As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New California Resident

FFFF Once Upon a TimeIn OaklandRegistered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So, the deal is, my friend recently moved here about 4 months ago. She's living with me at my Oakland address, has her mail from her old house (in MO) forwarded to the address here (using the official USPS form/way you have it done). She's planning on having her drivers liscense switched over, from a Missouri liscense to a CA one. That should take care of her requirement to become an actual California resident...or should it?

I honestly don't know, having been born and raised in CA. I'm working my way through www.ca.gov, but as with a lot of government websites, they dont' seem to have anything succinct and too the point.

There have to be at least a few PAers who have moved to California from out of state, what did you have to do to establish your residency?

Huh...
FF on

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    FF wrote: »
    That should take care of her requirement to become an actual California resident...or should it?

For what purpose? Work? School?
    It depends entirely on what she's establishing residency for.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Oh.

Well, primairly she'll need it for work, though school may be something she'd like to do later. I do know that for most of the community colleges around here you need to show proof of being a resident for two years, before they stop charging you the non-resident tuition.

We're also looking at smaller things like, fishing liscenses.

FF on
    Huh...
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Oh.

Well, primairly she'll need it for work

Typically all she'll need is a local address where she resides for the majority of the year and receives her mail. As long as she doesn't vote in another state or pay taxes as a resident in another state she'll be okay. Most workplaces aren't going to care, though. As long as she gets her mail locally and pays California taxes that's usually fine.

For tax purposes there isn't a clear list of criteria, there's a general list (PDF link) but you don't need to satisfy every criterion to be considered a California resident. Having a CA driver's license helps, so does local voter registration.
    though school may be something she'd like to do later.

That part depends entirely on the school. Most schools only need to see a local address and a CA driver's license or voter registration card. Some schools (like UCSF for instance) need to see all of the above, plus a fuckton of other stuff (a local utility bill or gym membership, an apartment lease with her name, and a checking account opened at a local branch).

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.