As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS3 and Blu Ray or 360 HD DVD Add on?

2»

• Options
    DaybreakDaybreak Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Strato wrote: »
    Why is the "better" version of 300 a HD-DVD?

It has a number of extras (in HD) that Blu-Ray doesn't. I'm not entirely sure of the details, but there's some cool picture-in-picture thingy where you can watch the pre-production movie in the corner while watching the movie itself. That is, while watching the movie, you can have the film as it was shot in front of blue screens and before all the computer editing playing in the corner. Yeah, I explained that poorly. But it's a big feature that isn't possible on Blu-Ray.

EDIT: go here

Daybreak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    so basically no reason unless you're a film student

interesting that BR isn't capable of it?

Strato on
  • Options
    slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Daybreak wrote: »

It has a number of extras (in HD) that Blu-Ray doesn't. I'm not entirely sure of the details, but there's some cool picture-in-picture thingy where you can watch the pre-production movie in the corner while watching the movie itself. That is, while watching the movie, you can have the film as it was shot in front of blue screens and before all the computer editing playing in the corner. Yeah, I explained that poorly. But it's a big feature that isn't possible on Blu-Ray.

I read that article, but I still don't know why it's not possible on a Blu-ray. Is it an actual problem with the Blu-ray laser or drive speed or something?

Inquiring minds want to know.

slurpeepoop on
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    has Target going blu ray only been mentioned?

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Zephyr wrote: »

Target will be selling 1 BR player as opposed to 0 HDDVD players in B&M stores. You can get an HDDVD player through their website. They sell titles in both formats.

Is that what you meant?

DesertBox on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    DesertBox wrote: »

Target will be selling 1 BR player as opposed to 0 HDDVD players in B&M stores. You can get an HDDVD player through their website. They sell titles in both formats.

Is that what you meant?

yes

vgchartz title worded it differently

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Is that what you meant?

yes

Wow, really? I'm surprised that such a bastion of objective and factual news like that may have worded something in a way to drive traffic instead of reporting unbiased news.

I am shocked. Shocked and outraged.

slurpeepoop on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Is that what you meant?

yes

Wow, really? I'm surprised that such a bastion of objective and factual news like that may have worded something in a way to drive traffic instead of reporting unbiased news.

I am shocked. Shocked and outraged.

i rarely go to the site so i didn't know it was sony biased :(

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    CZroe wrote: »
    corin7 wrote: »
    I haven't regretted my hd-dvd add on purchase once. I have about 15 movies that I have watched to death. With the better version of 300 hitting on hd-dvd tomorrow I think your choice is clear.

It's the same exact encode and it's cheaper on BD. Once again, it's wrong to let the current dual-release situation sway your decision when you know damn well that it will be irrelevant when a format is decided. Dealing with a few less extras until the double-dip release is not reason to board a sinking ship and lose money.

Well, you really can't call a format who's sales are up 37% a sinking ship (according to Neilson ratings).

The extras omitted from 300 Blu-Ray are as follows (source):
    -- feature a bluescreen picture-in-picture version of the film with "pre-CGI" clips alongside the finished product
    --an exclusive game titled Vengeance and Valor
    --web-enabled downloads
    --an application that allows you to assemble your favorite clips and "create your own montage"

Your mileage may vary on the importance of those, but the point is that there is a difference in versions. Why aren't the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray copies the same? Google has failed me. I'm sure some forum wiseguy will enlighten us all. I'd factor whether this is a trend or an exception in to your decision making process.

Another argument coming out of the HD-DVD camp is that their format is more computer-friendly. Rather than targeting Hollywood procdution companies, their strategy is to get more computer and data producers on board (Microsoft, obviously). Thus, it's possible that HD-DVD could be a relevant format even if their video library is anemic.

But to answer Bamelin's OP: who are you kidding? This isn't about video formats. You're a gamer and you want a PS3. You know you want it. Buy it already! Go! Get in your car, pull out your credit card, and buy it!

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • Options
    HboxHbox Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My understanding is that in the future Blu-Ray will be capable of those kinds of extras on the HD-DVD version of 300. As I understand it Sony is still developing the specifications or something. Hopefully someone who know the specifics can post about it in more detail.

Hbox on
    720551nt8.png
    PSN ID : HBoxx
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    slacktron wrote: »
    I haven't regretted my hd-dvd add on purchase once. I have about 15 movies that I have watched to death. With the better version of 300 hitting on hd-dvd tomorrow I think your choice is clear.

It's the same exact encode and it's cheaper on BD. Once again, it's wrong to let the current dual-release situation sway your decision when you know damn well that it will be irrelevant when a format is decided. Dealing with a few less extras until the double-dip release is not reason to board a sinking ship and lose money.

Well, you really can't call a format who's sales are up 37% a sinking ship (according to Neilson ratings).

-- feature a bluescreen picture-in-picture version of the film with "pre-CGI" clips alongside the finished product
    --web-enabled downloads
    --an application that allows you to assemble your favorite clips and "create your own montage"

Your mileage may vary on the importance of those, but the point is that there is a difference in versions. Why aren't the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray copies the same? Google has failed me. I'm sure some forum wiseguy will enlighten us all. I'd factor whether this is a trend or an exception in to your decision making process.

Another argument coming out of the HD-DVD camp is that their format is more computer-friendly. Rather than targeting Hollywood procdution companies, their strategy is to get more computer and data producers on board (Microsoft, obviously). Thus, it's possible that HD-DVD could be a relevant format even if their video library is anemic.

I had not heard of this included game before now. Interesting.

Accualt on
  • Options
    Ant000Ant000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm feeling the itch to get in on this 549.99 Canadian deal while it lasts as well. There's some games I want coming down the pipe like Warhawk and Drake's, and I have an HDTV so I'm interested in Blu-ray. Also, the emotion engine chip with high-def PS2 graphics...

I'm hesitant though because...I'm worried they're going to jack up the price back up to 699.99 and keep it there...which will once again lock me out of the market, but not only that, lock other potential people out. So I'm worried I'm going to miss my chance to get a PS3 if they hike the price back up, I'm worried Blu-ray might not catch on, I'm worried not enough people are going to buy in for their to be a second wave of big titles in 2008...

Man I really want one though even after all that.

Ant000 on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Bamelin wrote: »
    Snake you're right in one way ... I have been sort of trying to justify buying a PS3, but I've been trying to do that for awhile. A part of my angst right now is that the 60 gig PS3 cost $699 (Canadian) before the price drop, and the 80 gig will no doubt cost around that price mark.

If I move now I can get in now at $525 ...

Don't bother waiting for the 80GB PS3 to drop in price, the North American 60GB is better anyway. The 60GB PS3 has complete PS1 and PS2 backwards compatibility, while the 80GB PS3 doesn't (and probably won't for a few years).

And if you want a larger HDD, you can go buy one and install it yourself. It's meant to be pretty easy.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Not quite. It's not that Blu-Ray doesn't have these features, it's just that they are more difficult to implement at the moment (player compatibility) and programming the games for two completely different interactivity types is far too difficult. IME is coming to Blu-Ray when the players are ready for it. Even so, simulated IME has been done on many other Warner dual-format releases and is entirely possible to do here with a second layer and an encode with the video overlaid. The problem? Warner either got tired of doing two encodes just because a few players might have trouble with IME or they are being paid to give more features to HD-DVD (a "format advantage" that can be safely ignored knowing full well that it'll be there on whichever format remains in the end).

Wrong. IME is coming to Blu-Ray when the players are ready for it. Even so, simulated IME has been done on many other Warner dual-format releases and is entirely possible to do here with a second layer. The problem? Warner either got tired of doing two encodes just because a few players might have trouble with IME or they are being paid to give more features to HD-DVD (a "format advantage" that can be safely ignored knowing full well that it'll be there on whichever format remains in the end).
    slacktron wrote: »

--web-enabled downloads

It doesn't mean anything when it's to be expected: Deep player cuts and a 5-free HD-DVDs offer will do that. You don't think the Virtual Boy's sales skyrocketed when it dropped to $30 from $170?

As for why they are different, it's pretty easy to speculate. The interactivity features of both formats are not compatible and the production costs of extras like the V&V game are too high to essentially double the production time for rewriting it as a BD Java version (see the Pirates DVDs for a more impressive example with Disney production values). As for why they chose to do it on HD-DVD, my speculation remains the same: They are paid to give the nod to HD-DVD releases just like they have been paid to keep Batman Begins off Blu-Ray for a short time to convince people that these are HD-DVD exclusive features and flicks (it's working too... BD can do IME but people have already made claims otherwise in this thread thanks to what we are seeing from Warner). Once again, every perceived advantage HD-DVD has is imagined or manipulated to appear to be an advantage when the fact remains: Once only one remains, these same features will be offered to the sole survivor.
    Hbox wrote: »
    My understanding is that in the future Blu-Ray will be capable of those kinds of extras on the HD-DVD version of 300. As I understand it Sony is still developing the specifications or something. Hopefully someone who know the specifics can post about it in more detail.

Ding ding ding. Can't post the specifics without a little more research, but this is exactly what I rad the last time I bothered to research it. It's perfectly possible, but most of the players out there were sold with incompatible firmware and they'd rather not start using features like that until more players exist that don't need firmware updates or something similar.

CZroe on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hbox wrote: »

Basically, HDDVD is a fully-fleshed-out standard that has been defined where it's at since HDDVDs have hit the presses. Not everyone used the options, but they were there. (I think there have actually been some small changes, but it was pretty much done)

BluRay is a developing format that Sony keeps "upgrading" the features of, and unless you can upgrade your player, an early adopter may be stuck with a high-res DVD and be locked out of any special extras they enable in the future. I think Sony is seeing the extra stuff HDDVD can do, and then implements it into BluRay as much as they can.

It's kinda sad. On one hand, you have a definite standard you can rely on. On the other, you have a larger storage space. I wish they would pick something and stick with it. It reminds me of before WiFi-N was finished all the companies had "beta" products out that may or may not interact with each other because the standards hadn't been set yet. Now the standard is there and you may or may not be able to interact with it.
    (speaking of which, be careful if you order a Dell with N tech. Some of the laptops are still using pre-standard N cards)

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm going to make a decision one way or the other by August 15th so I'll let you guys know what I end up doing. Still mulling it over in my mind, the arguments make sense in both directions.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    RowdieRowdie Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    For the games the 360 wins in a land slide. For the movies advantage blu-ray but honestly neither format is a winner. It's as likely you'll end up going digital distribution ftw!

Buy the 360 enjoy the games, wait out the HD movie thing for awhile yet. Or just get the HDDVD player because you can and it's so cheap (after you work all the discounts).

Rowdie on