As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mystery wire

marty_0001marty_0001 I am a fileand you put documents in meRegistered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
What is this strange wire, sticking out of my bedroom wall? I suspect it's for a telephone. But as you can see there's no socket. Why would tenants past have taken away a socket, if there ever was one? Or why would the builders have left this dodgy 2 metre coil of cable just sitting in a corner with nothing on the end?

Anyway just wanted to check, before I ring an electrician to put something on the end of it, whatever should go there. I'm in Australia if that's relevant.

Thanks

Wire.jpg

marty_0001 on

• Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I think the colors in the pic are off but is that Red, Green, Yellow, and Black? It's telephone. As to the previous tenant's intentions your guess is as good as mine. And you don't need to call an electrician, it's low voltage. Just go to your radio shack equivalent and buy a wall jack.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    lol sorry the peak of my phone's camera capabilities. It's red, white, blue and black.

Alright! DIY electrical fun!

marty_0001 on
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    marty_0001 wrote: »
    lol sorry the peak of my phone's camera capabilities. It's red, white, blue and black.

Alright! DIY electrical fun!

That's different than what we use here in the US but when it comes to phone wires it's all about just matching colors up. You'll be fine.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    Usually you find stuff like that because the previous owner/whoever was trying to make improvements and ran out of time before they had to leave the house.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    CycophantCycophant Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It's really hard to get a sense of scale with that photo. If the wire bundle itself is small (only a 1/4 inch or so in diameter), it's likely telephone.

But if it's much bigger than that, be forewarned that it could be an electricity line. Granted, with there being 4 wires, and none of them bare copper (a ground), it's unlikely. But I've seen stranger things. So if it's a larger-gauge cable, be forewarned.

Cycophant on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Definitely a telephone cable. Looks like alarm grade wiring, probably went to an interface at one time. When the prev guys moved, they took their security system with them or had it uninstalled.

You should still be able to use it as a phone cable if you wanted too - just buy a surface jack and pin down the red and green. You can also lick your fingers and touch bare copper on r/g or b/y. Or just tap them and see if you get a small spark. It's only 40 volts, and it will tell you if the cable is live. Whatever you do, don't leave them touching.

Oh n/m. I just saw your bit on the actual colors. Ya, that's different than what we use.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    darkgruedarkgrue Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I think the colors in the pic are off but is that Red, Green, Yellow, and Black? It's telephone. As to the previous tenant's intentions your guess is as good as mine. And you don't need to call an electrician, it's low voltage. Just go to your radio shack equivalent and buy a wall jack.

The telephone ringing voltage is something on the order of 90 VAC supimposed on a DC supervisory voltage (apparently it varies quite a bit in voltage and frequency depending on where you are).

It's enough to throw you across the room if you're holding the wires when the phone rings, and could possibly kill under some circumstances.

Phones aren't OMG dangerous as line voltage, but it's not trivial either.

When working on your phones, it's best to disconnect the house wiring by disconnecting it at the telephone network interface, there's usually a set of little attached patch cables or a disconnect menchanism on the customer side of the interface that you can unplug for exactly this purpose (example).

darkgrue on