
    A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Nerdtendo wrote: »
    I wonder how well a football game would do if it were sci-fi/fantasy themed.

Keep all the real life rules, but add in themed teams with individual players. Spartans vs. Knights of the Round Table. Mongolians vs. Gladiators.

I'm such a fucking nerd.

Blood Bowl? I think there is an online version, never played it myself, but the tabletop version is so much fun.

A Half Eaten Oreo on
  • Options
    Henry_HydeHenry_Hyde Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'd just like to go into some high profile EA meeting, pop the game in and just be like, "Oh god, this game is so awesome. You guys wanna play? No? It's just like sex only it's happening in your office!"

What happened to the love of competition? When you're in the football gaming business, all there really is besides money is finding out who had the better game of the year. I guess EA loves money more than being competitive. They're pacifists.

Henry_Hyde on
    Angry and Destructive Gamers, ASSEMBLE!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ultrapeanutultrapeanut Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

NCAA Football 08 features approximately 70 players per team, with 119 teams. That's ~8,300 players, and the properly named rosters were out by the day the game was officially released. There's still a name database for commentary, and a random name generator if you don't want to mess with any of the editing features.

Pro Evo and NCAA prove that people are willing to make the games as lifelike as possible, licensing or not.

ultrapeanut on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]