As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wii HiDef not working

KingMooKingMoo Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I have my wii plugged in to a 32" 720p hi-def TV with composit cables. Problem is I don;t see any difference when I change the wii settings. The resolution looks the same and it's still a at 4:3 ratio when I change it to 16:9. If I change the ratio on the TV it just stretches the 4:3 to fir the screen. Anyone know what step I might be missing?

![▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓]!
!!!!▓▓▓▓▓Gravy?▓▓▓▓▓!!!!!!
!!!!!!▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓!!!!!!!!!
of doom
KingMoo on

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Wait, composite? That sure ain't helping...

Also, the Wii doesn't do HD anything. Widescreen SD is as big as it gets.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You need component cables to be able to do 16:9 properly.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Correct. This is how my wii is set up and it's running HD widescreen. 480p is kinda hd.. i guess.. whatever - you'll notice the difference.

First google hit:
    http://www.mywii.com.au/GuideDetail.aspx?id=6

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • Arch Guru XXArch Guru XX Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    PirateJon wrote: »

Correct. This is how my wii is set up and it's running HD widescreen. 480p is kinda hd.. i guess.. whatever - you'll notice the difference.

First google hit:
    http://www.mywii.com.au/GuideDetail.aspx?id=6

If you are using composite cables this is defintiely the issue. You need the Wii component cables to do 16:9 with 480p. In some cases you may think it actually looks worse this way - for example, when using HD cables I've found that the lack of anti-aliasing in Resident Evil 4 is much more evident (still a great game though).

Arch Guru XX on
    Should have been a rock star.
  • KingMooKingMoo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Sorry, I am use ing COMPONENT cables (the ones with 5 little dongles on the end).

KingMoo on
    ![▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓]!
    of doom
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    you have to change both the resolution and widescreen settings on the Wii, changing only one will not make it the best.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    edited August 2007
    wunderbar wrote: »
    you have to change both the resolution and widescreen settings on the Wii, changing only one will not make it the best.

i have changed both and i see no difference at all. You would think that changing from 4:3 to 16:9 would atleast change the shape fo the display

is it possible that I have the cables plugged in to the wrong places?

KingMoo on
    ![▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓]!
    of doom
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    KingMoo wrote: »

i have changed both and i see no difference at all. You would think that changing from 4:3 to 16:9 would atleast change the shape fo the display

Possibly, but not likely. The only one you might get mixed up is the red, because there is both a red video cable and a red audio cable. However, they usually look different from each other, and you should be able to tell them apart. Otherwise, you just plug the correct colored cable into the correct colored outlet.

Are these the official Nintendo component cables, or are they a third party brand?

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
    edited August 2007
    Big Dookie wrote: »

Possibly, but not likely. The only one you might get mixed up is the red, because there is both a red video cable and a red audio cable. However, they usually look different from each other, and you should be able to tell them apart. Otherwise, you just plug the correct colored cable into the correct colored outlet.

Are these the official Nintendo component cables, or are they a third party brand?

3rd party

KingMoo on
    ![▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓]!
    of doom
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    I've got the third party ones too, but I had no trouble. Try connecting it using the composite cables that came with the Wii, check that the Wii is set to 480i, and set your TV to widescreen. Things will look stretched. Then swap the cables, check that the Wii is set to 480p and you'll see that the aspect ratio corrects itself and things are no longer stretched.

As for the display improving, most of the stuff out so far it makes no difference. In games you see more in widescreen, this is fairly evident in Super Paper Mario.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
    edited August 2007
    It's possible you may have bad cables, but again, not likely. Try what DrD said and see if that corrects the issue.

Keep in mind that the improvement isn't going to be as dramatic as 360 or PS3 high def. The highest video setting the Wii has is 480p, which technically isn't even high def. You will notice an improvement, but it won't be as big as some people expect it to be.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    actually i'm going to say the OP is doing it right, i think.

480p isn't even widescreen. I was under the impression it did widescreen by sending a 480p image (which is only 4:3) that was meant to be stretched (so it will look distorted without setting your tv to stretch it).

Serpent on
    edited August 2007
    Serpent wrote: »

480p isn't even widescreen. I was under the impression it did widescreen by sending a 480p image (which is only 4:3) that was meant to be stretched (so it will look distorted without setting your tv to stretch it).

hmmm... this contradicts what people are telling me. So if I set the Wii to 16:9 and set the TV to standard it will still show at 4:3? What's the point of the wii having a 16:9 setting if you end up stretching it to 16:9 via the TV anyway?

KingMoo on
    ![▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓]!
    of doom
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2007

hmmm... this contradicts what people are telling me. So if I set the Wii to 16:9 and set the TV to standard it will still show at 4:3? What's the point of the wii having a 16:9 setting if you end up stretching it to 16:9 via the TV anyway?

If you set the Wii to 16:9, you have to set the TV to 16:9. If the Wii is 16:9 and the TV is 14:3, the Wii's image will be squished

Garlic Bread on
    edited August 2007
    also if the wii is 4:3 and the TV is 16:9 it will be squished

Pheezer on
    edited August 2007
    Note that 480p has nothing to do with the aspect ratio. The two are completely different things. You can have a 480p picture that is in a 4:3 aspect ratio, and you can have a 480i picture that is in a 16:9 aspect ratio. I believe there are even two different settings for resolution and aspect ratio in the Wii settings, but I may be wrong on that.

Basically, if you have don't have your cables hooked up correctly, it won't even give you the option of selecting 480p - so if you were able to select 480p, it's probably displaying in 480p. Then you can set the aspect ratio to 16:9. You have to make sure that your TV settings are in widescreen mode as well or you'll get a strange picture.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    edited August 2007
    That's right, too. You can only choose 480p if you have the right cables.

The only place I've seen a really big difference was in the Wii menu and I guess Wii Sports a small bit. The Wii interface looks a lot sharper with the component cables.

Pheezer on
  • SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

more screen space. Like i said, it sends an image which is meant to be stretched -- it will look really funny if you don't.

The n64 could do this with a few games. Goldenye, for one.

Serpent on
  • Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Also, not all games support Widescreen. Trauma Center, for example, doesn't support it; while Super Paper Mario does.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • CaswynbenCaswynben Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    480p widescreen and 480p 4:3 are at completely different resolutions, so you should be able to tell the difference. It might be something with your TV, "Normal" mode might stretch it to be 4:3, so maybe switch to a "stretched" mode. There are a lot of games where you can tell if it is outputting in widescreen pretty easily, like Mario Part 8 (Which letter boxes with graphics on the sides)

Caswynben on
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    480i/p and using anything lower than component are actually all the same resolution... at least by signal.

now i think what you meant to say is that they can differ in aspect according to what you've set and source material.

all of those however will be in a 720x480 signal which is 3:2. setting the unit to "standard" will send that signal and make it so it is stretched out the sides, as it expected it to be compressed back to some degree when displayed on a narrower (4:3) display.

if you set to widescreen, it's the same 3:2 / 720x480 signal being sent, but now it is stretched up and down, so that when displayed on a 16:9 (wider) display, it will appear correct.

thus you have to make sure the source unit is set to match your tv type (standard or widescreen)

AND you have to turn off any scaling on your tv/display. That is, if the source material is wide, set the tv to wide or 1:1 or whatever. No zoom, or any of that stuff.

Deusfaux on