As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] "Omen" is the bestest mod ever, seriously [Threat Meter]

Viper007BondViper007Bond Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in MMO Extravaganza
Sorry, but this mod just deserves it's own thread. It's just that good and deserves more attention / use!

I'm sure all of you have heard of and use (I hope) KLHThreatMeter aka KTM:

threatwindow.jpg

The problem with KTM though however is that it works on a global threat reading. This may be fine for single mob encounters, but what about fights like High King Maulgar? Even if you set the Master Target in KTM, the threat won't be reset after you move onto another target.

Omen uses a completely separate library/protocol and stores threat for each mob separately! So if you target one boss (say the priest in Gruul's Lair), kill it, and then move onto the next boss, it will show your threat (and the tank on that mob's threat) for just that 2nd mob rather than globally.

It's also compatible with KTM. You will receive and send data to people using KTM. Now of course their threat received will be global rather than on a per mob basis, but you'll still have a decent idea of your threat, just as if you were using KTM. You can also keep using KTM until you realize that once you use Omen, you'll never go back. :P

Some other things I love about it:
  • It uses a LOT less memory than KTM
  • I have it set to make a big warning and a sound when I get within 95% of the threat of the top person (i.e. the tank). No more threat pulling for me!
  • I can drag the main tank's threat bar out and on it's own so that I can see my threat relative to just the tank (percentage, relative threat-per-second, and time until I overtake the tank)
  • TONS of customization options
  • + lots more!

Seriously, it's the best thing since sliced bread. I really can't stress enough how awesome of a mod it is. For those of you who already use it, make sure to pipe up and agree with me!

Okay, so where can I download it at?

Right here: http://files.wowace.com/Omen/Omen.zip

Plugin's homepage: http://www.wowace.com/wiki/Omen

[Sig removed for breaking the h-scroll. -Bogey]
Viper007Bond on

• Options
    BlueBaronBlueBaron regular
    edited July 2007
    omen, along with threat, is definitely amazing. We started using it about a month or so ago, its excellent for TBC raid encounters, with so many mobs runnin around .

BlueBaron on
  • Options
    Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Crutch.jpg

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2007
    Little Jim wrote: »
    Crutch.jpg
    I've long given up my crusade on mods. Blizzard refuses to take real stances on these. Either incorporate threat meters into the game, or ban this shit. It's cruel to newer players to leave things in limbo as they are.

On that note, I am baffled that Blizzard has a built-in damage meter FOR PVP, but not for instances.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    On that note, I am baffled that Blizzard has a built-in damage meter FOR PVP, but not for instances.

A damage meter with functionality as limited as the BG scoreboard wouldn't be used outside of pug five-mans. Even if the raid leader could reset it, SWStats shows so much more. There's no reason Blizzard should reinvent the wheel and replicate something like a damage meter. There's no real loss for newer players; mods which are useful in raiding will be suggested/required by the experienced raiders.

edit: re: threat meters being a crutch, I'm inclined to agree generally. But I really don't hold it against anyone that wants to push out that extra 2 DPS that they can, without dying. If they want to perform their job as well as it can be performed, good for them. We have a fury warrior that dies constantly due to his inability to control his aggro. This helps (a little). He has no way to deal with his aggro output other than a) dying, b) dropping his damage output, or c) using something like Omen to control it.

exis on
  • Options
    Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    I just hate that every week there is a new mod that encourages raiders to be fucking stupid

I don't think blizzard could break threat meters, but if they ever did, we'd all be fucked to shit. I mean, does anybody remember the first lucifron kill after decursive was broken? I do, and I can't say I was god damn fond of it, that's for god damn sure

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm over the 'amg mods make raiders stupid' argument, especially when there are encounters rather obviously designed to account for them.

Play without mods if you're so determined to stick by that.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I stopped using Decursive when they broke it (obviously), and while I tried the new version, I found that I no longer really needed it. I'd rather play whack-a-mole.

People bitched and moaned way too much about how Decursive trivialized game mechanics, made raiders stupid, encouraged ignoring mechanics, etc. But it really didn't. I used it because it was there, and it was kinda cool. I can dispel spam just as well without it. Breaking mods because they make things easy is just fucking stupid. I don't see how it fixed any problems. People that could pick what/who they wanted to dispel were always at an advantage over Decursive-spamming anyway.

exis on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Eh, Blizzard can decide how hard they want to make their game; I don't think that's really the issue.

I look at it this way: combat in WoW is pretty trivial. Even in raids, it's pretty deliberate, and not that tough mechanically speaking. A lot of the challenge is figuring out how to maximize the efficiency of the raid and your class. One of the ways you do that is configuring your UI, using the tools Blizzard gives you (i.e., user UI modification.) If Blizzard thought that threat meters were really gamebreaking, they'd change the UI such that you couldn't use them.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Viper007BondViper007Bond Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Little Jim wrote: »
    Crutch.jpg
    So I take it you're either A) a PvP'er, B) a healer, or C) a player in greens who never raids?

If it weren't for threat meters, I'd either sit there wanding 1/2 the time afraid I'm about to pull aggro or be dead 75% of the battle.

And as for "ban this shit" bullshit, there's a built in mod API for a reason. And if Blizzard didn't like threat meters, they could have easily broken them ages ago. Quit crying like babies.

Less QQ, More Pew Pew

Viper007Bond on
    [Sig removed for breaking the h-scroll. -Bogey]
  • Options
    Lunatic ClamLunatic Clam Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Threat Meters aren't a crutch when Blizzard designs a fight like prince where pulling aggro, even for a second, is most likely a wipe. Then stacks a nasty timer on the fight in terms of increased DPS during phases and an increased infernal drop rate. Any DPS-race fight calls for a threatmeter, because otherwise outside of your own damage, you really have no idea what the overall threat parameters look like. Is it your DPS or a tank that can't generate enough threat, for example.

I use smartdebuff for PvP debuffing, where shit is going on so fast I don't have time to sit back and watch everyone who is getting poisoned, cursed, etc. and click on them independently. I use HOT timers to see when I need to reapply rejuvenation, lifebloom or regrowth. And I use BigWigs since there is so much emote spam on boss fights I can never tell what the hell is going on without something yelling at me and providing a timer.

Lunatic Clam on
    Friend Code 0302-1076-6730
  • Options
    SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    And as for "ban this shit" bullshit, there's a built in mod API for a reason. And if Blizzard didn't like threat meters, they could have easily broken them ages ago. Quit crying like babies.

Less QQ, More Pew Pew

Actually, absolutely nothing about these threat meters is an innate part of the API. They extrapolate their data based on information that usually floods the combat log, and every one of the formulae they use is player-derived. If Blizzard intended threat to be monitored this closely, they would've given us direct access to those functions. This is an example of creating functionality instead of simply altering what is already present; from a design point of view, I can't imagine them intending the UI community to create anything at all, and certainly not something that they have to design the rest of the game around.

And no, it's not "easily broken". Granted, it would be easier to break than Decursive and the like were, but if you'd take an hour or so to look over and comprehend the changes that were required to do that, you'd be horrified at the notion of this requiring even one-tenth the overhaul that did. So yeah, they could break it, and they could've broken it a while back; that doesn't mean it would be practical to spend all of that development time to do so. But they probably will break it eventually, simply because, at some point, it would take less time to do that than to keep designing encounters around its existence (like they did for so long with Decursive, et al).

Personally, I don't care either way. It doesn't affect PvP (like the automatic debuff removers did) and raiding isn't my thing. I just wanted to clarify some things from a technical standpoint.

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2007
    Sorry, but this mod just deserves it's own thread.

No it doesn't.

Echo on
This discussion has been closed.