As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Determining stomach issues

cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm RegentBears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So for the past... week or so, my stomach hasn't really felt right. It hasn't hurt per se, just felt unusual.

Like a mild burning a little to downright of the center. It's usually been associated with eating(and some heartburn[I think]), so I've passed it off.

I mentioned this to some coworkers, and after suggesting to the pharmacist that I think it could be an ulcer(because my mother has one), his description of the symptoms seemed accurate.

It was suggested I get Mylanta, so I did. I think it helped a little, but I'm not sure.

And another person suggested the word I dread: Appendicitis.

So I read the wiki article on that. It mentions abdominal pain, and loss of appetite, which I've been experiencing(not severe, but at random... like I'm not hungry when I feel like I should be).

Another strange symptom I've been having is something like a murmur from the pelvic area, though I've no idea what that could mean.
(One more I just recalled; a burning of some kind around the right shoulder blade.)

As an additional note, I dread it being something severe for a number of reasons: one that I don't frequently(if ever) go to the doctor, two that I'm terrified of the prospect of surgery(though if it's appendicitis, I won't hesitate to go through with it), and three that I'm currently having medical insurance issues.

My insurance was cancelled when I was promoted to full-time, since it was part-time only insurance, and I'm told I have to wait until 'open-enrollment' to apply for the full-time insurance.

So that's the secondary issue. I'm going to try calling them tomorrow and seeing if there isn't some way I can get around that considering my concerns, but if I have to bite the bullet and front medical bills on my own, I will.

Biggest question: how worried should I be? I doubt this is appendicitis, because i'm told pain occurs at the far right(mine's been closer to the center), but I won't discount the possibility.

wVEsyIc.png
cj iwakura on

• Options
    JPArbiterJPArbiter Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Generic advice number 1) If you have anything wrong that might be health related you should not be posting on a BBS, but should be picking up the phone and calling a doctor

JPArbiter on
    Sinning since 1983
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    appendicitis is generally acute and sudden. Still, what have you been eating? Is there a consistency?

It took me forever to figure out I was lactose intolerant, because it's easy to eat some dairy here or there and some has more lactose than others, etc. And some people develop food allergies. Yet others do get ulcers or stomach viruses.

So, are you eating anything differently? Or is there a consistent part of your diet that precedes these? Are they constant, whether you're hungry or full?

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    cj iwakura wrote:
    My insurance was cancelled when I was promoted to full-time, since it was part-time only insurance, and I'm told I have to wait until 'open-enrollment' to apply for the full-time insurance.

I'd put $5 down that this is totally untrue. Loss of your insurance is known as a "qualifying event" and typically allows you to enroll in your employer's health plan before the open enrollment period.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    SerphimeraSerphimera Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If it's your appendix, there will be a sharp pain in your right side. In that case go see a doctor before you die, seriously. But it doesn't sound like your appendix is about to explode.

Take a close look at your diet and see if it correlates with your symptoms. Try to avoid stress and anything else that might aggravate an ulcer, just in case.

Serphimera on
    And then I voted.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Well, you can call this solved. :P You're on the money about that.

I did see a doctor, and she said if it was my appendix, I'd already be dead.

Supposedly it's just heartburn(or so she's assuming for the most part), so she put me on Prevacid, which'll presumably help.

I think my change in status/hours at work at something to do with it, since my schedule changed drastically(from mornings to evenings). Either way, I'm definitely not as worried about as I was.

As for the insurance thing, not that big an issue anymore, but I do plan on pressuring them on it.
    Thanks for the replies though.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    drinkinstoutdrinkinstout Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'll second the insurance hiccup - converting over to full time and losing your current coverage is definitly a qualifying event to enroll. Pretty much any "life changing event" can qualify.

edit: about the stomach, have you noticed it happening after eating anything specific? I have chronic heartburn/acid reflux and there is a good list of foods to avoid (although I don't) which include; carbonated beverages, alchohol, garlic, chocolate, tomato-based foods, and spicy foods.... which is pretty much the entirety of my diet heh.

if it doesnt go away, you might find yourself taking Nexium too!

drinkinstout on
  • Options
    brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    So for the past... week or so, my stomach hasn't really felt right. It hasn't hurt per se, just felt unusual.

Like a mild burning a little to downright of the center. It's usually been associated with eating(and some heartburn[I think]), so I've passed it off.

I mentioned this to some coworkers, and after suggesting to the pharmacist that I think it could be an ulcer(because my mother has one), his description of the symptoms seemed accurate.

It was suggested I get Mylanta, so I did. I think it helped a little, but I'm not sure.

And another person suggested the word I dread: Appendicitis.

So I read the wiki article on that. It mentions abdominal pain, and loss of appetite, which I've been experiencing(not severe, but at random... like I'm not hungry when I feel like I should be).

Another strange symptom I've been having is something like a murmur from the pelvic area, though I've no idea what that could mean.
    (One more I just recalled; a burning of some kind around the right shoulder blade.)

As an additional note, I dread it being something severe for a number of reasons: one that I don't frequently(if ever) go to the doctor, two that I'm terrified of the prospect of surgery(though if it's appendicitis, I won't hesitate to go through with it), and three that I'm currently having medical insurance issues.

So that's the secondary issue. I'm going to try calling them tomorrow and seeing if there isn't some way I can get around that considering my concerns, but if I have to bite the bullet and front medical bills on my own, I will.

Biggest question: how worried should I be? I doubt this is appendicitis, because i'm told pain occurs at the far right(mine's been closer to the center), but I won't discount the possibility.

Funny thing about appendicitis is that its really hard to diagnose, and even though your appendix are located in the lower portion the pain is supposed to hurt dead center like where your navel is. From the sound of things though it doesn't sound like you have it just cause I watched my Mom go through it and she would just double over in pain and wouldn't be able to move for like an hour. Another thing about appendicitis is that it is often misdiagnosed as kidney or inflammatory diseases. Here this might help you it helped me when I was scared I had it http://www.medicinenet.com/appendicitis/page3.htm#tocg. Best of luck hope its nothing too serious.

brandotheninjamaster on