Options

S-b Art corner - (insert witty or self degrading title here)

2»

• Options
    Shiekahn_boyShiekahn_boy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Sorry for no response guys. Yesterday had to do a shatload of yardwork by self and today i feel worn out and my back hurts. I went to the bookstore with my two sisters and looked for anatomy books. Too bad all the reference books were all cop-outs. They never told me much about figure drawing, only "This is so pretty! Lookit the way im drawing it!! You need to draw like this or you suck!" :B That bookstore was shit anyways.

I'll have to order the books off amazon. Asked my parents about studying anatomy and they said "Go on ahead, you should have started there in the first place." So I guess I have no real reason to be shy anymore.

Shiekahn_boy on
    "your a moron you know that wolves have packs wich they rely on nd they could ever here of lone wolves? you an idiot and your gay, wolves have packs and are smart with tactics" - Youtube Wolf Enthusiast.
    What the fuck are you people even arguing about? Shut up.
  • Options
    thundercakethundercake Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    After going through life drawing classes, I find I'm completely indifferent to nudity. It's kind of amazing to me now how shocked our society gets by something that everyone has, a naked body. Nudity by itself isn't sexual or perverted or unnatural...what's unnatural is the sense of shame that's ingrained into everybody around the subject. Other cultures don't seem to have these hang-ups...why do we?

thundercake on
  • Options
    CrowlestonCrowleston Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Blame the puritans!

Crowleston on
    useless but necessary objects of society.
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Other cultures don't seem to have these hang-ups...why do we?

All cultures have hang ups on nudity. Perhaps not the the extent of the more industrialized cultures, but it's there. This is evident in the fact that even in the most remote tribes at least one gender has to cover their genitalia. I have never read of any culture where ppl simply walk around naked.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

All cultures have hang ups on nudity. Perhaps not the the extent of the more industrialized cultures, but it's there. This is evident in the fact that even in the most remote tribes at least one gender has to cover their genitalia. I have never read of any culture where ppl simply walk around naked.

You will find this interesting MT. (Possibly NSFW)

Crowleston on
  • Options
    NakedElfNakedElf Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    use a mirror?

Mirrors are great for learning anatomy. Especially if you've got several of them you can use at once to get a look at your back.

But unless you're really special, they'll only help you learn to draw people who look like yourself...

That could to some extent be caused by it simply being useful to cover the genitals. Getting a groin full of nettles is never a pleasant experience...

NakedElf on
  • Options
    lilchingch0nglilchingch0ng Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Asked my parents about studying anatomy and they said "Go on ahead, you should have started there in the first place." So I guess I have no real reason to be shy anymore.

OWNED

lilchingch0ng on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    *UPDATE*: Sorry for not much, I've started two-a-days in football so im acheing with pain when i come home.
    I sketched my face in the mirror. Look at the pretty shadeing!!!
    face.jpg
    I drew this sunday, before practice. Looks better IRL, scanner took some of the quality out of it and made it darker.
    Hand.jpg

Oh, and here's proof of my disappearance.
    Dakotaspics002.jpg
    Dakotaspics001-1.jpg

That's what you get on JV as punchingbags. Coaches are douchebags, contact without anything but a helmet = Pain.

Shiekahn_boy on
    "your a moron you know that wolves have packs wich they rely on nd they could ever here of lone wolves? you an idiot and your gay, wolves have packs and are smart with tactics" - Youtube Wolf Enthusiast.
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Oh waa...play rugby you pussy.

DeeLock on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    comparing your self portraits neck to your neck in the photo, you aren't as beefy as that. You are also working with a lot of hard line. What kind of pencil are you using?

Crowleston on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Just a regular pencil. All my art pencils are missing as of now. That is one thing that i could point out. My neck was pretty big in the picture I drew. I think it's because I never really extended my neck fully. Other then that I think it came out okay, except for my shadeing. Looks like crap.

It's going to be hard replaceing my pencils since its hard to find places to buy art supplies in my city. I'll just have to look around town more.

Edit:

Oh yeah, DeeLock, This is a thread to help out with my art, not to put in insults. If your going to be usefull I suggest you tell me some weak points in my art and ways I can improve. Other then that don't post at all. Jackass.

Shiekahn_boy on
  • Options
    JackalAndromedaJackalAndromeda Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    When you say a normal pencil I'm assuming you mean number 2? Anyway, you don't need fancy schmancy pencils or anything other than what you already have for the moment. Expirement with what you've got.

Take a sheet of paper and make all kinds of marks on it. Use the tip of the pencil, and the side of the pencil, try touching the paper lightly and then very hard. Somethings move it side to side, other times try moving it in little circles. See what your pencil is capable of, build up a new vocabulary of marks. You seem to be shading the same way everytime, you make sharp little paralel lines. It also might help to try holding your pencil in different ways.

Just play around with different possilble ways to shade. Also keep in mind the shape of what you are shading. Your face is not flat, try curving your marks when you shade. (I know that there is a term for what I am talking about, maybe one of my more learned/experianced forum colleages can tell me what it is?)

Playing and exploring and being curious with what your doing can show you many different ways to do things. Don't say "Oh, I just have a crap pencil, it will only produce crap work." Find out what it can do. A tool is just a tool, it's the person behind it that makes the difference.

I hope that didn't sound too silly...

JackalAndromeda on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Thanks alot man, means alot to me.

Shiekahn_boy on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Oh yeah, DeeLock, This is a thread to help out with my art, not to put in insults. If your going to be usefull I suggest you tell me some weak points in my art and ways I can improve. Other then that don't post at all. Jackass.

Ok, you're right...I'm sorry.

Want advice?

Don't think about what other people think. Do what you have to do...and right now that's study anatomy.

And listen to everything angel of bacon says...he's a god.

DeeLock on
  • Options
    r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It's going to be hard replaceing my pencils since its hard to find places to buy art supplies in my city. I'll just have to look around town more.
    ummm... any newsagent will do the trick.

r-jasper on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    DeeLock wrote: »

Ok, you're right...I'm sorry.

Want advice?

Don't think about what other people think. Do what you have to do...and right now that's study anatomy.

And listen to everything angel of bacon says...he's a god.

Thank you, Apology accepted :)

Going to go find an anatomy book at the art store I saw today. Been drawing a little bit.

Shiekahn_boy on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Bought a sketchbook and carried it around for awile to find some inspiration.

Jason:

I loved doing it, and it was for a friend who was feeling down.
    Jason.jpg

Hands:
    Thumbs!!!

Hands.jpg
    Feet:
    Well, they're my feet. My second toe is as long as my pinky finger. ( I wear a size 16 shoe)
    Feet.jpg
    Forearms:
    I have alot of moles on me. Over 40 on my left arm I think.
    Forearm-1.jpg

Sketch dump:

These are sketches i made of another scarecrow dude named Crow.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Shiekahn_boy/Crowsketch1.jpg
    This one was first idea... I really hate it.... So i decided to look at areas and improve them.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Shiekahn_boy/Crowsheet.jpg
    I was trying to get his face down along with his eyes and hair. Also parts of his costume.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Shiekahn_boy/Crowsheet2.jpg
    Did this one going to a skrimage game in Kauffman. The bus was a shaky ride so it looks really messy in some parts.

Shiekahn_boy on
  • Options
    BenGPTBenGPT Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I think you're progressing pretty well as far as form goes. I like seeing those sketches from life, they'll do you good. Work on shading, rather than just scratching in randomly. Hmm, there's a tutorial on that around here somewhere.

http://homepages.tesco.net/p.wilkinson/BlendShade.htm

BenGPT on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Thanks for the link! It's pretty helpfull! I need to bookmark it for future reference.

Shiekahn_boy on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Just a pick of Ian from LOTR
    IanMckellen.jpg
    Gimmie a sec, need to find reference pic. Its on the 13th page of the art chat thread.

Shiekahn_boy on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Here's why your drawing looks absolutely nothing like Ian McKellan

iancomparison.jpg

Just about the only thing you got nearly right on this picture was the contour of the right side of his face and jaw. The left side of his head is skewed away and out of proportion, as is most readily seen by the ear being way off mark.

Probably THE biggest single mistake on this drawing is the eyes. Not only are they totally symbolized and made up, they're too big, they're out of perspective, and they've slid down his face an inch or so; instead of a wistful upward gaze we have big dumb cartoon eyes that totally kill the picture. Eyes are one of THE most vital parts of a face to get correct in order to achieve a likeness in a portrait. The next biggest problem feature is the nose. You've placed it in roughly the right position on the face, but the rendering is totally off so as to completely change the impression of the form of his nose. Ian McKellan has a fairly large, bulbous nose, but the way you've turned the form makes it look squished and almost native African or something.

Closer examination of the ear will show that the ear you drew and the ear on Sir Ian's head are completely different. The ear you drew has a tiny little lobe and then a concave contour up to the tip, while Ian's actual is a big old man's ear with not a concavity to be found on the contour, much larger near the bottom.

The lips are the last thing I'll mention. They're too wide and the shape is simply wrong.

In summary, pay closer attention to your reference. It's one thing to get fooled by your drawing and let things skew out of proportion, but when the features themselves are so disparate from reality it shows that you probably just aren't really looking at them. If this last bit makes absolutely no sense to you, I suggest you try a "grid drawing" of an easily recognizable person until It makes perfect sense.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I just couldn't get it the way i wanted too really. I was getting flustered at some of the details around his eyes like the wrinkles. I havn't really drawn wrinkles before so it sorta made it a challenge to draw him.
    Eyes: These are one of the hardest things I've drawn. Eyes for me are very difficult since I was a stupid kid and all i drew was manga. I'm thinking of starting a drawing study. I draw 5 hands, 5 eyes, and 5 matchstick figures a day untill I start to get better results.

What it looks like to me is that i pulled and streached the top of his ear and his face whent with it. Next time I draw him I will look back at my old one and see my mistakes and also use your critique as reference also. I really appreciate the help you gave me. I appreciate alot of the critique that is given to me. Don't feel offended if i don't reply for awile. School started back up and I've been hitting the books studying and doing homework. (that's also why i have not been submitting alot.)

Shiekahn_boy on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, so I'm starting to get in the drawing mood again. Here's a 30 min sketch of Kratos's head.
    god_of_war.jpg
    I took art his year, never really progressed much but then again, art1 is a blowoff class. they should have called it arts and crafts. That and competing with an attention whore sophomore on critique from the teacher is no better.

My peers are retarded.

EDIT:
    What I see...
    Eyes are off. Probably too high?
    The chin has no indication of really when it ends, so i guess i hid it with the beard.
    Ears are a bit out of alignment and somewhat crooked?
    Eye on the right is good, the left one is meh. Wrinkles or something to add detail of the eye sockets bunching form being open.
    neck is alright, a bit off, but I just put that in for alignment i guess. Took me like 10 seconds.

Shiekahn_boy on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Here's some new Sketches
    http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/1589/pictureuld.jpg
    GRAHARARA I HAVE NO HANDS!
    http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/1139/picture001gkj.jpg
    I broke the thing into sections, or was looking at it from an above angle and messed up.
    http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/1792/picture002qvd.jpg
    Pose practice... Well, after about a pageful of them i decided to draw a random one.
    http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/8983/picture003rce.jpg
    Everyone likes a good hand job.
    wait...
    http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/4562/picture004ces.jpg
    I hate eyes soooo much that i forced myself to draw them. Here are some celebrity eyes that I am a little ashamed of.

Shiekahn_boy on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    you've got a bad case of football eyes going on there. Your Irises are consistently too large as well.

Try really drawing the eye ball, (I can see some loosely thrown in circles there, but they're not where the eyeball would be) then draw the flesh as it rests on and stretches across the ball.

Also, try slowly move your pencil instead of scratching it back and forth.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Cameron Diaz eyes are most successful, because they dont look like footy eyes. Keep it up. These sketches are better than your 07 ones.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    MaximasXXZMaximasXXZ Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

You really need to build up some line confidence. These sketchy, scribbly lines are a common sign of inexperience. I wouldn't recommend moving your pencil slowly as Manon suggests though, in fact ideally you should be doing just the opposite. Move your pencil in fluid motions with your whole arm. While it doesn't have to be extremely fast, try using longer strokes instead of going over the same line 200 times with small sketchy strokes.

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
    PSN: MaximasXXZ XBOX Live: SneakyMcSnipe
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    you've got a bad case of football eyes going on there. Your Irises are consistently too large as well.

Try really drawing the eye ball, (I can see some loosely thrown in circles there, but they're not where the eyeball would be) then draw the flesh as it rests on and stretches across the ball.

Guh, I see. I use the circle to indicate where the eye is and try to draw the eyelids in and they end up looking like that. The Irises are too big, I agree. Also, the glare on the pupil sorta looks off on a few other then Cameron's. This is my... fourth real study of eyes so i didn't expect it to look good.
    You really need to build up some line confidence. These sketchy, scribbly lines are a common sign of inexperience. I wouldn't recommend moving your pencil slowly as Manon suggests though, in fact ideally you should be doing just the opposite. Move your pencil in fluid motions with your whole arm. While it doesn't have to be extremely fast, try using longer strokes instead of going over the same line 200 times with small sketchy strokes.

Heh, I think it's a refection of my handwriting. I'll take that in advice. I am inexperienced, I had no real artistic training at all. Art 1 was sorta a blow off class. Here's hoping for ART2, She makes you fill up a sketchbook every 6 weeks.

Shiekahn_boy on
  • Options
    MaximasXXZMaximasXXZ Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Heh, I think it's a refection of my handwriting. I'll take that in advice. I am inexperienced, I had no real artistic training at all. Art 1 was sorta a blow off class. Here's hoping for ART2, She makes you fill up a sketchbook every 6 weeks.

The only "real" artistic training you need is practice. In addition to drawing from life, pick a favorite artist and examine closely what they do. Try to pick it apart the best you can and emulate them. Mine was, and probably always will be, Yoji Shinkawa (big Metal Gear Solid fan). Get as many books as you can stomach. Read them with a grain of salt, understanding that each one is written by an artist with his or her own techniques. I started off with Burne Hogarth books, he has a somewhat dated style and cryptic writing method, but great books nonetheless.

Keep drawing from life but don't let it stop you from having fun either. Use what you're learning from life drawings and apply it to what you're interested in.

Also, high school art classes are pretty much like that. You won't learn much, you'll just do art. The kids that are good will succeed, the kids that aren't will probably just hang out all day and still get a passing grade. If you really want to get better you'll have to take it upon yourself to do so, use all the resources available here on the forum to your advantage as well. The internet is a great place... just stay away from 4chan.

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
    PSN: MaximasXXZ XBOX Live: SneakyMcSnipe
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Thanks for the help guys and the feedback. I'm going to go prepare dinner and probably draw afterwords.

Shiekahn_boy on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My point is my experience with Christopher Hart books is that he teaches a bag of tricks- 'comic eyes THIS way, manga eyes THAT way, etc.', and not any real fundamentals of art or anatomy. After all, how would he sell more books if he actually managed to write one that actually taught someone how the hell to draw?

Jesus, I just went on amazon.com and did the search inside link?

DO NOT USE THIS BOOK TO LEARN ANATOMY FROM. The figures on "The Muscles" pages are so far gone in exaggeration and proportion that taking it seriously at all is just going to fuck you up in developing really bad habits later on. You'd be doing yourself a favor by throwing that crap in the garbage, or donating it an arch-nemesis of yours.

Get a book that focuses on human anatomy. Not superhero anatomy, or manga dude anatomy, or anything "Xtreme" or "cutting edge" or "cool" or whatever. Plain 'ol fashioned people anatomy without any of the Liefieldian horseshit going on.

Please. PLEASE.

EDIT: WHY DO I KEEP LOOKING AT THIS GUY'S HORRENDOUS SHIT.

I AM MAKING MYSELF SO DAMN ANGRY

I'm actually sort of offended by that woman he's drawing in a book about anatomy.

And I'm a dude.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/2044/picture005zfh.jpg

Your critique. Gather them and tell them to me.

Shiekahn_boy on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    name001.th.jpg

New art. Janitor from Scrubs.

Shiekahn_boy on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Well, i can't edit posts, here's a better version.
    http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/4550/name001.jpg

Shiekahn_boy on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Could you put the pictures in the post instead of linking them?

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited July 2009
    No, he cant. Hes jailed.

Iruka on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You still have the same fundamental problem you had 2 years ago.

You need to crunch on your observation skills, because you're still making things up as you go and symbolizing. Looking but not seeing.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Scosglen wrote: »
    You still have the same fundamental problem you had 2 years ago.

You need to crunch on your observation skills, because you're still making things up as you go and symbolizing. Looking but not seeing.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Alright, I'll read up on my book "Drawing on the right side of the brain" some time.

Shiekahn_boy on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Probably the best advise I can offer you is too slow down and draw everything as accurately as you possibly can. I think everyone gets so caught up on the "this epic art took me 3.9 seconds" side of things that they forget to learn. Speed merely displays your familiarity with the subject matter and as far as I'm concerned if you do shit fast, chances are you didn't learn much, if anything.

Mustang on