As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I have no mouth and I must scream

ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
No, not an emo thread. This story used to be available on the interwebtron, except now I can't find it, and my bookmark is dead.

I'm pretty certain it's PD now, and I'd really like to reread it without paying cash moneys.

ben0207 on

• Options
    Bob SappBob Sapp Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I looked it up on Wikipedia. The author is still alive and this line is in his bio: "He is fiercely protective of his work and has sought (and won) legal action against copyright infringements."

I doubt you're getting it for free.

Bob Sapp on
    fizzatar.jpg
  • Options
    whuppinswhuppins Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Plenty of authors are fiercely protective of their work, yet still release certain works into the public domain. That said...

...I read that story myself, earlier this year, and it was linked directly from the Wikipedia entry. The link has since been removed and even the page that been linked is gone (you can see it in the article history). It seems like it's not in the public domain and never was... but folks like me, you, and the Wikipedia authors assumed it was because everyone else said it was. It looks like the legal folks went on a rampage 3 or 4 months ago, purging all the illegally hosted copies they could find.

If it's any consolation, Harlan Ellison is one of the most overrated writers this side of Isaac Asimov.

whuppins on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Until I see something that constitutes evidence that this is in fact public realm, this stays locked.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
This discussion has been closed.