As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So I want to get a hip flask

Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
However, I have no idea what kind of stores sell them. Specifically, I'd like to get one that has glass lining the inside so that anything stored inside doesn't have its flavor affected by the metal, along with being able to leave stuff inside longer. Online searches so far have only shown pure metal stuff or European vendors.

So, anyone that can point me in a direction to look?

Big Dookie wrote: »
I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
Steel Angel on

• Options
    ChenjesuChenjesu Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I do not know about the glass-lined part, but I was in Dick's Sporting Goods on Tuesday, and they have hip flasks in the camping section. Go figure.

Chenjesu on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Actually, look for actual liquor bottles -- 375ml ones. I have a flask of tequila that's, well, a glass bottle, and wrapped in leather. Once empty, it's perfectly reusable as a generic hip flask, and thanks to the leather has a strap and everything. A high-end liquor store will likely stock more unique brands of alcohol, and the more unique brands typically expand into interesting bottles. You're more likely to find a flask or flask-shaped bottle that way.

I know I've seen smaller bottles of alcohol in stores that are flask-shaped in the states, as well. As you say, glass imparts nor stores any flavor, so it shouldn't matter what was in the bottle when you purchased it.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    You want a metal casing with glass lined on the inside. That way if it breaks when you fall down you don't have shards of glass in your leg (and hint: they're going to go straight into the muscle and if you've ever had a tetanus shot you know how much that's going to fuck up your ability to walk)

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    That's what he said. Though it would suck if it was dropped and the glass inside shattered, tainting the alchohol with grains of glass and making it kind of dangerous to drink out of.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    That's what he said. Though it would suck if it was dropped and the glass inside shattered, tainting the alchohol with grains of glass and making it kind of dangerous to drink out of.

Well, the glass inside is less likely to shatter when it's within a metal shell, and if you take a hard fall onto a hip flask, you shouldn't be drinking straight from it until you've had the chance to pour it out into a glass and shake the thing about to see if it's full of broken glass.

This is still a much better situation than having a leg full of broken glass, and pants soaking wet with booze and blood.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    DrDizaster wrote: »

Well, the glass inside is less likely to shatter when it's within a metal shell, and if you take a hard fall onto a hip flask, you shouldn't be drinking straight from it until you've had the chance to pour it out into a glass and shake the thing about to see if it's full of broken glass.

This is still a much better situation than having a leg full of broken glass, and pants soaking wet with booze and blood.

This sounds like the worrying voice of experience.

http://www.peter-russell-engraving.co.uk/index.asp

A quick froogle shows the above selling LOTS of hipflasks. Site is barred from my work connection so I can't check it out though I'm afraid, and being it's UK based I can't check to see if it delivers to the states.

I'm useless really :)

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    This sounds like the worrying voice of experience.

http://www.peter-russell-engraving.co.uk/index.asp

A quick froogle shows the above selling LOTS of hipflasks. Site is barred from my work connection so I can't check it out though I'm afraid, and being it's UK based I can't check to see if it delivers to the states.

I'm useless really :)

Unfortunately, it looks like they only deal with all metal ones. So does everything I'm finding on Froogle myself.

Steel Angel on
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Why would the liquid have its flavor affected by the metal?

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You'd be surprised how many things absorb and give things their own taste. If you've ever drank something pure like water from a steel glass it tastes pretty funky compared to drinking it out of a glass one.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Find a can of beer then drink that same type of beer from a bottle.

The can does taste all steel-y.

As much as I love my hipflask the problem with my is that the outside (don't get it on the the inside) is pewter and scratches easily when I chuck it in my pocket with other things.

Blake T on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I think sugary alcohols are generally discouraged from being carried in metal containers for long periods of time

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Apparently (after a bit of research today) pewter flasks lack lead which is what gives the drink a metallic taste. If unable to get a glass lined one you could try these. The downside is apparently they dent easier:

http://www.whiskymag.com/store/?REP_Retail_Section=17

Again, in the UK but I'm sure you could get them delivered to America.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    ZyrelaxZyrelax Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've seen them at Ikea and the chain Eastern Mountain Sports. A tobacconist or cigar store will likely have them. Nalgene also recently came out with a flask shaped container.

Zyrelax on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Apparently (after a bit of research today) pewter flasks lack lead which is what gives the drink a metallic taste. If unable to get a glass lined one you could try these. The downside is apparently they dent easier:

http://www.whiskymag.com/store/?REP_Retail_Section=17

Again, in the UK but I'm sure you could get them delivered to America.

Where exactly did you research? I'd be interested in reading up on it myself.

I wound up ordering one that's primarily plexiglass with steel accents online. I'm hoping there's not something about storing drinks in plexiglass that I'm not aware of.

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Blaket wrote: »
    Find a can of beer then drink that same type of beer from a bottle.

The can does taste all steel-y.

I've noticed that with sodas as well, though I assumed that was because there's far less fizzing from a can compared to a poured drink and thus less loss of carbonation. That's actually the flavor of the aluminum being picked up?

jothki on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2007
    Note: not an inflammatory or mocking post. Purely curious.

What's the point of a hip flask? Bringing your own booze to a bar or something? That's the only thing I can think of... other than that, I can't really see you just carrying booze around.

Organichu on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    There are plenty of situations where you would want to just carry booze around. Going to a party? Going camping?

I don't think it would work too well at a bar. They don't usually like you taking your own booze in.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    BathTubbBathTubb Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    speaking of flasks i got a metal one for being in my bros wedding what kind of booze i should avoid from getting the metal-y taste and possibly damaging the inside of the flask

BathTubb on
    Steam-BathTubb Xbox Live - Bathtubb
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Organichu wrote: »
    What's the point of a hip flask? Bringing your own booze to a bar or something? That's the only thing I can think of... other than that, I can't really see you just carrying booze around.

You aren't always in a position to go to a bar when you could use a little drink. Additionally the point is often to have a small sip, not to get hammered so a bar would be overkill.

Finally, they also double as a canteen and just look pretty and classy.

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    They're a sign of masculinity apparently. Personally I think they're pretty cool, it'd come in very handy for when I go to festivals etc.

As for where I researched, I just stuck in:

Glass lined pewter hip flask

in google and read up on a few forums etc :)

Mr_Grinch on