As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Question on Soliciting a Writer/Artist Team-Up

BanjokerBanjoker Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
How does one do it? Specifically, how does one do it here? I've got the writer part covered, but I can't draw for shit, and so I'm looking to find an artist with whom I could collaborate on a comic book title I've conceived. As I understand it from the Rules thread, it's in bad form to simply ask in the Artist forum. I'm also not soliciting free art any more than I'm giving away free writing. I'm simply looking for someone who wants to break into the industry same as me and would like to do it by drawing what could be a really awesome book. Two people who want the same thing, working towards the same goal. So how do I find an artist, aside from e-mailing every person who's posted a piece of artwork on the Artist forum individually (which I would also gather might be pretty annoying)?

- Dave
- "Chance favors the well-prepared mind."
Banjoker on

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Well, if you expect to be the one doing the writing, choosing the direction, etc., then you're not looking to "team up" with an artist; you're looking to hire an artist.

Thanatos on
  • SavedSaved Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Do you have any published work available? Having some samples available might be good for convincing potential partners to work with you.

Also I don't think the AC people would mind if you posted it in the questions thread or their chat thread, either.

Saved on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Saved wrote: »
    Do you have any published work available? Having some samples available might be good for convincing potential partners to work with you.

Also I don't think the AC people would mind if you posted it in the questions thread or their chat thread, either.
    They most certainly would.

From the AC rules thread:
    10 ) Do Not Ask for Art in a New Thread
    Do not start new threads to ask for free art, tattoo designs, Websites, etc. If you wish to commission paid work, ask in the CHAT or Questions/Discussion thread.

Thanatos on
  • BanjokerBanjoker Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    See, that's just it: as far as I've determined, the most recommended course for getting into the comic industry is to team up and literally just create a new title. Well, I have the title and the story direction, obviously. But with comics, it's collaboration because, while the writer may be the one guiding the story, the artist is creating the imagery. I can see where you're coming from, Thanatos, in questioning if the artist gets input into where the story is going. Well, even with published artists, that's not generally how it works. But I'm not looking to hire an artist, because I would hope that, if we were able to work together well enough, we would continue to work together once we had attracted some attention from a publisher.

Banjoker on
    - Dave
    - "Chance favors the well-prepared mind."
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »

Do not start new threads to ask for free art, tattoo designs, Websites, etc. If you wish to commission paid work, ask in the CHAT or Questions/Discussion thread.

I think that rule is only against starting new threads to ask for art. In fact it says to ask in the chat or questions thread right there.

KalTorak on
  • unilateralunilateral Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »

I think that rule is only against starting new threads to ask for art. In fact it says to ask in the chat or questions thread right there.

He was referring to the "paid" part I think.

unilateral on
  • SavedSaved Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, although I guess asking for an artist as a partner is a little different than asking for a comission. You should try PMing Grifter or DMAC and ask them if it's alright.

Saved on