As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Spirits: For monocles AND hobos alike!

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I was watching PBS HD, because it was in HD, and the guy made mint juleps to go along with mint julep flavored ribs! With mint julep BBQ sauce! It was wild.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Old fashioneds are a good use of good bourbon.

Bourbon, dash of bitters, sugar cube, and an orange wedge or cherry (or both), served in a wide highball glass.

Mint juleps are actually similar, only with mint instead of bitters. They're pretty good and the only reason I don't really drink them is that I'm not a plantation owner.

I also have a weakness for Irish coffee. Jameson's, cream or half-and-half, freshly brewed coffee and sugar.

Don't forget water! And why use a highball glass? It's better presented in a "lowball" glass, i.e an old-fashioned glass.

Crayon on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, I guess I mean a lowball glass - the kind where you really have to push your snout down into the glass in order to get a drink. I guess I just hadn't heard the term.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Crayon wrote: »

Bourbon, dash of bitters, sugar cube, and an orange wedge or cherry (or both), served in a wide highball glass.

Mint juleps are actually similar, only with mint instead of bitters. They're pretty good and the only reason I don't really drink them is that I'm not a plantation owner.

I also have a weakness for Irish coffee. Jameson's, cream or half-and-half, freshly brewed coffee and sugar.

Don't forget water! And why use a highball glass? It's better presented in a "lowball" glass, i.e an old-fashioned glass.

The water is meant to dissolve the sugar. A clever bartender might break out syrup to replace sugar and water altogether. That's what I mean by it being a good test. An old-fashioned requires understanding of the purposes of the ingredients. It's not just mix and stir.

enc0re on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, I guess I mean a lowball glass - the kind where you really have to push your snout down into the glass in order to get a drink. I guess I just hadn't heard the term.

Yeah, it's generally just called a "rocks" glass, but I don't too much like the term. I was a bartender for a while in a snooty country club here so I know every type of glass, because they will order a specific drink right down to the glassware they want.

Oddly enough, for those people being so rich they usually just wanted a J&B scotch/tonic or old charter/tonic. Old rich people love cheap liquor and tonic with everything.

Crayon on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2007
    enc0re wrote: »
    The water is meant to dissolve the sugar. A clever bartender might break out syrup to replace sugar and water altogether. That's what I mean by it being a good test. An old-fashioned requires understanding of the purposes of the ingredients. It's not just mix and stir.
    I usually use a little ice and either muddle the sugarcube or sugar with the ice, or else just let the sugarcube dissolve slowly as the ice melted. Kind of finishes on a sweet note and it keeps me from drinking it too quickly.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Crayon wrote: »
    Old rich people love cheap liquor and tonic with everything.

Then there is hope yet that I will turn out old and rich.

enc0re on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I need to try one of those. Is it a somewhat difficult drink to make? Because when the bartender screws up my tom collins it's just about undrinkable. Granted I've only really been to college bars and dives where the most difficult drink they're expected to make is jack and coke, but still.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I'm not a huge mixed drink fan, but I was extremely bored at work one day and I made a drink that I still drink today when I'm not wanting anything neat/on the rocks.

Ice o' course
    2oz Stoli Vanilla
    2oz Grand Marnier
    Fill highball glass with Orange Juice
    Dash of grenadine, float

I thoroughly enjoy this and I have no idea why as it sounds...fairly gross.

Crayon on
  • Options
    zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Lagavulin is my achillies heel.
    Every other form of alcohol (which I also appreciate) pales in comparison.

zhen_rogue on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    moniker wrote: »

I need to try one of those. Is it a somewhat difficult drink to make? Because when the bartender screws up my tom collins it's just about undrinkable. Granted I've only really been to college bars and dives where the most difficult drink they're expected to make is jack and coke, but still.

Extremely easy to make. All you really need is a muddler and you're gold. Take the standard recipe, and make sure to use proper measurement with this type of drink unless you can eye it well. I'd do without mashing the cherry in as it doesn't add a lot to the drink, instead just use the orange and top off with a cherry. To be honest, I usually add Grand Marnier instead of mashing up an orange considering it makes a stronger drink and I enjoy a stronger drink personally.

Crayon on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Not gonna lie - I fucking love martinis. Now that I have a smoking jacket, my roommate and I are planning a robe and martini party.

They're so perfect. When I'm drinking socially - as opposed to, say, matching it with food, I like to taste the alcohol, so I generally like a drier drink. A good martini should have a very complex taste (as should a Gibson :P) and almost feel like you aren't drinking anything, but breathing in strange airs.

Love em.

edit* Also, a gin martini should NEVER EVER EVER be shaken, no matter what James Bond says. It bruises the gin. Won't make it taste any different, but it will get cloudy.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Bond has a vodka martini, oxymoronic I know, so shaking it shouldn't be a big issue.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    "Three measures of Gordon's, one of vodka, half a measure of
    Kina Lillet. Shake it very well until it's ice-cold, then add a large thin
    slice of lemon-peel."

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Bond has a vodka martini, oxymoronic I know, so shaking it shouldn't be a big issue.

Really? I thought that was only in a few movies and books. I thought when he was in Engand and other non-bloc places, it was gin.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I (shamefully) kind of like Southern Comfort.

Put SoCo on the rocks and let it sit for five minutes. Drink.

It is extremely good.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    It's good in grapefruit juice, it's pretty good in coke, it's good in OJ. It's cheap.

I mean, what's not to like, aside from the fact that it's the internationally acclaimed sweet sweet white trash nectar?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Podly wrote: »

Really? I thought that was only in a few movies and books. I thought when he was in Engand and other non-bloc places, it was gin.

A traditional martini is always made with Gin. Vodka martinis are not really martinis. I mean they are, but they aren't. If you really want a martini it better have Gin and Vermouth in it.

Shogun on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Well it doesn't look like Daniel Craig bloody well cares, so who knows what's going to happen when he gets into the thick of things with SPECTRE.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Shogun wrote: »

A traditional martini is always made with Gin. Vodka martinis are not really martinis. I mean they are, but they aren't. If you really want a martini it better have Gin and Vermouth in it.

Man, you're preaching to the choir here! :lol:

Sometimes I out a kalamata olive in and call it an Orpheus.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    QuazarQuazar Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    As far as "good"(trendy) liquor goes, I've never understood why Bacardi is the "trendy" rum. It must be all the ads in GQ or something.

Captain Morgan's is much better, and if you're looking for flavored rums, Cruzan and Malibu are loads better than Bacardi.

As far as shots go, I pretty much just do straight whiskey. Scooby Snacks (what I posted earlier) are supposed to be a shot, but I make drink versions of it.

My most frequent drinks:
    Rum n' Coke
    Jack n' Coke
    Tom Collins
    Scooby Snack
    Captain Morgan's on the rocks

I attempt to try something new whenever I can, though. I just discovered the Scooby Snack about 2 months ago, and fell in love.

Quazar on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    atl7hahahazo7.png
    XBL: QuazarX
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    One of my favorite mixed drinks is a nice refreshing mojito - that is, a "real" mojito made with fresh ground mint and some nice Cuban rum. Not the trash made with mint liqeur/bad rum or a premix.

Edit- Real Cuban mojitos are best when made by a Cuban bartender and enjoyed in a Cuban establishment while smoking a Montecristo No. 4. Take that, trade embargo!

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Gooey wrote: »
    One of my favorite mixed drinks is a nice refreshing mojito - that is, a "real" mojito made with fresh ground mint and some nice Cuban rum. Not the trash made with mint liqeur/bad rum or a premix.

Edit- Real Cuban mojitos are best when made by a Cuban bartender and enjoyed in a Cuban establishment while smoking a Montecristo No. 2. Take that, trade embargo!

I'd love to try a real one. I got on in flordai at a disney resort place and they used rum and 'mojito mix'. it tasted like absolute shit, and the guy even apologized when I didn't like it explaining that they use the mix and most people don't seem to like it.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I like Midori Sours. They're Midori, Sour Mix, and optionally sprite. They taste like green apple jolly ranchers.

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Edit- Real Cuban mojitos are best when made by a Cuban bartender and enjoyed in a Cuban establishment while smoking a Montecristo No. 4. Take that, trade embargo!

Hmm. The Brazilians I know claim Mojitos for their own and pooh-pooh inferior Cuban mojitos.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Hmm. The Brazilians I know claim Mojitos for their own and pooh-pooh inferior Cuban mojitos.

ITT: We start a war between Brazil and Cuba.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Due to weak teeth, I can't drink anything with sugar/corn syrup in it, so my cocktail options are limited - I usually stick with gin and tonic or martinis. I like the taste of a dirty martini made with vodka, though.
    You realize most modern tonic water has HFCS, right?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Also, why does everyone think Bombay Sapphire is, like, top-shelf gin? It's not that much more than Gordon's, and while it's good, it really doesn't stack up to the real top-shelf stuff, like Tanqueray Ten.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    You're getting snookered, Thanatos. Gin is supposed to suck. Going upmarket with gin is like buying extremely expensive Sanka in a fancy tin.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    But Ten is cool. It has citrusy in it.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    ZsetrekZsetrek Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You're getting snookered, Thanatos. Gin is supposed to suck. Going upmarket with gin is like buying extremely expensive Sanka in a fancy tin.

Yeah, and wine and beer were originally just water substitutes that didn't make you shit blood. Doesn't mean we can't appreciate them as something more than that now.

Zsetrek on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Meh. I was able to tell the difference between a G+T made with and without bombay. I've never tried tanq 10 though.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Also, why does everyone think Bombay Sapphire is, like, top-shelf gin? It's not that much more than Gordon's, and while it's good, it really doesn't stack up to the real top-shelf stuff, like Tanqueray Ten.

Bah, I've tried ten on MORE than a few occasions, and I like regular Tanqueray for my gin. Sapphire has THE best taste - I will never budge on this fact. Ten is ridiculously overrated and overflavored.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    MrMister wrote: »
    I like Midori Sours. They're Midori, Sour Mix, and optionally sprite. They taste like green apple jolly ranchers.

You should try a Tom Collins. You'd probably like it.

moniker on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    MrMister wrote: »

You should try a Tom Collins. You'd probably like it.

<3 Tom Collins. Should also try a Sloe Gin Fizz.

Shogun on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Have you ever had Ten, Will?

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'll usually stick with straight Tanqueray or Sapphire for my martinis or my G&Ts, but when it comes to a quality straight gin, it's all about Ten.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    QuazarQuazar Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I've only ever had -real- Mojitos. I had one at Bahama Breeze, it used bits of mint and everything. Quite good. I do have a 6-pack of the bottled "girl beer" ones from a store, but I haven't opened one yet...

Quazar on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    atl7hahahazo7.png
    XBL: QuazarX
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    My favorite drink is regular old Jameson. I bought some Jameson 12 year as a present to myself last year, and I don't like it very much.

I don't care for Johnnie Walker much, but that's only because I can't afford the good stuff. I had Blue Label at a tasting once, and it was amazingly smooth.

I've had a variety of burbons and scotches and whiskeys, and I still come back to Jamie.

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    SpackleSpackle Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Have you ever had Ten, Will?

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'll usually stick with straight Tanqueray or Sapphire for my martinis or my G&Ts, but when it comes to a quality straight gin, it's all about Ten.

For straight gin, give Tanqueray's Rangpur a go. I haven't had Tanqueray 10 to compare but Rangpur is the first Gin I've really enjoyed sippin.

Spackle on
    Taco Bell does win the franchise war according to the tome of knowledge that is Demolition Man. However, I've watched Demolition Man more then a few times and never once did I see WoW. In conclusion Taco Bell has more lasting power then WoW.
    D&D Metal Thread: HERE
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Variable wrote: »
    I'd love to try a real one. I got on in flordai at a disney resort place and they used rum and 'mojito mix'. it tasted like absolute shit, and the guy even apologized when I didn't like it explaining that they use the mix and most people don't seem to like it.

A "real" mojito should take about 5 minutes or so to make. Not every bar will make a good one for this reason - they would rather be turning out the standard well drinks every 15 seconds. Also, it's kindof a hassle to have fresh mint leaves on hand at all times. You stand a good chance at getting a mojito at upscale bars/restraunts. Ask around though, they're becoming more popular again so more bars are starting to make them.
    Quazar wrote: »
    I've only ever had -real- Mojitos. I had one at Bahama Breeze, it used bits of mint and everything. Quite good. I do have a 6-pack of the bottled "girl beer" ones from a store, but I haven't opened one yet...

The best mojito I've ever had was in Grand Cayman. My girlfriend, myself and the other couple we were travelling with found a little cuban cigar shop that had a small bar in the back. 3 hours, 18 drinks, 4 cigars and only $150 later we were pretty snockered up. Those were absolutely fantastic mojitos. Also, they had an in-shop roller who rolled for Castro himself.

I haven't tried the pre-bottled mojitos. If they're decent I might end up buying a 6 pack just in case I get a craving.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png