Options

Marvel Universe Online

AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in MMO Extravaganza
Comic-Con had a panel with the developers of Marvel Universe Online, you can find videos of it on YouTube right now. They are horribly chopped up so, hopefully, more information will come out since I know some of the questions and answers are not included. I'll type up a little bullet point of the stuff I find interesting from it.
    No release date or price yet.
  • They can use all of Marvel, working on Canadian Wilderness right now.
  • Will be going everywhere in the Marvel Universe as a character in it.
  • Game will react to current events in Marvel comics.
  • Mostly 616 but some more recent events have made them change it up a bit for people who don't constantly follow the comics (Kingpin's current state was mentioned). Sounds like they'll be repeating some of the more recent stories to bring players who don't always read Marvel up to date.
  • The Team is going through Marvel's history, creating a datebase that covers everything official Marvel Encyclopedias do not. Team members are reading ever single series and taking notes for easter eggs, names, places, missions, etc.
  • No item, resource, character will be in the game that has not been in Marvel comics.
  • There will be contests revolving around the tougher easter eggs.
  • Statesman has been reading every single FF comic for his part.
  • Trying to make the world feel like it isn't as crowded with Heroes as CoH.
  • Will be constantly interacting with Marvel characters (guiding you thought the city, fighting beside you mentioned) and "who knows, you may even be playing as them."
  • Powers - Major focus moment to moment gaming. Action MMORPG "probably like nothing seen before. Nothing like this has been tried before. The level of interaction is far closer to a console game than an MMO."
  • Aware of how "unpleasant" it would be to see Wolverine157.
  • Cryptic included in Marvel writer's retreat so they know what to expect in the future.
  • Playing previous events, like the original Secret Wars, is on the whiteboard but doesn't sound like they are at the top of the list.
  • Not looking at this as a sequel to CoX.
  • "Not clicking and praying" combat.
  • Neither confirm nor deny PvP but knows it is expected.
  • Playing around with textpad for 360 but it won't be required, they know not everyone will have one.

Accualt on

• Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    wolverine pops up everywhere at once in the marvel universe. how would it be odd to have a bunch of him in the game as well?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm really excited to see how the powers work out. I'd love to see the sort of depth and complexity you get with a MMO, yet the sort of skill-based and action-oriented use you get with a console brawler.

I'm also hoping for lots of powers. LOTS of powers, and absolutely enormous levels of customization of those powers.

I've got this idea in mind sort of like Oblivion's custom spell system, where you take a basic spell, and can modify its parameters, so increasing, say, duration, would boost power cost or recast time.

Not all that crazy about playing as Marvel characters, though. Sounds like it's either a cheap gimmick or something very un-MMO-like.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Lots of powers would be nice. As far as customization just give me 10 colors to choose from and I'd be happy, toss in different animations to choose and I'll be overjoyed.

I imagine playing as Marvel characters will work like EQ's monster battles or LOTRs strange version of PvP. Either of those I'm all for. It would be awesome to get 12 of us together to do the X-Men vs. Brotherhood in a flashback match up, or something.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Accualt wrote: »
    Lots of powers would be nice. As far as customization just give me 10 colors to choose from and I'd be happy, toss in different animations to choose and I'll be overjoyed.

I imagine playing as Marvel characters will work like EQ's monster battles or LOTRs strange version of PvP. Either of those I'm all for. It would be awesome to get 12 of us together to do the X-Men vs. Brotherhood in a flashback match up, or something.

I'm seriously hoping that Cryptic scales up their art department by an order of magnitude for this game, and has more of an artistic style.

I'd love to see completely custom powers, sort of like what you get with Freedom Force. Pick an animation, pick an effect, pick a target type, etc. I know that's wishing for a lot, but I agree that a lot of the powers need graphical options, if not just colors for energy blasts, maybe different textures for, say, earth; some magma, some like granite, some like obsidian, etc.

I've really got high hopes for MUO.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I imagine their budget is a hell of a lot better than with CoX. I mean not only do they have a successful MMO under the belts now but they also have the Marvel name brand for extra backing and Microsoft for the publisher.

Accualt on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I imagine their budget is a hell of a lot better than with CoX. I mean not only do they have a successful MMO under the belts now but they also have the Marvel name brand for extra backing and Microsoft for the publisher.

Microsoft published Asheron's Call and Asheron's Call 2.

Don't expect a lot of support from them.

Seg on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If I had to choose Asheron Call or Marvel Online I know who I'd put the bulk of my energy behind: Marvel Online.

I agree with s3rial one, the idea of playing an exsisting Marvel Hero doesn't appeal to me. I don't wanna be flying through New York and see some 13 year old making Spider-Man tea bag a bank robber or something equally fucking stupid.

Just give me a mutant with TK (and thus flight) and I'll be happy. In my pants.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It'd be interesting to see a character truely have progressive powers. Take telekinesis.

Maybe the two attributes inside that power would be power, focus and stamina. Power would be raw strength, focus would be the finer control of the power and stamina would reflect the ability to sustain prolonged use of the power.

From there you could branch off so that various telekinesis-based powers could be unlocked depending on how much of each of those three stats you could have. Using a level 1-10 scale, you could say that levitation would need a power rating of 4 (not that huge effort to levitate yourself), focus would need 3 and stamina would determine how long or how efficient your levitation is.

Once you unlock it, you can start working specifically on the focus/power/stamina attributes of that ability. These would have a small effect on your overall focus/power/stamina, but not be a direct raise. For example raising your focus for levitation would mean you could after practice actually be able to fly rather than just hover, and more power would mean faster flight and the ability to hold greater weights while flying. This would mean that you'd be better at levitating objects from afar, but because you haven't directly been practicing levitating stuff from afar, you wouldn't see a direct 1:1 ability increase.

With a power like telekinesis you could affect strength, speed, flight, missile blasts, personal shields, etc.

You could have another tree like physical paragon, which could increase strength, speed, martial arts ability, invulnerability, etc. A lot of the various powers, taken to extremes, could have crossover powers, but there's the possibility of making certain abilities cost more/less depending on the tree. Like telekinetic shields would save you from physical harm from punches, but it might be harder to get in the telekinesis tree than it would be to just build up invulnerability in the physical perfection tree.

And of course you could shutdown multiclassing by sheer virtue of requiring really raw powers to need maximum investment just like the WoW talent trees.

Edit: Damn I rambled a bit. Sorry, hope someone finds it interesting, though.

devoir on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Acc, you mentioned the text pad. Is this going to be for PC or Xbox?

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    devoir on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    AHHHH GODDAMMIT
    Memo to self: When mom buys my new comp for college next summer, get one that I can play games on.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    devoir wrote: »
    I'm really torn about that.

I don't really want a 360. There isn't enough of a library of games I think I'd find interesting.

On the other hand, fuck Vista.

It's a tough call.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Make your call in 2008. The 360 will have far more games, Vista will be in a better state and you'll just generally be in a better position to choose if you want one, the other or neither.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Gonna have to go with Vista on that one, because I can get myself a free laptop. Not so with a 360.
    God this is going to fuck up college. "What do you want to do, man?" "Save NY with Spider-Man, motherfucker."

Me Too! on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    God, I hate exclusivity. You might as well just add on the price of Vista to the price of MUO for me, cause there's no other reason for me to get it.

Edit: And damn, this means I'm not even going to have a shot at getting in the beta.

Scooter on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So, does Cryptic/Marvel actually have a solid plan on how they're going about this yet? Because while that Comic-con panel does seem mighty disjointed, this whole thing reeks of Cryptic's old "stumble on ahead blindly and hope that whatever we come up with works" strategy.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    vista is just a marketing ploy to sell more 360s

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Vista isn't that bad. The only reason it really sucked at all was the lack of support but I've solved that issue by not being an early adopter. :P
    I have a feeling running MUO on a laptop, unless it is an amazing laptop, will be a terrible experience. The graphic cars in laptops are just terrible.
    I have a 360 right now and love it, my favorite system of all time...considering the amazing Holiday lineup it even beats the SNES. I am all kinds of pumped about MUO being on it because that means voice support. :^: As for the textpad thing it is important to note that Statesman said it would not be required for MUO.

Accualt on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If I had to choose Asheron Call or Marvel Online I know who I'd put the bulk of my energy behind: Marvel Online.

i don't think that was his point. ac2 was pushed out atleast 6 months early by microsoft so it could claim the 'first second generation mmo' title and in turn killed any chances of the game being good.

such a shame too, the classes in ac2 are still my favorite of any mmo.

Angry on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    korodullin wrote: »
    So, does Cryptic/Marvel actually have a solid plan on how they're going about this yet? Because while that Comic-con panel does seem mighty disjointed, this whole thing reeks of Cryptic's old "stumble on ahead blindly and hope that whatever we come up with works" strategy.

Honestly, its way too early to tell. We don't know a damn thing about how the game will work really.

What scares me about MUO is that Geko, the dev who was in charge of powers for CoX is working on MUO. He and the other people working on powers did such a shitty job on balancing CoH out of the box that we had to have two major game altering rebalancings and constant other tweaks in the first two years of the game.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Corvus wrote: »

Honestly, its way too early to tell. We don't know a damn thing about how the game will work really.

What scares me about MUO is that Geko, the dev who was in charge of powers for CoX is working on MUO. He and the other people working on powers did such a shitty job on balancing CoH out of the box that we had to have two major game altering rebalancings and constant other tweaks in the first two years of the game.

uh, that could be said for pretty much every mmo released.

Angry on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Angry wrote: »

Possibly, but CoX is the only one I've played. If true, its just a sign that the industry sets a pretty low bar for compentence among the people designing skills and powers.

Corvus on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Angry wrote: »

Well if I'm not mistaken, Statesman himself (or was it Positron? I can't remember) admitted that Cryptic was operating CoH without much of anything in the way of design goals for a very long time (at least a year or more, including post-launch).

I mean sure, Cryptic was (and still is, in some ways) pretty new to the game, but they've done some pretty baffling things.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I mean sure, Cryptic was (and still is, in some ways) pretty new to the game, but they've done some pretty baffling things.
    I'm more or less of the same mind. I think that City of Heroes is a fun game in spite of Cryptic, not because of them.

The company seems to have been financially mismanaged rather badly, as evidenced by the skeleton crew they've had working on the game; fine for a nobody company at launch, but many MMOs have done more with less.

Then there seems to be the most fundamental misunderstanding of their fans and their own game: people want to make alts. What does CoH do, then? It punishes you for making an alt by making the first 20 levels of the game be some boring, slow-paced, snore-inducing pre-requisite hell and offering no way to skip it. Then they stretch out the 40-50 game as much as possible, and lay down a series of patches that punish most solo classes and street sweepers (because, apparently all of those guys out in those giant cities they designed are only there to take pot-shots at you in between missions, not to be hunted), overall reduced the leveling rate of the game, and compensated by, basically, taking about 25 or 30 levels of content and stretching it into 50. The net result being a damper on alts; it takes 20 levels just to settle into your AT.

...and then you've got Statesman's ego.

Ugh. Cryptic makes me apprehensive. Really apprehensive. They've done some cool things, it's true. But they've also done some inexplicably bone-headed things, too; probably moreso than normal for a MMO developer.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    What is this about Statesman's ego? I've never really heard complaints about devs before.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Never forget that Jack Emmert got his job with Cryptic without any video game experience, and probably in large part because he was a grad school friend of the original lead designer.

Oh hey, this is interesting. Looks like they're bringing in some more experienced folks to give some advice.

Corvus on
  • Options
    guruslothgurusloth Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I just got my 360, and frankly most of my gaming is done on consoles, so I'm absolutely ready for the whatever demos or betas for this game.

I was thinking, what if they meant by letting you play as existing Marvel heroes, what if they allowed certain players to earn the ability to act as a particular character in your server for a limited amount of time, via in-game missions or even randomly selecting certain folks.

gurusloth on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    s3rial one wrote: »
    I'm more or less of the same mind. I think that City of Heroes is a fun game in spite of Cryptic, not because of them.

The company seems to have been financially mismanaged rather badly, as evidenced by the skeleton crew they've had working on the game; fine for a nobody company at launch, but many MMOs have done more with less.

Then there seems to be the most fundamental misunderstanding of their fans and their own game: people want to make alts. What does CoH do, then? It punishes you for making an alt by making the first 20 levels of the game be some boring, slow-paced, snore-inducing pre-requisite hell and offering no way to skip it. Then they stretch out the 40-50 game as much as possible, and lay down a series of patches that punish most solo classes and street sweepers (because, apparently all of those guys out in those giant cities they designed are only there to take pot-shots at you in between missions, not to be hunted), overall reduced the leveling rate of the game, and compensated by, basically, taking about 25 or 30 levels of content and stretching it into 50. The net result being a damper on alts; it takes 20 levels just to settle into your AT.

...and then you've got Statesman's ego.

Ugh. Cryptic makes me apprehensive. Really apprehensive. They've done some cool things, it's true. But they've also done some inexplicably bone-headed things, too; probably moreso than normal for a MMO developer.

Stop being stupid.
    God damn.

"I think that City of Heroes is a fun game in spite of Cryptic, not because of them." WTF? There wouldn't even be a fun game for you to bitch about if Cryptic didn't make it. Because of them THERE IS A GAME.

Money, who knows, I don't get to see their financial records or what they are paying people.

It doesn't, jesus, it doesn't punish you for making alts. It follows the same formula as all RPGs where you start off weaker and gradually grow stronger the more you play. Hell with Vet Rewards they almost reward you for making alts, the two attack powers are godsends early on but not as useful at higher levels. If you could skip the first 20 levels for having a lvl 50, like DAoC did, suddenly the game sucks for newcomers. They keep adding new content for the low levels, so you have new things to do early on, instead of just jacking the lvl cap up like most MMOs.
    I'm not sure how they hurt solo classes, they've buffed Blasters and Scrappers multiple times since launch. ED didn't hurt soloers much, hell it was a buff for my Scrapper since they nerfed mobs around the same time and I had far more slots to play with. Now they did make it harder for a /Regen Scrapper to get an 8 man team, set the mission difficulty to max, then boot everyone from the team and go solo it so they could have some semblance of a challenge.
    They didn't punish street sweepers, nothing changed for them, instead they buffed Mission bonus EXP and slashed the amount of debt you can get in missions in an effort to get people to run missions (the interesting, non-grind feeling content).
    The 40-50 game has an okay pace, I think. The 35-40 is too damn slow, though.
    The leveling rate of the game has been increased through multiple dept cap reductions, reduction in debt per death, mission bonus EXP increase, a separate group mission bonus EXP increase, a global EXP increase to Lts/Bosses/AVs, an EXP bonus to "difficult factions" (DE, Rikti, Carnies, Malta, Vahz...this might have been nullified with an increase to all groups in the end, I can't remember).
    Seriously, though, if you are going to talk shit at least know what you are talking about.

They aren't perfect, and they did some really stupid stuff early on, but they've learned from all of that. And ED was good for the long term health of the game.

EDIT: I know you aren't stupid, your statement just ticked me off.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Just for perspective, isn't s3rial the one who said CoH would be better if it'd been made by the SWG guys >.>

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    gurusloth wrote: »
    I just got my 360, and frankly most of my gaming is done on consoles, so I'm absolutely ready for the whatever demos or betas for this game.

I was thinking, what if they meant by letting you play as existing Marvel heroes, what if they allowed certain players to earn the ability to act as a particular character in your server for a limited amount of time, via in-game missions or even randomly selecting certain folks.

The problem with that, though, is just like Caveman pointed out above: randomly choosing players to play a major character results in Wolverine calling Cap a "SUPIT FAGGIT NUB" after Cap rushes into a group and dies because he didn't have his shield toggle turned on, and Doctor Doom's villainy consisting of spamming the general channel with "=O <===8" and tea-bagging his own minions.

I think Planetside is an even better example of showing how badly this works out. In Planetside, there are two kinds of experience. One is basically combat experience; you get it for killing enemies, capturing bases, blowing up vehicles, etc. It gives you access to new equipment and vehicle certs. But then there's leadership experience, which you get, primarily, from capturing bases while you're the leader of a squad. The problem is that leadership abilities gives you access to things like, oh, orbital strikes. Now, the strikes were intended to be rather uncommon, and used by field commanders to help soften up objectives. For instance, dropping an orbital strike on a base will either kill the defenders outside the base, or force them to take cover inside. Another reward was access to the command global char channels, which commanders were supposed to use to organize battles. The problem was that you didn't need to be a "leader" to get these powers, just the first in a group to invite people. So what you wound up with, over time, was a bunch of standard issue internet assholes with orbital strikes galore. Actual, decent commanders were chased out of the command channel by asshole kiddies who'd make it impossible to get any sort of organized assault going, and the game was absolutely replete with these little fuckers in stealth suits that would call down an orbital strike at a whim, and there were so many of them, it was practically unavoidable.
    Scooter wrote: »
    Just for perspective, isn't s3rial the one who said CoH would be better if it'd been made by the SWG guys >.>
    I've never actually played SWG, so, no.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Money, who knows, I don't get to see their financial records or what they are paying people.
    My guess is that if Cryptic was paying people well above industry standard, there'd be a reason for it; some sort of outstanding artists or particularly creative and productive programmers, or something to that effect.
    It doesn't, jesus, it doesn't punish you for making alts. It follows the same formula as all RPGs where you start off weaker and gradually grow stronger the more you play.
    Most games have some method of fast-tracking that, though. Much more powerful equipment for twinks, for example (with enhancements being level-restricted and so easily accessible, this isn't possible in CoH until your alt is like level 47+ and you transfer over millions from your main to load out on IO sets). Furthermore, it's not so much that CoH is anti-alt, it's that there simply is not another MMO out there that makes people want to create alts like they do in CoH, and Cryptic has absolutely failed to embrace that.
    I'm not sure how they hurt solo classes, they've buffed Blasters and Scrappers multiple times since launch.
    Give me a break. The blaster "buffs" were the equivalent of stabbing someone in a face and then handing him a band-aid. Blasters were great soloists early on in the game. Then, Cryptic went and added ranged attacks to virtually everything, thus negating the closest approximation of defense that blasters had. Effective soloability was put in the trash for blasters that day.

Yes, yes, I know, anyone can solo on heroic, but that's not the point. That's not fun. If I play a fire blaster, it's because I want to blow up lots of shit at once. Now, I need a full team just to get lots of guys to blow up.

They've added aggro caps, target caps, made the diminishing returns on experience even more severe than they initially were... so there was a debt reduction in missions? Whoopdy do. That only rewards your if you're fucking up. Likewise, your average mission reward at unyielding is roughly equivalent to 10 white con minion kills. Considering travel time, it's an absolute joke. Especially for the non-radio missions that perpetually send you running to different zones.
    They didn't punish street sweepers, nothing changed for them, instead they buffed Mission bonus EXP and slashed the amount of debt you can get in missions in an effort to get people to run missions (the interesting, non-grind feeling content).
    I have no idea what you're talking about, but the grind feeling for me sets in when you're doing any one thing for too long, whether it's street sweeping or running missions. What they've done is, comparitively, invalidated street sweeping. And with the adjustments to villain accuracy and experience rewards (back around, what was it, I3? I4?), combined with the way their spawn system works, you have to work much harder for much less reward.
    The 40-50 game has an okay pace, I think. The 35-40 is too damn slow, though.
    The leveling rate of the game has been increased through multiple dept cap reductions, reduction in debt per death, mission bonus EXP increase, a separate group mission bonus EXP increase, a global EXP increase to Lts/Bosses/AVs, an EXP bonus to "difficult factions" (DE, Rikti, Carnies, Malta, Vahz...this might have been nullified with an increase to all groups in the end, I can't remember).
    This is exactly what I'm talking about with Cryptic, though:

They absolutely nerf the shit out of leveling speed from I1, and then all anyone seems to remember are the comparatively tiny adjustments upwards that they've made more recently. Cryptic is wildly over-reactionary (just look at what was done to Hasten, for example... they claimed it was working as intended for months, then nerfed it to the point of being absolutely broken and useless, and then finally changed it to what it currently is, and everyone calls it a buff).
    They aren't perfect, and they did some really stupid stuff early on, but they've learned from all of that. And ED was good for the long term health of the game.
    Not sure I buy that. All ED did was change the default slotting schemes. I agree that it'd be nice to have more diversity, but in promoting diversity, it failed miserably.

I agree that Cryptic has gotten better of late, but I'm still not at the point where I can not be a little worried that they're going to shit all over MUO.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So, how about that Marvel game? I hear it has... uh, Marvel stuff...

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Raise of hands if you actually read Marvel comics

:^:

So, who else thinks that The Initiative is gonna be the setup for the MMO? Now, I'm not going to go so far as to say they set up this whole concept just for a game, but if you want to set things up CoX style, what better way than to have a training program where B-list heroes train newbies on how to use their powers?

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

So, who else thinks that The Initiative is gonna be the setup for the MMO? Now, I'm not going to go so far as to say they set up this whole concept just for a game, but if you want to set things up CoX style, what better way than to have a training program where B-list heroes train newbies on how to use their powers?
    Care to explain The Initiative to those of us who are, oh, about a decade behind the times? :P

Also, another hope for MUO...

One thing that always bugged me about CoH is that even though the battles are more fluid than other MMOs, they still feel very static and constrained. You know, mobs just standing around, waiting to attack, not moving much. I've got my fingers crossed for something more fluid in MUO; I want some fast-paced areal battles, and more big fights, where it's you (and your team) against a hundred guys at once. I'd like to see more guys moving around and doing things.

I'm almost positive that the archetype system is going to die a much-needed death for MUO, which I think will help a lot; no more tankers and controllers and blasters - we'll have a more free-form mix of powers on our characters, and the battles will, hopefully, be more like the comic books, where team support is more about a well-timed telekinetic forcefield than some buff you use on all your teammates every 4 minutes.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Ahem.
    The Initiative is basically a huge superhero registration program, stared by Tony Stark, aka Iron Man, in the wake of the Stamford Incident, where a school was blown up during a fight, killing a shitload of people, kids included. Needless to say, not everyone agreed with this, and the heroes split into two sides (for the most part): Cap's side, which was "freedom of the people, down with registration," and Tony's side, which was pro-registration. For a time, Tony's side included Spidey, who unmasked himself on national, live TV, but he later regretted it and joined the resistance. The registration act was passed, and now a lot of heroes are technically criminals, because they aren't registered with the government. This includes Spidey, Moon Knight, and Punisher.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

I like it! No but seriously if for the first 10 levels you were an Initiative newbie I would have no problems.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Wiggin wrote: »
    Ahem.
    The Initiative is basically a huge superhero registration program, stared by Tony Stark, aka Iron Man, in the wake of the Stamford Incident, where a school was blown up during a fight, killing a shitload of people, kids included. Needless to say, not everyone agreed with this, and the heroes split into two sides (for the most part): Cap's side, which was "freedom of the people, down with registration," and Tony's side, which was pro-registration. For a time, Tony's side included Spidey, who unmasked himself on national, live TV, but he later regretted it and joined the resistance. The registration act was passed, and now a lot of heroes are technically criminals, because they aren't registered with the government. This includes Spidey, Moon Knight, and Punisher.

The Initiative itself has two parts. First, the 50 State Initiative; which puts a superhero team of about a dozen members into every American state. In some cases this means pulling out old D-listers or reforming villains, while California for example gives superpowers to atheletes and celebrities (the powers are designed and last for one year before needing to be removed for health reasons, or earlier if you mess up).

The main Initiative is a training program for teenagers with powers, like the Xavier school except run by the military and no mutants. If you want to use your powers, you have to go through Initiative training. If you refuse or wash out, your powers will be permenantly removed.

And even if all you want to do is fly around, they'll still hand you a rifle and make you go shoot supervillains.

Scooter on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

:(

I hope if this is the case, not too much of Civil war's plot is spoiled. I mean, I already know some of it
    Clor likes to kill people
    , but I do plan on getting a TPB of it some day.

I haven't really read comics, except for a few trades(Supreme Power and Planet Hulk) since, um, the Phalanx and Wolvy losing his manhood.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Septus wrote: »
    and Wolvy losing his manhood.

Yeahbuhwhat?

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Forar wrote: »
    Septus wrote: »
    and Wolvy losing his manhood.

Yeahbuhwhat?

His metal.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1