As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Two Different Kinds of Friends

trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Social Entropy++
Okay. I have my Old Friends; I love them dearly and plan to keep them into old age.

Pros: they are very lax, mellow and easy-going people. They likes to smoke the weed and party, etc.

Cons: they have very little ambition and even seem to find the whole notion of ambition somewhat selfish and evil. ie. They think going to the gym is extremely vain and a waste of time.

I have my new friends, who I moved in with to get things done creatively several years ago.

Pros: they like to get things done, they have drive and actually do sick things like pay all of their bills on time, etc. They want to succeed in life and try very hard to do so. They are also quite friendly and they like 40k etc. and have similar interests to my own.

Cons: They are kind of uptight and make huge deals out of very small things that my other friends usually do. (Ordering pizza and leaving the box out for a WHOLE NIGHT because they passed out on the couch.) One of them tried to make a rule that no one can smoke weed in the main floor of the house.

Here's the obvious problem in a simple scenario: My buddy (old) gets obessed with buying an old record player. He lives with me and my new friends. He buys one, it breaks down. He hits another garage sale and brings home some monster sized hi-fi system with record player and drops it down in the middle of the basement living room and hooks a fat extension chord to it from the middle of the kitchen. This is how I find it and he's gone to work. So both my new friends give me the old, "Did you see that shit in the basement?" and then pause.....wait for my opinion.

"yeah I saw it."

"well"

So I have to rearrange all this shit to try and fit it somewhere out of the way because there's no freaking room. And then I just know he's going to come home and be like, wtf? Then I'll have to explain to him that the others complained, then he'll give me the old, "You are living with a bunch of squares...you used to be cool, man." --look and then my other friends will hear of it and give me the same deal.

So basically I get in shit from both sides no matter what happens.

What the hell do I do? Obviously none of my old friends should be living with my new friends but shit like this occurs when they even visit. "Did so and so use one of my plates? Would you ask them to wash it next time, please etc."

http://www.botsnthings.com/
I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

trentsteel on

• Options
    edited July 2007
    awww FUCK wrong forum

trentsteel on

• Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    f-f-f-f-f-faaaaiiillll

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sounds like the guy running an extension cord through the house is a douchebag. You should yell at him for that. Being wrong and having you tell him that he's wrong doesn't make you a square.

Hunter on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    All your friends are laughing behind your back
    kill them

Moriveth on
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    we still <3 you trent

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Moriveth wrote: »
    kill them

Operation Lace Dinner with Pesticides commences in T minus 1 hour.

Hunter on
  • Options
    ZombotZombot Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Man...I thought this was going to be a "Perfect Strangers" thread.

Zombot on
  • Options
    StoverStover Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hunter wrote: »
    Sounds like the guy running an extension cord through the house is a douchebag. You should yell at him for that. Being wrong and having you tell him that he's wrong doesn't make you a square.

And also, if your "old" friends don't even rinse off a plate that they use at someone else's house, that's like 10 faggot points right there.

Stover on
    outoftheloop.jpg
  • Options
    2and2is52and2is5 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Your new friends sound like asshats.

2and2is5 on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Wow your advice actually wasn't bad.

trentsteel on

• Options
    denihilistdenihilist Ancient and Mighty Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2007
    You need to have an ecstacy laced dinner that turns into a giant house orgy. It's the only way to break the tension.

denihilist on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Sometimes I hate my old friends because they are too easy going, like waaay too easy going.

Sometimes I hate my new friends because they make a huge fucking deal out of nothing.

But I love them both.

trentsteel on

• Options
    edited July 2007
    trentsteel wrote: »
    Wow your advice actually wasn't bad.

I've lived with assholes. Hell, I married one. My wife does shit like that all the time. Not only is it douchey and stupid, it's goddamn dangerous.

Hunter on
  • Options
    CuntyCunty Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    guys, weed is illegal in america guys

my advice is basically do whatever the hell you want and don't give a shit what either friends, old or new, think of you
    if you think someone's being a dick or being uptight, tell them so
    if your old friends think you're being a "square", fuck them, who are they to judge you? you are whoever the fuck you are and they can fuck themselves off a bridge

these are the kinds of people that try to mow over ponds and build apartments :flop:

Cunty on
    gameintownk.png
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    cut them all up and combine them

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    all your friends are stupid, evidenced by your obsession with weed

you should man up and get some hardened alcoholic friends, they are much more interesting

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Well. we all drink booze. And I smoke weed once every six months, maybe. It's just the principle of having to tell my old friends of fifteen plus years, "Sorry, you have to smoke that outside," that I can't do.

trentsteel on

• Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    i think your old friends suck more than your new friends
    if somebody put a huge ass old record player in my apartment id be like nuhuh bitch you best be getting that shit out of there

Zoolander on
  • Options
    WerrickWerrick Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Your old friends might be cool, but they need to grow the fuck up.

Your new friends are cool, but they need to chill out a little... and yet nothing you've said makes me think they're being jerks. To be honest, their reactions sound like the reasonable, predictable reactions of adults trying to live their life. As a person approaching that meme, I can safely say that I can relate.

EDIT - Alright, the pizza thing is a little much... seirously, who cares if it's out for a whole night, it's not like they found it behind the couch two weeks later.

Whose house is it? Whoever's house it is gets to decide whether or not someone smokes inside. If they all live there (in which case I need to ask you how big that fuckin' house is) then the rule should still be that if the majority of the people don't want smoking of any or wahtever kind in the house then it goes outside.

Werrick on
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be rude without having their skulls split, as a general thing."

-Robert E. Howard
    Tower of the Elephant
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    trentsteel wrote: »
    Well. we all drink booze. And I smoke weed once every six months, maybe. It's just the principle of having to tell my old friends of fifteen plus years, "Sorry, you have to smoke that outside," that I can't do.

Then you need to hang out somewhere else.

If the majority of your housemates don't want people smoking in the house, then they don't.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I was so certain this was going to be a bellair

I was willing to bet money

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    It's a huge house and actually it's only the one dude that wanted to ban the smoking, so no dice for him.

I think Werrick is right. I have to find some sort of balance.

I think it's funny you guys actually gave serious advice mostly. I realized what thread I posted it in and thought OH FUCK

trentsteel on

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Moriveth wrote: »
    kill them

Take down all those naked pictures of Ernest Borgnine you've got hanging in your den.

Shorty on
  • Options
    yourclothesyourclothes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    i am the first kind of friend

basically: success is dumb

yourclothes on
    ssseeee.gif
  • Options
    yourclothesyourclothes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    the "damn have you seen this fight club movie" kind of friend

yourclothes on
    ssseeee.gif
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    i am the first kind of friend

basically: success is dumb

h5

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    Ol' SparkyOl' Sparky Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    somebody post that belair i need to save that shit

Ol' Sparky on