As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[12 YEARS LTTP] Chrono Trigger

• Options
    mogdemonmogdemon Kansas, USRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    LockeCole wrote: »
    Frog can be very useful early game because the Triple tech with Crono+Robo+Frog is one of the earliest (if not the earliest) one you can get. Its especially useful vs Magus. Slurp Kiss dual tech is also very useful heal all double tech, and you have to have Ayla in your party for the next area after Magus. Late game he is really kinda meh until Frog Flare though.

Anyway, reguarding other stuff above, honestly, its fun to discuss how time travel might work in the setting provided.

I dunno, I can only take it so far when we're talking about what I consider to be a simple and lighthearted game--things it ceases to be when we leave the game's mechanics and enter the realm of theoretical physics :P

And to clarify, I was talking about Frog late-game, and I have made a point of getting all possible techs by now. Despite having it, I don't remember ever using Frog Flare. What is its usefulness?

EDIT: Frog is not the only one with a multi-healing spell; Robo has one too that I found to be better.

mogdemon on
    apotheos wrote:
    You ever wonder exactly how many magic mushrooms the average japanese game studio design team consumes in a year?
    just got a 3ds! 3454-0598-2000
  • Options
    brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    jothki wrote: »
    mogdemon wrote: »
    I liked this thread better when we were talking about the game. Now my head just hurts.

It's fiction, a fantasy. The rules of physics can and will contradict themselves. Do we have discussions like this every time an Ocarina of Time, Prince of Persia etc. thread comes up? Can't we just say, Time Paradox, or how about "A Wizard Did It"? I like that one.

I love Chrono Trigger. It's probably the only RPG with a large (bigger than your party limit) cast of characters that I find good reasons for using every one of them. I usually have to make a tough decision every boss battle. There are multiple ways to use your party effectively and none are really "wrong." The only character I find somewhat dispensable in most situations is Frog, because while his physical attacks are good, his techs are pretty mediocre because of his magic stat. I equip him with magic-enhancing gear, but I hesitate to use magic tabs on him because it feels like a waste. Maybe my battle strategies are just ill-suited to using Frog. From reading the thread it seems like there are some of you who have opposite sentiments towards the cloaked amphibian. Anyone want to share your strategies for using Frog in battle?

Isn't Frog the only character who knows a multi-target healing spell?

Marle learns cure 2 and robo learns heal beam.

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Javen -

The question is, what effect does something leaving their own time have. When Ayla leaves 65million BC, how does the timeline 'know' that she will be back. Otherwise, the instant she leaves the future she travels to should exist as if she vanished from the timeline the instant she stepped in the gate.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    DragDrag Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Frog makes up for his mediocrity by being a badass motherfucking talking Frog.

that's why I ended up using him every single playthrough. Who cares if he's probably the crappiest character overall! He's a frog and he has a sword!

Drag on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Cure 2 is single target. The single character (Frog and Robo) multi-target heals are hurt by the fact that they have craptastic magic stats, but Double Heal (Frog + Robo) is pretty good too.

Frog Flare does a lot of damage as a base, and does more the lower Frog's HP is.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    you can keep your party going throughout most of the game just having frog "heal" each turn.

if the boss hasn't caused many problems you can heal to max everyone out

if the boss hits a single party member hard he can cure2 them

if the boss causes more damage than heal takes care of then frog can heal and another party member can burn a lapis, or use a dual tech with frog to heal everyone. You could also use heal with frog and have another character burn a tonic on anyone that needs it.

in addition, frog has the strongest dual tech in the game with lucca, and that'd explain my ideal maxxed out party -- frog, lucca, and chrono. You have every important element in this group, too, for specific circumstances. The only real problem you'd have is that the frog flare dual tech probably hits harder than the group's triple tech but I consider this more of a bonus than a problem.

course he may not be the ideal character in most spots of the game but he's a good all-around guy.

kaleedity on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I got a lot of use out of frog and chrono's spire attack. especially against the Golems (I think thats what they were called...The things that Dalton kept sending out after you), and Giga Gaia.

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Javen wrote: »
    Drag wrote: »
    So! Every time a Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross thread comes up, people mention how the music during the fight with Miguel is basically the best music known to man. Does anyone know the title of that track?

It's "People Imprisoned by Destiny" on the OST.

I think the maimed translation became "People Seized with Life".

D:

Also, it took me about 5 years to find the Gold Rock.
    Cure 2 is single target. The single character (Frog and Robo) multi-target heals are hurt by the fact that they have craptastic magic stats, but Double Heal (Frog + Robo) is pretty good too.

Frog Flare does a lot of damage as a base, and does more the lower Frog's HP is.

I loved busting out Frog Flare and Dino Tail against Queen Zeal. If you're going to drop me to 1 HP, you better be ready for me to bring the pain.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    The problem I always ran into with Frog was doing low level runs through the game. Heal just doen't cut it when you have 500ish hp, the boss can hit for 300ish on everyone, and heal only heals for 150.

Overall he is pretty good though.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I'm rather interested in that if we ever get a re-release or remake or whatever eventually, if they'll go back and fix up the translation like they did with the FF GBA releases. I'm not one of those translation zealots who bitches when they forgot a "the" in the script, and Woosley did a damn fine job with the script. But it was also on the tail end before RPG's got the respect they deserved and censorship was finally a thing of the past. Reading this has shown that he got it mostly right, but there were quite a few bits here and there that could have been better. Heck, according to Wikipedia, Woosley only had 30 days to translate all of CT's script.

For instance, apparently Frog never did talk with his old english style and wasn't the typical white knight. He spoke rather rudely, which makes sense in a way, since if you got turned into a frog, you'd probably be a little pissed too. Also makes sense because not only does nobody else in the middle ages era talks like that, he doesn't even when when he's human Glenn.

I wonder though, if this would be something akin to "Spoony bard", and if they took out his Thee's and Thou's if everybody would shit a brick.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, usually do the same thing against Zeal. The Gold Rock is probably the most redicusly hidden things in the game. I found it completely on accident (and the only reason Frog happened to be in the lead is because he's awesome.)

LockeCole on
  • Options
    mogdemonmogdemon Kansas, USRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Drag wrote: »

that's why I ended up using him every single playthrough. Who cares if he's probably the crappiest character overall! He's a frog and he has a sword!

Yeah, that's true. I probably wouldn't have much reason to use him at all if this were the case. But it's just not enough for me, sadly.
    Delzhand wrote:
    I loved busting out Frog Flare and Dino Tail against Queen Zeal. If you're going to drop me to 1 HP, you better be ready for me to bring the pain.

Good point. But in typical situations, I rarely end up using those types of techs because like hell if I'm going to let my guys' HP drop below 50%. I don't take many risks there.

mogdemon on
    apotheos wrote:
    You ever wonder exactly how many magic mushrooms the average japanese game studio design team consumes in a year?
    just got a 3ds! 3454-0598-2000
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I just remembered how fucking awesome Zeal is.
    The fact that you cannot go back to it once it is destroyed makes it even more awesome (since you 'miss' it)

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    I just remembered how fucking awesome Zeal is.
    The fact that you cannot go back to it once it is destroyed makes it even more awesome (since you 'miss' it)
    Which is silly if you stop to think about it. You can go back 13000 years, but you can't go back 10 days.

The Epoch. The pinnacle of one mans hopes and dreams. The desire to go back and forth through time itself. The damn thing only has 6 settings. Seems in all his planning, ol' Balthazar never did think to put a second hand on the dial.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    *snip*

That probably ought to be spoiler'd. That was a pretty big plot point IIRC.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Gooey wrote: »
    *snip*

A hell of a lot worse has already been spoiled in this thread. But whatever. Better safe than sorry.

The Wolfman on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    *snip*

A hell of a lot worse has already been spoiled in this thread. But whatever. Better safe than sorry.

This is true, but I'd bet that someone who hasn't made a full playthrough won't want to read pages and pages and pages and pages about time paradoxes and other such nonsense.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    exist wrote: »
    If I could play any other instrument, it would be electric bass. Then, I would pop all three discs of my actual official Chrono Trigger soundtrack (borrowed it from a high school friend who never asked for it back) and rock out to those tunes all day.

You are just the worst kind of person. D:

I asked him a few weeks before we graduated if he wanted that and his FFVI soundtrack back. He said I could keep them. Which is good, because he and his brother did not take care of those discs. They were very scratched. They came to me for protection.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The simple way of explaining this would be to consider the notion of a "universal clock". You may go back and forth through time, but the universal clock keeps ticking, and the game and story neither does nor requires any precision in its time travel. Example:

The date is March 1st, 1000 AD. The group decides to go back in time to 600 AD. When they arrive, the date is March 1st, 600 AD. They spend 3 days there before returning to the future. So it's March 4th, 600 AD, and when they get back, it's March 4th, 1000 AD.

I thought it was pretty obvious during the game that this is what was happening. All this rewriting the timeline/recreating the characters on jumps, while interesting in theory, is needlessly complicated.

I think it even says this in some of the dialogue.

Its pretty funny how people like to make it more complicated so they can act pretentious about it, though.
    And just where was anyone acting pretentious? It was merely a discussion on time travel.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    Disco BanditDisco Bandit Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I just got back from the future (in Medina). Fun so far, but I hate getting to use Frog and then not getting him again for a long time.

Disco Bandit on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5412 9146 7564
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Frog's busy being emo.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    this thread has inspired me to bump chrono cross up to the top of my backlog.
    I couldn't get into it back in the day and either traded it or gave it to someone as a gift. I ebayed a few months ago and tomorrow I start in on it.

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I couldn't get into it back in the day and either traded it or gave it to someone as a gift. I ebayed a few months ago and tomorrow I start in on it.

I would try CC also, but Oblivion is at the top of my backlog. D:

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I wish Frog were better, because he is so badass. Also, I now name him Glenn half the time.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I wish Frog were better, because he is so badass. Also, I now name him Glenn half the time.

I do the same, hi5

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Me too just started playing yesterday.

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Options
    tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Javen -

The question is, what effect does something leaving their own time have. When Ayla leaves 65million BC, how does the timeline 'know' that she will be back. Otherwise, the instant she leaves the future she travels to should exist as if she vanished from the timeline the instant she stepped in the gate.

It doesn't, and it doesn't need to. Imagine that you are in a hallway and you step into a room. Slightly further down there's another doorway in that room that exits back into the hall you came from. You go through this second door. Does the hallway know you'll be coming back? Does it need to? The time line doesn't either. You either are or are not back and time flows on accordingly.

Returning to the past is an event that happened in the past so when you get to the future you're already back. There is no need for phantom people to take your place.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I picked up the Fantasy / Chrono discs a few weeks ago and have been playing CT since. Was my favorite game when i got it the Christmas came out, and i have to say it still is. Last night i finally hopped into Epoch.. I fucking got chills, and stared at it for 5 minutes before taking off.

Shit yes! Epoch away!

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Witchsight wrote: »
    I picked up the Fantasy / Chrono discs a few weeks ago and have been playing CT since. Was my favorite game when i got it the Christmas came out, and i have to say it still is. Last night i finally hopped into Epoch.. I fucking got chills, and stared at it for 5 minutes before taking off.

Shit yes! Epoch away!

it only gets better

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Options
    RedMageDarionRedMageDarion Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I wish Frog were better, because he is so badass.
    Wait... Frog is awesome. D:

I always use Crono / Frog / Marle. They're a really good mix.

Making Frog the best he can be:
    You DO keep him equipped with the Masamune + Hero Medal, right? It gives him something like a 50%+ chance to get a critical hit.

Endgame Frog spoiler:
    You can also power up the Masamune by doing the side quest where you put Cyrus's ghost to rest. This ends up making it one of the most powerful weapons in the game, and STILL gets the critical hit bonus from the Hero Medal.

If he's STILL not good enough for you... well, damn. I don't know what to tell you.

RedMageDarion on
    Pokemon White - 3954.6369.6328
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I find that giving Glenn the PrismSpecs is a much better choice than the Hero Medal.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    I find that giving Glenn the PrismSpecs is a much better choice than the Hero Medal.

really?

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    The PrismSpecs make everything 25% better (both normal attacks, magic attacks, and any damaging tech... not sure if it affects healing though). The hero metal is damn nice if you put the PrismSpecs on someone else, but they really are the best accessory.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Barrakketh wrote: »

really?

Really. You do more damage on every attack, and every two attacks has enough extra damage to make up for a crit. When you crit it does more damage than with the Hero medal on, and you can always use Leap Slash if you want to push out a bit more cheap damage.

ChronoTriggerU_00002.jpg

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    ZeaLitYZeaLitY Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Probably here too late to help, but anyhow, it's great seeing such a huge spontaneous discussion. The fixed date of the birthday is August 22nd, since that's what an ancient usenet post confirmed as the first day it was shipped. I think Gamefaqs still lists the wrong date of September 19 or 29.

Looks like there was some paradox discussion going on...Trigger suffered from that a hell of a lot more than Cross because it was a collaboration. Yuji Horii's lighthearted style probably didn't translate well to rigid internal logic, and adding in Masato Kato's 12000 B.C. era complicated things. Right now, the CT plot hole count is at 4; the CC is at 1. Kato basically did all of Chrono Cross with Hiromichi Tanaka producing, so it's almost perfectly internally consistent (if not hard to understand due to the pacing). There are still some big mysteries surrounding the game, like the thing with the Dead Sea...but these aren't self-contradicting or anything like plot holes.

Anyway, thought I'd stop by. www.chrono-crisis.com just launched. Since it's not a 3D project, they probably won't get a cease and desist letter like the others.

ZeaLitY on
    hustlesig.png
    A-u-t-o-matic!
  • Options
    Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    ZeaLitY wrote: »
    Anyway, thought I'd stop by. www.chrono-crisis.com just launched.

Shitty sprites and character designs are shitty.

Black_Heart on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Well at least his sitewhoring (as well as his first and only) post was in a on-topic thread instead of a new one.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I can dig this Crisis thing. It'll probably reek of fan-fic, but could prove fun.

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    ZeaLitYZeaLitY Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Well at least his sitewhoring (as well as his first and only) post was in a on-topic thread instead of a new one.

Crisis is not my site or project.

ZeaLitY on
    hustlesig.png
    A-u-t-o-matic!
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I clicked on the Characters link then closed the tab. Those names. ::shudder:: Xavier Ashtear?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png