As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] WoW Expansion info leaked

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I don't mind raising the cap another 10 because 60-70 was quick and enjoyable.

Decent Xp and rewards for quests, large zones with enough stuff to put you up two levels. It's a far cry from the shitty original way of doing 3 quests in a zone for 10% of your total level and then spending 15 minutes travelling to the equivalent zone on the other side of the planet to do another 2 quests before realising you're just going to have to pick a spot and grind for hours.

There's also the issue of over gearing. I've already got a base 30% crit rate and we've only just started karazahn, progression has to mean better gear, but you can't let it get to the point where someone has a 40-50% crit chance. As the level increase the amount of rating required for stats increases, which lets them put in better gear without making stats ridiculous. There's really no other way around it .

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    edited August 2007
    They desparately need to put in new 20-60 content. I know the argument is that if you put too much lower level stuff in you'll spread the playerbase too thin, but as it is now there's really just not enough to do around 35-60 especially and the game starts to drag horribly.

They also need to release heroic/level 70 versions of the old world instances and raids.

The absolute last thing WOW needs is a level cap increase. What they should do is make the majority of Northrend 20-60, with a few high end level 70 instances and raids scattered about.

I agree with more 20-60 content because the vanilla game's zones/quests are fucking terrible and levelling alts is too much like a job you aren't getting paid for.

However I strongly disagree with making the entire focus of an expansion based on making the original levelling game easier, it doesn't make sense from a game or lore perspective. Add a ton more quests and a couple of instances to the original zones in Azeroth so that it flows better, increase the XP awarded for questing, that's all that needs doing.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Blizzard DID say they're shooting for an expansion a year.

We all know that won't happen.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    BC was fun, the new zones were a step above the old and I thoroughly enjoyed the content. Needless to say, I welcome a new expansion from our Snowy Overlords.

Shurakai on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    There will be no more 20-60 content. Believe me. Kaplan has said a few times they arent going to waste time developing content for levels which already have 5 years of content already there.

The_Scarab on
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    There will be no more 20-60 content. Believe me. Kaplan has said a few times they arent going to waste time developing content for levels which already have 5 years of content already there.

Those levels haven't gotten new shit since maraudon(1.3?). Levelling up alts is downright painful.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited August 2007
    Someone needs to tell him that it's five years of shit content. I for one am not going to quit because I'm level 70 and bored, I am going to quit because I want to play as a paladin and I don't want to spend 4 months playing the shittiest game in the universe to level up enough to get to Outland.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • PurpleScarfPurpleScarf Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Even if it won't happen I'd still love some 20-60 content. Especially above the 30's, which is when you really have to start the tedious zone hopping, good times, but I guess thats because I'm a raging alt-o-holic.
    Anywho, I'd love if this is real. Big fan of the snowy areas (I'd like to shout out to my homies in Winterspring) except Dun Morogh which can DIAF. Of course, I won't believe anything till Blizz announces it themselves.

PurpleScarf on
    IM IN UR FORUM
    READING UR POSTS
    edited August 2007
    No. What they will do, and what Luke Smith has nagged them about like a billion times is a service to buy a lv 60 instead of levelling an alt.

Like character transfer, it will spawn a level 60 of any class/race with white items and all skills learned and then you are off.

People who are levelling alts have already played the 20-60 content for the first time. It is there, it doesnt matter if it is shit, 90% of the WoW userbase is over lv 60 or at 60. There will be no new 20-60 content. This isnt like my opinion, it is direct from the lead designer. There will be tweaks, one or two new quests, I know a new quest hub was added to Ashenvale and what was it, Stonetalon? But they are just flightpaths and vendors. There wont be new instances, no new zones. Nothing. A shame but the truth is if they want to spend 6 months developing, testing and designing a zone/instance/bunch of quests, they aint gonna make it for 10% of the population, they will make it for 90%.

The_Scarab on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    No. What they will do, and what Luke Smith has nagged them about like a billion times is a service to buy a lv 60 instead of levelling an alt.

Like character transfer, it will spawn a level 60 of any class/race with white items and all skills learned and then you are off.

People who are levelling alts have already played the 20-60 content for the first time. It is there, it doesnt matter if it is shit, 90% of the WoW userbase is over lv 60 or at 60. There will be no new 20-60 content. This isnt like my opinion, it is direct from the lead designer. There will be tweaks, one or two new quests, I know a new quest hub was added to Ashenvale and what was it, Stonetalon? But they are just flightpaths and vendors. There wont be new instances, no new zones. Nothing. A shame but the truth is if they want to spend 6 months developing, testing and designing a zone/instance/bunch of quests, they aint gonna make it for 10% of the population, they will make it for 90%.

The other problem is raiding
    Why waste the time creating an instance that less than 30% of the players will see when you roll out the next expanion in the series will make it all around obsolete

I personally feel that Northrend will be a big mistake If they have Arathas why then make another expanion past that

I think the Emerald Dream is a better choice because other than the vauge hints we have no idea what is going on in there

Brainleech on
    edited August 2007
    Brainleech wrote: »

Why waste the time creating an instance that less than 30% of the players will see when you roll out the next expanion in the series will make it all around obsolete

Over 30% of the population raid in some capacity.

And that group of people, raiders, will contribute more to the coffers of Blizzard then the rest. They are the people who per month every month since WoW launched, everyone else takes breaks, quits the game, plays intermitantly for small periods.

The hardcore raiding community for WoW is definetly the people you want to develop content for. Especially now, with 10 and 25 man raiding, nearly everyone is raiding in some fashion.

The_Scarab on
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Brainleech wrote: »

Over 30% of the population raid in some capacity.

And that group of people, raiders, will contribute more to the coffers of Blizzard then the rest. They are the people who per month every month since WoW launched, everyone else takes breaks, quits the game, plays intermitantly for small periods.

The hardcore raiding community for WoW is definetly the people you want to develop content for. Especially now, with 10 and 25 man raiding, nearly everyone is raiding in some fashion.

I've seen a good plenty of people quit because of the raiding in BC.

INeedNoSalt on
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'd bet a toe or some other minor appendage that Blizzard will try to push out another expansion and/or major patch next February or so.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Here comes Arthas!

Magus` on
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    what the fuck is with the WoW hate on the first page.
    more importantly, what the hell is it doing in a thread aimed for people who play wow? that kind of shit always pisses me off.

anywho, I hope this rumor is true but I hope it has nothing to do with a new level cap. i just...don't feel like leveling anymore. just put up some new instances and some new battlegrounds, perhaps a tweak here and there along with a new race, new class if possible...

heck yeah I'd buy it.

Guek on
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    FireWeasel wrote: »
    Who knows what the hell to expect...apart from the same old bullshit.

Sorry, I've been sort of bitter towards WoW, ever since I quit it.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Frankly that's a horribly stupid business plan.

Either you make the character fee low and no one ever new ever buys your game (Seriously, might as well take the box out of stores, without alts the low level zones will be so underpopulated and instances will be unrunnable as you won't be able to find people to do them, so you're not going to get any new subs that stay past the first month. See Dark Age of Camelot).

Or you make the character fee high and no one pays it, people just stick with their mains and your crappy 60- game with alts or just quit.

On the other hand, you can do some decent low level content so that hitting 60 is not a chore, and get probably as much out of your users in the long term as you would from a character transfer fee.

Jealous Deva on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Either you make the character fee low and no one ever new ever buys your game (Seriously, might as well take the box out of stores, without alts the low level zones will be so underpopulated and instances will be unrunnable as you won't be able to find people to do them, so you're not going to get any new subs that stay past the first month. See Dark Age of Camelot).

Or you make the character fee high and no one pays it, people just stick with their mains and your crappy 60- game with alts or just quit.

On the other hand, you can do some decent low level content so that hitting 60 is not a chore, and get probably as much out of your users in the long term as you would from a character transfer fee.

How many experienced players really run lowbie instances in pub groups with their alts? I certainly just soloed the whole way. Sure the low zones would be a little more barren, but as time goes on less and less new players are coming in anyway so it only makes sense to make the game in favor of existing users. Given how much of WoW's level grind is solo, empty zones just makes it easier. They could also just speed up the low level game for newbies.

I would definitely be willing to create a character at 60 for $15, which compensates them for the month I didn't spend levelling him. It's win/win.

Zek on
  • MorithainMorithain Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It appears that gamespot is already jumping on this:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/worldofwarcraftwrathofthelichking/index.html?tag=result;title;0

"This World of Warcraft expansion pack will open up the frigid realm of Northrend to those seeking honor, glory, and loot.
    "

O.O

Morithain on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I personally cant get into a character I haven't been used to playing, which is why I always start a new character when I resubscribe. I simply cannot play my Level 60 Paladin anymore. I healbotted for so long, quite enjoyably at that though, and then spent a few months of not playing them before BC came out, that I could not get into soloing quests anymore.

New 20-60 content should be a must, especially if they add new races or classes. Everyone will partake in it on the way to 70(Or god forbid, 80), and likely enjoy themselves more and continue paying subscription fees.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I think they definitely need to really speed up the 1-60 process if they add to the endgame again with more levels or whatever else. Making an alt just becomes more and more prohibitive with every addition.

Zek on
  • redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'd say they don't even really need new content. Just doubling the experience gains in every Azeroth zone but the Burning Crusade starters, EPL, Silithus, and Winterspring would be more than enough to make 20-58 something other than an awful drudge.

redstormpopcorn on
    emot-kamina.gifBELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I think they just need to chuck in a couple of zones in the middle that are as well designed as the low level ones they added in TBC as far as adding stuff for 1-60 content is concerned. Something for 30-50.

-SPI- on
    edited August 2007
    -SPI- wrote: »
    I think they just need to chuck in a couple of zones in the middle that are as well designed as the low level ones they added in TBC as far as adding stuff for 1-60 content is concerned. Something for 30-50.

I would kill for a 35-45 zone that I could do and completely ignore Stranglethorn Vale. I'd almost be content if that was all it added as far as mid level content.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    eelektrik wrote: »
    -SPI- wrote: »

I would kill for a 35-45 zone that I could do and completely ignore Stranglethorn Vale. I'd almost be content if that was all it added as far as mid level content.

good god yes.

Guek on
  • JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I disagree. As soon as I heard Luke Smith propose the idea on Legendary Thread, I realized it was genius.

There are a lot of people who have gone through that 1-60 grind, and it's not fun to do it for the umpteenth time. I would love to try out some of the other classes/races/factions, but damned if I'm going to spend another few months levelling a toon back up to 60. Yes, I know this can be done far shorter, but I'm not about to sacrifice hours every day and all my weekends power-levelling either.
    That's a good point, but as long as you keep adding things like new classes and races, there will always be some people levelling the traditional way. And arguably, there's just so many people playing the game that it seems like they'll always have critical mass for people wanting to go through the old content anyway. WoW is certainly no Dark Age of Camelot.
    You seem to forget that Burning Crusade tried to do that. It brought in all this great new content from level 1-20, for the Blood Elves and Draenei. Guess what, once you hit 20, levelling became a chore again.

Blizzard would have to add a lot of new content, in order to prevent the 1-60 grind from being tiresome. I'm not talking about a new quest here and there either. That still wouldn't be enough. I don't think you realize just how much time and effort it takes to create content. Personally, I'd rather see that energy put forth towards high-end content, which I'm much more likely to experience.

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The one problem with giving the option to buy a 60 is time. Unless it costs upwards of 30 dollars, Blizzard is gonna lose a fuckton of cash. Because not everyone can get to 60 in a month, they would just end up losing oodles of tasty subscription fees, which basically negates the entire point of a pay-to-play pricing scheme. They might as well just make it free but change the box price to 100 dollars.

EDIT: and since they figure there's a high chance you're addicted to WoW, you'll pay for those months of levelling even though it isnt as fun as high-end stuff.

BlueDestiny on
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The one problem with giving the option to buy a 60 is time. Unless it costs upwards of 30 dollars, Blizzard is gonna lose a fuckton of cash. Because not everyone can get to 60 in a month, they would just end up losing oodles of tasty subscription fees, which basically negates the entire point of a pay-to-play pricing scheme. They might as well just make it free but change the box price to 100 dollars.

I don't follow. Are you suggesting people get to level 70, and then quit, having "beaten the game"?

The game only starts at level 70. At least, once you've beaten it once.

Only give players who have a maximum level character the option to buy another.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited August 2007

EDIT: and since they figure there's a high chance you're addicted to WoW, you'll pay for those months of levelling even though it isnt as fun as high-end stuff.

The original proposal, which comes from Luke Smith when he was podcasting at 1UP, is that you would only allow players who already have a level 70 character, to buy a level 60. I think it's a necessary requirement, not because of the profit concerns from Blizzard, but because I would not want to play with a new WoW player at 60.

Those who've made it to the level cap should already have a pretty good understanding of how all the classes work, their skills, and abilities. I'm fine with a newbie level 60 druid who has a level 70 main warrior, because it's pretty damn difficult to get to that point without learning something about the druid class.

The nice side benefit, I guess, is that it still forces new players to level up the traditional way. Which is fine, because for new players, the content from 1-60 is still damned good. It's just not "new" to the millions of us who've played through it so many times.

JCRooks on

edited August 2007
    JCRooks wrote: »

Those who've made it to the level cap should already have a pretty good understanding of how all the classes work, their skills, and abilities. I'm fine with a newbie level 60 druid who has a level 70 main warrior, because it's pretty damn difficult to get to that point without learning something about the druid class.

Ive seen people make it to level 60 without learning anything about the class they're actually playing. Or the time I ran into a level 54 Paladin running people through Scarlet Monastery while trying to make money for his mount... No, not his epic mount. He never got his free mount at 40, and still somehow in 14 levels still couldn't afford a regular mount anyways.

Being able to buy a 60 is a horrible idea, even if you've gotten to 70 already.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • MisanthropicMisanthropic Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    A little high up birdie told me:

It is called Wrath of the Lich King. It is set in Northrend. There is a new class, Death Knight. They are raising the level cap to 80.

Misanthropic on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm gonna jump on the "They REALLY need to update the 20-60 content" bandwagon. I did it 3 times, somehow, pre-BC.

Afterwords, I went and leveled up a BE character, and my god, going from Ghostlands -> whatever is a fucking eye opener. The game's tediousness increases by 10000%. Especially after having already leveled my main in Outland. It's so obvious they've learned a ton over the past few years about zone design, and they REALLY need to go back and apply that to the old zones.

And while handing out free 60s sounds like a good idea, it's a best a stop gap and at worst an idiotic solution that completely ignores the problem. What if they introduce a new class? Is no one gonna play that class pre-60 ever? And that doesn't even cover the fact that jumping into a lvl 60 character of a class you've never played is VERY daunting. Leveling up is as much about slowly learning how to play your class as it is anything. There's a reason they throw your skills at you in small doses. The person playing that fresh lvl 60 is gonna suck at it, hard.

Hell, it's even good business sense, since leveling alts keeps people playing longer. I've stopped playing for now mostly because leveling my alt became so painful, and I'd lost interest in grinding shit to get my max level characters more gear.

shryke on
  • MisanthropicMisanthropic Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    With them increasing the level cap to 80 and adding a new class, I'd be almost certain that they're implementing some sort of faster way to level.

Level 1 to 80 would be so tedious.

Misanthropic on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2007
    apotheos wrote: »
    I tried to like this game, and I really did like it, but it was so vapid and repetitive.
    This shouldn't surprise you, as that's how just about every MMORPG is.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited August 2007
    eelektrik wrote: »
    JCRooks wrote: »

Ive seen people make it to level 60 without learning anything about the class they're actually playing. Or the time I ran into a level 54 Paladin running people through Scarlet Monastery while trying to make money for his mount... No, not his epic mount. He never got his free mount at 40, and still somehow in 14 levels still couldn't afford a regular mount anyways.

That's why I said "should have a pretty good understanding". We can throw anecdotal evidence around all day. I'm sure there are plenty of idiots at level 70, but I can show you plenty of non-idiots at level 70 as well.

JCRooks on

• redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    A little high up birdie told me:

It is called Wrath of the Lich King. It is set in Northrend. There is a new class, Death Knight. They are raising the level cap to 80.
    Considering Death Knights are undead sworn to the Lich King's service, I'd say your birdie's pretty high.

redstormpopcorn on
    emot-kamina.gifBELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I dont quite see everyone throwing hate on an increased level cap. That alot of people will lose the end game, I can understand that and sympathise. I only joined a raiding group late in vanilla wow and we never truly started doing even BWL. In the burning crusade, we haven't even reached serpentshrine though gruul and kara are on easy farm. I would really love to kill illidan on the proper level.

But that there shouldn't be a new level cap because levelling takes time, thats just pure idiocy. Sure, I loves me my epics. But getting new powers I could not dream about before, gathering new items and slaying new foes, thats what the game is all about! I loved the burning crusade, and found the new cap and changes to be a very positive change for my characters. I will look forward to this as well.

Vic on
  • Retarded_TurkeyRetarded_Turkey Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I think the level cap should be raised to 75 and new 20-60 content.

What could the new races be?

Retarded_Turkey on
    camo_sig.png
  • kaz67kaz67 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hopefully they will add new classes because thats about the only thing that could get me to play WoW again at this point.

kaz67 on
  • eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I don't really find the Arena to be "work", sure, its unbalanced which causes frustration, but its not the ridiculous grind of the raiding that made me have to quit wow last year. I play alot now, because I don't have school yet, but when it starts, it won't require playing all afternoon every day to make my player better.

If only they'd make the arena more fun, it'd be perfect.

Oh well, WAR is coming out soon anyway.

What is WAR?

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?