As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Overheated Graphics Card

NofrikinfuNNofrikinfuN Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I had a quick question about a Geforce4 MX440. Long ago, about a month after I bought the card, it overheated and began to display a kind of shimmer when displaying complex 3D. Basically, it looks like half the textures being rendered are simply coming up as green artifacts, causing the graphics to look messy and garbled. I can't see any physical damage on the card, but then, I doubt I would be able to see a small crack in a printed circuit board, nor would I be able to determine whether a solder joint "looks funny".

I was wondering if it was possible (Through software) to simply disable an offending pipeline and set things right again. Obviously, such a thing would cause a loss in performance, but I'm going to wager that a 64MB G4 MX440 with a handicap is still better than my 32 MB TNT2.

I know, I'm stuck in the 90's. I'm aware I could buy a 128mb FX 5200 for $20. I'm just hoping to do this without spending a dime. Any help is appreciated, however.

EDIT:Also, as a side note, buyer beware. Passive cooling with a heatsink is bullshit. Stick a fan on that mother.

NofrikinfuN on

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    A month after you bought it? Doesn't most hardware come with a fairly decent warranty? I'd give wherever you bought it from a call and let them know about it. Over heating after a month definitely isn't right, you've been sold a faulty product.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    NofrikinfuNNofrikinfuN Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This has been a while ago now. At the time, I just tossed it aside and swore off computers for a while. I probably should have tried to return it to Tigerdirect, but I think they only had a 30-day warranty and I decided it was too late. I'm not sure why I kept the thing after, to be honest.

NofrikinfuN on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    To my knowledge there's not a way to underpower your graphics card I'm afraid. Have a look on:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/support_aic.html

and specify what card type you have. It's very possible the company offer a year warranty so if you have the receipt (or paid on your bank card) you may be able to get something done about it. My girlfriend's parents recently got a replacement graphics card sent to them in the post after theirs developed a fault so it's worth giving it a shot. Might require a bit of effort but you shouldn't have to pay anything :)

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch