As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sound off Youtube

Left Wing jAyLeft Wing jAy Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I really want to get the sound off a particular YouTube video. My phone's the only thing I have that will record sound, and I doubt the quality would be good, nor could I get over 5 minutes worth. I'd like it as an Mp3 or something eventually.

Any other way to do this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YKE7MK7KVc

It's that if anyone's interested.

Left Wing jAy on

• Options
    TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    use one of those websites that lets you download youtube videos, and then get a program that can split the audio and video.

Thats the way I did it. It was a while back so I can't remember the exact site and program I ended up using.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    edited August 2007
    Ok, I have what is apparently an 'flv' file, video plays in VLC player. Anyone have suggestions on how to split the audio?

Left Wing jAy on
  • Options
    Vrtra TheoryVrtra Theory Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    To do this, you'll probably end up having three to four steps:

1. Get the .FLV (flash video, the format YouTube uses) onto your computer.

2. Convert the .FLV into something more useful, like AVI / MPEG.

3. Use a tool to remove and save the audio. For example, virtualdub (freeware and fairly common video processing tool) can save the the audio stream from an AVI/MPEG in .WAV format. Note that virtualdub, along with most video processing tools, can't open FLV (which is why you need step #2).

4. If you used virtualdub, you'll have to use another tool to convert the .WAV into a .MP3.

There are several online sites that offer #1, #2, or some combination where you enter a URL and it converts and saves the resulting AVI. You could start off by trying one of them.

Vrtra Theory on
    Are you a Software Engineer living in Seattle? HBO is hiring, message me.
  • Options
    DictatorDictator Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Once you have the .FLV just send it through SUPER (It's free, versatile and ridiculously easy to use) and convert to MP3 (It will automatically strip the video).

Dictator on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    About to try that 'Super'. Currently up to the stage of having a WAV file, but couldn't find a free converter.

Thanks for everything so far.

Left Wing jAy on