As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

TV Tuner Programs

manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey everyone, I happen to have a TV tuner card on my computer. I know how to use it just fine and I was mostly just wondering if there are any good free programs out there that can use it for watching TV or Media devices hooked up to it. Also if it can show in wide screen that would be great because I want to take every advantage of my wide screen monitor.

I already have a program that came with my computer called Giga Pocket which works fine, but the picture quality is not very good. I've tried using VLC player but it has some weird Lag thing going on.

So if anyone could give me some suggestions on what good programs are out there it would be greatly appreciated

XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
manaleak34 on

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    manaleak34 wrote: »
    Hey everyone, I happen to have a TV tuner card on my computer. I know how to use it just fine and I was mostly just wondering if there are any good free programs out there that can use it for watching TV or Media devices hooked up to it. Also if it can show in wide screen that would be great because I want to take every advantage of my wide screen monitor.

I already have a program that came with my computer called Giga Pocket which works fine, but the picture quality is not very good. I've tried using VLC player but it has some weird Lag thing going on.

So if anyone could give me some suggestions on what good programs are out there it would be greatly appreciated

Well, I'd check into SageTV.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've heard Sage is pretty good as well. I paid the $30 or $40 for BeyondTV because it handles Canadian TV listings automatically and I'm quite happy with it.

As for displaying widescreen, as far as I know (and it's been a few years since I looked into it) the only option was HD tuner cards that let you record at ratios other than 4:3. Your playback software generally won't care about the aspect ratio and will play back whatever with bars added as necessary.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.